Reload this Page >

Moving to Ibiza.....

Moving to Ibiza.....

Old Nov 2nd 2007, 1:58 am
Just Joined

mason29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to Ibiza.....

Hi all,
I'm soon to be moving to Ibiza in Jan early Feb and i am desperatly in need of some friendly advice about meeting people out there?
Ive been back and forwards for quite a while and spend the majority of my time with my spanish other half and his family but although he assures me there is hundreds of English people living on the island i'm finding it really difficult to find any.
I have 2 little girls so any coffee meet ups, playgroups or my nearly mum in law absolutly loves babysitting so im even up for the odd night out, (i think there is quite alot of good stuff going on in the winter) i'd love to hear from anyone who has any advice or ideas or just any Hello's from Ibiza would be good!
Thanks alot, any advice much appreciated,
Katie xx
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 6:42 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Ibiza.....

I have answered your other post HERE
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

hellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant future

Hi Katie, hope you are looking forward to moving to Ibiza.

I have lived here for 4 months now and even though there are apparently thousands of english people living here, I don't where they all are

In the summer it's difficult to tell who lives here and who doesn't, because everyone looks like tourists, but during the winter I guess they will stick out a bit more!

To be honest I have found it quite hard to meet other English people, although I admit I could have tried harder. I have found it tricky to find out about any kind of groups or clubs that I can join, or even something like exercise classes. I think it depends whereabouts you will live, as we live in a very touristy area that is currently turning into a ghost town as the tourist season dwindles to an end.

As for there being lots to do in the winter, I would love to hear any tips you have as everything round here seems to be closed!

It's great that you already have a network of Spanish people here though, as they will be able to help you integrate and show you around (and babysit )
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 10:30 am
Just Joined

adeibiza is an unknown quantity at this point

IMO most of the english live in the north so when winter comes the main areas to find the expats are santa gertrudis, santa eulalia, san carlos, san juan

spain and ibiza is much more bar/pub culture than it is in the uk - if you want to meet english expats then really you have no choice but to go to the bars - it doesnt mean everyones an alcoholic - its just that that is where everyone goes for their gossip, news, help, lifts, etc
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all your replies, im still getting the hang of this computer lark and think ive entered into to many threads, sorry!

I think probably it is the only way to really meet more people is to go to the bars etc but i just find it quite daunting on my own and sometimes a little clicky.
I was thinking of putting an advert in the Ibiza sun as ive heard of people doing this before so i might give that a whirl!

I really like the winter in Ibiza although quiet there are still little cafes and bars open and one or two places in San antoni and normally some little concerts etc also in feb they have a huge carnival which is brilliant, we went to the big procession in Ibiza town which was amazing and then all got dressed up for the little one in san an and went out after it was a really good night.

Hello, hello kitty, im glad your liking it so much how are you finding settling in and missing home?

Thanks again for the replies,

Katie x
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 11:53 am
Just Joined

the main fiesta is the 3 kings on 5/6th january all over the island - thats the one NOT to miss - also the first week or so of feb is the almond blossum around santa ines - the little village becomes "piccadilly circus"

Old Nov 2nd 2007, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
Ive seen the blossom and it's really beautiful although even better at night ive heard so cant wait to see that!
Have i got my dates all muddled as i was sure it was feb that we went to the carnival last year and now im not so sure?? I think its the pregnancy muddling my mind, Ha Ha!!

Katie x
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

hellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant future

It sounds like you already know the island quite well, so I'm sure you will settle in fine.

Yes I do feel homesick sometimes, to be completely honest with you, and there are lots of things I miss (Shops!!), but you can't beat being able to walk up to the supermarket in a short sleeved top and flipflops in november, and need to wear sunglasses, like me today!!

It will be a different experience for you though, as you obviously already know your partner's family and have contacts here. Also if your children go to school here then you will meet their friends' parents etc that way.

Are you coming here for good, or just temporarily?
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Hiya,
it is true about the walking around in november when the weather is fantastic and doesnt get really cold for ages and even if it does it doesnt last to long untill you know the summer is coming again!
I to miss the shops, im such a shopoholic at home although there is some good shops in Ibiza town Pull and Bear is a brilliant clothes shop! The opening hours kill me, i just cant get used to it but just got to learn to get up and about earlier!!

I feel like i do know my way around but i do find the lack of people to talk to really hard, i have tried finding where other english people hang out but feel a bit of a billy walking into places on my own and trying to randomly strike up a conversation but im gonna try with the advert in the Ibiza Sun.

It is good having my boyfriend and family about as they are the nicest people people and help out loads and really helps with my spanish but his family don't speak a word of English and its really hard work translating and concentrating on what your saying all the time so i really miss just meeting up with friends for a bit of a chat!

Im hopeing it will be for good as the travelling backwards and forwards is getting a bit much and really miss my boyfriend and cant wait just to be settled, the grief i get of mum is loads but as ive said its only a few hours away and in the summer flights go right from my house.

Where abouts do you live? We are in port des torrent just up from the Bahia which i really like as its just enough out of town but within walking distance to everything and 2 minutes from the little beach!
Old Nov 4th 2007, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

I haven't heard of Pull and Bear so I will have to check it out! I must admit I get frustrated by the lack of shops as I am a complete shopaholic and used to live near a huge shopping centre

I have bought a lot of stuff online and had it posted over but I do sometimes wonder how people cope in Ibiza long term and where they buy everything from!

Also, you speak Spanish so that will be a huge help for you settling in (I know a few very basic words but nothing near conversation level!)

We live not far from port des torrent, near the Marvell complex.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hellokittty
I must admit I get frustrated by the lack of shops as I am a complete shopaholic and used to live near a huge shopping centre

I have bought a lot of stuff online and had it posted over but I do sometimes wonder how people cope in Ibiza long term and where they buy everything from!
you should spend a saturday in ibiza town then

head for plaza del parque and the vara de rey
Old Nov 4th 2007, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks! I have had a browse round Ibiza town a couple of times but always ended up getting lost and everywhere seemed to be a bar or a bank!

I obviously wasn't looking hard enough, so I will go back next week. I'd love to find some trendy clothes shops that aren't designer boutiques, a craft supplies type of shop and (in my dreams) I would love to find an equivalent of Boots!
Old Nov 4th 2007, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Hiya,
I would'nt say im fluent in spanish i can understand quite alot but my spoken spanish is terrible i always end up sounding a bit like del boy!! I really need to get over the embarressment factor and it will be better.

I totally now what you mean about the shops, i think we're spoiled a bit in England with all the choice and so many bargains you can pick up!
Whenever i go into Ibiza i always end up on the same road (i should know the name but have no clue, sorry!) It's got a big KFC/pizza hut in the middle and opposite is Pull and Bear and if you carry on down there is another couple of shops similar to new look, top shop etc i think they need an H+M!
When ya find the shops you'll have to let me know what you think?

If you have the time you should get a cheap flight to Barcelona the shops there are amazing, and it's a brilliant place to visit i loved it!

Im not sure of a boots i always pick up my bits and pieces in Suma or the pharmacy in San An and in the bay are really helpful and have most things.

You sound like your loving it out there, it is a beautiful place to live i can't wait to get back out there!
Are you thinking of living permenently in Ibiza or just seeing how it goes?
Old Nov 8th 2007, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Katie

I found Pull and Bear today! I can't believe I have never noticed it before. I thought it was good, reminded me of Republic. I only had a quick visit cos the hubby was in tow and he hates standing around in clothes shops

I also found a shop called Pimkie which was quite like New Look. He's gonna drop me off tomorrow so I can have a proper nose around and maybe by myself a treat I have missed shopping so much!

No we're not thinking of staying here permanently, just here for a year and then we'll see when our contract expires what we want to do. I think I will want to move back to England to be honest, but you never know.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Moving to Ibiza.....

Hiya,
I'm glad you found the shops. If you carry on walking past the pimkie shop nearly to the end there is another good clothes shop, when i go into Ibiza i'm always straight there!! There is other little shops so happy shopping today or tomorrow!!
Im a massive shopoholic and my boyfriend is not the most fussed about shopping with me too, if its motorbike shops he can be at it all day but clothes not to much, i think i live not to far from you so maybe we can meet up for some retail therapy?

At least you will have another summer season out there which is pretty cool, do you not think you'll fall in love with the place and want to stay?
I love it there but no place like home, im always torn by family.

good to hear from you and speak again, x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.