Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Learning Spanish

Learning Spanish

Old Feb 9th 2013, 1:10 am
Just Joined

TiffinTime has a spectacular aura aboutTiffinTime has a spectacular aura aboutTiffinTime has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Learning Spanish

I am absolutely hopeless at learning foreign languages and now I'm knocking on a bit, it's not getting any easier. The weirdest thing is when I'm in Spain I suddenly find I've become fluent in French, and the reverse when I'm in France! I think I have the British disease of frankly rather starving to death than making a fool out of myself by sounding a complete tool through using the wrong word or mispronouncing something!

It doesn't entirely help then when I order in Spanish, in my neck of the woods all the waiters and waitresses speak about six languages, so they reply in fluent English. Although my proudest moment was when the waitress in one of our local restaurants asked me to translate a couple of the dishes on the menu for the benefit of a Dutch couple who spoke English but no Spanish - amazingly; the Dutch normally seem to speak every language under the sun, so I thought that was a bit of a double coup on my part!

I've also bought Rosetta Stone but I'm a bit frightened to even try it. Until I actually live there full time, it's my only hope and I don't want to fail...

A bit pathetic of me, really, but here in England the house is full to the rafters of CDs I've bought that seem to have only taught me that I'm no cunning linguist.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

Watch Hollywood movies dubbed into Spanish. Usually an infantile plot which is easy to follow. Don't translate... assimilate!
Old Feb 9th 2013, 6:59 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barajoz
Interesting read... I didn't want to start a new thread so hope ok to add my bit here.

I'm new to Spanish but am about intermediate level at Portuguese. I made some errors the way I went about things when I 'learnt' Portuguese.

One possible mistake I made was learning from cds, often the accents are not what you hear in your local area.

So my thinking is to skip buying any language courses and just have lessons from a local teacher - starting with 3 hours a week and possibly increasing if I think she's good and I have time. Does that sound like a reasonable plan, anybody have any tips for a Spanish newbie?
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 9th 2013, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barajoz
Interesting read... I didn't want to start a new thread so hope ok to add my bit here.

I'm new to Spanish but am about intermediate level at Portuguese. I made some errors the way I went about things when I 'learnt' Portuguese.

One possible mistake I made was learning from cds, often the accents are not what you hear in your local area.

So my thinking is to skip buying any language courses and just have lessons from a local teacher - starting with 3 hours a week and possibly increasing if I think she's good and I have time. Does that sound like a reasonable plan, anybody have any tips for a Spanish newbie?
I had used some cds to begin learning some Spanish before moving here (not as diligently as I should have) but didn't find them very useful. I had lessons with a local teacher (1 hour per day Monday-Friday for the first month, then 2 hours per week in a small group class for 18 months (supplemented by a few one to one classes with my teacher whenever she moved me up a group, which I asked for so that I could make sure I hadn't skipped anything important. What I did find incredibly useful, once I got to the stage where I could keep a conversation going, was to have an intercambio arrangement with a Spanish person who was learning English, where we met twice a week for an hour, and talked for half the time in Spanish then switched to English, correcting each other's mistakes. I did that for the last 6 months of the 18 that I spent also going to classes, and it was invaluable.

Hard work, but you will reap the benefits.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 9:10 am
Just Joined

barajoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lenox
Watch Hollywood movies dubbed into Spanish. Usually an infantile plot which is easy to follow. Don't translate... assimilate!
Thanks. I'm living in a place where I have no choice but to communicate in Spanish so haven't any choice but to assimilate... anyway I agree

Originally Posted by Rosemary
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.
Rosemary
Thanks

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I had used some cds to begin learning some Spanish before moving here (not as diligently as I should have) but didn't find them very useful. I had lessons with a local teacher (1 hour per day Monday-Friday for the first month, then 2 hours per week in a small group class for 18 months (supplemented by a few one to one classes with my teacher whenever she moved me up a group, which I asked for so that I could make sure I hadn't skipped anything important. What I did find incredibly useful, once I got to the stage where I could keep a conversation going, was to have an intercambio arrangement with a Spanish person who was learning English, where we met twice a week for an hour, and talked for half the time in Spanish then switched to English, correcting each other's mistakes. I did that for the last 6 months of the 18 that I spent also going to classes, and it was invaluable.

Hard work, but you will reap the benefits.
Sounds like you did things in the right way. I'd like to do things as part of a group here (and tbh preferably with mostly non-English speakers - to avoid the inevitable slipping into using English) but don't know of any group classes as yet. Meanwhile I start 1-1 lessons next week. I aso have a contact for an intercambio, so your post is a reminder I have to get in touch with her Anyway thanks very much for the advice Lynn.

Last edited by barajoz; Feb 9th 2013 at 9:12 am.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

your not alone Ive got CDs and loads of books I think you must do whats best for you. I just plod on using every avenue I can

Originally Posted by TiffinTime
I am absolutely hopeless at learning foreign languages and now I'm knocking on a bit, it's not getting any easier. The weirdest thing is when I'm in Spain I suddenly find I've become fluent in French, and the reverse when I'm in France! I think I have the British disease of frankly rather starving to death than making a fool out of myself by sounding a complete tool through using the wrong word or mispronouncing something!

It doesn't entirely help then when I order in Spanish, in my neck of the woods all the waiters and waitresses speak about six languages, so they reply in fluent English. Although my proudest moment was when the waitress in one of our local restaurants asked me to translate a couple of the dishes on the menu for the benefit of a Dutch couple who spoke English but no Spanish - amazingly; the Dutch normally seem to speak every language under the sun, so I thought that was a bit of a double coup on my part!

I've also bought Rosetta Stone but I'm a bit frightened to even try it. Until I actually live there full time, it's my only hope and I don't want to fail...

A bit pathetic of me, really, but here in England the house is full to the rafters of CDs I've bought that seem to have only taught me that I'm no cunning linguist.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

TiffinTime has a spectacular aura aboutTiffinTime has a spectacular aura aboutTiffinTime has a spectacular aura about

Thank God for that!
Old Feb 9th 2013, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

ionie is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I think that cds are useless for learning a language but very good for practicing what you already know so you don't forget anything.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ionie
Personally I think that cds are useless for learning a language but very good for practicing what you already know so you don't forget anything.
Not a huge fan either, but I certainly wouldn´t say all are useless. I used to buy Puerta del Sol, and each DVD came with a 60 page book, not cheap but an excellent product. There are loads of beginners type of courses around, but very few decent intermediate/advanced courses, this fitted the bill perfectly. But it's no longer around, I guess loads start trying to learn, but not many stay the course. DVD's/MP3's are good for sticking in the car to listen to whilst driving around, there's tons of free stuff to download, loads of podcasts, certainly no need nowadays to buy expensive courses.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

Its a bit different if your not living in Spain full time.
So we have to find some way of progressing without total immersion .
I agree its not the best way but your vocabulary will improve.
I learn something new everyday.
I do need practice in conversation Spanish tho badly the girls in the village supermarket always help me and are very encouraging.
They are pleased that every time I see them I can converse a little more.At least make myself understood (topics about our families and health and shopping items) But it is still more than I knew 2 years ago I only knew hola and adios.
I am convinced that one day if chip at it I will get there hopefully

Originally Posted by TiffinTime
Thank God for that!

Last edited by DENISE WALTERS; Feb 10th 2013 at 11:30 am. Reason: sp
Old Feb 10th 2013, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I find Rosetta Stone frustrating to use the voice recognition is very pedantic , although for learning words as a flash card system it is good but expensive. I quite like the Paul Noble course audio only plus booklet. Same principle as Michelle Thomas but not as tedious or boring. http://www.audible.co.uk/pd?asin=B004FTXNAQ&bp_ua=y
Old Feb 10th 2013, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

I also use duolingo on line which goes through basics I am now looking at verbs ,you can also converse with others as you would with Rosetta I guess,
I dont do this as yet maybe I ought to try.
Its good for consolidating things in my long term mermory which is a free language learning programme, but as I said I do loads of different avenues as it makes learning more fun . As I get bored using the same learnig method.

Last edited by DENISE WALTERS; Feb 10th 2013 at 11:37 am.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Claire80tl is an unknown quantity at this point

My Spanish is getting there slowly but surely - maybe it's the preggers brain:S?
Old Feb 10th 2013, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes boredom is the worst thing, Got to keep trying though
Old Feb 10th 2013, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DENISE WALTERS
Its a bit different if your not living in Spain full time.
To a point, but most UK areas now have Spanish there, a language exchange is not difficult. Plus with skype, it doesn't matter where you are, I bet many expats don't sit down for a solid hour speaking in Spanish. We have a weekly meeting here in UK and it's 2 hours of Spanish with a native Spanish speaker, not a word of English. Plus most of the Spanish TV channels are available on internet, there's really no excuse nowadays. Just need to apply ourselves, that's the hard bit!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.