Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Kindle & Amazon.com

Kindle & Amazon.com

Old Mar 7th 2011, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindle & Amazon.com

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
So why do they say it´s not possible?
You also say that you mainly use a UK account. Have you ever used a Spanish one?
Old Mar 7th 2011, 4:47 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Because, as I said, they have some weird rules that say that they will not deliver a Kindle to Spain.

They will deliver most other things but not a Kindle.

Crazy!!!!
Old Mar 7th 2011, 5:31 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea .... because it is!

You also say that you mainly use a UK account. Have you ever used a Spanish one?
I had my Spanish Visa card on it a few years ago. I came to the conclusion though it wasn't worth it so changed it to a UK one.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I have no idea .... because it is!

I had my Spanish Visa card on it a few years ago. I came to the conclusion though it wasn't worth it so changed it to a UK one.
Their site is so contradictory. On one bit it says you cannot register an international card and then another talks about currency converters and accepts Euros.

Last edited by Chiclanagir; Mar 7th 2011 at 5:35 pm. Reason: spelling error
Old Mar 7th 2011, 5:45 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Their site is so contradictory. On one bit it says you cannot register an international card and then another talks about currency converters and accepts Euros.
The sites should work together. I cant remember if I mentioned I was given a $ gift cert on the US site. When I tried to use it I found I couldn't. Couldnt download books, music, and the sellers wouldn't post to the UK. So I complained to Amazon ..They said there was nothing they could do and gave me a $10 additional token as a "sorry". Of course ... I cant use that either so now I have $20 in gift tokens
Old Mar 7th 2011, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
The sites should work together. I cant remember if I mentioned I was given a $ gift cert on the US site. When I tried to use it I found I couldn't. Couldnt download books, music, and the sellers wouldn't post to the UK. So I complained to Amazon ..They said there was nothing they could do and gave me a $10 additional token as a "sorry". Of course ... I cant use that either so now I have $20 in gift tokens
That makes no sense whatsoever.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fred James
Because, as I said, they have some weird rules that say that they will not deliver a Kindle to Spain.

They will deliver most other things but not a Kindle.

Crazy!!!!
Could this have anything to do with copyright laws in Spain which are far more relaxed than the UK?

Jim
Old Mar 8th 2011, 8:41 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
Could this have anything to do with copyright laws in Spain which are far more relaxed than the UK?

Jim
I doubt it as the same situation applies to ANY shipment outside the UK.

The most plausible explanation I have seen is that on the 3G version it will be locked into a UK mobile airtime supplier and it would not necessarily work outside the UK. The "Global" version from the US does not have this limitation.

Of course, that argument doesn't hold up if you accept that a UK version would have to work in Spain when the owner went there on holiday!

Anyway, the 3G option is really not worth then extra cash and the WiFi version surely will work anywhere there is a free WiFi hotspot.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

According to the Kindle Forum there is a large price disparity between US and UK prices.

e.g. "This book by Michael Morange is being sold in the UK for £10.80. In the US, I think it costs only $4.64."

Now that is a good reason for keepng the UK and US sales separate if it is correct.

Jim
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:55 am
Senior Moment

According to the Kindle Forum there is a large price disparity between US and UK prices.

e.g. "This book by Michael Morange is being sold in the UK for £10.80. In the US, I think it costs only $4.64."

Now that is a good reason for keepng the UK and US sales separate if it is correct.

Jim
Yep, well that's one book for sure, and I guess there will be more, maybe both ways ... but as I mentioned, you don't get the same books on .com as on .co.uk. For a UK user, the choice was not so good when we looked at it.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim
There is a Kindle forum?
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:57 am
Senior Moment

There is a Kindle forum?
Yep
On amazon

You have to remember its amazon based though
Old Mar 8th 2011, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

It depends who you like to read...if you want any up & coming UK authors then you won't find them on the US site.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well after six pages of advice I have finally taken the plunge and bought my Kindle from the UK site having it delivered to a friend in the UK but was able to pay for it in euros which was what I wanted even though I have paid a horrendous exchange rate. Wish I could get 1.20 for money coming over.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

Right...well give it a few books before you judge it, I hated mine at first but now love it. Half my problem though is I had ordered a gel case for it and couldn't work out how to turn the pages as the case was covering the arrows at the side! Always a good idea to read the manual...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.