Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Kindle & Amazon.com

Kindle & Amazon.com

Old Mar 19th 2011, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of
Default Re: Kindle & Amazon.com

Sob!!!! Just got my kindle out of my bag and the screen looks like it has shattered, but on the inside not the external screen. Have emailed amazon, not sure if they'll replace it though as it looks like something has banged it though to my knowledge nothing has. Soooooo gutted. Guess a good advert for getting a cover that protects the screen as a stick on screen protector hasnt helped.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene
Sob!!!! Just got my kindle out of my bag and the screen looks like it has shattered, but on the inside not the external screen. Have emailed amazon, not sure if they'll replace it though as it looks like something has banged it though to my knowledge nothing has. Soooooo gutted. Guess a good advert for getting a cover that protects the screen as a stick on screen protector hasnt helped.
Sorry to hear that Supreme g paperbacks are very resilient
Old Mar 19th 2011, 7:50 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

You may have it replaced by Amazon, a couple of years ago the screens had a high failure rate and to stave off a class action in court Amazon agreed to replace for free. I hope that this will be your case.

Graham
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:06 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I dont suppose its much help now, but the first thing we did was buy a cover for it, which also acts as a stand so you can read it without holding it.

I suppose anything with a screen that you carry around a lot is going to need some protection
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I dont suppose its much help now, but the first thing we did was buy a cover for it, which also acts as a stand so you can read it without holding it.

I suppose anything with a screen that you carry around a lot is going to need some protection
Whilst waiting for my cover to arrive I have put mine in a padded envelope. Haven´t quite got into yet. Just finished a really good book in paperback and finding it hard to switch over.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

How do I delete books from it?
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:56 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
How do I delete books from it?
You highlight the book title in the list of books, press the right hand side of the square button and it comes up with a menu. Choose delete
Old Mar 19th 2011, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

I had a gel case and stick on screen protector. They are sending a replacement will be with hubby in Uk on tues. I asked whether I needed to invest in a case that covered the screen and mentioned they advertise it in back pockets so surely it shouldn't break so easily...they told me my replacement should not break and there is a 'rare' issue with screens of some kindles. I have been reassured if the next one breaks I will also get that replaced. Bit disappointing though, I'm going to be paranoid with it now (
Old Mar 19th 2011, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
You highlight the book title in the list of books, press the right hand side of the square button and it comes up with a menu. Choose delete
Thank you, sorted now. Any other little gems that I should know about?
Old Mar 19th 2011, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have a lot of books by the same author and you can group them into a collection so they dont clog up your screen. You could have books grouped by type if you wished. It took me a good few books to get into mine but now I'm without it I feel lost. It will take a while. G
Old Mar 20th 2011, 9:38 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Books are often read underwater by divers on decompression stops
I bought a Wifi Kindle 3 this weekend - sent to a UK address. In the meantime I can order books and when I go over to see friends at the end of the week (I live in Belgium) I will pick it up and the books will download on wifi (either there or here). I use my Euro credit card registered to my Belgium address and have set the UK delivery address up as my default 1 click address.

We have a great bookclub where we are, but the Kindle allows me to have lots of books at hand. Mainly (for us) because of baggage restrictions we cant hand carry books for the weight. So we rarely have books to swap.

I chose the Kindle as I preferred not to get a 'jack of all trades' with a tablet. Which is also much more expensive and heavier. The Kindle3 goes in a jacket pocket. It is also designed for reading, so uses electronic ink so it actually looks like paper. Perfect in full sunshine as well. Something specifically designed for reading, lightweight and clear - with a library of books available and stored. At night you need a light as you would with a book. I bought a LED light on ebay for a fiver and a 'tuff luv' cover from Amazon.

Ive already pre-loaded about 100 books mainly free ones and the most expensive so far is 71p. So for me with the huge choice we have, I dont worry about whether or not things are cheaper in the US. I doubt if Ive spent more than a fiver so far. Theres so much choice the discussion is a bit academic I think.

Also with Calibre you have access to all the books w.wide. Also its recommended that you back up on your PC, and with wifi switched off (recommended for battery use) Amazon cant then steal your book. Theres a great set of videos on Youtube about the kindle and calibre (the calibre one from the developer). Once Ive figured out Calibre I will use that I think for the back up.

Im a big book fan and love the page turning experience, but this is just more handy when travelling. I just wish I could buy newspapers daily as opposed to a subscription so I can get the papers when away easily.

On ebay you can buy a waterproof cover for about 8quid on ebay. No one should go swimming, but this may be a good idea on the beach, as sand is a killer. So I would buy that just for sand protection.. and as a secondary requirement in case it rains or I am near water and get the occasional splash.

So in a weeks time I will have over 100 books to read - i wonder if Ill ever get through them.!

My wife dragged me away from the computer yesterday when she saw how many books I had already ordered!

Regards
Jon
Old Mar 20th 2011, 11:02 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
I bought a Wifi Kindle 3 this weekend - sent to a UK address. In the meantime I can order books and when I go over to see friends at the end of the week (I live in Belgium) I will pick it up and the books will download on wifi (either there or here). I use my Euro credit card registered to my Belgium address and have set the UK delivery address up as my default 1 click address.

We have a great bookclub where we are, but the Kindle allows me to have lots of books at hand. Mainly (for us) because of baggage restrictions we cant hand carry books for the weight. So we rarely have books to swap.

I chose the Kindle as I preferred not to get a 'jack of all trades' with a tablet. Which is also much more expensive and heavier. The Kindle3 goes in a jacket pocket. It is also designed for reading, so uses electronic ink so it actually looks like paper. Perfect in full sunshine as well. Something specifically designed for reading, lightweight and clear - with a library of books available and stored. At night you need a light as you would with a book. I bought a LED light on ebay for a fiver and a 'tuff luv' cover from Amazon.

Ive already pre-loaded about 100 books mainly free ones and the most expensive so far is 71p. So for me with the huge choice we have, I dont worry about whether or not things are cheaper in the US. I doubt if Ive spent more than a fiver so far. Theres so much choice the discussion is a bit academic I think.

Also with Calibre you have access to all the books w.wide. Also its recommended that you back up on your PC, and with wifi switched off (recommended for battery use) Amazon cant then steal your book. Theres a great set of videos on Youtube about the kindle and calibre (the calibre one from the developer). Once Ive figured out Calibre I will use that I think for the back up.

Im a big book fan and love the page turning experience, but this is just more handy when travelling. I just wish I could buy newspapers daily as opposed to a subscription so I can get the papers when away easily.

On ebay you can buy a waterproof cover for about 8quid on ebay. No one should go swimming, but this may be a good idea on the beach, as sand is a killer. So I would buy that just for sand protection.. and as a secondary requirement in case it rains or I am near water and get the occasional splash.

So in a weeks time I will have over 100 books to read - i wonder if Ill ever get through them.!

My wife dragged me away from the computer yesterday when she saw how many books I had already ordered!

Regards
Jon
Deleted some 50 books from my kindle yesterday, and loaded about the same number, mainly a huge Clive Cussler collection. So far my total spend on books for it has been... ermm... £0.00, so not bad...
Old Mar 20th 2011, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

A friend has just come around and shown me how to use the calibre and I now have some lovely books on it. Just need the time to read them now!
Old Mar 21st 2011, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Justlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud of

I thought those interested in electrobooks might like to go here

www.tabletreaderinfo.com

They have done a good comparison with piccies of the screens of competition for the Kindle.

Sure looks like Kindle wins if you are in the sun!!

Last edited by Justlookin; Mar 21st 2011 at 2:17 am.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 2:52 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justlookin
I thought those interested in electrobooks might like to go here

www.tabletreaderinfo.com

They have done a good comparison with piccies of the screens of competition for the Kindle.

Sure looks like Kindle wins if you are in the sun!!
I must admit that I was planning to buy an android of some sort or another but the problem with the sunlight has put me off. Also buying a Kindle from USA at the equivalent of 85.50 UK pounds makes the decision rather easy.

Graham

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.