Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ivanmax is back-You ready for a Spanish bankruptcy?)

Ivanmax is back-You ready for a Spanish bankruptcy?)

Old Jun 14th 2010, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Fredthered is a jewel in the roughFredthered is a jewel in the roughFredthered is a jewel in the roughFredthered is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Ivanmax is back-You ready for a Spanish bankruptcy?)

Obama has annoyed me so much in recent days over his anti-British comments, that I’m strongly considering not buying any more Coca Cola, but what else can you put in Vodka to make it taste nice?[/QUOTE]

Lime ? or how about a Vodka 'Tequila' Sunrise (with the Grenadine etc.) ?

As far as Obama is concerned, (who clearly showed the writing on wall, when he repudiated the 'special-relationship'), I say : 'GREAT' !!!
'Let's pull out all our young lads who are losing limbs and lives, and leave these eternally ungrateful, trigger-happy sobs to their own devices'.

I for one. am sick of seeing 'poodles' like Blair, jumping on the shovel, every time America shouts : 'SH*T' ! and volunteering OUR sons (although NOT his own, you understand) to make some corner of some foreign field : forever England !
Incidently, only for the certainty, that British firms will get the sh*tty end of the stick, when it comes to the contracts for repairing the destroyed infrastructure of the countries concerned, which are already awarded BEFORE the first shot ! (remarkably and inexplicably though, our Premier's personal finances positively bloomed).
Funny old Life, innit ?

Rant over. (climbs down off soap-box).

Cheers
Fredthered

Last edited by Fredthered; Jun 14th 2010 at 7:43 am.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 9:23 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

When the US and UK invaded Iraq I wanted to boycott all American products, then I realised the only one I couldnt do without was Coca Cola. There was a news article about the Muslim version of Coca Cola that launched in the UK, but I could never find it on sale!
When the Iraq war started, I stopped putting Coca Cola in my Vodka for quite a while. I didn’t get along with fresh orange or tomato juice, tonic or anything else. Tia Maria came close but that cried out for a dash of coke too, and I got double vision after more than a couple.

Then I realised that the Spanish were out there as well, along with a whole bunch of others, limiting my choice even further.

But I realised that the Germans had refused to take part, but what did they sell apart from Schnapps and you couldn’t really add that to Vodka, it would blow your head off.

Lidl had the answer, they sold their own brand of Coke, brewed in Berlin, for about 10 centimes a litre I showed those war-mongering Yanks, even though the best Smirnoff tasted like diesel when mixed with German coke.

I missed the decadent Coca Cola taste and eventually went back to it and I’m trying to excuse Obama, what would I think of the Brits if my grandfather had been in the Mau Mau and had been tortured by them (the Brits)?

I might try the Mercadona coke at the weekend, it’s got to be better than Lidl’s.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 11:44 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I recall watching a documentary a few year back about some small villages in India which had major problems because they had lost their supply of fresh water.
Well,.. why was that you may well ask?
Because Coca Cola had set up a large factory in the area using cheap labour and other local resources,..including tapping off for their own use virtually all the natural water supply which had previously supplied the local villages.

Another, just prior to the Beijing Olympics showed how various other Coca Cola products had been made from slave labour in Chinese political prisons.

Regarding the oil spill,apparently there was a much worse one in the Gulf of Mexico back in 79.
Strange,I can't remember hearing anything about it at the time!
Whilst Obama is ranting on, in his holier than thou attitude about the present mishap, he would do well to remember which Country has had an almost unquenchable thirst and greed for oil for the past hundred years or so with its gas guzzling cars and all.
Who was to blame for the mishap anyway?
Could it be the sub-contactors who run the rig who are hardly mentioned?
Could it have been a mistake by USA personnel on the rig?
Could it have been a USA manufactured componant at fault?
Of course not,it had to be British Petroleum.
Wonder why I'm fast losing respect for Pres. Obama?

Rant over,back to topic.
Sadly I'm inclined to agree with the ever so cheerful chappy,Ivanmax,that things are likely to get much,much worse before they get better.
However life goes on, and hopefully I will try not to let it get me down,and shall endeavour to continue enjoying the good side of life in Spain, as long as I have as much as a peseta in my pocket.
Remember folks,always look on the bright side of life.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

Keep that Peseta in your pocket...
it'll be useful one day soon!!
Old Jun 14th 2010, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

ivanmax will become famous soon enoughivanmax will become famous soon enough

Oh yes...We may be having a neopeseta pretty soon. If that happens I will be returning to the UK. Nevermind the weather or the gloomy skies...
Old Jun 14th 2010, 7:05 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ivanmax
Oh yes...We may be having a neopeseta pretty soon. If that happens I will be returning to the UK. Nevermind the weather or the gloomy skies...
I loved the Peseta. If it comes back, I’ll stop thinking about selling up in Spain and I will stay in this lovely country until my ashes are scattered in the Mediterranean.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 7:21 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thinking about the return of the Peseta for a bit longer, the million empty houses would be sold in a matter of weeks and the Mediterranean coast would come alive again, with swinging cranes and full employment.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Thinking about the return of the Peseta for a bit longer, the million empty houses would be sold in a matter of weeks and the Mediterranean coast would come alive again, with swinging cranes and full employment.
Well kind of...

If they brought the peseta back it would be to hyperinflate it, to reduce the dects down to smaller amounts. This would be fine for British pensioners as their pensions would start to go a very long way! But anyone who has Euro savings or relies on a Spanish wage would be in serious trouble.

Plus if the Eurozone breaks up, then maybe the European trade agreements would as well, meaning the economies would keep sinking and sinking. Who knows, maybe they would get rid of the right of Europeans to live outside of their country too! Who knows where it will stop

Given that Belgium, the so-called capital of the EU have voted in a nationalist seperatist party, anything can happen!
Old Jun 15th 2010, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenox
Keep that Peseta in your pocket...
it'll be useful one day soon!!

Yep and if it dose come back you may even get two of them for your house
Old Jun 15th 2010, 1:01 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor

What do you mean, if the peseta comes back?

It has never left, if you speak to older Spanish, they will tell you that their new car cost 4 million.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
What do you mean, if the peseta comes back?

It has never left, if you speak to older Spanish, they will tell you that their new car cost 4 million.
Very true , I know Spanish in their 30`s who still work prices back to pesatas
Old Jun 15th 2010, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

ivanmax will become famous soon enoughivanmax will become famous soon enough

Oh yes!!! We love our old pesetas! It´s been 8 years since the euro arrived and we still keep using the peseta in our minds. Well, you say old habits die hard don´t you?
Old Jun 15th 2010, 8:09 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rotor
A valid point, but we all came over to enjoy our new lives, never intending to go back. It’s only the fall in our incomes that made us think of a return.

If our income returned to the old levels, why would we want to sell up and return?

I appreciate that I’m talking about people with a UK income, like myself, and not for those earning their income here in Spain.

My wife has a Spanish income and she would lose out if prices were inflated after the return of the Peseta, but I’m not sure that they would.

If our house was indeed valued at two Pesetas after the change, it wouldn’t worry us because we wouldn’t be selling.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 5:07 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Well kind of...

If they brought the peseta back it would be to hyperinflate it, to reduce the dects down to smaller amounts. This would be fine for British pensioners as their pensions would start to go a very long way!
How would hyperinflation (rapidly rising cost of living) help people on fixed incomes?
Old Jun 15th 2010, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
How would hyperinflation (rapidly rising cost of living) help people on fixed incomes?
Only those who have a fixed income in pound. A pound would suddenly be worth a lot of pesetas!

If the rise in prices increases faster than the exchange rate then you are right, noone would benefit