Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ivanmax is back-You ready for a Spanish bankruptcy?)

Ivanmax is back-You ready for a Spanish bankruptcy?)

Old Jun 11th 2010, 8:11 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ivanmax is back-You ready for a Spanish bankruptcy?)

Originally Posted by HBG
No, Point Clear - the posh bit.
ooh we used to go there as kids!!
Old Jun 11th 2010, 9:33 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
ooh we used to go there as kids!!
Appropriate or not, I can’t resist it. I had a caravan at Point Clear for some years, on the old part of the site, right next to the sea. The site management didn’t want us there, and we weren’t allowed during the winter months. We weren’t plumbed in either.

I remember an illicit weekend away from the stresses of London, in mid-winter, when we sampled the delights of St Osyths and returned to the caravan laden with a vindaloo curry and cans of lager.

At four in the morning I had to brave the rains and wind to sprint to the communal toilet block, a hundred yards away.

The toilet block was empty, but the lights worked and ten empty cubicles stretched in front of me. I got into the first one and regretted eating a strong curry along with too many pints of lager.

Suddenly, I heard another man going into the cubicle next to mine. From the noises I mused that he must have had the same curry take-away.

But the noises from next door made me feel even worse and I finished my business and left my lonely cubicle to wash my hands at one of the nearby sinks.

When I looked in the cracked mirror, I saw that my hair was standing on end. I had long hair at the time and it looked funny. I looked back at the toilet cubicles and saw that they were all empty. Feeling brave, I walked along the line of them.

When I realised that they were all empty, I raced across the wet, long grass until I reached the safety of my caravan. I put it up for sale the next week.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 9:43 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Appropriate or not, I can’t resist it. I had a caravan at Point Clear for some years, on the old part of the site, right next to the sea. The site management didn’t want us there, and we weren’t allowed during the winter months. We weren’t plumbed in either.

I remember an illicit weekend away from the stresses of London, in mid-winter, when we sampled the delights of St Osyths and returned to the caravan laden with a vindaloo curry and cans of lager.

At four in the morning I had to brave the rains and wind to sprint to the communal toilet block, a hundred yards away.

The toilet block was empty, but the lights worked and ten empty cubicles stretched in front of me. I got into the first one and regretted eating a strong curry along with too many pints of lager.

Suddenly, I heard another man going into the cubicle next to mine. From the noises I mused that he must have had the same curry take-away.

But the noises from next door made me feel even worse and I finished my business and left my lonely cubicle to wash my hands at one of the nearby sinks.

When I looked in the cracked mirror, I saw that my hair was standing on end. I had long hair at the time and it looked funny. I looked back at the toilet cubicles and saw that they were all empty. Feeling brave, I walked along the line of them.

When I realised that they were all empty, I raced across the wet, long grass until I reached the safety of my caravan. I put it up for sale the next week.
like that?

Old Jun 11th 2010, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by HBG

The toilet block was empty, but the lights worked and ten empty cubicles stretched in front of me

At least you live to tell the story! I laughed. Oh the good old days!
Old Jun 11th 2010, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

ivanmax will become famous soon enoughivanmax will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by HBG

That sounds like an episode of "Father Ted"
Old Jun 12th 2010, 1:25 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
No, Point Clear - the posh bit.
Used to go to the Ferryboat Inn (?) there and watch Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac when they were good, before they got the yanks joining them and changing the music.

Old Jun 12th 2010, 9:23 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it’s the Ferryboat Inn, I haven’t seen Fleetwood Mac there, but I was writing out a betting slip once when Lennie Peters walked in. And Charlie Kray used to have a caravan there, on the little site, next door to Point Clear, right next to the Ferryboat.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 9:28 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Yes, it’s the Ferryboat Inn, I haven’t seen Fleetwood Mac there, but I was writing out a betting slip once when Lennie Peters walked in. And Charlie Kray used to have a caravan there, on the little site, next door to Point Clear, right next to the Ferryboat.
Was 40 odd years ago.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

So, I'm lost here - who is going bankrupt, Spain or Fleetwood Mac?
Old Jun 12th 2010, 6:47 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Lenox
So, I'm lost here - who is going bankrupt, Spain or Fleetwood Mac?
Mick Fleetwood got there first!!

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/fwm/inde...d=370&Itemid=9
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:39 am
Just Joined

James Salobrena will become famous soon enough

Ivanmax, understandably a lot of people do not want to hear what you are saying but I do think it will get worse before getting better. The problem with Spain is the government is not doing much but beyond that how can Spain create the wealth that it had before to maintain its accounts without the income from tourists and construction?
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:46 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

without the income from tourists and construction?
Important though it is, you have to remember that Spain and Spanish companies now earn money in other areas - see Zara, Santander etc. Indeed will BA switching from Heathrow to Madrid not bring more money (see other thread)? I understand that tourism accounts for around 18% of the nation's income, so although it's sizeable, it's not everything. Plus in some areas it's not declined - the number of visits from France actually increased last year. Lastly, if the pound continues to increase in value against the Euro, you may see Brits start to come back. It's a big "may" though as people are predicting a double-dip recession in the UK once the cuts hit.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 7:50 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Important though it is, you have to remember that Spain and Spanish companies now earn money in other areas - see Zara, Santander etc. Indeed will BA switching from Heathrow to Madrid not bring more money (see other thread)? I understand that tourism accounts for around 18% of the nation's income, so although it's sizeable, it's not everything. Plus in some areas it's not declined - the number of visits from France actually increased last year. Lastly, if the pound continues to increase in value against the Euro, you may see Brits start to come back. It's a big "may" though as people are predicting a double-dip recession in the UK once the cuts hit.
The problem that the tourist places face is that the "only 18 percent" affects the areas concerned very badly.

The like of Zara employ a lot of people in their manufacturing but really this is only in and around Arteixo/Coruna, which is not a tourist area.

There are a few employed in the shops, but that is a small amount in comparison.

So although the tourism brings in a relatively "small" percentage, it is confined to certain areas onlyl.

I visited Torrevieja last week, and the state of the roads and pavements is abysmal, compare that to say Ponferrada, where everything is ship shape.

You can see the lack of money around Torreveija, and I am sure that the decline is related to the lack of tourists.

When a mine closed in the UK, it might not have damaged the UK as a whole to any great extent, but it destroyed those in the immediate vecinity and ruined many villages.

The tourist industy works along the same lines as the mine, if it fail in certain places, nearly all business fail.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 8:40 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
The problem that the tourist places face is that the "only 18 percent" affects the areas concerned very badly.

The like of Zara employ a lot of people in their manufacturing but really this is only in and around Arteixo/Coruna, which is not a tourist area.

There are a few employed in the shops, but that is a small amount in comparison.

So although the tourism brings in a relatively "small" percentage, it is confined to certain areas onlyl.

I visited Torrevieja last week, and the state of the roads and pavements is abysmal, compare that to say Ponferrada, where everything is ship shape.

You can see the lack of money around Torreveija, and I am sure that the decline is related to the lack of tourists.

When a mine closed in the UK, it might not have damaged the UK as a whole to any great extent, but it destroyed those in the immediate vecinity and ruined many villages.

The tourist industy works along the same lines as the mine, if it fail in certain places, nearly all business fail.
I'm not disagreeing with you - in areas that are solely dependant on tourism then obviously it's 100% the most important issue. Worth remembering though that not all tourists are from the UK, and not everywhere saw a decline (although a lot of areas have been hit hard). The light at the end of the tunnel is that tourism should recover at some point (it did so both in the 80s and in the 90s). Unless every western economy goes down, in which case we're all doomed of course
Old Jun 13th 2010, 9:05 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I'm not disagreeing with you - in areas that are solely dependant on tourism then obviously it's 100% the most important issue. Worth remembering though that not all tourists are from the UK, and not everywhere saw a decline (although a lot of areas have been hit hard). The light at the end of the tunnel is that tourism should recover at some point (it did so both in the 80s and in the 90s). Unless every western economy goes down, in which case we're all doomed of course
We're all doomed I tell yee,..Dooooomed ! .

http://home.btconnect.com/rdi/frazer.jpg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.