Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

it's not all gloom & doom

it's not all gloom & doom

Old Oct 6th 2010, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold
Default it's not all gloom & doom

I have been housebound for 2 weeks with a broken foot & today was my first day I have been allowed out on crutches.

Well after a completely non scientific survey of a half day out struggling round the bank, farmacy, supermarket, cafe I have to say people here in Spain are ever so helpful. Not just the people who know me but strangers in the street offering help, can you believe it.

It is so nice when struggling down the street to be smiled at, everyone says something, doors opened, shopping trolley pushed. I have to stop for a rest every 100 meters to sit down (I am useless on the crutches) & people stop & ask if you are ok.

So against the run of nearly of all the threads on here re doom & gloom I have to say I find everyone really helpful - not all Spanish but all nationalities I met today on my hobbles.

Thanks to everyone who helped - it's massively appreciated. I have to think if I were the in the same position in the UK whether I would get the same reception.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all
Default Re: it's not all gloom & doom

speak for yourself,pooley mate. i was in the bank today and had to wait ages for a fella with a pair of crutches to get served. went to the pharmacy next and blow me,he was in front and monopolizing the staff again...so i tried my luck in the cafe,,,you guessed it, bloody crutch boy was there before me,legs akimbo,staff fawning all over him. makes me sick. I bet he was faking it.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 7:59 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta have a swift look on Ebay,see if I can grab a cheap pair of S/H crutches before they're all gone.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:01 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

huh, he's started "a run" on crutches...
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

cheeky sods - you can have mine in 1 month!!!!

they are 15e at a pharmacia in case you want free priority boarding on Ryanair.

seriously guys, everyone has been brilliant. You don't give much thought when you are fully able for the people not so lucky. Completely changed my view now.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 9:34 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Get well soon Poolboy.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poolboy
cheeky sods - you can have mine in 1 month!!!!

they are 15e at a pharmacia in case you want free priority boarding on Ryanair.

seriously guys, everyone has been brilliant. You don't give much thought when you are fully able for the people not so lucky. Completely changed my view now.
Took a Ryanair flight from Malaga a few weeks ago and there was a woman on crutches totally outraged that she wasn't being given priority boarding. "I can't stand up for long in queues" she said. Staff just said to sit down and she could board after everyone else.
Thing is, she could have paid for priority boarding, then when the usually small priority queue has almost gone, she could have stood up and gone to the gate. But no, she obviously expected to be given priority just for being on crutches.

Whilst I have every sympathy for anyone with a disability, people shouldn't play on it and just expect priority treatment.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 11:24 am
Account Closed

St. John is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by michaleen oge
speak for yourself,pooley mate. i was in the bank today and had to wait ages for a fella with a pair of crutches to get served. went to the pharmacy next and blow me,he was in front and monopolizing the staff again...so i tried my luck in the cafe,,,you guessed it, bloody crutch boy was there before me,legs akimbo,staff fawning all over him. makes me sick. I bet he was faking it.
I can only walk with crutches, have had to do so for seven years. I find that most people are kind and helpful although they never give up their place in the queue nor would I expect them to. The worst hazard is the highly polished floors in Spanish banks/shops etc., you have to walk slowly, especially after a downpour, otherwise you will end up flat on your face. I tell you what - I'll gladly come over to you and break both your bloody legs and then, when you are able to hobble about on crutches, you will see what it is like.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

ShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really nice

Originally Posted by St. John
I tell you what - I'll gladly come over to you and break both your bloody legs and then, when you are able to hobble about on crutches, you will see what it is like.
Do crutches mean you lose your sense of humour too? Try reading the post again
Old Oct 7th 2010, 11:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ShinyAndy
Do crutches mean you lose your sense of humour too? Try reading the post again
I did not consider the post I commented on to have any humour.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

I can only walk with crutches, have had to do so for seven years. I find that most people are kind and helpful although they never give up their place in the queue nor would I expect them to. The worst hazard is the highly polished floors in Spanish banks/shops etc., you have to walk slowly, especially after a downpour, otherwise you will end up flat on your face. I tell you what - I'll gladly come over to you and break both your bloody legs and then, when you are able to hobble about on crutches, you will see what it is like.
Blimey! You've got a right chip on your shoulder haven't you?
Old Oct 7th 2010, 12:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by billgates
Blimey! You've got a right chip on your shoulder haven't you?
Not at all.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by billgates
Took a Ryanair flight from Malaga a few weeks ago and there was a woman on crutches totally outraged that she wasn't being given priority boarding. "I can't stand up for long in queues" she said. Staff just said to sit down and she could board after everyone else.
Thing is, she could have paid for priority boarding, then when the usually small priority queue has almost gone, she could have stood up and gone to the gate. But no, she obviously expected to be given priority just for being on crutches.

Whilst I have every sympathy for anyone with a disability, people shouldn't play on it and just expect priority treatment.
On the other hand ... I was at Valencia a few weeks ago and was near to the back of the queue for a flight which was obviously fully booked. A man and his 5 year old daughter started queuing behind me, as Easyjet hadn't 'pre-boarded' people travelling with young children - he didn't have the nerve to go up to the front of the queue and ask so that he could be sure he and his daughter would be able to sit together
Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by noelrosie
On the other hand ... I was at Valencia a few weeks ago and was near to the back of the queue for a flight which was obviously fully booked. A man and his 5 year old daughter started queuing behind me, as Easyjet hadn't 'pre-boarded' people travelling with young children - he didn't have the nerve to go up to the front of the queue and ask so that he could be sure he and his daughter would be able to sit together
I've seen that situation often enough. Usually though, most people will be happy to move to a different seat to allow young children to sit with a parent. The cabin crew will also sometimes ask if anyone would mind moving to provide two or three seats together for a young family.

Likewise for someone on crutches who really could use a seat with a bit of extra legroom - I, and many others, would happily swap.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:18 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I did not consider the post I commented on to have any humour.
I often have to use crutches

occasionally a wheelchair

I thought it was hilarious

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.