Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

I want to come back

I want to come back

Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

lynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the rough
Default I want to come back

Hi
Just looking for some advice really. I lived in Benidorm for a couple of years but moved back to the UK as my teenage daughter was missing my parents too much. However we have all had trouble settling here including my daughter. I alone have put on 4 stone in weight due to the lack of healthy living, motivation and being generally depressed about having to return to the UK. My daughter absolutely loathes being in the UK as well as my partner. I would love to return but would have to try and secure a large enough rented home with land and a granny flat attached for my parents to come often as that was the issue the last time. I would also have to find some form of work. im not fussed at all about what i would do as im a taxi driver in the UK so dont have any fancy big career to throw away. My husband would contune to run his home internet business which we done in Spain before. I know my parents would be so upset for me to return but honestly I just cant do this anymore here. I feel trapped and so unhappy. I am looking on doing this within 2 years. Any advice or comments would so be appreciated.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of
Default Re: I want to come back

Originally Posted by lynda32
Hi
Just looking for some advice really. I lived in Benidorm for a couple of years but moved back to the UK as my teenage daughter was missing my parents too much. However we have all had trouble settling here including my daughter. I alone have put on 4 stone in weight due to the lack of healthy living, motivation and being generally depressed about having to return to the UK. My daughter absolutely loathes being in the UK as well as my partner. I would love to return but would have to try and secure a large enough rented home with land and a granny flat attached for my parents to come often as that was the issue the last time. I would also have to find some form of work. im not fussed at all about what i would do as im a taxi driver in the UK so dont have any fancy big career to throw away. My husband would contune to run his home internet business which we done in Spain before. I know my parents would be so upset for me to return but honestly I just cant do this anymore here. I feel trapped and so unhappy. I am looking on doing this within 2 years. Any advice or comments would so be appreciated.
Lynda

Go for it. Years ago we lived on a kibbutz and left. A huge mistake but we went back and it was the right decision. You know what you are going back to and that's the main thing. Happiness is the main thing and your parents are only 2 hours away.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 12:26 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Why wait? RyanAir flies three times a week from Glasgow. Property rentals are at rock bottom prices. Start up your own mini cab business.

Live a little, love a lot
Old Feb 1st 2010, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Why wait? RyanAir flies three times a week from Glasgow. Property rentals are at rock bottom prices. Start up your own mini cab business.

Live a little, love a lot
erm, if you have 50,000 euros of so to buy a licensed legal cab then sure
Old Feb 1st 2010, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
And I'm sure the local taxistas would welcome you with open arms!
Bit confused about the unhealthy diet, what did you used to eat in Spain you can't get in Glasgow? I'd have thought you could eat healthily wherever you were in the world.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:04 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK owner drivers are common, not sure if they operate a similar system in spain? Obviously she would need some cash or a loan for a car. I am sure she could do it for a lot less than 50€K?

OP is looking for advice, everyone should have a dream.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Bit confused about the unhealthy diet, what did you used to eat in Spain you can't get in Glasgow? I'd have thought you could eat healthily wherever you were in the world.

You can only buy deep fried mars bars in GlasgowVegatables are illegal ,its also illegail not to smoke 60 a day and drink yourself daft
Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
In the UK owner drivers are common, not sure if they operate a similar system in spain? Obviously she would need some cash or a loan for a car. I am sure she could do it for a lot less than 50€K?

OP is looking for advice, everyone should have a dream.
Sure, people need encouragement, just didnt want her tuning up in Spain and and then realising she'd have to fork out so much money. I guess there is a test you'd have to do aswell, in Spanish.

Lynda, what did you do previously when you worked in Spain? I'm guessing you dont speak fluent Spanish so I can only think of bar work or waitressing in a British bar
Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:17 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, people need encouragement, just didnt want her tuning up in Spain and and then realising she'd have to fork out so much money. I guess there is a test you'd have to do aswell, in Spanish.

Lynda, what did you do previously when you worked in Spain? I'm guessing you dont speak fluent Spanish so I can only think of bar work or waitressing in a British bar
where's Jur when you need him - doesn't he drive a taxi?

is he a he
Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
They call it comfort eating when youre not happy with your life as it is.

Lynda,if you can just go for it.

Could you not survive for a while on your hubbys money.My husband is web based too and I seem to have lost my employment here for a while too but at the mo all is ok although I am working on getting an income back even if its small.

I too have lived in Spain twice before now.Once youve got the bug it will never go away.

Make this your year.

Just because lots of people have returned to the UK dosent mean it is impossible for you to make a new start again.

Good luck.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Just looking for some advice really. Any advice or comments would so be appreciated.
Lynda,
I think the problem is your priorities, you seem to be doing everything based on other peoples needs, which while that maybe commendable, especially to them, it's not left you in the best of states and I doubt your future will ever be your own even in 2 years.
Sorry if I seem abrupt, trying to be honest.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

lynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks ever so much for all your comments and ispiration. I have always been one for putting my parents and daughters happiness before mine however now after having returned to the UK my daughter can see that Spain really was the better place to be. We have been back just over 2 years and its been the most awful 2 years of my life. I have turned to food as a comfort and being generally depressed has given me an absolute lack of motivation to even exercise. In Spain I spent hours walking and with the good weather I very rarely felt the need to eat stodgy food.LOL. I really dont mind what job I do all be it that its legal and above board. We could probably initially get by on my husbands earnings and that would give me some time to find some form of income. Even if it was part time work. I dont speak Spanish at all however we are in the process of learning it. Having been there and done it before I would definetly want to learn the language this time round. I am hoping to save some money before returning as coming back here cost us most of our savings so would like to get that back up to what it was before returning to Spain and it would give me some time to get to grips on the language. Please keep the comments coming as it helps me imensely just to hear other people opinions, encouragement and advice.
Many thanks
Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:28 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi lynda32, it's great to hear you want to return. You'll have to take a good look at where you want to go though, Benidorm isn't what it used to be. Many bars, restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, etc have shutdown due to the lack of customers so you'll be fighting for work with the others that are already there and have established their names around various bars. Have you thought about another area? All could change again in the next 2 years but I for one don't see Benidorm getting any better any time soon.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Hi thankyou and yes i would most definelty consider living outside of Benidorm area. When I lived there before I helped my husband with his internet business as there was enough work going round for the both of us. I would consider any work even it was just enough to pay the food bills
Old Feb 1st 2010, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks ever so much for all your comments and ispiration. I have always been one for putting my parents and daughters happiness before mine however now after having returned to the UK my daughter can see that Spain really was the better place to be. We have been back just over 2 years and its been the most awful 2 years of my life. I have turned to food as a comfort and being generally depressed has given me an absolute lack of motivation to even exercise. In Spain I spent hours walking and with the good weather I very rarely felt the need to eat stodgy food.LOL. I really dont mind what job I do all be it that its legal and above board. We could probably initially get by on my husbands earnings and that would give me some time to find some form of income. Even if it was part time work. I dont speak Spanish at all however we are in the process of learning it. Having been there and done it before I would definetly want to learn the language this time round. I am hoping to save some money before returning as coming back here cost us most of our savings so would like to get that back up to what it was before returning to Spain and it would give me some time to get to grips on the language. Please keep the comments coming as it helps me imensely just to hear other people opinions, encouragement and advice.
Many thanks
Believe me, I know exactly where youre coming from.

Its a tough one to answer but what if you dont go-Youll end up feeling this way always.

I never stopped wanting to return to spain.To be honest everyone got so fed up with me.

But we found a way,on the internet like you and here we are-absolutely loving it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.