Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

I want to come back

I want to come back

Old Feb 15th 2010, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to come back

Originally Posted by elle79
and it is healthier living in spain,its a more outdoor life,and the food is alot more haelthier,
Life can be as healthy, or as unhealthy as you choose to make it, wherever you are living. IMHO, Spain is no healthier than UK, there are lots of fat, obese people in both.
http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news...le_23835.shtml
As for the great outdoor life, I'm still in UK, and I am out walking for many hours nearly every day, I doubt many here spend much more time outdoors than I do. Whenever we are in Spain, people seem to be tucked up somewhere in the shade trying to avoid the sun, or driving in an air conditioned car to an air conditioned supermercado/bar/restaurant. I see far more people out walking nowadays here in UK than I ever used to, yesterday I passed a local beach and there were loads of people out with kids. I think it's a bit of a myth that expats spend their time in the great outdoors in Spain, that certainly doesn't reflect what I have seen. Going by the threads in expat forums, they all only seem interested in Brit TV!

Last edited by agoreira; Feb 15th 2010 at 11:01 am.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 11:32 am
Just Joined

elle79 has a brilliant futureelle79 has a brilliant futureelle79 has a brilliant futureelle79 has a brilliant futureelle79 has a brilliant futureelle79 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by agoreira
Life can be as healthy, or as unhealthy as you choose to make it, wherever you are living. IMHO, Spain is no healthier than UK, there are lots of fat, obese people in both.
http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news...le_23835.shtml
As for the great outdoor life, I'm still in UK, and I am out walking for many hours nearly every day, I doubt many here spend much more time outdoors than I do. Whenever we are in Spain, people seem to be tucked up somewhere in the shade trying to avoid the sun, or driving in an air conditioned car to an air conditioned supermercado/bar/restaurant. I see far more people out walking nowadays here in UK than I ever used to, yesterday I passed a local beach and there were loads of people out with kids. I think it's a bit of a myth that expats spend their time in the great outdoors in Spain, that certainly doesn't reflect what I have seen. Going by the threads in expat forums, they all only seem interested in Brit TV!
maybe your right,all im saying is give the girl a break,she just wanted some advise on moving back to spain ,not her eating habits
Old Feb 15th 2010, 11:38 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elle79
maybe your right,all im saying is give the girl a break,she just wanted some advise on moving back to spain ,not her eating habits
hear hear.

Comfort eating can be assosciated with depresion and the last thing OP needs is a lecture
Old Feb 15th 2010, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

elle79 has a brilliant futureelle79 has a brilliant futureelle79 has a brilliant futureelle79 has a brilliant futureelle79 has a brilliant futureelle79 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by missile
hear hear.

Comfort eating can be assosciated with depresion and the last thing OP needs is a lecture
quite right missile
Old Feb 15th 2010, 1:39 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever we are in Spain, people seem to be tucked up somewhere in the shade trying to avoid the sun, or driving in an air conditioned car to an air conditioned supermercado/bar/restaurant. I see far more people out walking nowadays here in UK than I ever used to, yesterday I passed a local beach and there were loads of people out with kids. I think it's a bit of a myth that expats spend their time in the great outdoors in Spain, that certainly doesn't reflect what I have seen. Going by the threads in expat forums, they all only seem interested in Brit TV!
Thats not representative at all. Ive just spent two months in the UK, and now I'm back in Spain. For a start, for a good month or so after Christmas it was difficult to go out anywhere, let alone a beach Those that you see look distinctly unhappy having to battle through wind, rain, sleet, snow etc

I spend most of my time in the summer outdoors, as do most of the people I know. How you arrive at the conclusion we all sit watching Eastenders I have no idea, but its not a very fair representation at all!

I can only say what you have seen obviously doesn't represent the reality overall ..... I'm interested how you knew all these people in their airconditioned cars were expats and all on their way to air conditioned brit bars.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

lynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the kind replies and general support from some lovely member although I would be lying if I said that some of the posts that have been put on this thread were not hurtfull . I think some people should actually think before they post as right now I am very hurt by some people who have not bothered to take the time and read the post properly. Like some members have pointed out I was talking about coming back to Spain not asking advice on how to lose weight or be healthier. I never blamed Glasgow for making me obese or unhealthy...Its a different way of life I am living here that I didnt in Spain. To be honest I am really put off this forum now by some of the downright insensitive and to be honest rather nasty replies that have been put on this thread.
Again I want to thank the people who were kind enough to offer proper advice without judging.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lynda32
Thanks for the kind replies and general support from some lovely member although I would be lying if I said that some of the posts that have been put on this thread were not hurtfull . I think some people should actually think before they post as right now I am very hurt by some people who have not bothered to take the time and read the post properly. Like some members have pointed out I was talking about coming back to Spain not asking advice on how to lose weight or be healthier. I never blamed Glasgow for making me obese or unhealthy...Its a different way of life I am living here that I didnt in Spain. To be honest I am really put off this forum now by some of the downright insensitive and to be honest rather nasty replies that have been put on this thread.
Again I want to thank the people who were kind enough to offer proper advice without judging.
dear lynda
i hope i havent upset you bringing up what agoreira wrote,i just thought it was plain rude,when he doesnt even know you.
i hope you do decide to go back and give it another go,as they say you only live once,at least you want to better your life.
i lived in spain a few years ago,but we rushed into it with blinkers on lol,it didnt work for us so we came home.i now have 2 children and like you i want whats best for my family,i miss spain too.
were planning to move back out jan next year,but were definatly not going to rush into it this time,if you can make it happen then give it another try just dont cut all your ties in uk just incase,so youve got a security net if things dont work,but at least you can say you tried,and you dont spend the rest of youre life wondering what might have been.
good uick in what ever you decide,if you want any advice just ask,try to ignore the ignorant
elle
Old Feb 15th 2010, 2:52 pm
Banned

icharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really nice

I second Elle's sentiments. It was quite clear from your original post that you didn't blame Glasgow for your weight gain, and the comment's made by a certain member were, quite frankly disgusting, insensitive, and downright ignorant.

However, this particular member clearly has limited reading, and reasoning abilities, and I wouldn't take them too seriously.

There are plenty of people on here who are capable of discussing matters in a more mature, and subjective fashion, and I hope you won't tar all of us with the same brush.

You can always put some one on your ignore list if you find them undearable.

I hope you get what you want in life, and wish you Godspeed

No doubt the stirrers will be trying to do me down now
Old Feb 15th 2010, 3:11 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I’m in the happy position of being able to compare Glasgow directly with Spain, and although I miss some football matches and other things, I’m afraid that Spain gets my vote and I’ve voted with my feet.

To say that the outdoor life is comparable is untrue, I swim outdoors every single day between May and October, and have swum in Loch Lomond, once or twice, many years ago and still remember the cold.

But, I’m sorry, I’m having a mind change right this minute. If I could transport the Spanish weather and quite a few of its people, along with some tapas bars and music to the side of Loch Lomond, I’d go back tomorrow.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by icharus
No doubt the stirrers will be trying to do me down now
Not at all, your advice about blocking posters is sound as a pound. I'd be highly honoured to be be blocked by yourself.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 3:16 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynda32
Dont be put off by a few comments, although I do agree that somtimes people can write things in an unsensative way.

This forum belongs to you as much as anyone else, and you will find it very valuable in asking advice and information.

Try and be as positive as you can be within your circumstances, not everyone is a health freak in ´Spain either, there are plenty of overweight Brits Spanish and a host of other nationalities.

Rmember, the bad times dont last forever..........

Chin up........

Jose Luis.....
Old Feb 15th 2010, 3:17 pm
Banned

icharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really nice

Not at all, your advice about blocking posters is sound as a pound. I'd be highly honoured to be be blocked by yourself.
The honour is all mine
Old Feb 15th 2010, 3:42 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I would really like to live in Barbados or Florida. I know I could be healthier swimming almost year round. I keep eating the odd pork pie when I feel down, still slim and healthy though. Lots of people want a lifestyle they can't have, lifes a bitch.

If people can't take comments they shouldn't comment on their personal circumstances then the thread may not go off topic!
Old Feb 15th 2010, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I would really like to live in Barbados or Florida. I know I could be healthier swimming almost year round. I keep eating the odd pork pie when I feel down, still slim and healthy though. Lots of people want a lifestyle they can't have, lifes a bitch.

If people can't take comments they shouldn't comment on their personal circumstances then the thread may not go off topic!
so your saying people shouldnt be honest on here,it was actually agoreira who went off the topic by making the rude comment in the first place.
people shouldnt get insulted by wanting a different lifestyle for themselves and their family,maybe your lifes a bitch,life is what you make it.
some of you lot are so negative,lighten up !!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 15th 2010, 4:06 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

OK please lets not argue about this on the thread, maybe just get back to some posts to give the OP advice, thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.