Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

I thought the spanish were poor

I thought the spanish were poor

Old Jul 27th 2012, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I thought the spanish were poor

Originally Posted by JLFS
Between the marida and me I cannot begin to count the amount of pieces of land we own, 50, 60 or more possibly.

An example of one of mine would be that a "plot" about the size of a football field and big enough to build a decent house with a decent garden has been in the family for generation.

From the great grandparents 1/3 belonged to my grandmother, who went on to have a large family say 7 kids, so then my mother inherited 1/7 of the third that my grandmother owned.

Then my parents had 2 kids so my generation would inherit, 1/2 of that 1/7. so if the land is not sold my 2 children will inherit half of my 1/14 and so on.

Just following my direct line there are now 14 owners, that is without trying to calculate the descendants of the owners of the original other 2/3 of the land.
Which if we say they had the same number of descendants (they really had a lot more, but for the sake of argument) that makes 42 owners of 1 small plot of land for 1 house to be built.

With all the backtracking to discover which part of my land is mine, as there are no boundaries marking it, the share i would receive from a sale, would be less than the legal cost, and if my piece is slap bang in the middle with no access to it, an agreement would need to be sought from all the ownersn for a sale to go ahead.

So as I say it is all well and good to make half baked, smarmy comments as to why we dont cash our assets in, if we are so poor,and as I have said before, it seem that for all the banging on about being integrated with their Spanish neighbours, some obviously know bugger all.
And that is exactly the situation of the piece of land adjacent to our house!

It would make an ideal garden and pool area for us, but nobody knows exactly who all the owners are.
Several of the Spanish in our nearby village have at one time or another had the idea of building a house on there, but it all gets so complex that after a while they accept defeat and give up on the idea.

Well at least we won't be getting noisy neighbours any time soon!
Old Jul 27th 2012, 6:38 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Wouldn't have asked then would I?

My Spanish friends say most folk around me receive pensions of less than €800's a month, always saying how poor they are.

You pi.ll.ock
So if they are willing to discuss how much or little pension they get, which is quite a private matter, then I fail to understand how you have not discussed the inheritance issues, which is not a private financial matter, it is a point of law.

Could it be that you phrased the question to them in the same way as on this thread? ie with the opening line "I thought the Spanish were poor etc,
and you were told to get lost.

Also I would have thought an enquiring mind like yours, a pilot, with PER and other seafaring qualifications, owning properties in about 6 other countries, would have found the answer out just for their own curiosity.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: I thought the spanish were poor

What a surprising post, I would not have thought that you have any friends, Spanish or otherwise, because you seem so desperate for attention, any attention even insults especially from you know who. RM

Poor sod having you stalking him with your little inuendos, there is nothing worse than a desperate old women like yourself, get a rabbit.
Do they make good pets?

The original question could have been a reasonable one to ask if the slight dig had been left out.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 8:22 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leither
Do they make good pets?

The original question could have been a reasonable one to ask if the slight dig had been left out.
It's called trolling.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 8:23 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
It's called trolling.
WHAT? But that's not allowed is it?
Old Jul 27th 2012, 8:46 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leither
Do they make good pets?

Yes exactly, but she cant help herself.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 11:12 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yes exactly, but she cant help herself.
I honestly don't know what you're on about regarding a "dig" at something.

We don't discuss things like their pensions,When I was saying how kind they were, my neighbours son once told me that his parents only have a small pension and are poor yet despite this they always bring me potatoes or tomatoes or whatever every week. I know not all Spanish are poor, but I know there are many in my village that have never been more than a few miles outside it.

I think you're imagining Spanish on the CDS.

I see the ruins everywhere I go, and didn't know why they allowed them to get like that if money was so tight, I guess I know now.

Thought this was a discussion forum where we can ask each other questions about things we don't understand.

Didn't mean to offend any Spanish by saying they were poor, it's just what they lead me to believe

As usual, the bullies are out in full force trying to be clever and ending up looking the PRATTS they actually are.

Last edited by anonimouse; Jul 27th 2012 at 11:16 am.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

But they werenot always a ruin, just left to become one, I wouldn't let that happen, would you?
You have to remember that lots of places were abandoned because their owners were killed, emigrated or went into hiding during and after the civil war. Then over the last 50 years there has been a gradual migration into the cities to find work. There are entire villages with hardly any inhabitants left.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 11:31 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

What a surprising post, I would not have thought that you have any friends, Spanish or otherwise, because you seem so desperate for attention, any attention even insults especially from you know who. RM

Poor sod having you stalking him with your little inuendos, there is nothing worse than a desperate old women like yourself, get a rabbit.
So if they are willing to discuss how much or little pension they get, which is quite a private matter, then I fail to understand how you have not discussed the inheritance issues, which is not a private financial matter, it is a point of law.

Could it be that you phrased the question to them in the same way as on this thread? ie with the opening line "I thought the Spanish were poor etc,
and you were told to get lost.

Also I would have thought an enquiring mind like yours, a pilot, with PER and other seafaring qualifications, owning properties in about 6 other countries, would have found the answer out just for their own curiosity.

and all said by probably the nastiest all of commenters on this forum

Last edited by anonimouse; Jul 27th 2012 at 11:53 am.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
You have to remember that lots of places were abandoned because their owners were killed, emigrated or went into hiding during and after the civil war. Then over the last 50 years there has been a gradual migration into the cities to find work. There are entire villages with hardly any inhabitants left.
I was told that in Almeria, owners were forced to leave due to the hot weather stopping anything from growing. I also heard that at one time they were offering them money to get them to return.

Not sure how true any of that is.

Last edited by anonimouse; Jul 27th 2012 at 11:43 am.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 12:20 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I was told that in Almeria, owners were forced to leave due to the hot weather stopping anything from growing. I also heard that at one time they were offering them money to get them to return.

Probably some truth in it.

Almeria is the hottest and driest region in Spain.
I saw quite a few deserted villages where there was little sign of water, virtually no fertile or cultivated land and many of the properties were in a state of collapse due in part to the unstable ground on which they had been built.

Really desperate places and the only wonder is how any people ever managed to live or even survive there in the first instance.

I certainly couldn't imagine anyone wishing to move back into them under any circumstances.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

There's a very interesting programme on TVE1 called "Conectando España". It visits towns and villages all over the country which had suffered from depopulation in the past, for various reasons. But people are now moving back in, running businesses which they can do over the internet, and looking for a better quality of life. They are rebuilding communities and restoring the buildings. Very inspiring!

It's on late Tuesday night, but you can watch the programmes online here.

Conectando España
Old Jul 27th 2012, 12:40 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I've read articles over serveral decades now about deserted villages in parts of Spain, often places like Aragon and Extremadura. The only thing that saved them in the past was when a group of foreign Germans or Brits came in and tried to do something. I wonder if the current economic climate will persuade some Spanish to go back and try and eke a living in their grandparents' village?
[ edit : It seems PocaLoca has answered that ! ]
Having said that, it's very common for a lot of city dwellers to go back to their "village" at puente and holiday time.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I've read articles over serveral decades now about deserted villages in parts of Spain, often places like Aragon and Extremadura. The only thing that saved them in the past was when a group of foreign Germans or Brits came in and tried to do something. I wonder if the current economic climate will persuade some Spanish to go back and try and eke a living in their grandparents' village?
[ edit : It seems PocaLoca has answered that ! ]
Having said that, it's very common for a lot of city dwellers to go back to their "village" at puente and holiday time.
And sadly these days they come back for longer, because they have lost their jobs! A lot of 20-somethings round here have had to move back in with their parents. ( I think I'd rather live in a tent.)
Old Jul 27th 2012, 12:48 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

We don't discuss things like their pensions,When I was saying how kind they were, my neighbours son once told me that his parents only have a small pension and are poor yet despite this they always bring me potatoes or tomatoes or whatever every week. I know not all Spanish are poor, but I know there are many in my village that have never been more than a few miles outside it.

IME it is the poor who will willingly share what little they have, those with the money will want to keep it for themselves.
I just trust you are responding in kind, even if it is a bottle of wine or something in return.
Having such friends is worth its weight in gold.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.