Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

I thought the spanish were poor

I thought the spanish were poor

Old Jul 26th 2012, 1:05 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default I thought the spanish were poor

How can they afford to let property go to ruin?

Every where I go I see ruins, some would have been outstanding properties, why don't/didn't they cash in I wonder?
Old Jul 26th 2012, 1:17 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I thought the spanish were poor

Originally Posted by anonimouse

Every where I go I see ruins, some would have been outstanding properties, why don't/didn't they cash in I wonder?
If you knew anything about Spanish inheritance laws you would know the answer.

And who said we are all poor.

OK unlike you I dont have a private jet.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 1:24 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the circumstances of the ruins you see but the situation around here is that are just not worth renovating.

In our village a typical ruin is basically a gap between two terraced houses which needs completely gutting.

By the time you've spent many thousands on permissions and architects, cleared the site (you might be able to save the front and back walls) laid new drains/floors rebuilt the walls raised the roofline, put a new roof on and then finished a salon, kitchen, three beds, two baths and a patio/terrace you would have spent more than the property could be sold for in the foreseeable future.

And that's if you're given the site - absolutely no point in buying it.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 1:28 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS

I think JLFS has it spot on. With high inheritance taxes, people don't want the expense of taking on yet another property so reject the inheritance.

I don't know who actually owns the properties (is it the government?) because it seems impossible to offer to buy one - anyone know the legal position?
Old Jul 26th 2012, 1:39 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I think JLFS has it spot on. With high inheritance taxes, people don't want the expense of taking on yet another property so reject the inheritance.
It's not just the taxes, it's the Spanish inheritance law that says you have to leave one third of it to all the children. After a couple of generations and big families they may be close on a hundred part owners who cannot agree what to do with it so it just goes to ruin.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 1:59 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
It's not just the taxes, it's the Spanish inheritance law that says you have to leave one third of it to all the children. After a couple of generations and big families they may be close on a hundred part owners who cannot agree what to do with it so it just goes to ruin.
... ah, yes, I'd forgotten that aspect.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Besides, I don't think there would be a market. Even in the good times only foreigners are mad enough (!) to buy reformed old houses with all their quirks. The Spanish usually prefer shiny new ones.

I think after certain time derelict buildings can be reclaimed by the ayuntamiento if the owners can't be traced. In Andalusia there is (was? Plan E probably) a scheme which employed local builders to do them up and then they were rented or sold to residents at subsidised rates.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 2:17 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Between the marida and me I cannot begin to count the amount of pieces of land we own, 50, 60 or more possibly.

An example of one of mine would be that a "plot" about the size of a football field and big enough to build a decent house with a decent garden has been in the family for generation.

From the great grandparents 1/3 belonged to my grandmother, who went on to have a large family say 7 kids, so then my mother inherited 1/7 of the third that my grandmother owned.

Then my parents had 2 kids so my generation would inherit, 1/2 of that 1/7. so if the land is not sold my 2 children will inherit half of my 1/14 and so on.

Just folowing my direct line there are now 14 owners, that is without trying to calculate the descendants of the owners of the original other 2/3 of the land.
Which if we say they had the same number of descendants (they really had a lot more, but for the sake of argument) tha makes 42 owners of 1 small plot of land for 1 house to be built.

With all the backtracking to discover which part of my land is mine, as there are no boundaries marking it, the share i would receive from a sale, would be less than the legal cost, and if my piece is slap bang in the middle with no access to it, an agreement would need to be sought from all the ownersn for a sale to go ahead.

So as I say it is all well and good to make half baked, smarmy comments as to why we dont cash our assets in, if we are so poor,and as I have said before, it seem that for all the banging on about being integrated with their Spanish neighbours, some obviously know bugger all.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Besides, I don't think there would be a market. Even in the good times only foreigners are mad enough (!) to buy reformed old houses with all their quirks. The Spanish usually prefer shiny new ones.

I think after certain time derelict buildings can be reclaimed by the ayuntamiento if the owners can't be traced. In Andalusia there is (was? Plan E probably) a scheme which employed local builders to do them up and then they were rented or sold to residents at subsidised rates.
What is the time limit whereby a person must accept their inheritance before it passing to the local authority?
Old Jul 26th 2012, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

JLFS I must admit I had often wondered when I go wandering in the campo why so many Fincas were left rotting, many are in beautiful spots and if either renovated or rebuilt would make fantastic homes. Your comment clears up why that would happen. Seems such a shame that the law of your country which on the face of it seems so fair ensuring people do not loose out on an inheritence actually makes it so difficult to inherit. Does seem a shame especially as yes in a town the local authority may claim property in such circumstances and make good use of them but out in the campo no one bothers.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 2:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bobd22
JLFS I must admit I had often wondered when I go wandering in the campo why so many Fincas were left rotting, many are in beautiful spots and if either renovated or rebuilt would make fantastic homes. Your comment clears up why that would happen. Seems such a shame that the law of your country which on the face of it seems so fair ensuring people do not loose out on an inheritence actually makes it so difficult to inherit. Does seem a shame especially as yes in a town the local authority may claim property in such circumstances and make good use of them but out in the campo no one bothers.
Thats right Bob, because no one can live off a piece of land, like before, we are used to electricity and other indespensables.

Years ago, the land was usally cultivated by the owners, with noboy bothering which part was actually theirs, they all helped out and the spuds or whatever were shared out in a mutualy convenient way, ie the one with most kids, got the most spuds.

That way of life has gone forever, and it will never return, as money will always be needed.

Can anybody in their right mind see it happening in any developed country.

Yes some may say it is a shame, but it was a tough life, especially on the women.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 3:53 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

But they werenot always a ruin, just left to become one, I wouldn't let that happen, would you?
Old Jul 26th 2012, 4:13 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

has no one noticed these "mansions" have no foundations, no cavity wall ?

friend of ours bought a house, decided the roof needed changing so started the work, as soon as the roof came off one of the walls starting bowing inwards - it was the roof that was keeping the wall upright

where is Channel 4 when you need a reality programme team ??
Old Jul 26th 2012, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS

Wouldn't have asked then would I?

My Spanish friends say most folk around me receive pensions of less than €800's a month, always saying how poor they are.

You pi.ll.ock
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:38 pm
Banned

Wouldn't have asked then would I?

My Spanish friends say most folk around me receive pensions of less than €800's a month, always saying how poor they are.

You pi.ll.ock

What a surprising post, I would not have thought that you have any friends, Spanish or otherwise, because you seem so desperate for attention, any attention even insults especially from you know who. RM

Poor sod having you stalking him with your little inuendos, there is nothing worse than a desperate old women like yourself, get a rabbit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.