Reload this Page >

I need a builder please help

I need a builder please help

Old May 12th 2010, 9:37 am
Just Joined

Dragonfly Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I need a builder please help

Originally Posted by Jur
Donna, have you talked to the local carpenter in Vilablanca, Antonio? He speaks Spanish & German and built a door for us for a reasonable price. I´m just thinking of him because he might know people.

Or perhaps the son of "Mala Leche" (only know the nickname), he owns the hardware store behind the church.

Keep us posted, Jur
Thanks will do
Old May 12th 2010, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dragonfly Donna
Everything you say sounds fine in theory, however we have spent 3 years trying to pull this together in just the way you have suggested. 3 people all english have said they would help over the past 18 months , so we flew over had meetings and within a month or two they had decided they didnt have time to co-ordinate this for us. So much money and time has been wasted. We have always been willing to pay well for the right help but it seems no-one wants to work !
We are extremely positive people but its difficult to be that way 100% of the time.
Lets face it. Self building is a hard road, fraught with many difficulties and dangers. If you have to have the heart for it. Nobody's going to do the full project management for less than a lot of money. The nice people will eventually run out of time. The good builders (if you get lucky) will cost money too. Avoid the rest! Once you've come unstuck once you have only 2 options. Hire the right project managers/builders for the right money, and that involves spending considerable time here to find them. Or project manage yourself. Ask yourself if you have the courage/resources to take the problems on the chin, before you commit any more money. You may end up laying bricks yourself as we have.
I really wish you Luck Donna, and courage. I know it can be worth it. But even though I'm as tenacious as hell and work round the clock. At the end of the day I'm still not sure the (English) Tax man won't take our lovely house, as we ran out of money and still have a half finished house!
If it's just a holiday home. Ask yourself whether selling the project on and buying something cheaper and already finished might save your skin. You can always upgrade again as things improve and you get more experience.
That's the negative side. I still hope you'll get your dream house!
XXX
Old May 14th 2010, 10:42 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Donna, I´m getting confused here, your building in Spain (VillaBlanca) ánd in Portugal as well? ánd you got in trouble/ripped off in both countries?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...07#post8565807
Old May 15th 2010, 9:17 am
Just Joined

Dragonfly Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jur
Donna, I´m getting confused here, your building in Spain (VillaBlanca) ánd in Portugal as well? ánd you got in trouble/ripped off in both countries?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...07#post8565807
No sorry if its not clear. We are building in Villa Blanca Spain . The builder is Portuguese from Villa Real and the German (ex-project manager) used to live in Ayamonte and is now possibly in Tavira.Only ripped off once !!
Old May 15th 2010, 8:22 pm
Jur

No sorry if its not clear. We are building in Villa Blanca Spain . The builder is Portuguese from Villa Real and the German (ex-project manager) used to live in Ayamonte and is now possibly in Tavira.Only ripped off once !!
Ok, got it, I hope your lawyer will get you some result!
Old May 16th 2010, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

finca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud of

Thanks will do
Donna I have just PM'd you with a suggestion. Not me I hasten to add!
Old May 19th 2010, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

valrose is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a spanish friend who lived in the uk for 21 years and worked for a british building company . He understands and uses english building methods ... damp course etc and he has built his own home here. You will get the best of both worlds here with a spanish man who is a great fan of uk methods.. for instance he thinks taking a siesta is ridiculous just get on with job !!! I don't know what his work schedule is like but if you want more info let me know
Old May 19th 2010, 12:44 pm
Jur

Originally Posted by valrose
We have a spanish friend who lived in the uk for 21 years and worked for a british building company . He understands and uses english building methods ... damp course etc and he has built his own home here. You will get the best of both worlds here with a spanish man who is a great fan of uk methods.. for instance he thinks taking a siesta is ridiculous just get on with job !!! I don't know what his work schedule is like but if you want more info let me know
Hi, just looked at your blog, did you own Bahia Decor before?
Old Jun 28th 2010, 9:14 am
Just Joined

ClaireBob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by valrose
Would you pass on his details as I also looking to build a villa, did have a portugese builder lined up, only paid him for design on villa which I am pleased with, someone else commissioned him to build 2 villa's and been problems. I notice alot of villa's have been started but then builders going bust so pleased I held back. Starting my research again!
Old Jun 28th 2010, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ClaireBob
Would you pass on his details as I also looking to build a villa, did have a portugese builder lined up, only paid him for design on villa which I am pleased with, someone else commissioned him to build 2 villa's and been problems. I notice alot of villa's have been started but then builders going bust so pleased I held back. Starting my research again!
I mentioned a builder I used who was very good and honest!! in Aracena before, but said it was too far. However I've talked to Jose Maria and he says though it is a bit far, if the amount of work made it worth his while he would consider a temporary relocation. Well, anyway. for what it's worth his name is Jose Maria. His company is GBAracena email [email protected] or [email protected] website gbaracena.com (My husband made this site for them as a thankyou we were so pleased not to get ripped off a second time;-)) we have no financial connection with them at the moment except that we're still using their electricity as we're continuing building ourselves having run out of money!
They haven't asked us for a penny for it.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

ClaireBob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by angiescarr
I mentioned a builder I used who was very good and honest!! in Aracena before, but said it was too far. However I've talked to Jose Maria and he says though it is a bit far, if the amount of work made it worth his while he would consider a temporary relocation. Well, anyway. for what it's worth his name is Jose Maria. His company is GBAracena email [email protected] or [email protected] website gbaracena.com (My husband made this site for them as a thankyou we were so pleased not to get ripped off a second time;-)) we have no financial connection with them at the moment except that we're still using their electricity as we're continuing building ourselves having run out of money!
They haven't asked us for a penny for it.
Much appreciated, thank you. Good luck with finishing your build.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

bobby87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am new to this Forum thing but hope someone can help me as I am at the end of my tether . We are currrently living in England and had hoped by now to be spending at least half our time in our beautiful villa near Ayamonte.

We started our project over 3 years ago and have only completed a third of the build, we have had so many problems even though we have full planning permission, proper architects etc. The final straw came when the builder disappeared after promising to restart in January. Does any one know any English builders who are looking for work. We have tried to keep it all Spanish but it hasnt worked.
hi there,

i have a builder that might be able to help you he dous alot of work for me and i beleive he has done work in canada before,
he probably would not mind taking on the job.
let me know and good luck!
Old Jun 7th 2011, 4:12 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobby87
hi there,

i have a builder that might be able to help you he dous alot of work for me and i beleive he has done work in canada before,
he probably would not mind taking on the job.
let me know and good luck!
You wouldn't happen to be the legendary Bob the Builder by any chance ?

Only asking.