Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

I need a builder please help

I need a builder please help

Old May 10th 2010, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Dragonfly Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy I need a builder please help

Hi, I am new to this Forum thing but hope someone can help me as I am at the end of my tether . We are currrently living in England and had hoped by now to be spending at least half our time in our beautiful villa near Ayamonte.

We started our project over 3 years ago and have only completed a third of the build, we have had so many problems even though we have full planning permission, proper architects etc. The final straw came when the builder disappeared after promising to restart in January. Does any one know any English builders who are looking for work. We have tried to keep it all Spanish but it hasnt worked.
Old May 10th 2010, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

David and Margaret is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I need a builder please help

we have a town house on esuri and see much activity in the building of villas
we assume spanish builders so a villa owner should help you

david
Old May 10th 2010, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by David and Margaret
we have a town house on esuri and see much activity in the building of villas
we assume spanish builders so a villa owner should help you

david
Thank you for replying, i have had a few people sending me help. Do you know of a builder who is looking for work ? Or any one who may know?

Donna
Old May 10th 2010, 7:35 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dragonfly Donna
Thank you for replying, i have had a few people sending me help. Do you know of a builder who is looking for work ? Or any one who may know?

Donna
Did you read the post you are answering ?
Old May 11th 2010, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: I need a builder please help

Hi, I am new to this Forum thing but hope someone can help me as I am at the end of my tether . We are currrently living in England and had hoped by now to be spending at least half our time in our beautiful villa near Ayamonte.

We started our project over 3 years ago and have only completed a third of the build, we have had so many problems even though we have full planning permission, proper architects etc. The final straw came when the builder disappeared after promising to restart in January. Does any one know any English builders who are looking for work. We have tried to keep it all Spanish but it hasn't worked.
Hi. First of all. Good luck. Looks like you're self builders! (Autopromotores) Us too. This is very rare in Spain for new builds.
We have had 2 Spanish builders. The first one had good builders on the team but a bit too greedy. The second were really good and trustworthy(for builders) But I'm up in the Aracena area and I don't think they'd go that far... But you can ask!gbaracena.com We wrote the website for them as a thank you. But we had to let them go. We're now literally putting brick on brick ourselves due to the 'crisis' dissolving the value of our ££s ...we have none. :-( I'm learning a lot along the way, I do have to say *Be Very Careful!* Don't, whatever you do take only one quote. Make sure you get at least 3. Talk face to face with all 3 contractors and don't be tempted to take them on because they have a nice smile. That's what we did first time round and that builder nearly cost us the price of a full build for the foundations and party walls! Go away and think about it. We chose the mid priced one from our 3 on instinct. But NOT immediately. We were right.
We Also asked for a quote for a 'casa en bruto'. That is, without all the finishes. Just a basic building. It was because that's all we could afford. But also that way you keep your builders on their toes and you're never stuck with a set of builders for the whole deal when you can only afford part of it. If you don't like their work you don't have a contract which ties you to everything.
There may be issues around getting a new 'estudio basico de seguridad y salud' with the new builders and your aparejador (surveyor)
And if your time period for the licencia for your proyecto has run out/ or is running out, go to the ayuntamiento and ask for a Proroga de licencia(extension) . Make sure it's long enough. (at least 3 years) You just never know how long it's going to take. It doesn't cost anything as you've already paid for your Licencia. You might be charged a little by your Aparejador for putting in the new seguiridad y salud thingy with the new builders names on. Technically you're supposed to close down the site formally between builders. But I don't think this often happens.
Good luck!
Old May 11th 2010, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: I need a builder please help

Removed

Last edited by angiescarr; May 11th 2010 at 5:05 am. Reason: accidental repeat of posting above
Old May 11th 2010, 7:29 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Donna
Hi Donna

I just went you 2 PM's with some details of a British builder - I have no idea if he is free - but you can check - and if not he may know someone. Also a local firm of British architects that may be able to help

Amazing with all the unemployment in Andalucia (25%) that you cant find decent people looking for honest work!

Good luck - it will be worth it in the end!
Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; May 11th 2010 at 7:36 am.
Old May 11th 2010, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Hi. First of all. Good luck. Looks like you're self builders! (Autopromotores) Us too. This is very rare in Spain for new builds.
We have had 2 Spanish builders. The first one had good builders on the team but a bit too greedy. The second were really good and trustworthy(for builders) But I'm up in the Aracena area and I don't think they'd go that far... But you can ask!gbaracena.com We wrote the website for them as a thank you. But we had to let them go. We're now literally putting brick on brick ourselves due to the 'crisis' dissolving the value of our ££s ...we have none. :-( I'm learning a lot along the way, I do have to say *Be Very Careful!* Don't, whatever you do take only one quote. Make sure you get at least 3. Talk face to face with all 3 contractors and don't be tempted to take them on because they have a nice smile. That's what we did first time round and that builder nearly cost us the price of a full build for the foundations and party walls! Go away and think about it. We chose the mid priced one from our 3 on instinct. But NOT immediately. We were right.
We Also asked for a quote for a 'casa en bruto'. That is, without all the finishes. Just a basic building. It was because that's all we could afford. But also that way you keep your builders on their toes and you're never stuck with a set of builders for the whole deal when you can only afford part of it. If you don't like their work you don't have a contract which ties you to everything.
There may be issues around getting a new 'estudio basico de seguridad y salud' with the new builders and your aparejador (surveyor)
And if your time period for the licencia for your proyecto has run out/ or is running out, go to the ayuntamiento and ask for a Proroga de licencia(extension) . Make sure it's long enough. (at least 3 years) You just never know how long it's going to take. It doesn't cost anything as you've already paid for your Licencia. You might be charged a little by your Aparejador for putting in the new seguiridad y salud thingy with the new builders names on. Technically you're supposed to close down the site formally between builders. But I don't think this often happens.
Good luck!
Thank you for all the info, Some of this we didnt know. We have someone helping us so I will ask him about the break between builders.
I really appreciate your time to reply

Donna
Old May 11th 2010, 12:05 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dylan too
Perhaps the person doesnt know any villa owners ? this is not a very friendly way to welcome a new user to Ayamonte Club. How far is Benalmadena from Ayamonte ?
Closer than the Magic Roundabout.

She only has to walk to one of the villas being built and ask.
Old May 11th 2010, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
Closer than the Magic Roundabout.

She only has to walk to one of the villas being built and ask.
That will be a bit tricky as she is in England.
Good luck Donna, hope you get the info you need.
Old May 11th 2010, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AndyS
Thank you, its good that there are so many people sending me their positiveness !!
Old May 11th 2010, 7:01 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by AndyS
In that case she has no chance of arranging it, she needs to get a cheap flight over and do as I said, or even better get one of you friendly neighbours to act as a go between for her.
Old May 11th 2010, 7:44 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Donna, have you talked to the local carpenter in Vilablanca, Antonio? He speaks Spanish & German and built a door for us for a reasonable price. I´m just thinking of him because he might know people.

Or perhaps the son of "Mala Leche" (only know the nickname), he owns the hardware store behind the church.

Keep us posted, Jur
Old May 11th 2010, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jur
Donna, have you talked to the local carpenter in Vilablanca, Antonio? He speaks Spanish & German and built a door for us for a reasonable price. I´m just thinking of him because he might know people.

Or perhaps the son of "Mala Leche" (only know the nickname), he owns the hardware store behind the church.

Keep us posted, Jur
Ha Ha Mala Leche... Translates pretty much as grumpy bugger:-D
Old May 12th 2010, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
In that case she has no chance of arranging it, she needs to get a cheap flight over and do as I said, or even better get one of you friendly neighbours to act as a go between for her.
Everything you say sounds fine in theory, however we have spent 3 years trying to pull this together in just the way you have suggested. 3 people all english have said they would help over the past 18 months , so we flew over had meetings and within a month or two they had decided they didnt have time to co-ordinate this for us. So much money and time has been wasted. We have always been willing to pay well for the right help but it seems no-one wants to work !
We are extremely positive people but its difficult to be that way 100% of the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.