Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

opening bank account at 19

opening bank account at 19

Old Jun 3rd 2011, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute
Default opening bank account at 19

My 19 year old went to open a savings account at the local caja. She has her residency certificate with NIE number but was refused an account on the grounds it was not proper photo ID. She returned with passport but was told she needed UK address. Then it turns out that she needs either proof of income or student card. So basically it appears that she is not able to open a bank account here although she has spent most of her life in Spain, apparently it's all to do with the new anti money laundering laws.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 4:04 pm
Banned

John and Elaine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: opening bank account at 19

Originally Posted by twistedmelon View Post
My 19 year old went to open a savings account at the local caja. She has her residency certificate with NIE number but was refused an account on the grounds it was not proper photo ID. She returned with passport but was told she needed UK address. Then it turns out that she needs either proof of income or student card. So basically it appears that she is not able to open a bank account here although she has spent most of her life in Spain, apparently it's all to do with the new anti money laundering laws.
Residencia has gone, so I guess you meant your daughter's registration as a citizen of the EU. It does say on that form that it is not proof of ID, so no surprise there.

That she produced that form plus her legal ID, her British Passport, I would believe was sufficient to prove who she, but then it's not unreasonable I think that the bank should want to know that she some sort of income before they accept her as a customer.

Maybe if you have a bank account and you took her to your branch she would be able to set up an account.

MY wife is not from the EU, she does not have a paid job, but she had no problem opening an account at my branch.

Last edited by John and Elaine; Jun 3rd 2011 at 4:07 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

searcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nice

My 16yr old got a "carnet jove" and bank account no probs at Bancaja. We already had accounts there.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 4:43 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

My children (12, 12 & 14) all got accounts here with no problem (clearly no income and no student card).

I think your bank has it wrong but, as said previously, it may be down to regular input to the account. Ask around as many will welcome her custom.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

We live in a small village with only one caja and been customers for years and after she was refused I went in with her. The director even got involved but even she had no idea for sure.
The cashier suggested opening account with passport and just making up a UK address, strange suggestion given that this would then be a non residents account which are illegal if you are resident.
This is a Caja, so just a savings account, they have special savings accounts for children who have no photo IDs or proof of income and are opened by the parents........only in Spain!
Old Jun 4th 2011, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Go again and ask director to call head office for advice.

If that doesnt work ask to open an account in your name with your daughter as a signatory. You will get a book immediately and a card each a few days later.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whitelinen View Post
Go again and ask director to call head office for advice.

If that doesnt work ask to open an account in your name with your daughter as a signatory. You will get a book immediately and a card each a few days later.
Plan to go in Monday to see if director has made enquiries.
The account we wanted is specifically for 18-25 year olds and has no charges.
If I open another account (have 2 already) it will be more charges etc for me although she could pay those.
Moreover, I don't think she wants me to know what she is doing with her money, she's 19 and the whole idea was for her to have her independence but thanks for the suggestion.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 12:19 pm
Banned

You have not mentioned the name of the Caja.

Maybe someone can give you a specific example if they have opened such an account with another branch.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by John and Elaine View Post
You have not mentioned the name of the Caja.

Maybe someone can give you a specific example if they have opened such an account with another branch.
I didn't because it appears that due to new anti money laundering laws introduced in 2008 it applied to ALL bancos and cajas.
Anyway the caja is Granada and the specific account we wanted was tu libreta.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saw director today, opened residents account with passport number and false UK address.....don't ask me, I guess it's on the Banks head.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by twistedmelon View Post
Saw director today, opened residents account with passport number and false UK address.....don't ask me, I guess it's on the Banks head.
I don't know about the law in Spain but that would amount to criminal offence in UK for you, your daughter and the bank employee.

I really don't understand why your daughter could not open an account. She is an adult. With Passport as proof of ID and her NIE what else could be needed.

My non European resident wife, my British non resident son and I (resident) have all open a bank account in the last couple of years.

Last edited by John and Elaine; Jun 6th 2011 at 2:13 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:12 pm
Banned

It would seem that you can open an account online, and in English too:-

https://cajaelectronica.caja-granada.es/2031/alta.htm
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

I don't know about the law in Spain but that would amount to criminal offence in UK for you, your daughter and the bank employee.
What UK law would that be?
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:27 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen View Post
What UK law would that be?
Maybe fraudently opening a bank account.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

It would seem that you can open an account online, and in English too:-

https://cajaelectronica.caja-granada.es/2031/alta.htm
Yes I saw that BUT although it doesn't say so on the site, you are supposed to take the original documents into a branch to have them certified.
No matter how long you live here the nonsense never gets easier