Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

I hate to admit it but I need CBBC!

I hate to admit it but I need CBBC!

Old Apr 23rd 2014, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

Saycheese is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I hate to admit it but I need CBBC!

Hi

I am after some help. I have an apartment at Isla canela with landline and internet. I have wifi and lay monthly contract with Telefonica. I thought I'd be ok with the sky tv going off as I have a VPN and thought I could make do with ipad but it's not the best.

Cbbc drives me nuts at home but with 3 under 5 an hour of cbbc and feet up got me watching news on tv would be good!

I have a big old style tv. What's my best option?

Anyone tried it ? Any other suggestions would be great!!!!
X

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 23rd 2014 at 3:57 am. Reason: oops. snipped out the link to a previous thread.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 6:10 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I hate to admit it but I need CBBC!

Originally Posted by Saycheese
Hi

I am after some help. I have an apartment at Isla canela with landline and internet. I have wifi and lay monthly contract with Telefonica. I thought I'd be ok with the sky tv going off as I have a VPN and thought I could make do with ipad but it's not the best.

Cbbc drives me nuts at home but with 3 under 5 an hour of cbbc and feet up got me watching news on tv would be good!

X
Filmon has been mentioned many times on the various threads. http://www.filmon.com/

Just look at the bar on the left and open up UK Live TV ... and you'll find other kids stuff as well as your CBBC ceebies etc. I just tried it.

You can watch on the PC or if you have the right ports/connections on the back of the TV, you can connect your PC to the TV.

You say 'old TV' so I guess it doesn't have HDMI ports? (That I use) It might have the ports of a monitor on the TV, if so you'll need to get the cable for that.

Good luck

Jon
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 7:59 am
Just Joined

Kay O ness is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Has anyone got experience of using UK based SLINGBOX through broadband with Dongle or mifi in Spain ?
Many thanks
Kay O ness
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

X
We have Apple TV so if you have an iPad you could do that. We bought ours here and it was about 110 Euro but they maybe cheaper in the UK. You then just connect the Apple box to the TV, run Filmon on the iPad and it mirrors whats on there. It works fine for us as we can still use the PC. Regards Bryony
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 8:45 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kay O ness
Hi
Has anyone got experience of using UK based SLINGBOX through broadband with Dongle or mifi in Spain ?
Many thanks
Kay O ness
Hi There we use the Slingbox and are very pleased with it. I recommend getting the cheapest one SD not HD as you use less bandwidth.

We use the TMN dongle 1Eur/hr, + I recently bought an aerial that ups the download well. The dongle is connected to a wifi router, and just to be sure I hard wire my PC with an ethernet cable to the router. Though it works fine on wifi as well, just being 'anal'. It sends out wifi at the same time so my OH can use her ipad etc.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=24

Its not perfect, its not HD... but I am happy with the setup, and have recommended it several times on the various threads.

Note we connect to Belgian TV with the Slingbox, but you will be fine with UKTV, as there is bound to be a remote that matches your box. We had to build my remote with tech support... but now everyone with my box in Belgium has the same control.

I think the Slingbox is a REALLY neat gadget.... and my on-screen remote is a photograph of my actual one and I just press the buttons with the mouse, and have 100% of the features I would have running the box at home with a physical remote.

One tip. I put the sling on a timer and sometime at around 5am- whatever suits you when you are asleep... it switches off for 15 mins. When it powers back up everything is reset. Just in case there is a glitch and you cant send someone in to reset it when you are away.

Very neat bit of kit.... and the software is on the box... meaning I can borrow a friends PC (if ever needed) and log in and see TV/recordings etc on their PC with no software needed locally on the PC. Great!

Jon
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi There we use the Slingbox and are very pleased with it. I recommend getting the cheapest one SD not HD as you use less bandwidth.

We use the TMN dongle 1Eur/hr, + I recently bought an aerial that ups the download well. The dongle is connected to a wifi router, and just to be sure I hard wire my PC with an ethernet cable to the router. Though it works fine on wifi as well, just being 'anal'. It sends out wifi at the same time so my OH can use her ipad etc.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=24

Its not perfect, its not HD... but I am happy with the setup, and have recommended it several times on the various threads.

Note we connect to Belgian TV with the Slingbox, but you will be fine with UKTV, as there is bound to be a remote that matches your box. We had to build my remote with tech support... but now everyone with my box in Belgium has the same control.

I think the Slingbox is a REALLY neat gadget.... and my on-screen remote is a photograph of my actual one and I just press the buttons with the mouse, and have 100% of the features I would have running the box at home with a physical remote.

One tip. I put the sling on a timer and sometime at around 5am- whatever suits you when you are asleep... it switches off for 15 mins. When it powers back up everything is reset. Just in case there is a glitch and you cant send someone in to reset it when you are away.

Very neat bit of kit.... and the software is on the box... meaning I can borrow a friends PC (if ever needed) and log in and see TV/recordings etc on their PC with no software needed locally on the PC. Great!

Jon
Yesterday we were in 'Antenas del Guadiana' buying a new telephone and were handed details of a package they are selling to receive English TV. Not internet. Using a dish. Much smaller than the ones we were using. 80euros and 300euros was quoted for the setup. Ðoes anyone know how they are doing this? Could it be the code encrypted satalite mentioned on the Portugal thread?
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Kay O ness is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Jon
Very interesting. I am a techy numbskull so am I right in thinking this is how it could work for me:
Connect uk tv to Slingbox by cable ( usb, scart,hdmi?)and slingbox to wifi network ( has it got internal wifi or does it need a dongle?)
At Spanish end- connect sligbox unit to tv ( again , what type of cable needed) and then slingbox connects to laptop of wirelessly to mifi router.
Sorry, does any of that make sense?
Thanks
Kay
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 11:02 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Kay O ness
Thanks Jon
Very interesting. I am a techy numbskull so am I right in thinking this is how it could work for me:
Connect uk tv to Slingbox by cable ( usb, scart,hdmi?)and slingbox to wifi network ( has it got internal wifi or does it need a dongle?)
At Spanish end- connect sligbox unit to tv ( again , what type of cable needed) and then slingbox connects to laptop of wirelessly to mifi router.
Sorry, does any of that make sense?
Thanks
Kay
Glad to help, Kay. The first time you have to set up your remote on the slingbox to match your skybox, freesat box or whatever. That takes a bit of time but do it step-by-step and it should work fine.

After that its easy.
  1. Connect (hardwire) your slingbox to your router so its on the net.
  2. Plug in the power cable.
  3. Connect the slingbox to a spare port on the back on your box. This is the video/audio signal. I am guessing that your box connects to your TV by HDMI... but you will have other outputs. (My slingbox is permanently wired to the set-top box and when back I disconnect the net/power supply and it hides behind the set-top box.

Thats it!

When away log into Slingbox web site, and start watching your TV from home in the UK.

I connect my PC to the TV with HDMI in Spain so I have the full screen. I bought a Teknet mouse from Amazon for less than a tenner, that works wirelessly from far away, so I can couch potato and do all the channel searching, recording etc etc. without getting out of my pit! So it is like a remote in its own right. You just call up a photo of your remote at home on the PC screen, and click on the buttons with the mouse, as you would from home.

I hope this makes sense. If you want to watch a lot of TV you will need a good fastish internet in Spain and able to download a lot. You also need a good UPLOAD speed in the UK... but so far everyone seems to have the speed needed.

Good luck
Jon

PS just thought when you select stuff from Spain, then your settop box is taking commands... so if someone else is in the UK house, they will watch what you watch (and vice versa).. so better to have an empty home - or a spare box!

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Apr 23rd 2014 at 11:20 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 11:05 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by olivia
Yesterday we were in 'Antenas del Guadiana' buying a new telephone and were handed details of a package they are selling to receive English TV. Not internet. Using a dish. Much smaller than the ones we were using. 80euros and 300euros was quoted for the setup. Ðoes anyone know how they are doing this? Could it be the code encrypted satalite mentioned on the Portugal thread?
I dont know enough - but personally think a satellite solution wont be a long term one.... just a gutfeel.

I saw this on ebay today - no earthly idea if its as good as it says on the tin

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-jailbrok...item19eb75790b

I reckon in a few months time we will know the best options, legal ones too...

Jon
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Guys

I really appreciate the replying. Kids for while content watching DVDs over lunch (so we can have some peace) but we are going to sort out proper system once dust settles with new tv (as we have big old styl).

I've signed up to smartydns.com even though we have a VPN account just to test it on their 14 day trial. I must say it works far better steaming than the Bon which would need reconnecting every 10 minutes. Difference is VPN you can acces skygo but smartydns you can't.

I rent and I think I'll send instructions to guests to start 14 day trial when they arrive if they have a smart device, then they can watch Netflix, bbc news whatever, think that will be enough. I like smartydns.com works great for bbc Iplayer. If I didn't have such an old tv I could have just connected ipad via apple cable.

Think in few months I will get new tv and all wire for ipad connection. The box from Macclesfield looks good but I think I'll see if it's needed,

Any info or suggestions appreciated. Would you be happy with wifi and advice on watching bbc etc on smart device for short rent? I think so?

X
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Hi Guys

I really appreciate the replying. Kids for while content watching DVDs over lunch (so we can have some peace) but we are going to sort out proper system once dust settles with new tv (as we have big old styl).

I've signed up to smartydns.com even though we have a VPN account just to test it on their 14 day trial. I must say it works far better steaming than the Bon which would need reconnecting every 10 minutes. Difference is VPN you can acces skygo but smartydns you can't.

I rent and I think I'll send instructions to guests to start 14 day trial when they arrive if they have a smart device, then they can watch Netflix, bbc news whatever, think that will be enough. I like smartydns.com works great for bbc Iplayer. If I didn't have such an old tv I could have just connected ipad via apple cable.

Think in few months I will get new tv and all wire for ipad connection. The box from Macclesfield looks good but I think I'll see if it's needed,

Any info or suggestions appreciated. Would you be happy with wifi and advice on watching bbc etc on smart device for short rent? I think so?

X
We are doing ok with smarty dns. We have bought a samsung smart tv. Cheapest from Carrefour. With hindsight we would just have got a new digital tv not smart and used the laptop. Smarty dns has far more unblocked channels for windows than anything else. Sky Go is there but you need to select projector mode on laptop display settings to get it on the tv screen. We watched F1 on Sunday morning just fine. So yes tell your renters to have their own device up and running and there is a large screen there if they want to use it. Smarty is only about 30 quid for the year. And if you set it up in the router as opposed to each device, anyone who logs on will be fine to acess iplayer etc.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: I hate to admit it but I need CBBC!

This is for Jon and Olivia, research so far shows that Iberbanda for me are only giving 1 meg on their € 42.50 package of BB landline No and 300 free mins to UK. I could change to the 3 meg pack and swop the Spanish free time for UK but then the price would be € 47.50.

Optimus from Portugal. They do have 4G offer it the phone shop in Tavira said it did not reach this Far East yet. The Optimus shop in Faro rechecked this and said they have one mast in VRSTO but we will have to get Olivia to use her system to check this although Canela should receive it just fine so she will be OK. SHE WILL NEED TO COME UP TO Esuri to check for us. The unlimited package is on offer with a short life deduction at € 15 but then reverts to € 29.99 you would need to buy the Hotspot at € 49.90 but have to take an 18 mth contract for those prices. Here is the big catch you need a passport and Portuguese fiscal No to get a contract.

I have also checked my Spanish providor and they seem to have 4G available in Ayamonte but futher work is needed on this path.

PS Jon I told you last time we spoke on the dog and bone there is a aerosol tin of green slime in the box!

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Apr 23rd 2014 at 6:00 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: I hate to admit it but I need CBBC!

That's idea. We have a router. Can you do something nifty then to that so gwen they connect to my wifi all their devices will have access to BBC etc?

Thanks!!!
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
This is for Jon and Olivia, research so far shows that Iberbanda for me are only giving 1 meg on their € 42.50 package of BB landline No and 300 free mins to UK. I could change to the 3 meg pack and swop the Spanish free time for UK but then the price would be € 47.50.

Optimus from Portugal. They do have 4G offer it the phone shop in Tavira said it did not reach this Far East yet. The Optimus shop in Faro rechecked this and said they have one mast in VRSTO but we will have to get Olivia to use her system to check this although Canela should receive it just fine so she will be OK. SHE WILL NEED TO COME UP TO Esuri to check for us. The unlimited package is on offer with a short life deduction at € 15 but then reverts to € 29.99 you would need to buy the Hotspot at € 49.90 but have to take an 18 mth contract for those prices. Here is the big catch you need a passport and Portuguese fiscal No to get a contract.

I have also checked my Spanish providor and they seem to have 4G available in Ayamonte but futher work is needed on this path.

PS Jon I told you last time we spoke on the dog and bone there is a aerosol tin of green slime in the box!
I will get out with the aircard and see what I can do.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's idea. We have a router. Can you do something nifty then to that so gwen they connect to my wifi all their devices will have access to BBC etc?

Thanks!!!
That is my understanding. If you have internet available for your guests then talk to the online chat with smarty and they will help you to set the DNS in the router.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.