Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

I hate to admit it but I need CBBC!

I hate to admit it but I need CBBC!

Old Sep 11th 2014, 9:38 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I hate to admit it but I need CBBC!

Originally Posted by Margaret and Derek
Jon,
We are hopeless at all the technical stuff,thats why we picked Proxy, step by step instructions for setting up whether it be router,tv or lap top, we are still on Iberbanda so I think you would get an even better result with Prinet which we will probably change to in the future. We have got it on lap top and smart tv and leave it on all the time.

Derek
Thanks Derek, I know the feeling! My 8 year old nephew is streets ahead of me on all the new technology!!! (as I was programming my parents video - its a generational thing!!) But if its easy to set up and works easily then it has to be a go-er.

If anybody more techie than us knows the answers to the last post, please can you let us know - thanks in advance

Jon
Old Sep 11th 2014, 10:02 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

A Smart DNS and a VPN do much the same this as far as the end result is concerned - ie it gets round the "geo-blocking" that some sites use to prevent use outside the UK.

You can install a Smart DNS pretty easily on any device including a router, but a VPN is much more difficult. You can put a VPN on an iPad or PC, etc. but not on a Smart TV. The reason for that is that almost anything that connects to the Internet has to use a DNS and that means it is relatively easy to change it to a different one - it's just a set of four three digit numbers.

Most routers will not allow you to use a VPN - it requires a router with special firmware to do that.

I use both, but have found that the Smart DNS route is by far the easiest and it is also the cheapest. Typically $5 a month, but less if you buy a longer subscription. A VPN can also reduce your Internet connection speed significantly, but a DNS has only a marginal effect.

www.smartydns.com offer a 14 day free trial..
Old Sep 12th 2014, 7:38 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
A Smart DNS and a VPN do much the same this as far as the end result is concerned - ie it gets round the "geo-blocking" that some sites use to prevent use outside the UK.

You can install a Smart DNS pretty easily on any device including a router, but a VPN is much more difficult. You can put a VPN on an iPad or PC, etc. but not on a Smart TV. The reason for that is that almost anything that connects to the Internet has to use a DNS and that means it is relatively easy to change it to a different one - it's just a set of four three digit numbers.

Most routers will not allow you to use a VPN - it requires a router with special firmware to do that.

I use both, but have found that the Smart DNS route is by far the easiest and it is also the cheapest. Typically $5 a month, but less if you buy a longer subscription. A VPN can also reduce your Internet connection speed significantly, but a DNS has only a marginal effect.

www.smartydns.com offer a 14 day free trial..
Thanks Fred, looks like the way to go vs VPN.

Though I dont understand the technicalities... but tthanks for the explanation.

Cheers

Jon
Old Sep 12th 2014, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Thanks Fred, looks like the way to go vs VPN.

Though I dont understand the technicalities... but tthanks for the explanation.

Cheers

Jon
I use OPENDNS - apart from it's security features, which are very useful, - it's free!! (although I haven't tried using it for spoofing a UK location, just on my personal PCs at home.
Old Sep 13th 2014, 8:59 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

OPENDNS is an ordinary DNS but with a few minor security features added. It will not allow access to geo-blocked sites, you need a "Smart DNS" to do this.

Almost every device that connects to the Internet uses a DNS. It stands for Domain Name Server. When you type in a site address (URL) the Internet cannot understand it as it needs the equivalent IP address which is a string of numbers. The DNS is basically a lookup function on a remote server that translates the URL into an IP address.

Most people use the one that comes by default with their router and if the router was supplied by Movistar it will use a Movistar server. This can easily be changed and one of the best is the Google server.

A Smart DNS is just another DNS server, but one with the ability to confuse certain sites into thinking you are in the UK. Unlike a VPN, it has to be set up by the server owner to allow unblocked access to individual sites whereas a VPN effectively gives blanket coverage of all sites.

VPNs are more complicated but offer very secure connections and high levels of anonymity, but at a cost regarding connection speed. On most connections that isn't an issue, but if you are struggling to get unbuffered IPTV on a 2mb connection the VPN could be the last straw that rendered it unusable.
Old Sep 13th 2014, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

harry-jac is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi i was thinking about changing my tv to a Samsung 32 inch smart box.
Using my hdmi lead from my laptop.Would you recommend this telly???Hoping to have Priinet installed when they contact
Any advice gratefully received.
Regards Harry
Old Sep 13th 2014, 6:08 pm

On most Samsung Smart TVs you can modify them to get the UK apps such as BBC iPlayer, ITV player and the C4 and C5 equivalents. You will need to use a Smart DNS to use them. I use the Intelsat 907 satellite for all the BBC etc HD channels but I use the iPlayers via the Internet for catchup and the quality of the BBC feed even on a 2.5mb connection is amazingly good. Not as good as HD but far better than SD.
Old Sep 13th 2014, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
On most Samsung Smart TVs you can modify them to get the UK apps such as BBC iPlayer, ITV player and the C4 and C5 equivalents. You will need to use a Smart DNS to use them. I use the Intelsat 907 satellite for all the BBC etc HD channels but I use the iPlayers via the Internet for catchup and the quality of the BBC feed even on a 2.5mb connection is amazingly good. Not as good as HD but far better than SD.
Unless you buy in the UK, of course, and bring it over, they come with UK catch-up apps. You can get the same smart apps on the Samsung Blu-Ray player too (in the UK) and this will fit in your hand luggage
Just offering some options we're considering and investigated too.

BTW: we saw the Samsung TV and the Samsung Bluray player at quite a good prices in Costco, Seville, if you have to buy in Spain.

Last edited by MikeJ; Sep 13th 2014 at 6:45 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 6:08 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by harry-jac
Hi i was thinking about changing my tv to a Samsung 32 inch smart box.
Using my hdmi lead from my laptop.Would you recommend this telly???Hoping to have Priinet installed when they contact
Any advice gratefully received.
Regards Harry
Hi Harry - Coming up the 'Gourmet Filling' for 'really baked' couch potatoes'

I haven't had a smart TV yet - so I cant really comment on it, however friends have one and I found it lacking (IMO) vs connecting your PC and using that... in usage terms. Also on this thread there seems to be a concern about this set up. But I like it (aka 'old fogey').

I'm used to Windows and when I see that on the TV screen - I navigate around 'instinctively': So note this post will be about Windows/PC - but with a little tweak you can change it to Mac, ipad etc... and get the same end result.

A disadvantage of PC+HDMI is that if you are using your PC for streaming video etc to the TV, then it is 'blocked'- cant really do other stuff (like mail). This doesn't bother me personally. Of course if you can get a smart-TV and have a HDMI connection for the times you need the PC - you get the best of both worlds, I suppose.

Collating all the discussions over the last year or so; the best set up (IMO) seems to be:-

(All these pre-suppose a TV with HDMI and a PC wth HDMI. Smart-TV is optional. AND the key - once you have a decent internet connection Hence my strong interest on the forum about getting a good internet over the months - everything depended on that.)

1. Slingbox to have full control of your home set-top box when away: Use it exactly as you would at home.

2. Remote mouse so you can control it from the couch!
TeckNet® 2.4G Wireless Performance Mouse - 8 Buttons (2 Programmable) - 18 Month Battery Life - Battery Level Indicator - 2.4 GHz -3 Adjustable DPI Levels: 2000/1500/1000dPi - Nano USB wireless receiver - Metallic: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessor TeckNet® 2.4G Wireless Performance Mouse - 8 Buttons (2 Programmable) - 18 Month Battery Life - Battery Level Indicator - 2.4 GHz -3 Adjustable DPI Levels: 2000/1500/1000dPi - Nano USB wireless receiver - Metallic: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessor
OR if you want less buttons/cost
TeckNet® M002 Nano Wireless Mouse,6 Buttons,18 Month Battery Life,2000 DPI 3 Adjustment Levels-Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories TeckNet® M002 Nano Wireless Mouse,6 Buttons,18 Month Battery Life,2000 DPI 3 Adjustment Levels-Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
PS you can even get a wireless keyboard/mouse combo from the same co(or others) .. all driven by a tiny dongle in the PC USB port

3 A DNS as mentioned on these threads, 2 have been recommended and they look good! To watch all catchup TV and worldwide geo-blocked sites for video and music - see previous posts.

4 An xbmc box that opens up the world of cinema, shows and TV. Free: A veritable cornucopia!! Take a look at the selection on ... (or Google'android xbmc tv box') Amazon.co.uk: android xbmc tv box: Computers & Accessories The first one at £75 looks excellent (but I haven't bought one yet, yet to finalise). Note that you can also search on 'Raspberry pie xbmc box' for an alternate version: OR you can download (+set up) the xbmc software free onto most devices (PC Ipad etc etc). Buying a pre-configured box gives you many/most of the apps you will need and saves hassle and downloading the S/W + set it up. It also frees up the PC for this, so worth considering. You tube has a wealth of videos to help/explain: Check it out.

I'm nearly there and this will be my personal set up when done. With this lot I reckon I will have at least 10-20x more TV+video+ music than before the satellite's 'switched off'!

I'm sure there are variants of this and others will prefer those that meets their specific needs, (for example an ipad /Mac with e.g Apple TV). If you like the above make the tweak.

So for a small cost Slingbox £80 (a bit more for HD model), Mouse £10, DNS a few dollars a month.. rest optional. It's a screamingly good deal (IMO).

I paid £230 for my Humax Freesat box before they announced the Satellite change, and that+installation was far more expensive and its just there for the channels that are left... which I could probably get with the above set up anyway (+more): If so I'll give it to a friend in the UK.

Good luck

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Sep 14th 2014 at 6:26 am. Reason: spelink mistaikes, my sceptre! :)
Old Sep 14th 2014, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Morning Jon.
Thanks for the wealth of info regarding tv's,wi-fi,dns etc...Fantastic.
Certainly got something to get my teeth into.I'm no techy but you simplified it a treat.
Thanks again Harry.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Fred/Mike for all the useful info.
regards Harry.
Old Apr 12th 2015, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Saycheese is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had my smart TV since Christmas and it works a dream. I bought the Samsung TV in Carrefour and added smarty DNS to my router. Then connected the TV to the wifi and changed the apps from Spanish to Uk. So I get BBC I player etc. Highly recommended. Thanks for all your help!
Old May 15th 2015, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Saycheese
I've had my smart TV since Christmas and it works a dream. I bought the Samsung TV in Carrefour and added smarty DNS to my router. Then connected the TV to the wifi and changed the apps from Spanish to Uk. So I get BBC I player etc. Highly recommended. Thanks for all your help!
Hi Cheesie
I wonder if you provide a little more detail on your setup = looks like what I want:
  • Which Samsung did you get? I am looking at the BD-H6500. and what did cost roughly in euros?
  • Are you using the standard Priinet router - I thought that they had the settings locked down and couldn't get at them. How did you set up the DNS/VPN?
  • If not Priinet which router did you select?
  • Is the downlink from the Priinet masthead box in Ethernet Cat5/6 cable or some other?
  • How much is the smartyDNS subscription?

Thanks in anticipation
Old May 16th 2015, 6:40 am

I can't answer the Prinet questions, but it is easy to change the DNS settings on the Samsung TV. You will also need to apply a fudge to allow it to receive the UK catchup channels but this is well documented.

The H series is fine for this modification, but it has now been superseded by the J series. The J series uses a totally new operating system (Tizen) which I understand may preclude changing the App country. I have not seen any confirmation about this, but should you decide you would prefer one the new series, you would need to research that very carefully.

SmartyDNS is $40 a year but they do other plans

https://www.smartydns.com/pricing/
Old May 16th 2015, 8:12 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Hi Cheesie
I wonder if you provide a little more detail on your setup = looks like what I want:
  • Which Samsung did you get? I am looking at the BD-H6500. and what did cost roughly in euros?
  • Are you using the standard Priinet router - I thought that they had the settings locked down and couldn't get at them. How did you set up the DNS/VPN?
  • If not Priinet which router did you select?
  • Is the downlink from the Priinet masthead box in Ethernet Cat5/6 cable or some other?
  • How much is the smartyDNS subscription?

Thanks in anticipation
Hi Mike

Cant answer the techie questions but the router you recommended a few years back for the TMN 3G dongle to give me wifi/'mifi', can be plugged straight into the ethernet cable coming from the aerial of priinet. Its a simple change, (even for me!!) to reconfigure it to ethernet from dongle, and vice-versa.

If fact I use it as a booster in Belgium to get good wifi upstairs (set to ethernet with a 'repeater' that I plug into the mains to carry the signal upstairs) and traveled with it for the dongle-usage in CE. When I went to Priinet, there was no settings to change... I just plugged it in and it immediately worked... as it was already set for 'ethernet input' for Belgium.

Its handy to have a back up to the Priinet router and also it of course bi-passes the security shell priinet put on (more for advertising I think but I didn't want my surname and Priinet broadcast, to the world, from our flat). I also hard wire from the router to get the best signal and then it is just as fast as the priinet one.

Maybe that would help? Dunno if that helps.. as you have the same or similar router.

Jon

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; May 16th 2015 at 8:15 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.