Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How to Sign on the PADRON and become EMPADRONMIENTO

How to Sign on the PADRON and become EMPADRONMIENTO

Old Nov 16th 2010, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How to Sign on the PADRON and become EMPADRONMIENTO

Originally Posted by MikeJ
I found an article which seems to clarify the issue of renewing your padron:-

Renewal: If you are not a European Union national AND do not have a permanent residence visa (autorización de residencia permanente), you will need to renew your empadronamiento every two years. In all other cases, you will not need to renew. Your community will consider you a resident until they hear otherwise. However, if you move, have a child, or if any of the information you have provided changes, you will need to update your information with the padrón.
Time to get down there and renew mine then. First one dates from 2005 and last autumn when I popped in and enquired I was told "leave it until you need it" buying a car etc. Now I need to vote although I read your post that the two are interconnected I shall renew just in case. I'll say I'm taking delivery of my new Aston!
Old Nov 16th 2010, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to Sign on the PADRON and become EMPADRONMIENTO

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Time to get down there and renew mine then. First one dates from 2005 and last autumn when I popped in and enquired I was told "leave it until you need it" buying a car etc. Now I need to vote although I read your post that the two are interconnected I shall renew just in case. I'll say I'm taking delivery of my new Aston!
Are you not a British national then? You could have fooled me. EU Citizens do not have to keep re-registering.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 5:26 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Yours wont run out as such as an EU citizen. Normally you will only need a new one if you deal with the tax office or other bureaucracy and they often insist it is within 3 months only. Some town halls charge, some dont. I got mine for free

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Nov 16th 2010 at 5:28 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 5:44 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Are you not a British national then? You could have fooled me. EU Citizens do not have to keep re-registering.
Greetings from CE!!

4 days in and been out with friends every day! Lots of fun even though the weather hasnt been that great and we've had some problems with the flat..

However we wanted to try out 'low season' and so far there are still lots of things to do... great!

1st time online - with my 'dongle'!

I just wanted to thank Mike and Fred for the great info above - very useful re padrons etc. Thanks for all the details...

Jon
Old Dec 9th 2010, 5:08 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=696392
Old Dec 11th 2010, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Time is running out to register for the Municipal elections on 22 May 2010.

Are you an owner or long term renter?

Do you pay LOCAL taxes?

Do you care about how those taxes are spent locally?

Is there no smell of corruption at your town hall?

Do you want to help improve things locally?

Do you want to be closer to the local indigenous population?

Costa Esuri was designed as a mixed development with about 900+ parcellas for individual casa's, 2000 town houses for families and 4000 apartments and duplex's which can be residential or holiday. There are Europeans of every nationality who live here and until now not a lot have become Enpadronmiento. Now is the time to make our voice heard.

If you sign onto the 'padron' (and return the appropriate form) you are entitled to vote in EU elections. This is EU law and not subject to Spanish interpretation.

For the local elections a separate voters list is being drawn up at the Town Hall and it is very simple to register. I have just done it downstairs at the Padron desk.

If you sign the electoral roll you should be able to vote in local (ie mayoral) elections.

You can do this at the Town Hall on Laguna Square or at your Gestoria. You can also do this online at :-

https://sede.ine.gob.es

Registering to vote is easy but you must do so by the end of December. Registration forms are available from your town hall or from the Electoral Census Bureau (Oficina del Censo Electoral) in each provincial capital until January 15th. You will need to bring your passport, your padrón or Escritura and just to be on the safe side your NIE certificate. If you are not sure, or wish to confirm that you are registered to vote you can check your listing by sending an email to [email protected] quoting your name, the address on your padrón, your passport number and your NIE number. Emails are accepted in English. Enquiries can be made at provincial delegation of the electoral roll office on +34 901 101 900

Registering is an administrative obligation of everyone. It has many implications for the citizen: gives you access to municipal services (schools, health centres, subsidies), voting rights, etc.; for the municipality: it is also good, the more people more income, greater number of council members and greater powers.

In local elections, the issues are purely local - not about banning smoking or sending troops to Afghanistan. Merely by showing that you intend to vote, you are sending a message to your local town hall, that your community counts and that you will do your part to integrate.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Dec 11th 2010 at 9:52 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Where to Register.

Just to the North of Laguna Square at the end of the building that starts with the Bank Andalucia passes the Town Hall Mayors office entrance is the Municipal offices. There is a ramp for wrinklies like me and steps on the corner for you young uns.

Up the steps and through the double doors keep to the right and pass the enquiries desk with the nice young man who has a little English but is so helpful. At the far end of the counter on the right is a very helpful lady who will sign you onto the Padron and then register you on the electoral role.

For the voters register you will need a new (€1.35 for the certificate) or recent Padron, passport or/and NIE and if this is the your first registration a copy of your rental contract or escritura.
This process is either instant or may take 3 days if you want your certificate signed by the Mayor.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Municipal Elections May 22nd 2011

The up coming elections are next year and it will be the first chance for most of us to influence what happens in our town and more particularly Costa Esuri. The voting system in Spain is very different to that in England and Lennox has just posted this on another thread,

"You vote by putting the 'papeleta' - the party list of your choice - inside an envelope behind a curtain. Don't mark it with a pencil, just fold it and put it in an envelope. In the booth, there are piles of lists from the different parties. You choose the one you want.
Local politicians and activists hand out lists and envelopes with their list already folded and ready to go: and you can make a point of waving at their candidate, patting your pocket and grinning (you may be hoping for a job or a building permit), but the fact remains, you have the opportunity to vote for whoever you want.
At each 'voting table', there are representatives from all the parties, so there will be fair-play and the voting booth with be properly stocked."

This may be more familiar to those from Scotland and Ireland.

I am sure the political scientists will be along in a moment to tell us how this system works but for now it will be sufficient to register become EMPADRONMIENTO and sign on the electoral role REGISTRO DE ELECTORES
Old Dec 12th 2010, 1:45 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

dont forget to take into account the formula used in most democratic countrys.let the people listen to the parties.let the people decide.let the people vote.and when its all over nearly all things stay the same or get worse.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 4:41 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

I have not read through all the thread, and if it has already been pointed out, I apologise.

It should read, how to sign on the padron and become EMPADRONALDO, or in the case of us less mortals who dont play for a Spanish footy team, EMPADRONADO.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betris
dont forget to take into account the formula used in most democratic countrys.let the people listen to the parties.let the people decide.let the people vote.and when its all over nearly all things stay the same or get worse.
Although things have got much better in the UK since May!
Old Dec 16th 2010, 6:01 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Although things have got much better in the UK since May!
yes some things certainly have.for the utilitys.bankers and politicians.and the rich but for most of us.they are worse.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

David and Margaret is on a distinguished road

Thanks John and Kath for explaining the procedure for signing on the padron and registering on the electoral roll. Last Monday we took your advice, followed your instructions and were soon back in Laguna Square having cafes con leche and incredibly surprised as to how straightforward the whole experience had been. Also we found the Town Hall very helpful and friendly.
Thank again.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by David and Margaret
Thanks John and Kath for explaining the procedure for signing on the padron and registering on the electoral roll. Last Monday we took your advice, followed your instructions and were soon back in Laguna Square having cafes con leche and incredibly surprised as to how straightforward the whole experience had been. Also we found the Town Hall very helpful and friendly.
Thank again.
Thats what we love about being here in Ayamonte, if you try just a little (Hola Buanas Dias) for instance they will try the very best to achieve what you want. Even 5 yrs ago there was so little English spoken that you felt outside the system now there is a scattering of officials in each office who have a little English and we muddle through.

When we go to night school for Spanish one of the classes before us is for English and it is very well attended and there is great cameradre between the classes. However in our class there are about eight nationalities and all live in or close to Ayamonte and are trying their best to be part of the community.

The next step is to get to grips with the voting system for the local elections with the slate of candidates for each party and to find out what they propose for this little Town of ours. If we can I would want to get the Mayoral candidates to come up to Esuri and tells us what they intend for us.

This year has been a good year for CE it has pulled itself up by its bootstraps and is moving forward albeit slowly. I was reading a blog the other day by a property pundit who lives the other side of the river who mistakenly thinks there are only eight properties on CE occupied and Mirrador is totally empty. How wrong can a person be!

The coming year will be the first one when the Residents Association is real and operates and hopefully will cement the progress made so far. We look forward to welcoming the new residents of of 2011 and wish all the old stagers : -

Feliz Navidad y Ano Nuevo Prospero.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The first party political meeting has taken place at Costa Esuri Golf Club when the PP Party presented its proposals for the future of Ayamonte with specific referances to CE. This just shows how fine the current Mayors future is balanced. just a few votes could unseat his minority administration at the Town Hall. One of the smaller parties has already withdrawn their support for the administration and they now govern as a minority. So as my by-line says no taxation without representation and do not forget we pay twice through the IBI and the EUC charge at least 2 Basura taxes as pointed out at the meeting.

Well it is not to late to register. With approximately 3 months until the elections, there is still time (just) to register to vote.

You must first register on the padrón - a list of all people living in a certain town. Registering not only gives residents the right to vote but also provides the municipality with extra finances for local services, as well as access to benefits and social care.

Empadronamiento (registration on the padrón) is straightforward and takes place at the local town hall. You simply need your address, your passport and a recent utility bill in your name.

Residents are also required to declare their intention to vote.

Normally, for existing residents, the voter registration form CERE-DFA-1 (Censo Electoral de Ciudadanos de la UE, no españoles, residentes) is required to be completed (or an REC-1 amendment form, if there has been a change of address), but the deadline for completing these forms has now passed.

However, by first registering on the padrón, it is still be possible to register to vote during what is known as the electoral reclaim period.
The reclaim period takes place between 4th and 11th of April and handing in an ELEC.5/MO3-1 form will be the last chance to state your desire to vote in your local election.

While engaging in the political process is obviously not a legal requirement, it does enable all residents to be involved in the community they live in and have their say in how it is run.

Or, to coin a well used phrase "No vote, no voice, no choice!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.