Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How to Sign on the PADRON and become EMPADRONMIENTO

How to Sign on the PADRON and become EMPADRONMIENTO

Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

spanish_lawyer will become famous soon enoughspanish_lawyer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How to Sign on the PADRON and become EMPADRONMIENTO

Originally Posted by lynnxa
apparently your info is out of date
Sorry, I don't think it. But if you can correct me, I will appreciate you.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:17 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spanish_lawyer
Sorry, I don't think it. But if you can correct me, I will appreciate you.
this is from the link in the thread I linked to

According to the National Office of Statistics (INE), the renewal period will depend on whether you originally registered with a residence certificate or with a passport. If you are a resident, you need to confirm your padrón status after the first five years and every two years if you registered using your passport.
http://www.surinenglish.com/20100507...005071306.html

maybe you could help us all by looking it up on the INE website - you probably have access to things that we don't

Last edited by lynnxa; Jul 18th 2010 at 4:33 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

spanish_lawyer will become famous soon enoughspanish_lawyer will become famous soon enough

this is from the link in the thread I linked to

http://www.surinenglish.com/20100507...005071306.html

maybe you could help us all by looking it up on the INE website - you probably have access to things that we don't
It is very simple. Only have to renew the registration every two years people non-UE not having permanent residence permit.

Art. 16 de la Ley 7/1985, de 2 de abril, Reguladora de las Bases del Régimen Local.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 6:01 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

It is very simple. Only have to renew the registration every two years people non-UE not having permanent residence permit.

Art. 16 de la Ley 7/1985, de 2 de abril, Reguladora de las Bases del Régimen Local.
you're right - it says nothing about EU residents having to renew every 5 years there

so where is the information in the Sur quote coming from?

it clearly says that INE says that you have to re-register every 5 years if you registered with your passport - which you still can/could depending upon the office - even if you are legally entitled to live here as someone from an EU country

all very confusing - so if you have old 'residencia' & used that as your ID to sign on (didn't you have to be on the padron before you could get that) or have signed on the new residents list & use that as your ID to sign up - you don't have to renew

the article does say that it's a new law though - & the one you have linked to is 1985

Last edited by lynnxa; Jul 19th 2010 at 6:06 am.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

you're right - it says nothing about EU residents having to renew every 5 years there

so where is the information in the Sur quote coming from?

it clearly says that INE says that you have to re-register every 5 years if you registered with your passport - which you still can/could depending upon the office - even if you are legally entitled to live here as someone from an EU country

all very confusing - so if you have old 'residencia' & used that as your ID to sign on (didn't you have to be on the padron before you could get that) or have signed on the new residents list & use that as your ID to sign up - you don't have to renew

the article does say that it's a new law though - & the one you have linked to is 1985
I do not know why the article writes that information. The Law was amended in 1996, but its final version is the one I mentioned.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Reptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really nice

[QUOTE=spanish_lawyer;8707934]
Originally Posted by jdr
You must have nice officials if they photocopy your things for you.
QUOTE]

You're right, jdr. But in Ayamonte officials are very, very kind.
Particularly when it comes to not enforcing the Bank Guarantee for Esuri!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 4:34 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Reptonian;8712566]

That is totally unbelievable, well not really in Spain I suppose.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How to Sign on the PADRON and become EMPADRONMIENTO

[quote=Reptonian;8712566]

Sorry to disagree but I doubt the officials had much say in the matter in Spain the Mayor reigns supreme and he decided that the guarantee should not be called in. This is even more astounding when considering his obligation to the wider Ayamonte electorate he is the president of the CE EUC and has a direct interest in the welfare of us Esurians. He has no obligation to MatinsFadesa or has he?
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=John & Kath;8712957]
Originally Posted by Reptonian
Sorry to disagree but I doubt the officials had much say in the matter in Spain the Mayor reigns supreme and he decided that the guarantee should not be called in. This is even more astounding when considering his obligation to the wider Ayamonte electorate he is the president of the CE EUC and has a direct interest in the welfare of us Esurians. He has no obligation to MatinsFadesa or has he?
Fortunately, John. The mayor and his adlministration is renewed every four years. Officials are until retirement.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a resident of Costa Esuri Ayamonte you should be registered on the Padron which entitles you to vote in the Local and European Elections. We have just had a notice to tell us that the register of electors is being drawn up and we have returned the tear off bit to the election body in Huelva to allow us to vote in the European elections.

I have now been told that for the local elections a separate voters list is being drawn up at the Town Hall and that it is very simple to register there also.

You can do this at the Town Hall on Laguna Square or at your Gestoria (mine Ramon has a supply of forms) but it is important to do this if you want to influence the local political scene. The current Mayor who refused to call in the Mortgage Guarantee against Fadesa is running a minority administration and can be dislodged with a small push from concerned voters.

So get on down there and register and exercise your right remember "No taxation without representation".

You can also do this online at :-

https://sede.ine.gob.es

Enquiries can be made at provincial delegation of the electoral roll office on +34 901 101 900

PS where is Spanish Lawyer when you need her?

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Nov 3rd 2010 at 5:08 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Reptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really niceReptonian is just really nice

Originally Posted by John & Kath
I have just heard from MichaelH who sometimes post on here that he is preparing an article (first promised in the Resident newspaper) and better still a video of how to do this at Ayamonte Town Hall.

When this is available I will post a link here to enable us to do this over the summer period before we all hide away for the winter.
John, (and Michael)

We never did quite get to the bottom of the discussions on how to sign on and the sub-discussion on entitlement. If I remember right there was a series of points raised about whether those of us who are not actually living in CE permanently were actually allowed to register. Where are we with this now please anyone?
Old Nov 8th 2010, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reptonian
John, (and Michael)

We never did quite get to the bottom of the discussions on how to sign on and the sub-discussion on entitlement. If I remember right there was a series of points raised about whether those of us who are not actually living in CE permanently were actually allowed to register. Where are we with this now please anyone?
We are not permanently resident in Spain but we signed up for the Padron and we also have received the form that John mentions for registering for the EU elections (haven't got round to signing the electoral roll but as John says it can be done online then I will certainly dothis) The form actually has our UK address on it (not sure how they knew) so they are well aware that we are not permanent residents -just ocasional migrants and we are permitted to vote.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 6:51 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
We are not permanently resident in Spain but we signed up for the Padron and we also have received the form that John mentions for registering for the EU elections (haven't got round to signing the electoral roll but as John says it can be done online then I will certainly dothis) The form actually has our UK address on it (not sure how they knew) so they are well aware that we are not permanent residents -just ocasional migrants and we are permitted to vote.
If I am following you correctly the sequence would be: -

I wish to come to live in Spain

1) To buy or take a long lease on a property I obtain my NIE as the first step. This allows me to open a bank account and transfer funds to Spain to complete purchase or lease.

2) I come to Spain bringing my Passport as my ID document.

3) I complete on my property giving me an Escritura or long lease.

4) I pop along to my Ayuntamiento office taking with me a) My NIE certificate, b) My Passport and c) My Escritura.

They photocopy each of these and register me on the Padron for the Municipality. I am so thrilled to be registered I ask for a certificate signed by the Mayor. They say come back in 3 days and pay €1.35 and you will have one.

I now have the four vital documents to start my new in Spain I can buy a car, register at the doctors and pay my taxes.

After 60 days I conclude that I wish to stay for the rest of my days and gather up all the aformentioned documents and pop down to the local foreigners office with a copy of form EX16 filled in pay my tax and receive my Residents Certificate and I am now legally resident in Spain. After my first year I can go along to the Hacienda and pay my income tax for the last year and I am legal decent and honest.

Is that about right?
Sorry if I am confused here...

But I would like to sign up LEGALLY and vote against the Mayor as I dont believe he has done any good for us via the EUC. I believe there are many people with the same opinion as me. I heard that he has a small majority - we have the chance to vote him out. His opponents have a huge opportunity to canvas/help CE residents and turn the balance of power. I wonder if they will take advantage of that. I.e make some promises to us and perhaps even help us with the sign-up process - taking into account the points in this post.

Here's what I understand from all the posts we have seen on this subject... I could be wrong* - but there does seem to be a strong agreement on the following:-
  • People are very unhappy that he didnt call in the bank guarantees - which cost him nothing - and wonder why he would not take up this 'insurance policy' from the banks. There was a payment made as I understand to activate the g'tees in the first place (the 'insurance premium') - so they were paid for and not called in! He let us down.
  • People worry that there is some behind-the-scenes agreement betwen the Mayor and the banks ('big business') - as this makes no sense to us. And he has made no explanation that I've heard of - or seen on this forum. (If there is an explanation - please post the link - for all to see). No explanation even after legal private action and also a petition from many owners. The banks can afford this! Its just 1 bonus less from the MANY they still continue to give!
  • People are concerned that the mayor was in the NATIONAL PRESS where they found that his law firm was somehow connected with the administrators. I heard that he was a partner in the law firm - and I think his name was on the business card and nameplate. It sounds like a conflict of interest to me. Even if he wasnt making any money from all this.
  • There is a general disatisfaction (to put it lightly) with the EUC - the awful way they involve owners, communicate, make decisions etc etc. As the president of the EUC, the mayor needs to show leadership and connection with the paying public/potential constituency. If he can't run the EUC properly - how can he run the whole town hall?

With no proper explanation, theres enough concerns here for me to vote against him. If I can do so :-
  1. LEGALLY and....
  2. With no 'overhead'.

However I am NOT a permanent resident in Spain. A property owner of a second holiday home, at the moment.

I dont want to sign up and in any way be liable for any extra Spanish taxes - nor do I want to have the hassle of doing a joint tax return - getting into tax treaties etc etc etc.. I pay taxes in my home country. That's enough Nor do I want any additional administration overheads.

So IF the ONLY thing I have to do are the steps in Johns post attached - to give me the right to vote - I'm happy to do it. If I have to redo it in a couple of years time - no problem. (The elections will be over then!!)

But its very important that there is ZERO overhead as a non-resident owner (apart from going to the town hall initially to set it up).

I think most people would agree with that.

Personally, as for voting in the European elections, I dont need that and can do that locally at home.

So is it possible to do this - with no overhead? *Also if Ive got it wrong in this summary - please correct me.

Thanks
Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Nov 14th 2010 at 7:01 am.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Sorry if I am confused here...

But I would like to sign up LEGALLY and vote against the Mayor as I dont believe he has done any good for us via the EUC. I believe there are many people with the same opinion as me. I heard that he has a small majority - we have the chance to vote him out. His opponents have a huge opportunity to canvas/help CE residents and turn the balance of power. I wonder if they will take advantage of that. I.e make some promises to us and perhaps even help us with the sign-up process - taking into account the points in this post.

Here's what I understand from all the posts we have seen on this subject... I could be wrong* - but there does seem to be a strong agreement on the following:-
  • People are very unhappy that he didnt call in the bank guarantees - which cost him nothing - and wonder why he would not take up this 'insurance policy' from the banks. There was a payment made as I understand to activate the g'tees in the first place (the 'insurance premium') - so they were paid for and not called in! He let us down.
  • People worry that there is some behind-the-scenes agreement betwen the Mayor and the banks ('big business') - as this makes no sense to us. And he has made no explanation that I've heard of - or seen on this forum. (If there is an explanation - please post the link - for all to see). No explanation even after legal private action and also a petition from many owners. The banks can afford this! Its just 1 bonus less from the MANY they still continue to give!
  • People are concerned that the mayor was in the NATIONAL PRESS where they found that his law firm was somehow connected with the administrators. I heard that he was a partner in the law firm - and I think his name was on the business card and nameplate. It sounds like a conflict of interest to me. Even if he wasnt making any money from all this.
  • There is a general disatisfaction (to put it lightly) with the EUC - the awful way they involve owners, communicate, make decisions etc etc. As the president of the EUC, the mayor needs to show leadership and connection with the paying public/potential constituency. If he can't run the EUC properly - how can he run the whole town hall?
With no proper explanation, theres enough concerns here for me to vote against him. If I can do so :-
  1. LEGALLY and....
  2. With no 'overhead'.
However I am NOT a permanent resident in Spain. A property owner of a second holiday home, at the moment.

I dont want to sign up and in any way be liable for any extra Spanish taxes - nor do I want to have the hassle of doing a joint tax return - getting into tax treaties etc etc etc.. I pay taxes in my home country. That's enough Nor do I want any additional administration overheads.

So IF the ONLY thing I have to do are the steps in Johns post attached - to give me the right to vote - I'm happy to do it. If I have to redo it in a couple of years time - no problem. (The elections will be over then!!)

But its very important that there is ZERO overhead as a non-resident owner (apart from going to the town hall initially to set it up).

I think most people would agree with that.

Personally, as for voting in the European elections, I dont need that and can do that locally at home.

So is it possible to do this - with no overhead? *Also if Ive got it wrong in this summary - please correct me.

Thanks
Jon
Jon there is one step that you have missed here and that is that as a non resident property owner in Spain you are liable to Government as well as local taxes.

Locally you will pay your IBI + Basura tax to the Ayuntamiento. There will also be the community and inter - community charge + EUC charge payable to the communities.

In addition you will pay national taxes in one of two categories resident, which is income tax and here a pension counts as income, and non -resident.

Non - Resident income tax or as it is popularly known imputed rental tax is a tax charged on all property that is not used as the main residence of the owner so that Spaniards who own more than one property and pay income tax at their main residence will pay imputed rental tax on their second or several other properties. It is this tax that non - residents pay based on a formula related to your catastral value.

The good news is that this year the Hacienda (Spanish HMRC) has been forced by Europe to extend to non - residents the tax breaks available to residents.

You pay this tax whether you actually rent your property out or not.

Previously residents could claim expenses aginst this tax and I suspect that they payed little tax on their second, third or more properties. Non - Residents could not claim expenses but now can so just as in UK your expenses will minimise your tax payable even eliminate it altogether.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Nov 14th 2010 at 9:12 am.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Jon there is one step that you have missed here and that is that as a non resident property owner in Spain you are liable to Government as well as local taxes.

Locally you will pay your IBI + Basura tax to the Ayuntamiento. There will also be the community and inter - community charge + EUC charge payable to the communities.
In addition you will pay national taxes in one of two categories resident, which is income tax and here a pension counts as income, and non -resident.

Non - Resident income tax or as it is popularly known imputed rental tax is a tax charged on all property that is not used as the main residence of the owner so that Spaniards who own more than one property and pay income tax at their main residence will pay imputed rental tax on their second or several other properties. It is this tax that non - residents pay based on a formula related to your catastral value.

The good news is that this year the Hacienda (Spanish HMRC) has been forced by Europe to extend to non - residents the tax breaks available to residents.

You pay this tax whether you actually rent your property out or not.

Previously residents could claim expenses aginst this tax and I suspect that they payed little tax on their second, third or more properties. Non - Residents could not claim expenses but now can so just as in UK your expenses will minimise your tax payable even eliminate it altogether.
Hi John&Kath,

"EUC charge payable to the communities"? I thought it was payable to Gestion Tributaria. Where does it go from there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.