Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How do you like your beefburgers

How do you like your beefburgers

Old Jan 16th 2013, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you like your beefburgers

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Eating horsemeat wouldn't worry me. I would be more concerned about other forms of contamination picked up at food-processing plants, e.g. e.coli. This happens regularly in mechanically processed meat in the US.

3 Major Beef Corporations Sued Over E. coli Outbreak

I sometimes make burgers and meatballs out of cerdo/vacuno mince (mixture of pork and beef), done to order at the butchers. The beef (lean steak) gives the flavour and the pork (with plenty of fat) keeps them nice and juicy!
That's right. 100% beef burgers all from the nice cuts of meat produce a beefburger that is too dry for my liking

Same with albondigas. The 70% beef 30% pork ones are nicer than the 100% beef ones

In the US now all mince is now boiled and bleached before being sold which kills E-coli but removes the flavour and destroys the texture. Same for McDonalds meat and all cheap mince where the cuttings come from the abertoir floor.

When we buy mince in Spain we choose the piece of meat and the butcher minces it there for us. This makes mince relatively expensive compared to the cr*p that Tesco is selling though

Last edited by cricketman; Jan 16th 2013 at 9:16 am.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 9:14 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Never rains but it pours - Tesco caught out by "local bags" in Wales

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...lsh-store.html
Old Jan 16th 2013, 9:15 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
That's right. 100% beef burgers all from the nice cuts of meat produce a beefburger that is too dry for my liking

Same with albondigas. The 70% beef 30% pork ones are nicer than the 100% beef ones
You need breadcrumbs in there too, surely?
Old Jan 16th 2013, 9:21 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

It's ok. having pork or horse meat in if they are labelled as such. Consumers have a right to know exactly what they eating. Same as buying mince, much better to buy steak and mince your own.

A French friend once gave us horse steak, you can tell, it looks tough and grainy!
Old Jan 16th 2013, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
It's ok. having pork or horse meat in if they are labelled as such. Consumers have a right to know exactly what they eating. Same as buying mince, much better to buy steak and mince your own.

A French friend once gave us horse steak, you can tell, it looks tough and grainy!
Depends what you mean by steak

We normally buy "aguja" to mince but my mother in-law actually buys solomillo at 25 euros/kg and gets that minced
Old Jan 16th 2013, 9:36 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
It's going back a few decades now, but I used to have a job in a Tescos butchery department. The amount of rubbish that was used up in the mincing machine was shocking - it was rare to see more than 40% beef meat in the mince meat - and they would have used even less if they had worked out a way to keep the colour looking right. One reason why it's worth paying more at a decent butcher or better quality supermarket to buy processed foodstuffs like mincemeat or burgers.
Tescos are really going to be under pressure as a result of this. A lot of people who don't eat pork for religious or social reasons, are now going to do their weekly shop elsewhere. I've no doubt they will survive, but I suspect their steady expansion of recent years is coming to an end.
Nothing really to do with Tesco, but their suppliers, they also supply ALDI, LIDL, Iceland, etc, and they all have had the same problem and had to withdraw products. Shows that they all get from the same people, at least the low cost and value ranges.
Thye will get it sorted out quickly, and I suspect one burger manufacturer will go out of business, and that more testing will get done, at least for a while.
Nothing wrong with horse meat, and it's eaten in many countries, but the problem is with the ingredients listed, they would only have shown beef as the meat, so that would be where the H&S people, well at least trading standards, woiuld get involved.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
You need breadcrumbs in there too, surely?
Not in burgers!
Old Jan 16th 2013, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

It was the IRISH food standards authority who discovered the horse and pig DNA when they were doing a routine safety check on cheap burgers available in Ireland.

I hear Tesco shares have been hit hard after the news, so every cloud has a silver lining.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Old Jan 16th 2013, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

So horsemeat has been found in Tesco Products but a spokesman says It's bollocks.
A woman has been taken to hospital after eating horsemeat burgers. Her condition is said to be stable.
I expect this only relates to those mini-burgers you have as snacks. You know, the horse d'oeuvres.
Are you in favour of Horsemeat in your burgers? Yay or Neigh?
I had a Tesco burger and now I'm feeling a little horse
Those Aldi horse burgers were nice, but I prefer My Lidl Pony.
Scientist: "Sir, we've discovered horse meat in your burgers." Tesco boss: "Why the long face?"
I really hope they launch a steward's inquiry into the Tesco horsemeat scandal. We must find out hoof to blame.
Good thing about these horse puns is it's stopped all the sick Jimmy Saddle jokes.
on the bright side - Tesco are now accepting vouchers from HMV

(Horse Meat Vouchers)
Old Jan 16th 2013, 2:12 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I should imagine that if the product(s) are safe to eat, irrespective of the actual mix/content, the only thing that can happen is Trading Standards take them to court for misrepresentation.

Old Jan 16th 2013, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

sujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of light

Do their veggie burgers contain uniquorn?
Old Jan 16th 2013, 3:33 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone fancy a Chinese ?

http://news.uk.msn.com/blog/trending...3-7ed3d6bba712

Looks like these poor sods were heading for the dinner table........
.....and maybe still are.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond repute

I've only just heard about all this.....I was appalled....I have just been to check on the burgers I bought from Tesco's yesterday....''AND THEY'RE OFF''!
Old Jan 16th 2013, 5:39 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Beast
I've only just heard about all this.....I was appalled....I have just been to check on the burgers I bought from Tesco's yesterday....''AND THEY'RE OFF''!
Mine are still under starters orders.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.