Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How close to the breadline?

How close to the breadline?

Old Oct 14th 2011, 9:26 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How close to the breadline?

Here's a very interesting, and long article in the New York Times on the economic challenges that Spain is facing, and how its companies are choosing to expand abroad in the current climate, including the UK (which is obviously not good for those looking for work in Spain)

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/15/bu...pagewanted=all

Aside from Latin America, Britain has arguably become the main target of Spanish companies abroad. Most of that investment occurred during the boom years before the financial crisis, notably the 2004 acquisition of the mortgage lender Abbey National by Santander and the 2006 takeover of BAA, the British airport operator, by Ferrovial.

But it has started to pick up again, according to Justine Winterburn, senior investment adviser at the British Embassy in Madrid. “As a result of the economic downturn, we are experiencing a rise in the number of companies interested in the U.K. market,” she said, with 2012 expected to show a further increase.

Britain welcomed 56 new Spanish investment projects in the past financial year, up 47 percent from a year earlier, according to U.K. Trade & Investment, a government agency.

The latest Spanish investments in Britain generated 3,542 jobs there, an increase of 116 percent over the previous year.

That is good news for Britain but infuriating for Spanish labor unions.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I Would you believe it, the passenger numbers did not reach projected levels which has resulted in a massive deficit for the Ayuntamiento and the Mayor has this week announced that the tranvia is to cease operating from 1 November.
Yes, I believe it, it's featured in the article I linked to. It's costing the ayuntamiento €800,000 annually in deficits, and the ayuntamiento already has a debt of €53 million, of which €2 million is owed to the operators. Not sure for how long they can continue losing money at that rate, I suspect they are delaying the inevitable.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 6:40 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I was watching the worldwide demonstrations against capitalism today, from Wall Street to Taiwan. Have our young people had enough of the old order? Somewhere someone spoke of a third industrial revolution, which I didn't properly understand, but I fully agree that the present system is f'ucked - Spain does not deserve to have 45% youth unemployment because of financial market's interference from the other side of the world.

But I worry about what the young 'indignados' have as an alternative for the current injustices. Communism didn't work, but is that true? It's working alright in China.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Well I actually sold mine and not at a loss. On the surface he was a good neighbour. Lovely home and garden and a family man. Once when OH was away there was a leak in the sprinkler system and he came and fixed it. Most of my neighbours were pure gold, spanish Lawyers and other professionals
So, may we be spared any more posts saying that the majority of British expats don't know what is really going on around them in Spain and that is why they think life here is good? Doesn't matter that your neighbour was accused of involvement in 40 murders, as long as his garden was sufficiently manicured and he was nice to his family, then?

Any how many of the Spanish lawyers amongst your former neighbours might have been involved in handling the purchases of those illegal homes that you are now concerned about so many Brits having been affected by?
Old Oct 15th 2011, 7:28 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I think it has become quite a popular tourist destination. A good day out is the DLR from the City stopping of at Canary Wharf, having a drink/meal at one of the bars at East India Quay, then back on train to Island Gardens to admire the view across the river to Greenwich. Then on to Greenwich itself, finished by a boat trip back up to Tower Pier.
I love London, always something to do.
Just for balance I also love Spain.
Having been well and truly baked during the last few months of sizzling temperatures here in Spain, I often fantasize of the familiar walk along the embankment from London Bridge to Chelsea. I couldn't afford the Savoy and stopped at Temple tube station instead for a cup of tea and a smoke.

The Red Lion just off Whitehall was another good stopping point and you could always spot an MP while sipping your pint.

I even saw Mick Jagger once when I walked past his house in Cheyne Walk, but he didn't see me, he was walking on cloud nine.

On many occasions I did the walk with an umbrella, I would love to do it with an umbrella right now.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 8:00 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

So, may we be spared any more posts saying that the majority of British expats don't know what is really going on around them in Spain and that is why they think life here is good? Doesn't matter that your neighbour was accused of involvement in 40 murders, as long as his garden was sufficiently manicured and he was nice to his family, then?

Any how many of the Spanish lawyers amongst your former neighbours might have been involved in handling the purchases of those illegal homes that you are now concerned about so many Brits having been affected by?
FFS get your act together or take some communication skills, you are all over the place in attempt to twist everything round to try to score points I said on the "surface" ie. it didn't affect the blue chip value of the area. I am sure those Lawyers driving around in their Bentleys and Mercs were involved...I don't recall saying I even liked them. Try to keep up!
Old Oct 15th 2011, 8:01 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Here we go, the world is going to change:http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-regime-change
Old Oct 15th 2011, 8:47 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I regret my last post and admit that the profundity of the topic has left me. I'm far more interested in the two ladies discussing the ordinary things in life - lawn sprinklers and the colour of knickers.

Four years ago, I was house hunting in Andalucia, near Antequera. We attended a social event for expats, a well packed occasion attended by the many locals. It culminated with many couples happily dancing around the dance floor.

We had a table in the corner as strangers and enjoyed watching the scene in front of us. Suddenly we were joined by an elderly lady who looked frightened. My wife got slightly annoyed because the lady sat very close to me.

When the dance finished, a group of the local ladies approached our table and we realised they were angry with the lady sat with us. They weren't just angry, they were like a lynch mob. I had to stand up and prevent them punching the tearful lady at our table.

We never found out the reason for this disgraceful behaviour, but I suspect the lady hiding at our table wasn't blameless.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 10:54 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

HBG, you should know by now that there aint no such thing as true friendship amongst women,
....only a temporary cessation of hostilities.

By the way rumour has it that China is now a Capitalist society on which its recent successes are founded,though as throughout the World it's only successful for some.
Meanwhile the political prisoners continue to slave away for their daily bowl of rice and it all just passes them by.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 6:11 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
HBG, you should know by now that there aint no such thing as true friendship amongst women,
....only a temporary cessation of hostilities.

By the way rumour has it that China is now a Capitalist society on which its recent successes are founded,though as throughout the World it's only successful for some.
Meanwhile the political prisoners continue to slave away for their daily bowl of rice and it all just passes them by.
Within my short lifetime, I've heard McMillan tell me that I had never been so well off, Wilson told me that the pound in my pocket had not been devalued, Maggie shut down the mining industry, the Queen started paying taxes and Blair took us to war.

But along the way I noticed that the rich kept getting richer while the poor couldn't keep up. In the sixties I grew my hair long to protest, but it didn't make any difference. I voted for all three parties at some time, but it didn't make any difference.

I still protest now, the first paper I read every morning is the Guardian. And I was totally gutted to find out that our fallen defence secretary, the chap drinking £25 bottles of beer in Dubai, came from East Kilbride. No wonder he looks embarrassed.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 8:26 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Within my short lifetime, I've heard McMillan tell me that I had never been so well off, Wilson told me that the pound in my pocket had not been devalued, Maggie shut down the mining industry, the Queen started paying taxes and Blair took us to war.

But along the way I noticed that the rich kept getting richer while the poor couldn't keep up. In the sixties I grew my hair long to protest, but it didn't make any difference. I voted for all three parties at some time, but it didn't make any difference.

I still protest now, the first paper I read every morning is the Guardian. And I was totally gutted to find out that our fallen defence secretary, the chap drinking £25 bottles of beer in Dubai, came from East Kilbride. No wonder he looks embarrassed.
As an ex Guardian reader (I quit the news habit, not the paper) I'm delighted to find another kindred spirit.

My take on government is this. Those at the bottom of the heap have been striving for fair treatment for centuries. Government is there to slow this down and prevent a truly fair society ever arising. It protects the rich and the powerful from ever having to shair the spoils out with any trace of fairness and justice.

That's why the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

FFS get your act together or take some communication skills, you are all over the place in attempt to twist everything round to try to score points I said on the "surface" ie. it didn't affect the blue chip value of the area. I am sure those Lawyers driving around in their Bentleys and Mercs were involved...I don't recall saying I even liked them. Try to keep up!
"Take some communication skills" - what does this mean, please? It doesn't make sense.

"On the surface" - yes, precisely. You often say that many British expats take Spanish people at face value and think they are friendly without having any real idea of what is going on. But you are apparently happy to accept whatever goes on "on the surface" so long as the surface is bright and shiny enough for you and doesn't affect the value of your area. Strange value system.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

"Take some communication skills" - what does this mean, please? It doesn't make sense.

"On the surface" - yes, precisely. You often say that many British expats take Spanish people at face value and think they are friendly without having any real idea of what is going on. But you are apparently happy to accept whatever goes on "on the surface" so long as the surface is bright and shiny enough for you and doesn't affect the value of your area. Strange value system.

Old Oct 16th 2011, 3:40 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

You got the rally call at last...what kept you. Lost your tongue too
Old Oct 16th 2011, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

You got the rally call at last...what kept you. Lost your tongue too
Always the charmer and still over doing the thingy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.