Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How close to the breadline?

How close to the breadline?

Old Oct 14th 2011, 9:53 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How close to the breadline?

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I know most of Spain and it doesn't exist at all, probably you are talking about out of the way pueblos with a load of inbreds and a lack of any culture. What would you know Stevie, your knowledge seems to only be of Madrid and tapas bars! Perhaps demolishing the costa concrete would be a start. It may get better as the economy gets worse, the spanish realise they have killed the golden goose perhaps they will attempt to get some things back and lose some of the arrogance.
I have just been to Italy and although I wouldn't want to live there the difference in friendliness and service is marked. The coast line is still stunning and not ravaged by third-world concrete blocks. Admittedly it is more expensive than Spain but I suppose you pay for what you get.
From my experience of so-called Italian culture, it consists mainly of taking ppls eyeballs out and robbing them blind.
Probably nick your false teeth as well if you slept with your mouth open.
Little wonder it's the home of the Mafia who have a sticky finger in nearly every pie.
Well as long as there's ppl. dumb enough to pay their exorbitant prices for rubbish service, I suppose it will never change for the better.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 9:55 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Such controversy over the simple subject of tax evasion. The North pay their taxes, the South don't. The North is prosperous, the South is skint.

Germany is in the middle, they too have a large black economy, but nowhere near Spain's.

There's only one conclusion. The Mediterranean countries will remain our poor cousins, like they've always been.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 9:59 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
As usual in your headlong charge into defending anything slightly negative about Spain, you make mistakes. I said "the excellent AVE", nobody is questioning the quality of the train service, what is being argued (by a Spanish guy that knows far more than you or I about the subject) is the business model, it's spread over too large a country with too few people to ever be profitable. You talk about "predicted figures", that's where this system has failed abysmally, the actual figures have never been anywhere near the wildly optimistic predicted figures. You can tell us how well the lines are doing, the article clearly states "Es que todas las líneas de AVE en España son deficitarias", they are all losing money! It goes on to say that´s why richer, more populated countries like Germany, Japan, France have very few lines, and no plans to have any more. I´ll leave you to argue with yourself, you can perhaps you can talk it into being profitable. I´ll leave you with a quote though before I go from La Vanguardia.

Spain's high-speed trains unprofitable
The Spanish railway company Renfe will close the AVE high-speed rail link Toledo-Cuenca-Albacete on July 1 after only six months in operation. As with other routes on Spain's high-speed railway network - among the largest in the world - the demand was too low. The Spanish daily La Vanguardia pokes fun at the ridiculous waste of money for the project: "Everyone here wanted an AVE link to score at the ballot box. This ghost train with its empty carriages and more staff than passengers is the parable of a country that went to bed rich and woke up poor; and went on dreaming the day after. When Merkel read the news at breakfast yesterday she no doubt cursed all the money Germany had invested in this absurd project. She probably thought it would have been cheaper to give a Mercedes to each of the nine passengers the train averaged daily rather than backing this senseless project in the land of Don Quixote."

Buenas noches.
Come on, we covered this back in August. The Toledo-Cuenca-Albacete service is a SERvICE. No lines or stations have been closed.

If you can produce evidence that the Toledo-Madrid service is poorly taken up, or the Madrid to Valencia service, or the Madrid to Barcelona service is poorly taken up, you would have a point.

And as I pointed out - once the French network is connected end of next year, you'll see numbers go up even more. Remember that we are at the depths of a severe economic downturn. How many decades was it before the Channel Tunnel (or even privatised British Rail) was able to turn a profit?

Lastly - to correct your commonly repeated jibe "headlong charge into defending anything slightly negative about Spain" I have always been open about negative things in Spain (as I find them - I appreciate that we all have a bias) . Search for pickpockets in Madrid (or Barcelona) or the difficulty in getting decent tea (or even paying the bill in decent time) and you'll find my username crop up. Please don't judge me by your own blinkered opinions! I even admit to disliking the heat of the Spanish summer - give me a shower in London in July, any day!
Old Oct 14th 2011, 10:00 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Well as long as there's ppl. dumb enough to pay their exorbitant prices for rubbish service, I suppose it will never change for the better.
The service was far from rubbish, excellent actually. Everyone we met was friendly and helpful...worth every penny.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 10:01 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I have been everywhere, don't have to rely on google like some. Had connections to Spain since I was in nappies. I read Sur daily because it was my local newpaper and have friends and relatives there so it is my natural interest. Sorry galicia is beautiful (for a visit) but I would stick pins in my eyes before living there! It is you who doesn't know about Spain, anyone would be aware reading between the lines of your posts that you sit on the computer picking up stuff from google and fantacising about the place.
Keep drinking your 2 euro coffee!
Old Oct 14th 2011, 10:02 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Such controversy over the simple subject of tax evasion. The North pay their taxes, the South don't. The North is prosperous, the South is skint.

Germany is in the middle, they too have a large black economy, but nowhere near Spain's.

There's only one conclusion. The Mediterranean countries will remain our poor cousins, like they've always been.
Well I think that about sums it up...nite, nite
Old Oct 14th 2011, 10:30 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Keep drinking your 2 euro coffee!
Two euros ? Thats a bargain.
It was the equivalent of six quid in St Marks square twenty five years ago.
They even advise you to book and pay for the toilet on the internet well in advance of a visit.
How sad can that be ?
Possibly the most over-rated,over-priced country in Europe and I never saw anything to match the better areas of Spain.

"Been everywhere" jacky ?..... now I know you cannot be serious.
I doubt that anyone who has lived all their life in Spain could seriously claim to have been everywhere.

Never mind jacky, I bet the Italian mafia just love you.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 10:35 am
Banned

Average coffee was 4 euro in nice surroundings. If you want to talk about rip offs what about the thousands of Brits who have lost hundreds of thousand each in property rip-offs in Spain. It is all over the internet, Facebook etc.

A lot of the mafia have moved over to Spain. One of my neighbours was arrested a few years ago, he was implicated in 40 murders in Italy.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 10:37 am
Not Banned (yet)

Two euros ? Thats a bargain.
It was the equivalent of six quid in St Marks square twenty five years ago.
They even advise you to book and pay for the toilet on the internet well in advance of a visit.
How sad can that be ?
Possibly the most over-rated,over-priced country in Europe and I never saw anything to match the better areas of Spain.

"Been everywhere" jacky ?..... now I know you cannot be serious.
I doubt that anyone who has lived all their life in Spain could seriously claim to have been everywhere.

Never mind jacky, I bet the Italian mafia just love you.
Another excellent post Dick.
I'd like to meet the person in most countries who's claimed to have been "everywhere". Even here in England it must take some doing to have seen every part of the country. Luxembourg in one lifetime, perhaps! I do contract work currently in the UK, and have been based recently in Docklands. Quite an eye opener, and I suspect a good proportion of the 9 million Londoners (apart from the local East Enders) have never explored this part of London.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 10:55 am
On the road again.

Average coffee was 4 euro in nice surroundings. If you want to talk about rip offs what about the thousands of Brits who have lost hundreds of thousand each in property rip-offs in Spain. It is all over the internet, Facebook etc.

A lot of the mafia have moved over to Spain. One of my neighbours was arrested a few years ago, he was implicated in 40 murders in Italy.
If you choose to live next to neighbours like that I don't blame you for moving.

Round my way good neighbours are a top selling point for most properties and mine are pure gold, but there again it's much the same at my home village in the UK.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Another excellent post Dick.
I'd like to meet the person in most countries who's claimed to have been "everywhere". Even here in England it must take some doing to have seen every part of the country. Luxembourg in one lifetime, perhaps! I do contract work currently in the UK, and have been based recently in Docklands. Quite an eye opener, and I suspect a good proportion of the 9 million Londoners (apart from the local East Enders) have never explored this part of London.
I think it has become quite a popular tourist destination. A good day out is the DLR from the City stopping of at Canary Wharf, having a drink/meal at one of the bars at East India Quay, then back on train to Island Gardens to admire the view across the river to Greenwich. Then on to Greenwich itself, finished by a boat trip back up to Tower Pier.
I love London, always something to do.
Just for balance I also love Spain.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 8:01 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

There you go again coming in with your snarky asides almost everytime I post, some concierge
As per usual totally over the top, my few comments have suddenly become almost everytime you post, is it possible that your people skills need a little work. Sorry I forgot that everyone else has rose coloured specs and only you know anything about anything or should I say everything about everything.

Graham
Old Oct 14th 2011, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Come on, we covered this back in August. The Toledo-Cuenca-Albacete service is a SERvICE. No lines or stations have been closed.

If you can produce evidence that the Toledo-Madrid service is poorly taken up, or the Madrid to Valencia service, or the Madrid to Barcelona service is poorly taken up, you would have a point.

And as I pointed out - once the French network is connected end of next year, you'll see numbers go up even more. Remember that we are at the depths of a severe economic downturn. How many decades was it before the Channel Tunnel (or even privatised British Rail) was able to turn a profit?

Lastly - to correct your commonly repeated jibe "headlong charge into defending anything slightly negative about Spain" I have always been open about negative things in Spain (as I find them - I appreciate that we all have a bias) . Search for pickpockets in Madrid (or Barcelona) or the difficulty in getting decent tea (or even paying the bill in decent time) and you'll find my username crop up. Please don't judge me by your own blinkered opinions! I even admit to disliking the heat of the Spanish summer - give me a shower in London in July, any day!
I travelled on the Madrid-Toledo service a couple of weeks ago and it was packed, in both directions. Judging by the conversations taking place around us it is popular with tourists from all over the world, we had a nice conversation with an Australian couple sitting opposite us, who want a fast connection so that they can comfortably fit in a day's visit to Toledo whilst staying in Madrid.

Some of the revenue deficiencies in these infrastructure projects are down to inefficiences and bad planning in the way they are operated, IMO. A small scale example is the tranvia between Velez-Malaga, where I live, and the coast at Torre del Mar. When it began operating, the public transport company which runs it continued to operate their buses on the same route, which surprise, surprise, leave at exactly the same times as the tranvia does. Would you believe it, the passenger numbers did not reach projected levels which has resulted in a massive deficit for the Ayuntamiento and the Mayor has this week announced that the tranvia is to cease operating from 1 November. But this has been threatened several times before and there has been a last minute reprieve, so vamos a ver! Also, the fares were set very high, I did read that it was the most expensive form of public transport in Spain, and they do not seem to grasp that if you make the fare cheaper, the take-up will increase.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 9:15 pm
Banned

If you choose to live next to neighbours like that I don't blame you for moving.

Round my way good neighbours are a top selling point for most properties and mine are pure gold, but there again it's much the same at my home village in the UK.
Well I actually sold mine and not at a loss. On the surface he was a good neighbour. Lovely home and garden and a family man. Once when OH was away there was a leak in the sprinkler system and he came and fixed it. Most of my neighbours were pure gold, spanish Lawyers and other professionals
Old Oct 14th 2011, 9:16 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I meet a Spanish neighbour on a regular basis and we discuss everything under the sun, as equals. We are able to have those discussions because we live in similar houses, own similar cars and probably have similar incomes.

In any comparison between the two races, you have to do it on a like for like basis, otherwise it doesn't make sense. A wealthy expat moving into a poverty stricken mountain village may as well move into a Zoo, because he will always be regarded as something from outer space by the locals.

Lately, when I meet up with my Spanish neighbour, we've stopped discussing how we dislike our oldest son's choice of partner, we've even cut short our football talks; it's all about the Crisis now, and what's going to happen next - will we get the Peseta back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.