Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How to check legality of Spanish lawyer

How to check legality of Spanish lawyer

Old May 3rd 2018, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to check legality of Spanish lawyer

Giving your Abogada PoA makes things some much simpler. We gave ours PoA when we purchased and he retains it to this day.
Once he had PoA the next time I saw him was to pick up the keys. He also arranged all my utilities, bank account, dd's etc.
He was recommended by the Agent but I did check him out though and was fortunate in that I had friends in the area who knew him etc. I would not have given a PoA otherwise.
I agree with Missile the process is quicker than the Uk when it goes well (5 weeks in our case).
I do not have personal experience but it does seem when things go wrong it may have disastrous consequences.

Last edited by johnnyone; May 3rd 2018 at 8:09 am. Reason: further comment added
Old May 16th 2018, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
This is the site you can start with :

http://www.abogacia.es/2014/10/07/ej...cho-en-espana/

Just a "By the Way" there are several posts on this site which clearly recommend you do NOT buy a property through a lawyer recommended by the estate agent who sold you the property.
Dead right .
Old May 25th 2018, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Smithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along

Just a "By the Way" there are several posts on this site which clearly recommend you do NOT buy a property through a lawyer recommended by the estate agent who sold you the property.
This is sound advice!

Unless you are buying an apartment in the middle of a Spanish town, any other type of property often has some issues with them... This is not normally a problem, but you want a good lawyer, someone who will work for YOU and find any issues and sort them out etc - preferably at the sellers expense, not yours before the sale.

Many estate agents use lawyers who are good at just smoothing things out and move the process along. At the time you will think they are great.. but the property you are buying may have some unresolved legal problem that then reappears in years to come...

It is not uncommon to find illegal pools or pool houses on Urban or Rustic plots - It's is also not impossible to find illegal buildings on part of the house...

I have had my lawyer tell me point blank before, "I recommend that you don't buy this house" - that is someone that works for you! No lawyer that is recommended by an Estate Agent is ever going to tell you this... they would never work for that EA again!

Last edited by Smithy73; May 25th 2018 at 10:15 pm.
Old May 26th 2018, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smithy73
This is sound advice!

Unless you are buying an apartment in the middle of a Spanish town, any other type of property often has some issues with them... This is not normally a problem, but you want a good lawyer, someone who will work for YOU and find any issues and sort them out etc - preferably at the sellers expense, not yours before the sale.

Many estate agents use lawyers who are good at just smoothing things out and move the process along. At the time you will think they are great.. but the property you are buying may have some unresolved legal problem that then reappears in years to come...

It is not uncommon to find illegal pools or pool houses on Urban or Rustic plots - It's is also not impossible to find illegal buildings on part of the house...

I have had my lawyer tell me point blank before, "I recommend that you don't buy this house" - that is someone that works for you! No lawyer that is recommended by an Estate Agent is ever going to tell you this... they would never work for that EA again!
+1
Old Sep 11th 2018, 11:40 am
Just Joined

allonbys is an unknown quantity at this point

yes your own lawyer a must.
I had lots of grief trying to buy and yes illegal pools garage etc.
Know the agents dont care just want the sale and moneys and most lawyers the same.
Amazing how quiet they go and avoid the questions when problems!
So be careful as i am still looking to buy.
Who know of the FINES from local councils for pools and extra big buildings extensions ?
Tried Malaga area but all grief so now look near Alicante area!