Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

House Demolished

House Demolished

Old Jan 14th 2008, 6:59 am
Eve
BE Enthusiast

Eve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud of
Default Re: House Demolished

I do believe this sad case of house demolitionm is just about to be shown on GM TV. I can't watch it as have to go to work now.
Luv Eve
Old Jan 14th 2008, 7:24 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eve

I do believe this sad case of house demolitionm is just about to be shown on GM TV. I can't watch it as have to go to work now.
Luv Eve
Yeah completely gone, not a bit of rubble anywhere.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eve

Luv Eve
Yes it was, and they interviewed the owners of the next house to be demolished.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Mark Paddon is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by twyntub
That's why a habitation licence is so important.

Builders often get planning permission for X, but build Y. If they can sneek another 10% more appartments into a block - they can literally get 10% more money for nothing. Or they can make gardens a little smaller and sneak another row of villas in.

Having planning permission / a licence to build is almost irrelevant if the builder doesn't actually build exactly what's been agreed. At least getting the habitation licence means that the town hall are happy with what's actually been built, including what's around it.

We know many people having 'major issues' with their new build. The one thing in common - none have a habitation licence in place. We certainly have no intention of completing without one knowing what we now know.
I agree with this comment but also make sure you check that the plans held at the town hall comply with the regional 'normas', the town hall or at least regional govt (deputatcion de architectura y urbanisation) should be able to give you a copy that applies to your zone. In many cases houses may to too large for the plot (permitted figures given in the 'normas') or have an extra storey (permitted number also stated) boundary distances are also a common issue. No matter what your builder,town hall or solicitor says. If it breaches the 'normas' it is illegal. I know of houses on urbanisations with certificates of habitation that still suffer fines (and potential partial demolition orders) because the town hall has given the licence of habitation turning a blind eye to for example (an illegal 3 bed apartment in the underbuild which can never be legalised).

Always use an independent lawyer and stress to them that you require confirmation that the house complies with the regional 'normas' (especially underbuild elements!). They may not want to do the extra work, but it's well worth while. I stress to many people that a well established re-sale on a proper urbanisation is the safest bet for many reasons.(Checks of actual accommodation against normas should still be made) Unlike in the UK (where most illegal works would be stopped well before completion) people get away with completing selling illegal builds. Most Brits just can't believe this to be possible when they see other houses around them, 'paper' work and have leagl checks carried out. Most solicitors will feel they are 'off the hook' once the town hall has said all is OK, but in reality the town hall is normally saying that there are no known issues to date. That does not mean that issues won't crop up in the future and they could simply be waiting for a neighbour to complain.

Get your solicitor to research beyond the town hall if you can. In some cases e.g. Marbella the town hall has simply given licences on land that should not be developed in return for large sums of money. The Spanish Govt has set aside billions of euros for compensation in demolition cases and no matter how you look at it illegal development is bad for any country so the environmentalists and fully legal developers are all for getting rid of properties that are in breach. (as the practice of taking money for illegal licences subsides, some officials may be offered money for doing the right thing and demolishing) plus of course a loss in licencing revenue at the town hall, can be replaced with an increase of fines. It's often the builder that is fully aware that paperwork has been twisted or elements of the property breach the planning regulations. Very sadly many honest people suffer as a result, but bear in mind, if demolitions don't occur, some builders will simply continue the practice which has to be stopped. Also bear in mind that for every unfortunate storey, there are thousands of people living in problem free houses as there are plenty of decent legal houses available in Spain and indeed some good law abiding developers.

Last edited by Mark Paddon; Jan 14th 2008 at 11:47 am.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:26 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Surveyor Can you provide a link for your statement that the spanish Gov. has set up a fund to compensate for demolitions? Also what is the point of hiring a Lawyer if you have to do all the searches yourself!
Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:54 pm
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

The mayor of Marbella is pushing forward the plan to charge Illegal properties to be charged to have their status changed.

She is pushing the plan with the Junta De Andulucia for acceptance, this will then result in the 18,000 illegal property develops being levied a charge, if that developer has gone bust, then the owners will need to finance the charge or face having the property demolished.

Great money making excercise.

Malaya ruins the council, then the council charges the victims.

Maybe they should make every house legal and put the developers in prison.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 7:55 pm
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
Has anyone seen any update as to what is happening since house was demolished. Tried the searching GMTV on internet as was also at work so missed the article on there? Would like to follow progress.
Thanks guys!
Chris XXX
Old Jan 14th 2008, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

I'll try and keep you informed - I write a blog on The Entertainer Online with regular updates.
At the moment, the neighbours are forming an association and the Albox based Abusos Urbanisticos almanzora No!has issued this:

AUAN condemns demolition of Britons' home
Statement from the AUAN, Sunday, January 13-2008

So,it has finally happened! As the AUAN, set up to fight for the legalisation of all the illegal houses in the Almanzora Valley, reaches the first anniversary of its foundation, a British couple’s home has been demolished in Vera! What a disastrous start to 2008 for Mr and Mrs Prior, and a matter of grave concern to the rest of us who find ourselves at risk from a similar fate.

The AUAN has been warning of the danger. Many people have just refused to acknowledge it and, because they have an escritura for their house, or even just their land, consider they are fully legal.The AUAN has yet to finish the investigation into the background of this disturbing incident, but the Spanish press carry the story that the Mayor of Vera has indicated that Mr and Mrs Prior’s house was ‘fully legal’. This gives us little comfort.

Mr Louis Caparrós, the Director of Public Works and Transport with the Junta of Andalucia, is reported as saying that the rule of law has been restored in Andalucia by the demolition of the Prior’s villa. Where was the rule of law on planning matters years ago, when the authorities either turned a blind eye to, or actively encouraged, the property developers? Where was the rule of law, when the Abogados failed to warn the purchasers of the dangers of buying these ‘illegal’ properties? So the Junta makes an example of the homeowner? It is not an indication of strong Government, to victimise the weak!

What a body blow to the Andalucian reputation this incident has been. The demolition has been widely reported in the British, and other foreign press, with the reaction ‘Shame on Spain‘. Will the Spanish be surprised when the tourists and retirees stop coming to Spain?

This entire situation is damaging to the economic prosperity of the region and impacts all of us who live here.

We forget at our peril that the Supreme Court Public Prosecutor, Antonio Vercher, said in November 2006 that 100,000 illegal properties would have to be demolished in Spain. Five Spanish owned properties were demolished near Cordoba just before Christmas. The Spanish press links the demolition of the Prior’s home with the other 5 properties nearby, and 11 houses near Albox. Somebody’s pain is about to get worse!

The AUAN will continue to increase its pressure on the EU and British Governments to, in turn, apply pressure on the Spanish Government. We shall again petition the King of Spain, and we shall demand from local Mayors a clear indication of how dangerous the threat is.

.....and what can YOU do? Support the AUAN. If you are concerned, join us! You will be very welcome. The more members we have, the louder our voice to demand fair play for the homeowner!
Old Jan 15th 2008, 12:36 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Surveyor Can you provide a link for your statement that the spanish Gov. has set up a fund to compensate for demolitions? Also what is the point of hiring a Lawyer if you have to do all the searches yourself!

Having a couple of dealings with Lawyers in the UK. I had to do most of the reseach, in one case telling the Barrister, that cost me 500 an hour the law.
It seems some are the same all the world over
What a shame for the people
Old Jan 15th 2008, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Olmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lcortez
And once again,for the third time,it is a LOOPHOLE in the LUV law that is being exploited by unscrupoulous builders,it is not merely a case of corrupt officials accepting backhanders!!!!!
This information is all available with just 2-5 muns Googling,but I guess that would involve actually doing some research!!!!
Icortez, could you please give me a direct link explaining that loophole in the LUV? (In Spanish or English). Thanks.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:39 am
Banned

geisterbahn will become famous soon enoughgeisterbahn will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Lenox
An elderly retired English couple watched as their house was demolished today in Vera, Almería, by bulldozers under orders from the Junta de Andalucía. The house was four and a half years old and had planning permission from the Vera town hall. The couple had received a letter two weeks ago warning them of the demolition order (a warning they were told to discount by their lawyer) and this morning their power and water (surely signs of legal occupation) were cut. The Guardia came round and told them to be out by 3.30pm when the bulldozers were booked to knock the house down. Neighbours helped the couple empty the house which, at 3.30 sharp, was demolished. The garage and a garden shed - on a different permit - were spared.
The husband had a suspected heart-attack during the proceedings and was attended by a doctor.
Their entire savings were in their house. So now, what do they do?
IT,S HAPPENING ALL THE TIME IN SPAIN, ITS JUST KEPT QUIET.THE NEW COAST TO BUILDINGS LAWS WILL SEE THEM GO DOWN LIKE A PACK OF CARDS. I WROTE LASTWEEK .I WOULDNT BUY A PEBBLE IN SPAIN , NEVER MIND PLOUGHING ALL YOUR LIFE SAVINGS IN TO A HOUSE. ANOTHER EXPAT USER REPLIED, ARNT YOU JUST A FUN BLOKE. YEAH! BUT i AM RIGHT. NO FRIENDS WATCH YOUE BACKS ! DONT THRUST THE TOWN HALLS , THEY ARE ALL LINING THEIR POCKETS, ITS LIKE THIS. THE BUILDER IS THE TOWN HALLS PLANNING OFFICERS BROTHER. THE CHEIF OF POLICE IS THEIR UNCLE.THE GUARDIS CHIEF IS THEIR BROTHER IN LAW. AND SOIT GOS ON. EVERY BODY SLEEPING IN THE BANK MANEGERS BED. AND THE LAWYER YOU USE IS ALSO IN ON THE DEAL. NO THANKS . SPAINS A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE BUT A CARAVAN WILL DO ME THANKS .
Old Jan 16th 2008, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geisterbahn
EVERY BODY('s) SLEEPING IN THE BANK MANEGERS BED.

and it's so crowded in here
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

tallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nice

EVERY BODY SLEEPING IN THE BANK MANEGERS BED.
It is round here, I was in a hotel/ restaurant about a week ago on a small table in a dark corner was the local bank manager ( male ) and the assistant manager ( who is a very stunning female ) then after their coffee they dissapeared up the back stairs towards the rooms.........do we have a jealousy icon?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:25 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

IT,S HAPPENING ALL THE TIME IN SPAIN, ITS JUST KEPT QUIET.THE NEW COAST TO BUILDINGS LAWS WILL SEE THEM GO DOWN LIKE A PACK OF CARDS. I WROTE LASTWEEK .I WOULDNT BUY A PEBBLE IN SPAIN , NEVER MIND PLOUGHING ALL YOUR LIFE SAVINGS IN TO A HOUSE. ANOTHER EXPAT USER REPLIED, ARNT YOU JUST A FUN BLOKE. YEAH! BUT i AM RIGHT. NO FRIENDS WATCH YOUE BACKS ! DONT THRUST THE TOWN HALLS , THEY ARE ALL LINING THEIR POCKETS, ITS LIKE THIS. THE BUILDER IS THE TOWN HALLS PLANNING OFFICERS BROTHER. THE CHEIF OF POLICE IS THEIR UNCLE.THE GUARDIS CHIEF IS THEIR BROTHER IN LAW. AND SOIT GOS ON. EVERY BODY SLEEPING IN THE BANK MANEGERS BED. AND THE LAWYER YOU USE IS ALSO IN ON THE DEAL. NO THANKS . SPAINS A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE BUT A CARAVAN WILL DO ME THANKS .
No need to shout we get the message I agree with you, there is a lot going on behind closed doors we don't get to know about
Round here it seems that everyone is either related or old school friends or just easy to bribe. I don't trust anything I hear any more
Old Jan 16th 2008, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Lionda;5796477]Round here it seems that everyone is either related or old school friends or just easy to bribe. [QUOTE]

This is not unique to spain.
Only this morning I was asked if I was a mason.
"If you were a mason you could"......... said the person concerned when I wanted something that is not easy to obtain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.