Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Hondón de las Nieves - Urban Plan

Hondón de las Nieves - Urban Plan

Old Feb 24th 2008, 3:34 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hondón de las Nieves - Urban Plan

Originally Posted by HereKittyKitty
I am finding it all very worrying. We too looked upon this area as ideal for us (no apartment blocks and semi-rural). It must be especially worrying for those who have bought or built with land with all this land-grab talk. Much as I am trying not to get too stressed about it all (we could have chosen anywhere we wanted) I am beginning to wake up for hours in the early hours wondering if we have made the biggest mistake of our lives! It certainly has been the biggest decision we have ever made after years of thinking about it.

After weeks of reading about habitation licences and other wrong-doings I am coming round to the thought that maybe our dream of a better or just plain different way of life may not turn out to be so good?

Yet when we visited there, spoke to people already living there (and loving it, despite teething problems) we really felt it was "for us".

I am beginning to wonder if the whole building trade in Spain works on corruption as well as the Town Hall and others. Surely it can't be that bad? If it were, would so many expats from different Countries go there to live?

We are invseting all we have in this (which isn't that much really!) and I pray it turns out to be as we expected for us and our 7 year old boy.
Not much point to this post really, just typing what I am feeling at the mo!:confused:

There's a point to every post, in fact I could have written your post as we had similar feelings and hopes. We were buying on a different urbanisation but the problems are the same, which is why we have pulled out. The corruption is the main reason we no longer wish to invest in property in Spain and are returning to the UK. I hope your place is all you expect it to be, but please read all that TT is saying and take it on board.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

bchapl is an unknown quantity at this point

Many, many thanks, TT, for sending me the Pdf of the plans - still looking to find if our house is affected, as I'm not quite sure of the number of our plot! Should I know this already or should I get in touch with the Town Hall about this? We don't even have an address yet, but are coming over in a couple of week's time and apparently the Town Hall will then give us an address, but this is much appreciated in any case - I'll keep you informed! And, as you rightly say, if we all get together to fight this, there will be a solution. I am once again so grateful that I found this forum and HereKittyKitty, your post does have a point, as Lionda says, and I too have been kept awake at night wondering if this has been the most costly mistake of our lives! I'll think of you when I'm making myself yet another cup of tea at 4 in the morning!
Best wishes to everyone,
bchapl
Old Feb 24th 2008, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Hondón de las Nieves - Urban Plan

Originally Posted by bchapl
Many, many thanks, TT, for sending me the Pdf of the plans - still looking to find if our house is affected, as I'm not quite sure of the number of our plot! Should I know this already or should I get in touch with the Town Hall about this? We don't even have an address yet, but are coming over in a couple of week's time and apparently the Town Hall will then give us an address, but this is much appreciated in any case - I'll keep you informed! And, as you rightly say, if we all get together to fight this, there will be a solution. I am once again so grateful that I found this forum and HereKittyKitty, your post does have a point, as Lionda says, and I too have been kept awake at night wondering if this has been the most costly mistake of our lives! I'll think of you when I'm making myself yet another cup of tea at 4 in the morning!
Best wishes to everyone,
bchapl
Thats odd even after 5 yrs we still have the 4am cuppa must be a habit by now!

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Feb 24th 2008 at 5:33 am.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twyntub
Bchapl, please download the following PDF from the Ayto web site:
http://www.ayto-hondondelasnieves.es.../PGOU/B1-4.pdf

Yes, there is a great deal of corruption around, unfortunately many of the expats live in blissful ignorance. The result is that it is often the people buying that exacerbate the problems!

The thing to remember is that it WILL be sorted in the end... we all have money invested here, and if people are prepared to work together these things will get sorted. The great thing about this forum is we can all help each other - and we will do!
From what I have seen and heard in the last five years of regular visits to Spain, I am inclined to agree. There are some horror stories but most things get sorted in the end.

I bought an apartment without a Habitation Certificate as my solicitor advised that it was just a formality and, in theory, it was. However, in the meantime, as always, some of the owners added winter gardens so that when the town hall eventually came to inspect, the apartments did not match the building plans. It took two and a half years to sort out.

We were on builders supply which didnt cause any problems but, knowing what I know now, if I went through the process again, I would buy a resale in an established area.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:59 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bchapl
I can't bring myself to tell him about the proposed urban plan just yet as his health may take a downturn if he knows. I'm attempting to find out as much information as I can before I tell him that his dream home may be in jeopardy... bchapl

...and I too have been kept awake at night wondering if this has been the most costly mistake of our lives!
This thread is causing worry (human nature I know) and will put off existing & potential buyers who find this forum. Word soon spreads - and I'm really unsure if this is a good idea raising it here with here-say, ill-informed opinion and worry!?!? - I still think that it will not be as bad as TT is making it sound but he is right that some co-ordination is needed to get people together and find the truth.

However, I know of no-one willing to take what is an immense role - I have little in the way of organisation skills /Spanish to tackle this. Plus I work full-time, I am not at Hondon/URB until April but will try to get over soon to see Carlos at the Council offices. I also asked our Rep' to put the lack of communications by the council of the March 3rd agenda (at the council).

I have looked over the PDF plans and it may as well be in Martian to me !!!!
Old Feb 25th 2008, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrapeEater
This thread is causing worry (human nature I know) and will put off existing & potential buyers who find this forum. Word soon spreads - and I'm really unsure if this is a good idea raising it here with here-say, ill-informed opinion and worry!?!?
Well, the plans have been published on the Ayuntamiento web site, just not in the same detail as available at the Ayto. It was in the Spanish newspapers two weeks ago, where it was announced as "unsustainable". The Mayor himself admitted to the plan to increase homes in the area from 1,000 to 11,500 in a newspaper article dated Februrary 8th. I have attached them below in case you missed them.

Where is the here-say and ill-informed opinion?

- I still think that it will not be as bad as TT is making it sound but he is right that some co-ordination is needed to get people together and find the truth.
Co-ordination is the big problem...

However, I know of no-one willing to take what is an immense role - I have little in the way of organisation skills /Spanish to tackle this. Plus I work full-time, I am not at Hondon/URB until April but will try to get over soon to see Carlos at the Council offices. I also asked our Rep' to put the lack of communications by the council of the March 3rd agenda (at the council).

I have looked over the PDF plans and it may as well be in Martian to me !!!!
No, they are just in Spanish... But you raise an important point that I hadn't thought of. With a third of the Hondon population non-Spanish and the majority of those English speaking, many try their best to speak Spanish but don't necessarily read it. I don't think it would be out of the question for everyone to have sight of a copy in English. Do you think this is something the Reps should be arranging?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
PGOU.pdf (513.5 KB, 260 views)
Old Feb 25th 2008, 1:33 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

....I have attached them below in case you missed them.
....Where is the here-say and ill-informed opinion?
...Co-ordination is the big problem...
....I don't think it would be out of the question for everyone to have sight of a copy in English. Do you think this is something the Reps should be arranging?
OK Thanks for the Doc - I appreciate your concerns and work.

As for here-say, ill-informed - I read the posts here and it's obvious to me that nearly everyone (you are the exception) is ill-informed - I certainly feel ill informed because I'm only getting info and making opinions from one interpreted source, second-hand news and documents that are very technical and in a foreign language. These posts are making people think negatively about their/our future, when in fact that may not be the case.

Co-ordination ?? A leaflet drop seems a good way (there is no database of emails/tel numbers) - but the URB now has Correos Post Boxes next to the Finca - Maybe a a poster there and in Nieves Post Office would cut time/printing down. However writing one may sound like a political manifesto - so be careful !!

At the last local elections, basically contenders/agents canvassed us in The Plaza, Market and Bars.

I think all Nieves residents should demand at least a summary of the plans in English - too big a job for all the plans. But I won't hold my breath! One of the docs on the Hondon Council website has a form for Allegation (Objections). Looks easy enough to fill-in (although if I fill one in in English will it be read?).

I have also sounded out 6 Urb people about this since last week and I'm hit with apathy, unconcerned and 'It'll never happen'. These people have been here a long while and have no confidence in the ability of the council to make such a big project happen if they cannot even get a 450 home Urb sorted !!!

Reps may raise this but their 'system' is still a fledgling process and has not made any successful actions, just noises and unfulfilled promises so far from Mani Mi Casa and the Council. (e.g. lighting, water, commercial area)
Old Feb 25th 2008, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Co-ordination ?? A leaflet drop seems a good way (there is no database of emails/tel numbers) - but the URB now has Correos Post Boxes next to the Finca - Maybe a a poster there and in Nieves Post Office would cut time/printing down. However writing one may sound like a political manifesto - so be careful !!
That's a good idea - whether a poster would translate into action I'm not sure, but it will be a good start. I think it would be good to find out what the Spanish are planning to do too... so I'll ask around.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 9:36 pm
Yorkshire and Hondon

GILBEY is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a good idea - whether a poster would translate into action I'm not sure, but it will be a good start. I think it would be good to find out what the Spanish are planning to do too... so I'll ask around.
Hi

I have been reading your posts with great interest and admit was concerned by the proposed plans. |I tend to agree with Grapeater that whilst we are right to be concerned, we should be careful about putting off prospective buyers.

We got our keys and spent our first night in our villa on Oasis over the half term break and it was wonderful.

Having always bought new properties we are used to living on building sites in England, without street lighting and poor water supply, plus mud and flooding!
It has also taken years for the council to adopt the road. We have a wonderful view over green belt land however there is always some plan or other which threatens to build on it because it is human nature that where there is something good, others want a piece of it. Luckily nothing ever comes of it.

The water pressure was good at the villa and whilst I admit, the power kept tripping off every so often due to all the heaters I had on plus my hair straighteners it wasn't too bad!

Comments have been made about the lack of street lights and Oasis like a ghost town but who needs street lights with stars like that? Whilst it may appear like a ghost town it certainly isn't as we found lots of lovely people, especially the ones who noticed our tyre was flat and stopped us driving away then loaned us their hydraulic jack thingy!

We bought at Hondon because of the views and don't have a problem with expansion if it provides more for the younger generation however totally agree that it shouldn't be at the expense of other peoples land.

Looking at the plan it seems the new build is to be on the right of the Urb as you drive in and then higher up on the other side of the road towards Frailes.

If Bchapl's plot is opposite Oasis she may be ok but it does it's all Spanish to me!

I guess what I am trying to say is that despite all the worries about Habitation Certs and Urban plans and falling property prices I refuse to loose sight of the positives of buying in Spain as it is a beautiful country. We almost bought in Turkey for much cheaper prices with sea views but we wanted a second home, not a summer home. Flights to Turkey are long and expensive and I have no doubt eventually build will outgrow demand there as well pretty soon. It must say something about Oasis if all but 7 plots are now sold as nearer the coast there are hundreds for sale.

No amount of building will take away the views of the mountains and it would take an awful lot of building to use up all the farm land in Hondon valley. And from the sounds of it we have already got a little community going just from this forum! Having said that I appreciate we all want to experience real Spain, not a Costa ghetto.

I'm glad I bought in Hondon and whilst you can count me in for any support to combat ridiculous, unfair plans I feel we should remain positive and not let this spoil our dreams. We all seem to be here for the long haul, not just to make a quick buck and I am sure things will work out ok in the end.

We are over in 3 weeks for a fortnight so feel free to Pm me with dates of any meetings TT.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

HereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really nice

Originally Posted by GILBEY
Hi

I have been reading your posts with great interest and admit was concerned by the proposed plans. |I tend to agree with Grapeater that whilst we are right to be concerned, we should be careful about putting off prospective buyers.

We got our keys and spent our first night in our villa on Oasis over the half term break and it was wonderful.

Having always bought new properties we are used to living on building sites in England, without street lighting and poor water supply, plus mud and flooding!
It has also taken years for the council to adopt the road. We have a wonderful view over green belt land however there is always some plan or other which threatens to build on it because it is human nature that where there is something good, others want a piece of it. Luckily nothing ever comes of it.

The water pressure was good at the villa and whilst I admit, the power kept tripping off every so often due to all the heaters I had on plus my hair straighteners it wasn't too bad!

Comments have been made about the lack of street lights and Oasis like a ghost town but who needs street lights with stars like that? Whilst it may appear like a ghost town it certainly isn't as we found lots of lovely people, especially the ones who noticed our tyre was flat and stopped us driving away then loaned us their hydraulic jack thingy!

We bought at Hondon because of the views and don't have a problem with expansion if it provides more for the younger generation however totally agree that it shouldn't be at the expense of other peoples land.

Looking at the plan it seems the new build is to be on the right of the Urb as you drive in and then higher up on the other side of the road towards Frailes.

If Bchapl's plot is opposite Oasis she may be ok but it does it's all Spanish to me!

I guess what I am trying to say is that despite all the worries about Habitation Certs and Urban plans and falling property prices I refuse to loose sight of the positives of buying in Spain as it is a beautiful country. We almost bought in Turkey for much cheaper prices with sea views but we wanted a second home, not a summer home. Flights to Turkey are long and expensive and I have no doubt eventually build will outgrow demand there as well pretty soon. It must say something about Oasis if all but 7 plots are now sold as nearer the coast there are hundreds for sale.

No amount of building will take away the views of the mountains and it would take an awful lot of building to use up all the farm land in Hondon valley. And from the sounds of it we have already got a little community going just from this forum! Having said that I appreciate we all want to experience real Spain, not a Costa ghetto.

I'm glad I bought in Hondon and whilst you can count me in for any support to combat ridiculous, unfair plans I feel we should remain positive and not let this spoil our dreams. We all seem to be here for the long haul, not just to make a quick buck and I am sure things will work out ok in the end.

We are over in 3 weeks for a fortnight so feel free to Pm me with dates of any meetings TT.
Thankyou GILBEY for an uplifting post!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:13 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

Originally Posted by HereKittyKitty
Thankyou GILBEY for an uplifting post!
Me too ! Perspective is a good thing !!

I will say that yesterday I received an email from a fellow "Hondonian" - which was copied into a group of others, who had copied from others and so on. The email had gone around to anyone from Oasis/Montanosa who had an email address - it was a Word Doc attached verbatim copy of this thread !!!!

And of course many people are talking about this now and indeed panicking and may be spreading the negative word and I believe because of the way the this has been raised is now causing undue worry and general bad vibes. I'm not happy about that and it shows an irresponsible way to raise/discuss things - as I said my earlier post word soon spreads. But here-say and ill-informed can be a dangerous mix.

The one good thing was a chap here is happy to 'lead' some form of help group - not sure how !!!

If it sparks reaction and ownership I hope it is in a fact-finding, positive and co-ordinated way and not 'I'm selling up' or marching to the townhall in anger type stuff !!!

Perspective is a good thing !!!!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

We’ve already been to the Town Hall to lodge our objections last week. That’s all we can do. The grounds on which we have objected are technical ones including the water supply, environmental grounds, and the lack of commitment to social housing guarantees. House prices, I’m afraid, are not a sufficient justification for denouncing the plan.

This thread was opened to highlight the urban plan, and to highlight the loss of land that people are about to suffer. I understand that residents of Mi Casa / Oasis are worried about the negatve impact on house prices, but to be fair this is already being covered by plenty of other threads on the forum at the moment. This urban plan affects many other people - and it is these people that need our help and support.

I have asked for this thread to be closed.