Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Historic moment: EU Referendum

Historic moment: EU Referendum

Old Jul 2nd 2016, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Historic moment: EU Referendum

Originally Posted by retireteed
Truly I am flabbergasted by the number of immigrants on this site who vote against immigratrion.

The arrogance and imperial small mindedness!

How dare you. How dare you call yourself an expat and live in a foreign country while closing the borders to others.

Go home! Sell your houses in the sun and go back. If you don't believe in free movement, if you believe in keeping your culture pure, with all that that entails, then head back home, hypocrits.

I'll be staying here thanks.
Who voted against immigration??
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 5:01 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Who voted against immigration??
Apparently, a fairly large percentage of those who voted leave.

I was watching Amanpour interviewing Daniel Hannon (who I do respect by the way). When the subject of the vote being largely made on the basis of immigration comes up, she plays segments of what many British voters say they voted for.

It's rather shocking the stuff they say, and in some cases completely nonsensical.

Have a look

Old Jul 2nd 2016, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Palmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas

It's rather shocking the stuff they say, and in some cases completely nonsensical.

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter". Winston Churchill
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I watched the first 2 minutes and was disgusted that the interviewer would not let the person being interviewed explain his points without her interrupting, so I gave up. At that stage it was also clear that she was pushing the immigration scenario beyond belief and regardless of anything else and that was her main aim.

Even Cameron his blaming immigration that he failed to get control of.
David Cameron told European leaders he lost the EU referendum because they failed to address public concerns over immigration

Yes some people took immigration into account before voting but it applied to both the Remain and Leave voters and each weighed up their concerns over this and other issues but I doubt very much if it was the only concern of most voters.

On the beeb this morning there were a number of interviews with people who had immigrated into the UK over a number of years and they all showed concern over immigration, but of course one can display any emotion one cares to on TV by editing content.

Meanwhile we have thousands marching against democracy in London

Old Jul 2nd 2016, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was hoping that retireteed would explain his / her post.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Fredbargate;11991866

.[/QUOTE]

Not sure it is against democracy yes leave got a small majority but it still left a huge number not happy. So long as the march is legal and law abiding I have no issue,
people are allowed to express their displeasure at the result and especially given some of the backtracking and admissions of misleading the public. Do you think had the result gone the other way there would have been no protests? We are we are the politicians must get themselves sorted out now and get on with the task in hand. Hopefully they will and we can then see what happens.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bobd22
Not sure it is against democracy yes leave got a small majority but it still left a huge number not happy. So long as the march is legal and law abiding I have no issue,
people are allowed to express their displeasure at the result and especially given some of the backtracking and admissions of misleading the public. Do you think had the result gone the other way there would have been no protests? We are we are the politicians must get themselves sorted out now and get on with the task in hand. Hopefully they will and we can then see what happens.
So demanding a second referendum is an acceptance of democracy ?
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 7:50 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I watched the first 2 minutes and was disgusted that the interviewer would not let the person being interviewed explain his points without her interrupting, so I gave up. At that stage it was also clear that she was pushing the immigration scenario beyond belief and regardless of anything else and that was her main aim.

Even Cameron his blaming immigration that he failed to get control of.
David Cameron told European leaders he lost the EU referendum because they failed to address public concerns over immigration

Yes some people took immigration into account before voting but it applied to both the Remain and Leave voters and each weighed up their concerns over this and other issues but I doubt very much if it was the only concern of most voters.

On the beeb this morning there were a number of interviews with people who had immigrated into the UK over a number of years and they all showed concern over immigration, but of course one can display any emotion one cares to on TV by editing content.

I agree she was pushy. And although I disagree with Hannon on some fundamental points, I have followed him over the years and found him to be one of the most levelheaded eurosceptics around. And likely he really didn't say any of the things she was accusing him of.

In fact, Hannon should have been at the forefront of the campaign, not the establishment politicians. Although he's probably a little too intelligent for the majority of the leave target audience, so perhaps they were better off keeping him out of the limelight.

But c'mon. Virtually all of the leave campaigners, particularly Farage, leveraged immigration to the maximum extent they could get away with. Farage went completely over the top.

And the whole leave campaign is now credited with narrowing it all down to immigration, and fueling anti-foreigner sentiment, and effectively setting the tone of "getting rid of the foreigners", even if that really wasn't the intent. Although nobody on the leave side argued about the support it gave them.

And worse, British immigration really isn't all that bad, one of the world's lowest. I can't help but suspect it's all just a cover for another agenda.

But lastly, what I wanted people to see is the ridiculousness of what voters said they'd voted for. This is no less than an indictment of how the leave campaign was conducted. Shameful.

Last edited by amideislas; Jul 2nd 2016 at 8:05 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by amideislas
I agree she was pushy. And although I disagree with Hannon on some fundamental points, I have followed him over the years and found him to be one of the most levelheaded eurosceptics around. And likely he really didn't say any of the things she was accusing him of.

In fact, Hannon should have been at the forefront of the campaign, not the establishment politicians. Although he's probably a little too intelligent for the majority of the leave target audience, so perhaps they were better off keeping him out of the limelight.

But c'mon. Virtually all of the leave campaigners, particularly Farage, leveraged immigration to the maximum extent they could get away with. Farage went completely over the top.

And the whole leave campaign is now credited with narrowing it all down to immigration, and fueling anti-foreigner sentiment, and effectively setting the tone of "getting rid of the foreigners", even if that really wasn't the intent. Although nobody on the leave side argued about the support it gave them.

And worse, British immigration really isn't all that bad, one of the world's lowest. I can't help but suspect it's all just a cover for another agenda.
By the remainers

Even on this forum the most prolific poster for the remainers has mentioned immigration more times than anybody else, 980 times to be exact.

Makes one wonder if in fact he is a closet brexiter or just a closet racist?
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 8:20 pm
Banned

By the remainers

Even on this forum the most prolific poster for the remainers has mentioned immigration more times than anybody else, 980 times to be exact.

Makes one wonder if in fact he is a closet brexiter or just a closet racist?
Fred, really... Its not just remainers, it's just a fact. The leave side is now trying to distance themselves from it like the plague, but that's damn tricky after the campaign that was waged. Voters have short memories, but not that short.

I am well aware of who you are referring to, and I think you know my views on that.

He's actually quite intelligent, he just doesn't use it very well. In fact, he's completely destroyed all credibility. But that's his own fault.

Last edited by amideislas; Jul 2nd 2016 at 8:24 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 11:10 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

You can bleat and cry in your coffee till the cows come home Ami.

The Leave immigration campaign was about numbers swamping our resources and the right to control who we allow in,....Nothing else !

Never was it anything else no matter how hard you try to twist it or insinuate otherwise.
You have not even posted one single shred of evidence to support your wild unsubstantiated allegations, yet on and on you go and it's not difficult to see how all of your outrage and frothing at the mouth is directed at one single person who you obviously hate with a vengeance, which is certainly not the way to decide such a major issue.

In any event immigration wasn't even the main issues according to polls conducted since the referendum.

Decent values like freedom, independence and democracy came out top of the list, but you're obviously not interested in those.

Cameron and co played on the money greed factor right till the very end,even trying to put the frighteners on the old folk, blissfully unaware at the disgust and offence he was causing to those who put decent values at the top of their list and resented everything he stood for.
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect few people have a clue about the planning that goes into trying to manage the present and future resources that the country needs. I wonder what they think the census is taken for? If there is a baby boom this will have consequences for schools five years down the line. If there is a gravitation towards a particular area this will have consequences on housing, medical facilities, etc. What blows a hole in all this planning is when there is an unexpected and considerable influx that no-one has foreseen which is why a number of areas are under considerable pressure. Anyone who lives in the UK will have come across skilled and qualified people from within the EU who were recruited to come and work here and are very welcome. Where it all goes wrong is where unskilled (and uninvited) people have settled in an area and are consuming vast resources which means that the locals aren't receiving them. This is where tensions arise. This is not racism!
Old Jul 5th 2016, 8:36 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

A few things from the news over the past couple of days.

Merkel considering replacing Junckers as (one of the many) presidents for being too Federalist. As 'Queen of Europe' she has more chance to succeed, than we did when we tried to block his appointment. (Proving IMO that we really had little say and that reforming the mess of the EU from within, as the remainers wanted, was a dream. We couldnt do it even with the 'ace card' of a referendum coming, nor of getting a 'special deal' that Cameron wanted.).

Slovakia prez says that this Brexit referendum AND the 2 other previous constitution referenda in Holland/France, all non-supportive of the EU plans, show that they are too distant from the people and we need to have a new system, as the UK aren't the only country with deep issues.

I think we are seeing more chance of reform as a result of the Brexit vote. Than staying in and towing the line. But early days yet.

Italy going to break EU rules and support some of their biggest banks. We are good at rule-following, other countries are happy to skirt them when it pleases them.

Jon
Old Jul 5th 2016, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl

I think we are seeing more chance of reform as a result of the Brexit vote. Than staying in and towing the line. But early days yet.

Jon
If (meaningful) reform did happen do we have another referendum to attempt to overturn the leave vote?
Old Jul 5th 2016, 10:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
You can bleat and cry in your coffee till the cows come home Ami.

The Leave immigration campaign was about numbers swamping our resources and the right to control who we allow in,....Nothing else !

Never was it anything else no matter how hard you try to twist it or insinuate otherwise.
You have not even posted one single shred of evidence to support your wild unsubstantiated allegations, yet on and on you go and it's not difficult to see how all of your outrage and frothing at the mouth is directed at one single person who you obviously hate with a vengeance, which is certainly not the way to decide such a major issue.

In any event immigration wasn't even the main issues according to polls conducted since the referendum.

Decent values like freedom, independence and democracy came out top of the list, but you're obviously not interested in those.

Cameron and co played on the money greed factor right till the very end,even trying to put the frighteners on the old folk, blissfully unaware at the disgust and offence he was causing to those who put decent values at the top of their list and resented everything he stood for.
Why do your posts consistently sound like a front page of the express? Exaggeration, accusation, denial of the obvious...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.