Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Historic moment: EU Referendum

Historic moment: EU Referendum

Old Jun 26th 2016, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

retireteed has much to be proud ofretireteed has much to be proud ofretireteed has much to be proud ofretireteed has much to be proud ofretireteed has much to be proud ofretireteed has much to be proud ofretireteed has much to be proud ofretireteed has much to be proud ofretireteed has much to be proud ofretireteed has much to be proud ofretireteed has much to be proud of
Default Re: Historic moment: EU Referendum

"The British Way". "The Bulldog Spirit".

Do you truly equate this to the Second World War? Does it gird the loins to revel in past might, pomp and cicumstance?

The future of humanity, not just that of an island, depends on cooperation, commensense and the shared goal of a peaceful prosperous future.

All of which have been given an isolationist finger.

Is reform required? Of course! Is neoliberalism and austerity a failed project? Of course!

But that should never mean burning your bridges through a "bulldog spirit" which is rank nationalism by another name.

Rant over. Time to move on and deal with it. (And probably time to delete this thread as politics really has no place on the forum).

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
The British people gave the right answer last week, and did it the 'British way' ( i.e to stop following the 'EU way')

Under the 'EU way' (I think) we may need to debate a new referendum due to the petition rules.

Under the 'Irish way' the EU discussion dragged on with multiple referenda, till the elite got what they wanted, after being snubbed, taking enough people with them who lost initially.

Sorry to the 48% that lost this. I know how upset you are, and we will definitely have many troubles expected/unexpected. In the course of the next 3 years, or so, many Brexiters will have voter regret. ALREADY our government and opposition is facing a crisis, there is a threat to our United Kingdom. Already both sides are backtracking, and word smithing all the fear/benefits statements they made pre-referendum. Politicians!!

Note there's nothing to say that the EU system, will not have huge problems also. We have been lurching from many over the years, financial crisis, Greece, PIIGS, migration, ERM, etc etc. (Too many to mention) Remain is NOT calm sailing. How many times have we seen on TV, multiple meetings of finance ministers, leaders etc on the steps in Brussels making stressed comments after e.g all night (quote) 'Crisis meetings'!

Ibelieve that we need to get the broom out and clear the mess, and all this is part of a long clean-up process. I don't deny that we will have mess at the end, but I believe it won't be as bad as this one. Lesser of two 'evils'. I also believe there will be some pain on the way.

During pre-electioneering processes we get lots of blather about how wonderful life will be if you vote for them. The reality is that the choice is the the lesser of 'evils'. E.g voting goes 40% to A, 30% to B, 20% to C. The loser number 2 (B) will say 'you didn't get 60% of the vote!'. The winner says 'Ah yes, but you didn't get 70%!!'

But it was a historic decision, perhaps the biggest decision we have ever made, and we are sailing into new waters. But that's our history, we travelled from our small islands, through stormy uncharted waters, with lots of problems and dispute, dissension, debate and even infighting.

By eventually coming together we did pretty well. I hope in time we can put this highly emotional charged period of debate in context with the democratic decision made, and work together for the next chapter of our history.

Its the bulldog spirit....

...its the 'British way'.

I prefer it to the other 'ways'

Jon

Last edited by retireteed; Jun 26th 2016 at 1:22 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Kentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retireteed
My 20 something daughter has a brilliant plan for "solving politics".

Voting rights should only be for 19-59 year olds.

The rest are either too young or too senile.
But would those of us 59+ still be expected to pay tax, or being senile preclude us from that obligation?

Last edited by Rosemary; Jun 27th 2016 at 8:14 am. Reason: correcting quote
Old Jun 27th 2016, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Paulyred has a brilliant futurePaulyred has a brilliant futurePaulyred has a brilliant futurePaulyred has a brilliant futurePaulyred has a brilliant futurePaulyred has a brilliant futurePaulyred has a brilliant futurePaulyred has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Kentishladd
But would those of us 59+ still be expected to pay tax, or being senile preclude us from that obligation?
That's about right, our generation has destroyed the country for up and coming generations through greed and xenophobia. What do they have to look forward to? It's our generation that has ruined Their chances. Now they are destined to being little islanders as well, I have apologised to my 23 year old son for the idiotic generation which I unfortunately belong to.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paulyred
That's about right, our generation has destroyed the country for up and coming generations through greed and xenophobia. What do they have to look forward to? It's our generation that has ruined Their chances. Now they are destined to being little islanders as well, I have apologised to my 23 year old son for the idiotic generation which I unfortunately belong to.

As someone who is living in Spain, I would like to thank the British electorate for voting for Brexit and effectively becoming the canary in the coalmine

However, I sceptically expect no Brexit to take place at all. Boris and friends will go to Brussels and get some minor amendment to immigration law, and come back to Britain singing of success so no need to invoke article 50. That way his friends in the City will be happy
Old Jun 27th 2016, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Not as thoroughly as the Germans did for my generation
Old Jun 27th 2016, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

As someone who is living in Spain, I would like to thank the British electorate for voting for Brexit and effectively becoming the canary in the coalmine

However, I sceptically expect no Brexit to take place at all. Boris and friends will go to Brussels and get some minor amendment to immigration law, and come back to Britain singing of success so no need to invoke article 50. That way his friends in the City will be happy
That is what Boris and Gove would like to happen and was obvious from their rabbit in the headlights look on Friday morning when they won. However so far looks like EU isn't going to play their game! So what now errrr looking bit like there is no alternative plan?
Old Jun 27th 2016, 9:51 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retireteed
"The British Way". "The Bulldog Spirit".

Do you truly equate this to the Second World War? Does it gird the loins to revel in past might, pomp and cicumstance?

The future of humanity, not just that of an island, depends on cooperation, commensense and the shared goal of a peaceful prosperous future.

All of which have been given an isolationist finger.

Is reform required? Of course! Is neoliberalism and austerity a failed project? Of course!

But that should never mean burning your bridges through a "bulldog spirit" which is rank nationalism by another name.

Rant over. Time to move on and deal with it. (And probably time to delete this thread as politics really has no place on the forum).
To make it clear to you, I equate it to one of the biggest decisions we have ever made, if you watch the TV MANY people on both sides - and of many persuasions -would agree. If you don't then that's your private opinion.

There is no 'loin-girding' in my post, if you see it that way, I can't stop that. Also you say you are ranting, which you have the right to do, as you lost an historic vote for one of the biggest decisions we have ever made. This was a decision of the PEOPLE in a fair and democratic voting process. Your other comments of middle fingers etc are far more sensationalist than my comments, and I reject them.

We can create a new Britain outside the immense, beaurocratic and increasingly federal EU structure, and remain friends and trading partners. I believe we have the smarts to do that.

This thread must NOT be deleted, if someone censors this discussion of such importance in our history, then why have a discussion forum?

We don't agree on much, on this subject, but I respect your right to have and publish an opinion.

BTW this thread has NOT had the back-stabbing , trolling, etc that I've seen on MANY other threads of far less importance.

We can and will survive this, and come out better and stronger, after a period of 'mess-cleaning', and do it in the time-honoured and successful British way

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jun 27th 2016 at 9:53 am.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Palmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

+1

This article takes a different perspective, but, reading between the lines, draws a similar conclusion.

http://indy100.independent.co.uk/art...ue--bJhqBql0VZ
Old Jun 27th 2016, 10:38 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
The British people gave the right answer last week, and did it the 'British way' ( i.e to stop following the 'EU way')

Under the 'EU way' (I think) we may need to debate a new referendum due to the petition rules.

Under the 'Irish way' the EU discussion dragged on with multiple referenda, till the elite got what they wanted, after being snubbed, taking enough people with them who lost initially.

Sorry to the 48% that lost this. I know how upset you are, and we will definitely have many troubles expected/unexpected. In the course of the next 3 years, or so, many Brexiters will have voter regret. ALREADY our government and opposition is facing a crisis, there is a threat to our United Kingdom. Already both sides are backtracking, and word smithing all the fear/benefits statements they made pre-referendum. Politicians!!

Note there's nothing to say that the EU system, will not have huge problems also. We have been lurching from many over the years, financial crisis, Greece, PIIGS, migration, ERM, etc etc. (Too many to mention) Remain is NOT calm sailing. How many times have we seen on TV, multiple meetings of finance ministers, leaders etc on the steps in Brussels making stressed comments after e.g all night (quote) 'Crisis meetings'!

Ibelieve that we need to get the broom out and clear the mess, and all this is part of a long clean-up process. I don't deny that we will have mess at the end, but I believe it won't be as bad as this one. Lesser of two 'evils'. I also believe there will be some pain on the way.

During pre-electioneering processes we get lots of blather about how wonderful life will be if you vote for them. The reality is that the choice is the the lesser of 'evils'. E.g voting goes 40% to A, 30% to B, 20% to C. The loser number 2 (B) will say 'you didn't get 60% of the vote!'. The winner says 'Ah yes, but you didn't get 70%!!'

But it was a historic decision, perhaps the biggest decision we have ever made, and we are sailing into new waters. But that's our history, we travelled from our small islands, through stormy uncharted waters, with lots of problems and dispute, dissension, debate and even infighting.

By eventually coming together we did pretty well. I hope in time we can put this highly emotional charged period of debate in context with the democratic decision made, and work together for the next chapter of our history.

Its the bulldog spirit....

...its the 'British way'.

I prefer it to the other 'ways'

Jon
Surely the Irish way was the EU way.
As Junckers said, we will keep going back and asking the question till we get the answer we want.

I see Osborne has emerged from his bunker and said there will not be an emergency budget as he previously threatened, surprise,surprise.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 10:54 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

What's everybody all worked up about?

FTSE 100 surrenders £74bn in two days, pound slides and banking stocks plunge in Brexit aftermath

Trading halted on 10 stocks amid Brexit-inspired volatility

This morning trading in 10 stocks on the FTSE 100 and FTSE 250 were temporarily halted due to volatility.
When stocks move by more than 8% from their opening price an automatic circuit breaker kicks in, stocks are suspended and they enter a temporary auction period for five minutes.

Pound plunges past Friday's lows to 31-year low of $1.3221

Sell-off intensifies across FX markets, the pound is now down 3.3% today.
It has now plunged past Friday's lows to 31-year low of $1.3221

Old Jun 27th 2016, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

About 200billion $ wiped off UK value moving it down from 5th rate to 6th rate global economy. Interestingly this would've paid 24 years of EU contributions!
Old Jun 27th 2016, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Paulyred has a brilliant futurePaulyred has a brilliant futurePaulyred has a brilliant futurePaulyred has a brilliant futurePaulyred has a brilliant futurePaulyred has a brilliant futurePaulyred has a brilliant futurePaulyred has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Not as thoroughly as the Germans did for my generation
Different time different reasons but thank you for all your sacrifices.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Only 36% of young fit and healthy voters in the 18-24 managed to vote.

Yet 83% of the over 55's managed to drag their arthritic, pox-ridden frames, down to the polling office.

If the young had taken the responsibility to vote the referendum may well have gone the way of remain.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olivefarmer
Only 36% of young fit and healthy voters in the 18-24 managed to vote. http://images.omegaowners.com/forum/.../undecided.gif

Yet 83% of the over 55's managed to drag their arthritic, pox-ridden frames, down to the polling office.

If the young had taken the responsibility to vote the referendum may well have gone the way of remain.
Maybe they will turn out for the rerun. ROFL
Old Jun 27th 2016, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

The reason that the government is acting like a rabbit in the headlights is because the result was unexpected. But not just unexpected, actually totally unbelievably unexpected, almost in an impossibly unexpected way.

Why?

Because the result was rigged.

How can it have been rigged, the leave campaign won?

Can anyone honestly believe that the UK government, with all its powers and secret services and GCHQ and MI6 would have allowed an honest result to be so close?

48/52? Get real folks!

They rigged the referendum but they seriously underestimated the number of leave votes.
The result should have been more like 45/55 to remain but the polls were way out in their estimations and consequently, the additional 5-10 percent vote-stuffing just wasn't enough to swing it.
That's the reason why the government are running around like headless chickens. They just hadn't considered that leave would win. It wasn't in their calculations at all. This result wasn't planned for. it wasn't supposed to be this way.

Cameron had to fall on his sword, Osborne went into hiding for three days, they just don't know what to do.

Call me a conspiracy theorist but when you look at it like this, you know it makes sense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.