Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

High Interest Savings Account Opened in UK

High Interest Savings Account Opened in UK

Old Apr 17th 2024, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: High Interest Savings Account Opened in UK

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
NS&I allows non residents accounts but UK based banks won't so you will have to use the off-shore ones. People used to maintain there UK savings accounts by not notifying the bank of their address change- but now banks will send you a form requiring you to update your details and false information can lead to prosecution if proven.
The OP hasn’t left the UK yet so they’re still able to open UK accounts as a UK resident.
And not all UK-based banks insist on closing any savings accounts ​​​​​if the person subsequently moves abroad.
For example, Nationwide.
So the OP needs to contact lots of banks individually (or check their T&C online) to see which ones will let them keep savings accounts AFTER they move to Spain.
The important thing is to open the accounts BEFORE the move abroad.
I wish I’d done this myself as now that we’re already abroad, our savings options are very limited. We have NS&I accounts and are very happy with them but the options that currently pay the most will not be of interest to the OP because they involve locking your money away for 3 years (British Savings Bonds).

Last edited by Rosemary; Apr 17th 2024 at 7:10 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2024, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
The OP hasn’t left the UK yet so they’re still able to open UK accounts as a UK resident.
And not all UK-based banks insist on closing any savings accounts ​​​​​if the person subsequently moves abroad.
For example, Nationwide.
So the OP needs to contact lots of banks individually (or check their T&C online) to see which ones will let them keep savings accounts AFTER they move to Spain.
I wish I’d done this myself as now that we’re already abroad, our savings options are very limited. We have NS&I accounts and are very happy with them but the options that currently pay the most will not be of interest to the OP because they involve locking your money away for 3 years (British Savings Bonds).
Yes they can open UK bank accounts now but as soon as you move you need to notify them as it is a criminal act if you fail to do so- plus they will send you a FSC form to confirm your details. My son opened a UK HSBC child's bank account and to do so you are required to enter information regarding things like not just address but days spent in UK and various things all of which you would need to lie about to try and keep your UK savings account. So if you are no longer a UK resident you cannot hold a UK based savings account - only a current account ( HSBC) or NS&I. Alternatively go to a non UK based international bank and take your chances. Remember what happened in Iceland when they had their bank crash - lots of people lost money despite there supposedly being a protection scheme.
Old Apr 17th 2024, 8:18 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they can open UK bank accounts now but as soon as you move you need to notify them as it is a criminal act if you fail to do so- plus they will send you a FSC form to confirm your details. My son opened a UK HSBC child's bank account and to do so you are required to enter information regarding things like not just address but days spent in UK and various things all of which you would need to lie about to try and keep your UK savings account. So if you are no longer a UK resident you cannot hold a UK based savings account - only a current account ( HSBC) or NS&I. Alternatively go to a non UK based international bank and take your chances. Remember what happened in Iceland when they had their bank crash - lots of people lost money despite there supposedly being a protection scheme.
Sorry, but this is complete nonsense (IME)

I have many UK savings accounts all opened before moving to Spain. They have all been informed of my tax status, foreign address etc. and all are happy with the situation. No one has asked how many days in./out of UK.

by-the-way, I am one of those who lost thousands in Iceland!
Old Apr 17th 2024, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Sorry, but this is complete nonsense (IME)

I have many UK savings accounts all opened before moving to Spain. They have all been informed of my tax status, foreign address etc. and all are happy with the situation. No one has asked how many days in./out of UK.

by-the-way, I am one of those who lost thousands in Iceland!
Which UK based High interest Saving Accounts allow you to keep them after you become a non resident? HSBC allow me a current account but closed my saving account. When I did an online account for my son it would not work without a UK post code. I phoned them to ask why not as they advertise that the account is open to Brits in EU. Eventually we had to go to a branch in UK and fill out all the forms one which is the FCS which requires your home address and then if it is non UK address you need to complete lots of fields relating to where you pay tax and number of days in UK etc just like the tax declaration plus everything needs to be checked. It also warms you that any false information can result in prosecution. So it is not non sense. And it wasn't just HSBC who did this Virgin also sent me a form and closedy ISA.
​​​
​​​
Old Apr 17th 2024, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Barclays are chumps, I remember you mentioning that they were going to pull the plug and I couldn't believe it. This is the first time across many continents that I have seen a bank ditch a customer simply because someone is currently staying overseas. Especially since you are a citizen so this makes completely no sense as you could head back at any time and might still have interests in the UK (properties, etc.) that require the use of a local account. UK banking at its finest...

Luckily not all major highstreet banks are like Barclays.
Yes it did cause me some concern at the time as we do retain a UK property which is rented out. I need a UK account to deal with the rental and any repairs etc. HSBC current account sorted that issue out for me and I have been happily using that account for a couple of years now without any issues. I recently opened a Revolout basic free account for transferring money to Spain . It actually gives me a UK account and Spanish account. The UK one doesn't have the government protection but to be honest for what I use it for there is never that much in UK one . The Spanish one does have the EU protection of 100000 euros as Revolut are Lithuanian registered. That works really well so we'll that I don't bother moving it into my regular Spanish account, I just leave it in the revolut Spanish account and use my phone to pay. Also should I ever have an issue like I had with Barclays I can use it as a standard current account for my pensions house etc. I get good exchange rates with them, can set a rate at which I wish to make the exchange and transfer literally between English and Spanish account in seconds. To date I am very happy with it and it was very easy to set up online. My savings are now all done via NS&I. All being well I will never have to worry about likes of Barclays pulling the plug again🤞
Old Apr 17th 2024, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Helen1964
For example, Nationwide.
Nationwide is only for UK residents on all Savings accounts so once you move you can't use account.
Old Apr 17th 2024, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

false information can lead to prosecution if proven.
Prosecution by whom exactly?
Old Apr 18th 2024, 12:50 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Nationwide is only for UK residents on all Savings accounts so once you move you can't use account.
Not true.

I have a Nationwide savings account and Nationwide are fully aware I live outside the UK.
Old Apr 18th 2024, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Not true.

I have a Nationwide savings account and Nationwide are fully aware I live outside the UK.
This is what Nationwide says:
Common questions about Brexit | Nationwide
'

If you’re living permanently in an EU or EEA country

Unless we let you know otherwise, you can continue to operate your accounts. But there are some limitations:
  • We cannot open a new account for you.
  • We cannot agree a new or higher limit on your arranged overdraft or credit card.
  • We cannot offer ongoing service or advice for any investments you hold with us.
  • You can continue to pay your mortgage and personal loans, but we won’t be able to increase the amount or the term of borrowing.
Old Apr 18th 2024, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Nonsense. We have kept our current account with the Nationwide and we could certainly also have kept our savings accounts (we emptied them to buy a house and foolishly closed them).
We notified the Nationwide when we moved abroad. No problem.
There’s no blanket rule about this. Different banks and building societies have different policies.
Old Apr 18th 2024, 3:44 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

It also depends on which EU country you're resident as to whether or not they offer products and what kind of products they offer. And this is per bank because each bank applies for licences for certain kinds of products where they think it'll be most worth their while.
Old Apr 18th 2024, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DLC
It also depends on which EU country you're resident as to whether or not they offer products and what kind of products they offer. And this is per bank because each bank applies for licences for certain kinds of products where they think it'll be most worth their while.
Very good point.
Old Apr 19th 2024, 3:19 am
Just Joined

TheRainInSpain is an unknown quantity at this point

"Criminal Act"
"prosecution"

You forgot to mention "jail".
Spanish and UK jails are overflowing with people who didn't update their bank with personal details.

This forum does make me chuckle sometimes.
Old Apr 19th 2024, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to keep your savings in sterling or another currency it may be worth looking at what Gibraltar has to offer.
Old May 2nd 2024, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

Algorfa1950 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am applying for the Skipton Savings Account but I notice you have to have a professional person to confirm your I.D. (copy passport photo) as part of the application process. We don't know anyone to ask ! Our GP isn't interested, we don't know any police officers, our solicitor is not interested, so who do we ask ? We know no one of an official capacity !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.