Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

High Interest Savings Account Opened in UK

High Interest Savings Account Opened in UK

Old Apr 16th 2024, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Algorfa1950 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default High Interest Savings Account Opened in UK

We need to move our savings account in the UK which is due to change to a low interest rate in June, but are due to move to Spain in the next couple of months permanently. I notice that some savings with high interest accounts can only be opened in the UK and I know some banks don't like you operating your bank account from Europe and may even close them. Is there any that people know of where we can open an online instant high interest savings account in the UK and keep it when we are in Spain and make withdrawals from there (online) of course also whilst in Spain.
Old Apr 16th 2024, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: High Interest Savings Account Opened in UK

NS&I allows non residents accounts but UK based banks won't so you will have to use the off-shore ones. People used to maintain there UK savings accounts by not notifying the bank of their address change- but now banks will send you a form requiring you to update your details and false information can lead to prosecution if proven.
Old Apr 16th 2024, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

PoloMarco is an unknown quantity at this point

Several of the non high street savings had in T&C the account must close if you leave UK.

Depends what you mean by high interest. MSE easy access table shows the best about 5% in UK.

Spanish N26 account has savings option paying 2.26% which isn’t comparable to UK.

Skipton International (Guernsey) offers 4.5% minimum £10k.

Last edited by PoloMarco; Apr 16th 2024 at 11:54 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2024, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PoloMarco
Several of the non high street savings had in T&C the account must close if you leave UK.

Depends what you mean by high interest. MSE easy access table shows the best about 5% in UK.

Spanish N26 account has savings option paying 2.26% which isn’t comparable to UK.

Skipton International (Guernsey) offers 4.5% minimum £10k.
Was looking at the Skipton International one but the sterling account is for Corporate customers and private investors.

I need one that is open to the general public.
Old Apr 17th 2024, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Algorfa1950
We need to move our savings account in the UK which is due to change to a low interest rate in June, but are due to move to Spain in the next couple of months permanently. I notice that some savings with high interest accounts can only be opened in the UK and I know some banks don't like you operating your bank account from Europe and may even close them. Is there any that people know of where we can open an online instant high interest savings account in the UK and keep it when we are in Spain and make withdrawals from there (online) of course also whilst in Spain.
Wise Online have an interest account paying 4.66% at the moment. I have been with Wise Online for many years.

https://wise.com/gb/interest/

Steve

Last edited by tebo53; Apr 17th 2024 at 2:13 am. Reason: Extra information
Old Apr 17th 2024, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tebo53
Wise Online have an interest account paying 4.66% at the moment. I have been with Wise Online for many years.

www.wise.com

Steve
I have got an account with Wise but didn't realise they do a savings account. Will have to look into that. Is it a fixed rate account or easy access? Do you get the same £85k protection ?
Old Apr 17th 2024, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

I have got an account with Wise but didn't realise they do a savings account. Will have to look into that. Is it a fixed rate account or easy access? Do you get the same £85k protection ?
Look here:

https://wise.com/gb/interest/

Steve
Old Apr 17th 2024, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

Was looking at the Skipton International one but the sterling account is for Corporate customers and private investors.

I need one that is open to the general public.

https://www.skiptoninternational.com...counts/access/

“This offshore account is available to private investors only.” - you are a private investor!

“Sterling accounts for corporate customers, trust companies and pension schemes are available.” - if you’re a corporate customer then look in the business page for a Sterling account

Wise have a balance cashback option paying 3.31% on GBP

The Wise option mentioned above is marketed as “interest”. It’s not interest in the traditional bank account sense rather
“investing in a fund that holds government-guaranteed assets.”
“Capital at risk”

Old Apr 17th 2024, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

“This offshore account is available to private investors only.” - you are a private investor!

“Sterling accounts for corporate customers, trust companies and pension schemes are available.” - if you’re a corporate customer then look in the business page for a Sterling account

The Wise option mentioned above is marketed as “interest”. It’s not interest in the traditional bank account sense rather
“Capital at risk”
I don't really want anything that involves risk but just a simple 12 month interest based online savings account that has the £85k protection.

Old Apr 17th 2024, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a similar issue when Barclays told me they would close my current and savings account as not UK resident. I needed both types of account as we rent out a uk property so need to pay bills and have a pot to pay any repairs etc easily. I resolved it by getting an HSBC current account but they would not give me a savings account. I ended up getting an NS&I savings account as I have other accounts with them. The NS&I Direct Saver account currently is 3.65 percent interest which is variable. I find them to be ok as easy to add and withdraw when needed. Only thing is with NS&I they will allow expats to open accounts but you must have a UK Current account that they can transfer the money to for withdrawls

Last edited by bobd22; Apr 17th 2024 at 3:27 am.
Old Apr 17th 2024, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: High Interest Savings Account Opened in UK

“Capital at risk”
I think the Skipton Personal Access Account looks like a good bet and I presume that the £85k protection applies to International Accounts. I have contacted them to find out if it can be opened in joint names and they say yes, so will probably go for that one.

Thanks !
Old Apr 17th 2024, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

I think the Skipton Personal Access Account looks like a good bet and I presume that the £85k protection applies to International Accounts. I have contacted them to find out if it can be opened in joint names and they say yes, so will probably go for that one.

Thanks !
Can be in joint names.

But not £85k protection because it is not UK based as a Guernsey licenced bank which has its own banking deposit compensation scheme.

Note: Withdrawal transfers are not instantaneous and may take a couple of days
Old Apr 17th 2024, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

Can be in joint names.

But not £85k protection because it is not UK based as a Guernsey licenced bank which has its own banking deposit compensation scheme.

Note: Withdrawal transfers are not instantaneous and may take a couple of days
Well as long as your money is protected by compensation I guess that is the same isn't it ?
Old Apr 17th 2024, 8:09 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I had a similar issue when Barclays told me they would close my current and savings account as not UK resident.
I resolved it by getting an HSBC current account but they would not give me a savings account.
Barclays are chumps, I remember you mentioning that they were going to pull the plug and I couldn't believe it. This is the first time across many continents that I have seen a bank ditch a customer simply because someone is currently staying overseas. Especially since you are a citizen so this makes completely no sense as you could head back at any time and might still have interests in the UK (properties, etc.) that require the use of a local account. UK banking at its finest...

Luckily not all major highstreet banks are like Barclays.
Old Apr 17th 2024, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

If you want zero risk NS&I is best as it is UK government. Premium Bonds are 4.4% at moment and others around 3.6%
They are super easy to use as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.