Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Heatwave warning?

Heatwave warning?

Old Aug 11th 2010, 2:20 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heatwave warning?

Up here to the east of you, it's now 36c and only 17% humidity.

Using the Heat Index thingy that Lynnxa uses it should feel 2 degrees colder than that!

I wish!
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:29 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Up here to the east of you, it's now 36c and only 17% humidity.

Using the Heat Index thingy that Lynnxa uses it should feel 2 degrees colder than that!

I wish!
how can you tell?

I reckon once it gets much past 30 it's just HOT!!

& anything under 25 is COLD!!!
Old Aug 11th 2010, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with jojojojojo & JnK - I don't reckon this year's anything like as hot as last year, and also it's been much more hazy. OH blames the volcano. May be right!

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I was not contradicting you, more agreeing.
Although I wrongly thought you were indicatiing that temperatures were going to rise over the next few days.
I didn't think you were contradicting, and you were right. I heard a warning on M80 radio yesterday and OH heard the same in the bar this morning. Ain't misunderstandings over the ether a frustrating phenomenon! So it's a sorry from him and a sorry from me!.

Originally Posted by lynnxa
how can you tell? I reckon once it gets much past 30 it's just HOT!!
& anything under 25 is COLD!!!
I'd agree on the colder end... body thermometer changes over time once you've been here past about a year, I reckon. I shivered a couple of times during the past week, and had the duvet one night Don't agree about 30-plus being hot, though. 35 plus for me. And yes, humidity's draining. I recall 98 & 99% in Buenos Aires
Old Aug 11th 2010, 4:51 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

how can you tell?

The wind has now increased significantly to around 20mph from the west and the temperature has just gone over 38c (at 7pm) and the humidity is still only 17%.

It's OK in the pool but when you get out it's like stepping into a fan oven. It takes about 30 seconds to dry off!
Old Aug 11th 2010, 6:02 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
I'm with jojojojojo & JnK - I don't reckon this year's anything like as hot as last year, and also it's been much more hazy. OH blames the volcano. May be right!

I didn't think you were contradicting, and you were right. I heard a warning on M80 radio yesterday and OH heard the same in the bar this morning. Ain't misunderstandings over the ether a frustrating phenomenon! So it's a sorry from him and a sorry from me!.

I'd agree on the colder end... body thermometer changes over time once you've been here past about a year, I reckon. I shivered a couple of times during the past week, and had the duvet one night Don't agree about 30-plus being hot, though. 35 plus for me. And yes, humidity's draining. I recall 98 & 99% in Buenos Aires
exactly - it's the humidity that's the killer

The wind has now increased significantly to around 20mph from the west and the temperature has just gone over 38c (at 7pm) and the humidity is still only 17%.

It's OK in the pool but when you get out it's like stepping into a fan oven. It takes about 30 seconds to dry off!
I wish I could dry off!!!

no sooner than I step away from the fan or out of the aircon I start to wonder why I bothered showering again!

it's only about 30 here at the moment - but with 66% humidity it apparently feels like 32

now 32 isn't hot in the scheme of things -but it's just so sticky that it actually felt cooler in the bar with ceiling fans than sitting outside!
Old Aug 11th 2010, 6:09 pm

Don't worry Lynnxa

It looks like it might rain up your way tomorrow.

That might cool it down a tad but it won't do a lot for the humidity!
Old Aug 11th 2010, 6:31 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Don't worry Lynnxa

It looks like it might rain up your way tomorrow.

That might cool it down a tad but it won't do a lot for the humidity!
unfortunately it has the opposite effect

we had a major storm with flooded streets last night - this morning humidity was up to 88%

I was complaining to some Spanish friends & they painfully explained to me that rain+high temps/hot ground effectively = steam = higher humidity

logical when you think about it!

it was a bit cooler while it was actually raining though
Old Aug 11th 2010, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

we had a major storm with flooded streets last night - this morning humidity was up to 88%

I was complaining to some Spanish friends & they painfully explained to me that rain+high temps/hot ground effectively = steam = higher humidity

logical when you think about it!

it was a bit cooler while it was actually raining though
Oooh, will it be any cooler on my side of the mountain.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 7:15 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

43 C here yesterday, and it felt much the same today.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 9:04 pm

That's what I meant - it rains and the humidity goes up.

Result, lower temps but horrible heat index!

Enjoy!!
Old Aug 11th 2010, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

ive just done a 250km round trip from malaga towards sevilla and back.. the temp never went below 33 degrees in the car, and its 11,30 at night !
Old Aug 11th 2010, 10:08 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
ive just done a 250km round trip from malaga towards sevilla and back.. the temp never went below 33 degrees in the car, and its 11,30 at night !
Its certainly a hot one tonight!

Jo xx
Old Aug 12th 2010, 3:26 am
¿Dónde estoy?

That's what I meant - it rains and the humidity goes up.

Result, lower temps but horrible heat index!

Enjoy!!
thank you so much

I'm up at 5.30am cos we have 90% humidity - I hate using the aircon at night but I wish I had now

the fan just isn't enough
Old Aug 12th 2010, 4:30 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by montgomail
Oooh, will it be any cooler on my side of the mountain.
No..........

& probably at least as wet by Friday lunchtime

http://www.eltiempo.es/lluvia/
Attached Thumbnails Heatwave warning?-eltiempo_spain-rain-2010081314.gif  
Old Aug 12th 2010, 6:15 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

thank you so much

I'm up at 5.30am cos we have 90% humidity - I hate using the aircon at night but I wish I had now

the fan just isn't enough
Lynn, I'm gonna sound really stupid asking this, but what are the physical signs of high humidity??? I know when its hot, but not when its high humidity??? I know I "perspire" alot when its hot, but is that me or is it the moisture in the air???

Jo xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.