Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Healthiest Place to live in Spain

Healthiest Place to live in Spain

Old May 6th 2015, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthiest Place to live in Spain

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
....or drink wine morning, afternoon and evening as is the case with many Spanish, even if mostly but not all, in limited quantities.

In any event the life expectancy difference between the UK and Spain, as demonstrated on the chart Dave kindly posted, is actually less than one year, so I would have imagined that by now if there was even a grain of truth in the twenty extra years claimed regarding the Torrevieja region, it would be standing room only down there by now.
I wonder if the banks down there offer 50 year mortgages
Old May 6th 2015, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

....or drink wine morning, afternoon and evening as is the case with many Spanish, even if mostly but not all, in limited quantities.

In any event the life expectancy difference between the UK and Spain, as demonstrated on the chart Dave kindly posted, is actually less than one year, so I would have imagined that by now if there was even a grain of truth in the twenty extra years claimed regarding the Torrevieja region, it would be standing room only down there by now.
I've feeling that whoever originally posted the chart on the net might just be involved in property sales but brighter days must have a positive mental effect which in turn allegedly must reduce stress which if all the scientists keep telling us will be beneficial and blah blah blah!
Old May 6th 2015, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

wilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
even when you eat a full English every day.
Moses, only when on holiday...... anyway surely the salt aromas cancel out the cholesterol?!?!
Old May 7th 2015, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Swei is an unknown quantity at this point

It is best to live near the coast, fresh air,beautiful sky! We lived there 6 months and never got ill at all. Then we moved to a Place 30 minutes away from the beach, my little boy got ill a lot. Of course, he can get from other kids in the school. But he manages to learn Spanish in 6 months !
Old May 7th 2015, 11:26 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Spain is most polluted country in Europe - The Local

Spain, the Most Polluted Country in Europe !!!

...and for the previous poster, it all depends what part of the coast you refer to.
Most of the big towns and cities around the coast have a really thick layer of smog hanging over them most days which is easily visible from a distance.
Old May 8th 2015, 11:03 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez ........ It's not the country you live in, it's the lifestyle you adapt. It might well be nice and sunny in Spain but if you abuse your body with alcohol and shite food all year long and take no exercise it just doesnt make a difference at all!
Old May 8th 2015, 12:16 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Jeez ........ It's not the country you live in, it's the lifestyle you adapt. It might well be nice and sunny in Spain but if you abuse your body with alcohol and shite food all year long and take no exercise it just doesnt make a difference at all!
Of course exercise and diet are most important, I was simply pointing out that parts of Spain where a very high percentage of both locals and immigrants live are amongst the most polluted places in Europe and are not such healthy places to reside.

Even the Utopia that is Oviedo suffers from pollution according to CMan.
Old May 8th 2015, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course exercise and diet are most important, I was simply pointing out that parts of Spain where a very high percentage of both locals and immigrants live are amongst the most polluted places in Europe and are not such healthy places to reside.

And if you think about it, most Brits who retire in Spain then end up drinking more, smoking more, eating more, because it's cheaper. You can also walk as much as you like, but if you need a hip replacement, walking won't help
Old May 8th 2015, 12:55 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by Moses2013
And if you think about it, most Brits who retire in Spain then end up drinking more, smoking more, eating more, because it's cheaper. You can also walk as much as you like, but if you need a hip replacement, walking won't help
Many certainly do. A fair degree of self discipline is required to keep in shape, probably more so than back in the UK, but as you say that is even more difficult for anyone with mobility problems.
Old May 8th 2015, 2:07 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I wasnt having a dig at you, it's just a general thing

People are more likely to be healthier in Spain because it's more of an outdoor life. Walking more, cycling more etc etc. At this time of year I would be cycling around 60 - 70 miles a week in Spain. In the UK I've been out twice in the last month and before that nothing since November last year. I WAS healthier in Spain, but it was nothing to do with the air or the salt water plains .... it was making the effort to keep fit.

The diet helps as well, although in the UK I have kept up the same kind of diet that I did in Spain (albeit more expensive!)
Old May 8th 2015, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I wasnt having a dig at you, it's just a general thing

People are more likely to be healthier in Spain because it's more of an outdoor life. Walking more, cycling more etc etc. At this time of year I would be cycling around 60 - 70 miles a week in Spain. In the UK I've been out twice in the last month and before that nothing since November last year. I WAS healthier in Spain, but it was nothing to do with the air or the salt water plains .... it was making the effort to keep fit.

The diet helps as well, although in the UK I have kept up the same kind of diet that I did in Spain (albeit more expensive!)
Being retired is probably different, but most people I know who work in Spain have less time to do things. There's nothing stopping you cycling in the UK and there are plenty of other activities, like swimming, kayaking. If it's the weather stopping you cycling, you could invest in a decent rain and wind proof jacket. If it's still too cold for you, add some special glasses that make you think the sun is shining and a heated rain jacket instead. You'll be sweating like it was 50 degrees and if that's too much, the exercise bike for indoors will do to. At least then you won't miss your favourite TV programmes.
Old May 8th 2015, 2:22 pm
On the road again.

At this time of year I would be cycling around 60 - 70 miles a week in Spain.
Are you sure about that ?

It's 35c in the shade here near Valencia at the moment and forecast to get hotter over the next couple of days.

That's why I'm off back to the UK shortly so I can go out and exercise and do other outdoor activities in relative comfort any time of day.

Here I'm restricted to very early mornings or late evenings and even then it's too hot until sunset.
The rest of the time I'd virtually be a prisoner in my own house throughout the Summer, hardly what I call living.

Anyway if you can cycle 70 miles a week in 35 to 40 degrees, you have nothing but my greatest admiration.
Old May 8th 2015, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you sure about that ?

It's 35c in the shade here near Valencia at the moment and forecast to get hotter over the next couple of days.

That's why I'm off back to the UK shortly so I can go out and exercise and do other outdoor activities in relative comfort any time of day.

Here I'm restricted to very early mornings or late evenings and even then it's too hot until sunset.
The rest of the time I'd virtually be a prisoner in my own house throughout the Summer, hardly what I call living.

Anyway if you can cycle 70 miles a week in 35 to 40 degrees, you have nothing but my greatest admiration.
Got to agree in some ways the heat is more of an influence on how you live your life than the wind and rain in the UK.Years ago I met a Dutch couple who were returning home.When I asked why,he told me he was sick of wearing sunglasses.
Old May 8th 2015, 2:39 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by Daveinspain
Got to agree in some ways the heat is more of an influence on how you live your life than the wind and rain in the UK.Years ago I met a Dutch couple who were returning home.When I asked why,he told me he was sick of wearing sunglasses.
As a last resort you can always dress against the wind and rain and continue some outdoor activities at least.

Not a lot you can do about excessive heat other than stay indoors with the fans or aircon running.

Though on second thoughts you can maybe pedal up to the top of a mountain and freewheel back down to get cooled off.
Old May 8th 2015, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Have noticed there are more overweight young Spanish people about than ever before, is it a change of diet or less exercise?

One thing there are a lot of in Spain are places to swim if you are feeling at all hot, both the sea and the pools, also some nice fresh water reservoirs to swim in, very good all round exercise if too hot to trot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.