Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Healthiest Place to live in Spain

Healthiest Place to live in Spain

Old May 1st 2015, 12:19 am
Just Joined

MagicWriter2014 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Healthiest Place to live in Spain

Hi again, we are thinking of moving over to Spain to live ( have posted before with different questions), but now torn between trying the Costa Blanca and the Costa del Sol. Have heard that the Costa Blanca is supposed to be one of the healthiest areas to live in because of the salt lakes. Is this true as one of the reasons for moving over is to hopefully improve my health, have allergies, asthma, low thyroid and fibromyalgia. Nothing can be done about my thyroid, but hoping other complaints might improve. And yes, I realise we will have to pay for private health care initially and for prescriptions. Any opinions on whether one area would be healthier than the other? Thanks.
Old May 1st 2015, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthiest Place to live in Spain

Try before you buy - I mean wherever you decide, live there a year to see how your allergies fare with the various pollens. The worst allergies I ever had were in southern Spain and it was the olive trees, I think.

Last edited by rachelk; May 1st 2015 at 5:32 am.
Old May 1st 2015, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

I think any benefit of Spain over Britain will be realised in either of the locations. I really don't think the fact there are some salt lakes in CB are going to make a difference, unless you sit in one regularly, and even then I am not sure.

And people say the same about Murcia and it's salty waters.

Lots of sunshine and a good diet should do the job.
Old May 1st 2015, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Cats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant future

Talking with a friend some years ago who was thinking of moving over to be near the salt lakes, she suffers with asthma and found that too near the lakes made her feel worse, but another person we spoke to said he found it helped his asthma. So I would definitely say try before you buy - my friend did end up living in the Costa Blanca but just not too near the salt lakes.
I live in Andalucia, high in the Altiplano of Granada, here people can have problems with olive tree pollen and also pine tree pollen both of which there are a lot of.
Old May 1st 2015, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MagicWriter2014
Hi again, we are thinking of moving over to Spain to live ( have posted before with different questions), but now torn between trying the Costa Blanca and the Costa del Sol. Have heard that the Costa Blanca is supposed to be one of the healthiest areas to live in because of the salt lakes. Is this true as one of the reasons for moving over is to hopefully improve my health, have allergies, asthma, low thyroid and fibromyalgia. Nothing can be done about my thyroid, but hoping other complaints might improve. And yes, I realise we will have to pay for private health care initially and for prescriptions. Any opinions on whether one area would be healthier than the other? Thanks.
Doubt it's the healthiest area and depends on the individual and how you live. If you're close to a busy road or airport, you'll be breathing dirty air on a daily basis. You can eat healthy anywhere and you might even have more allergies in Spain. If you suffer from hay fever, it can get worse in Spain because you have different types of trees and the season is longer.
Old May 1st 2015, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Doubt it's the healthiest area and depends on the individual and how you live. If you're close to a busy road or airport, you'll be breathing dirty air on a daily basis. You can eat healthy anywhere and you might even have more allergies in Spain. If you suffer from hay fever, it can get worse in Spain because you have different types of trees and the season is longer.
Also re salt lakes remember mosquito's which may well be an additional source of a problem?
Old May 1st 2015, 12:18 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

All things considered I would consider the Western Canaries to be the healthiest place in Spain to live.
However as you have ruled that out as well as other interesting areas, I would give the Costa Blanca a slight edge over the Costa del Sol.
I've seen several claims that the Costa Almeria is the healthiest, but for me it is too arid and dusty as I would say is the Southern part of the Costa Blanca.
Further North towards Valencia and the Costa Azahara, the Costa Blanca is quite nice and much greener with far less dust in the air, though as far as allergies are concerned I don't think there are any areas where you're unlikely to have any problems at all.
Old May 1st 2015, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies, one reason I asked is that when watching shows like 'A Place in the Sun' they always mention the health benefits of the salt lakes, but have never mentioned mossies being there! Have always felt better re my allergies when on holiday in Spain, Turkey,Greece etc. Think I am worse over here as we are increasingly surrounded by fields of rape seed and live very close to a maltings which churn smoke particles into the air. I am hoping the more laid back lifestyle, warmer weather and hopefully fresher food (not this pre packaged stuff we tend to rely on here, green grocers are non existent where I live, you have to buy in supermarkets) will have some health benefits .
Old May 1st 2015, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

We would consider the Western Canaries if we could afford it, but we are going to be on a limited budget for a few years(until we become OAP's) so need to find somewhere cheaper to rent. In an ideal world we would not have to worry about finances!
Old May 1st 2015, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I am hoping the more laid back lifestyle, warmer weather and hopefully fresher food (not this pre packaged stuff we tend to rely on here, green grocers are non existent where I live, you have to buy in supermarkets) will have some health benefits .
In my 8 years in Spain, I havent really noticed a more laid back lifestyle in Spain compared to the UK

Although of couse if you are now retiring then your life style will become more laid back

Fruit and veg in the supermarkets is similar to the UK although yes most streets have a good greengrocer, butcher and fishmongers, although the meat in the South doesnt have a good reputation unless you pay big bucks

The only thing healthier about Spain compared to the UK for example, is that people walk a lot more (but only if you live in the cities) and they eat less processed cr*p, although that is changing as few in the younger generations know how to cook. My allergies are much worse here than in the UK
Old May 1st 2015, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies, one reason I asked is that when watching shows like 'A Place in the Sun' they always mention the health benefits of the salt lakes, but have never mentioned mossies being there! Have always felt better re my allergies when on holiday in Spain, Turkey,Greece etc. Think I am worse over here as we are increasingly surrounded by fields of rape seed and live very close to a maltings which churn smoke particles into the air. I am hoping the more laid back lifestyle, warmer weather and hopefully fresher food (not this pre packaged stuff we tend to rely on here, green grocers are non existent where I live, you have to buy in supermarkets) will have some health benefits .
The thing is that you can live just as healthy in the UK and don't have to eat unhealthy stuff. You can find the fresh food in the UK too, but many people just aren't bothered. A lot of people in Spain/Greece grow their own food, because they have to, while in the UK people do it as a hobby. A few years ago there were hardly any fast food chains in Spain and that's changing now, so more young people are eating unhealthy food. The air quality somewhere in Scotland will obviously be better than in London, just like the air quality somewhere in Asturias will be better than Madrid. If you're surrounded by fields in Spain, the allergies will be the same.

Last edited by Moses2013; May 1st 2015 at 1:16 pm.
Old May 1st 2015, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
In my 8 years in Spain, I havent really noticed a more laid back lifestyle in Spain compared to the UK

Although of couse if you are now retiring then your life style will become more laid back

Fruit and veg in the supermarkets is similar to the UK although yes most streets have a good greengrocer, butcher and fishmongers, although the meat in the South doesnt have a good reputation unless you pay big bucks

The only thing healthier about Spain compared to the UK for example, is that people walk a lot more (but only if you live in the cities) and they eat less processed cr*p, although that is changing as few in the younger generations know how to cook. My allergies are much worse here than in the UK
Well we live in a very rural area and the men walk in a morning and the women in the evening. Lots and lots of walking. If you go to the doctor the first question is "Are you walking".

I would second the tree pollen allergy. I never suffered from hayfever till three years ago. Last year was so bad that I now leave the country for a few weeks.

However depending on your lifestyle choices, Spain has got to be a better place to live.
Old May 1st 2015, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
The air quality somewhere in Scotland will obviously be better than in London, just like the air quality somewhere in Asturias will be better than Madrid. If you're surrounded by fields in Spain, the allergies will be the same.
Actually the air quality on Asturias in the traingle of Oviedo, Gijon and Aviles is one of the worst in the country. 3 medium size cities close together and lot of old industry bellowing out fumes

I love living in Spain, but coming to Spain to "get healthy" is a ridiculous concept
Old May 1st 2015, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by olivefarmer

However depending on your lifestyle choices, Spain has got to be a better place to live.
Spain is without doubt the better place to live if:
- You can speak the local language
- You have as much income as you would have had in the UK
- You are surrounded by family and friends
- You have lots of opportunities to grow and enjoy yourself personally

Otherwise it is an isolating foreign land with lots of stuff going on that you don't understand

But saying that, some of my relatives who live in the UK whole life seems to be just working and watching TV, but I don't know if that is a reflection of the UK or just a sad reflection of them

There are plenty of Spaniards though who have no job, no money and no social life as a result. Just existing day by day
Old May 1st 2015, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cricketman
Spain is without doubt the better place to live if:
- You can speak the local language
- You have as much income as you would have had in the UK
- You are surrounded by family and friends
- You have lots of opportunities to grow and enjoy yourself personally

Otherwise it is an isolating foreign land with lots of stuff going on that you don't understand

But saying that, some of my relatives who live in the UK whole life seems to be just working and watching TV, but I don't know if that is a reflection of the UK or just a sad reflection of them

There are plenty of Spaniards though who have no job, no money and no social life as a result. Just existing day by day
I have to agree and it's pointless moving to Spain for a healthier life. If you suffer from hay fever in the UK because you are living next to a field, it's probably only better in Spain because you're by the sea and away from the fields. If you moved to a coastal area in the UK, it would have probably been better. Alcoholics will be alcoholics in Spain too, only that they might drink more.

Last edited by Moses2013; May 1st 2015 at 2:08 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.