Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Healthiest Place to live in Spain

Healthiest Place to live in Spain

Old May 2nd 2015, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Healthiest Place to live in Spain

Thanks!
Old May 2nd 2015, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MagicWriter2014
Thanks for the replies, one reason I asked is that when watching shows like 'A Place in the Sun' they always mention the health benefits of the salt lakes, but have never mentioned mossies being there!
There are many things that programs such as A Place In the Sun fail to mention (in fact I would take most of what they say with a pinch of salt) but believe me any warm country and water you will get mosquitos! As for allergies you may find that in relation to pollen it could be better or worse in Spain you would realy need to do one of the allergy tests to establish what you are allergic to. You say its not hay fever but you are allergic to Rape Seed pollen but that is hay fever . There was a huge increase in the UK re hay fever when they started farming rape seed, because not being a common UK crop our bodies were not used to it. The same could apply for yourself with say Olive , Orange or say Nispero blossom any pollen can trigger an allergy . Of course I appreciate that there will be added possible benefits of being able to exercise easier and more frequent and generally better weather as has been mentioned.
Old May 2nd 2015, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if there is a healthiest place. Fresh air and exercise is available all over Spain. At the moment the wild flowers are amazing, oranges and lemons tumbling from the trees and the air is fresh with the smell of orange blossom. Makes it so easy to go out walking keeping fit whilst listening to the wonderful sound of the birds singing....all the senses being used together, sunshine on top, what is there not to like.
Old May 2nd 2015, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

MagicWriter2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Dave, I knew I had read something similar to what you posted.
I realise these things are skewed by things like lifestyle choices etc, but just having more sunshine and heat in your lives must make you feel better, even if technically you still have the same medical problems, if that makes any sense. It is 5 degrees centigrade over here today, overcast and a cold wind which makes it feel even colder. It just makes you feel so depressed all the time and the cold does have a negative effect on my Fibromyalgia.
You can visibly see the difference in folk when it is a warm sunny day, they walk more upright, smile more and just have a general happier demeanour!
If we decide not to move to Spain this year or next, we will definitely be looking at moving down South where it will be warmer and more accessible to airports then we could maybe just come over for the winter months.
Can see now why my mum never returned to Scotland once she had left now,
although we have spectacular scenery and it is a slower pace of life than down South, the weather does get to you eventually.
Hoping to get over this year to do a bit of looking, just hard deciding which area to really look at first as we will be leaving the rose tinted spectacles at home and be judging the place as a possible place to live rather than just holiday.
Old May 2nd 2015, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks,Glad you saw my post in the light it was intended. I was trying to be helpful although sometimes people do take cyber life too seriously.I remember hearing a radio add back in the 70s quoting WHO stats and thinking........one day!

Last edited by davidinspain; May 2nd 2015 at 5:07 pm.
Old May 3rd 2015, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daveinspain
"In April 2006 the World Health Organisation confirmed that the beautiful year-round climate of the Costa Blanca was one of the healthiest areas of the world in which to live. Even to this date people who live in and know the region will attest to that fact.

The sunny climate guarantees a better well being, which is ideal for people who are unfortunate to suffer from asthma, arthritis and skin disorders like eczema and psoriasis. Torrevieja situated next to the sea in the South of the Costa Blanca benefits from 320 days of sunshine each year with the average temperature ranging from 18-28 degrees Celsius."

Just a quote from WHO........and I don't live anywhere near there.And just for balance
http://www.spanish-property-sales.ne...p10healthy.jpg
So what would be the difference to Costa Brava and why don't they mention skin cancer?
Old May 4th 2015, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Suppose you'd need to ask WHO that question.As for skin cancer I imagine that would depend how much time you actually spend out in the sun,and as that's an individual thing fairly difficult to quantify.
Old May 4th 2015, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Suppose you'd need to ask WHO that question.As for skin cancer I imagine that would depend how much time you actually spend out in the sun,and as that's an individual thing fairly difficult to quantify.
Sure, but the more sun you have the higher the risk and it's never mentioned how many heat related deaths there are. If people would change their diet, the UK could be a healthier place.
Old May 4th 2015, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Sure, but the more sun you have the higher the risk and it's never mentioned how many heat related deaths there are. If people would change their diet, the UK could be a healthier place.
Sunbeds 'boost cancer risk' | Daily Mail Online
Life is unhealthy
Old May 4th 2015, 7:39 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Probably worthwhile checking out the uv factor forecast a few days ahead for those who have a lot of outdoor activities.
This one is for my region.
UV index and sun strength forecast Valencia | Meteovista.co.uk

Personally I keep out of the Sun as much as possible towards mid-summer and keep covered up as far as possible when out in it.
I can quite easily get sunburned in the shade without venturing out in it, from reflected rays I can only presume, though as Dave mentioned everyone is different.
I had a bit of a scare last year and also I knew a young lady who died very prematurely as a result of skin cancer spreading to her internal organs, so it's no more nudi beaches for me from now on.
Old May 4th 2015, 7:42 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the young lady I mentioned was thought to have developed cancer from sunbeds.
Old May 4th 2015, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

MagicWriter2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

Think most people are more sun aware nowadays I remember when we were young my sister would slap the oil on and lay out in the sun sizzling like a burger on the barbecue, but hopefully those days have long gone. Sadly, some folk are finding those days have caught up with them re skin cancer.
Old May 5th 2015, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

wilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that living in the Costa Blanca (especially being close to the salt lakes of Torre) is proven to extend your life expectancy by about 20 years or so. I am sure a bunch of scientists proved it.
Old May 6th 2015, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by wilsman77
I think that living in the Costa Blanca (especially being close to the salt lakes of Torre) is proven to extend your life expectancy by about 20 years or so. I am sure a bunch of scientists proved it.
even when you eat a full English every day.
Old May 6th 2015, 11:23 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by Moses2013
even when you eat a full English every day.
....or drink wine morning, afternoon and evening as is the case with many Spanish, even if mostly but not all, in limited quantities.

In any event the life expectancy difference between the UK and Spain, as demonstrated on the chart Dave kindly posted, is actually less than one year, so I would have imagined that by now if there was even a grain of truth in the twenty extra years claimed regarding the Torrevieja region, it would be standing room only down there by now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.