Healthcare in Spain

Healthcare in Spain

Old Oct 16th 2013, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

Rawranavi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Healthcare in Spain

Originally Posted by EMR
It not my fault , its everyone elses.
An all too frequent response these days.
Even in a public hospital without insurance or and EHIC you would have had problems.
yeah? what problems? : DDD
Jes, how smart you are. I am amazed.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 1:02 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rawranavi
yeah? what problems? : DDD
Jes, how smart you are. I am amazed.
Folk are just trying to point out how things are in Spain. Don't shoot the messenger. You are new here, so if you've only joined to use our site as a platform to have a rant, then you've come to the wrong place. We are a community here, so take some time to get to know everyone, if that is not your intention then maybe you would be better of posting on holiday/travel sites rather than an expat site.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 1:03 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly not as smart as someone who thinks that everyone in Spain should speak english and that they can travel without insurance or a UK EHIC.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 1:07 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rawranavi
Okay, people. I get it that in uk not everybody can speak spanish or other languages, but in Ibiza, where there are more english speaking people than spanish-speaking ones??? Seriously? And what about the attitude - it's not me, but spanish people in Ibiza who has it. They are ignorant and rude to foreigners.

What about my "little wounded finger", just so you know, it was such car accident that there was nothing left of the car I was in. And I was in shock also. Ambulance MUST come and check people after such accident.

What is more, even if I didn't have insurance, in PUBLIC hospital prices are lower! And it is unfair in any way for policeman or ambulance (whoever's idea it was) to bring foreigner from an accident place to a PRIVATE hospital.
Surely if it was a car accident the car insurance should pay your medical bill.

Rosemary
Old Oct 16th 2013, 1:30 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I am continually being shocked at the attitude of Brits who come to Spain and expect to get access to services at the drop of a hat and in English.

But my recent experiences with the Andalucian Health Service here in Granada is still one of pleasant surprise at the caring attitude in A&E, surgery, rehab etc etc, with so many people only too willing to stop and help, and who can speak perfectly good English. The only thing that limits this is their desire Not to make a mistake when talking about surgery and important medical matters.
But so far a 10 out of 10.

It is my understanding that anyone who is taken to hospital by taxi would have to pay for the taxi. But anyone from another country would have to prove their eligibility to medical care when in Spain. Yes, this is the same in the UK, but they are more lax about things and there are £several millions each year not paid by people who are not eligible for NHS Treatment.

Isn't it incumbent on the individual travelling to ensure they are aware of the rules appertaining to those countries they are going to ??? Ignorance isn't bliss when involved in an accident.

And how many other people were involved in the car accident ??? How were they treated ??

More to this than meets the eye - we need EMR to ask more prying questions here

To the OP - pay up and be glad you are still alive, remember next time to have insurance and the EHIC next to your credit card.

rgds

Last edited by Domino; Oct 16th 2013 at 1:34 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 1:51 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

In 2001 I had an accident in Sorrento, Italy. Dealt with at the local hospital, head stitched and kept in for 3 days due to concussion. Althought this town seems to absolutely depend on tourism no one in the hospital spoke English, I was not surprised because these workers were not involved with tourism but with health. They asked for my passport, my EHIC, my insurance certificate and also asked me to sign to say that any shortfall would be met by me. I was fully covered by my holiday insurance so did not incur any bills for the ambulance, medical care, MRI´s or hospital stay, however I had to have my stitches removed by a doctor in the private sector before leaving the town and had to pay her charges immediately but I was able to claim this back from the insurance company when I returned to the UK.

Rosemary
Old Oct 16th 2013, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Of course every one should have travel insurance, but do people realise that insurance firms will not give you any cover if you are awaiting any investigation or result. Once you have a result and/or diagnosis they will cover you, for an increased charge.If you choose not to inform the company of this or any existing conditions,when applying for insurance, should anything happen on your holiday your insurance will be null and void.Also, if you have been approved for insurance and afterwards something happens and you have an operation, a new diagnosis, or are waiting for an investigation to be performed, or the results from blood tests, again,your insurance will be null and void.
Many people, when booking their flight, tick the box for cheap insurance;do they think to inform the company of any existing conditions?many do not, so the insurance is useless.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

sam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant future

hello
how much would be a good Spanish insurance policy for a single person,
40+ ? around EUR 400 a year ? with dentals.
what is the cost also for having access to the Andalucian supposed to be free public health service ?

thank you
Old Oct 16th 2013, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sam54140
hello
how much would be a good Spanish insurance policy for a single person,
40+ ? around EUR 400 a year ? with dentals.
what is the cost also for having access to the Andalucian supposed to be free public health service ?

thank you
The public health service was never "supposed to be free" in Spain. It is only for those who contribute to it, and always has been

In reality 99.9% of Spaniards are covered, but it is not a birth right of Spaniards or of any other nationality in Spain

You cannot use the public heath service in Spain unless you pay social security payments. And you can only pay social security payments if you are working legally. Pensioners from other EU countries are exempt

This is how almost all national health systems work in Europe. The UK being the exception
Old Oct 16th 2013, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

sam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant future

so if either you pay yr income tax in Spain or are employed there, you can
pay for social security and thus have access to free health care and if anything else is not covered by the ss, then you private Spanish health insurance will cover the difference. correct?

rgds
Old Oct 16th 2013, 2:50 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

pay for social security and thus have access to free health care and if anything else is not covered by the ss, then you private Spanish health insurance will cover the difference. correct?

rgds
No, just being a tax payer in Spain does not entitle you to health care.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 2:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

rgds
Not entirely

If you pay annual income tax in Spain you are still not covered. You need to pay monthly social security contributions. You can only pay these if you are employed or self-employed (the minimum amount is 260 euros per month).

If you are working for a living then you must pay social security contributions

If you choose not to work for a living and are under retirement age, then you must pay for your own health provision, either through an insurance policy or paying cash when needed
Old Oct 16th 2013, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

as far as i know, if autonomo, it's capped at 250-260euros a month.
no matter what yr income is.
and yes i meant to have the "right" to pay for ss if you are employed
or self employed. that's all.
and on top of it, very very wise to have your own Spanish(and European)
private health insurance. I read it's about EUR 400-500 for a single person, per year.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

as far as i know, if autonomo, it's capped at 250-260euros a month.
no matter what yr income is.
and yes i meant to have the "right" to pay for ss if you are employed
or self employed. that's all.
and on top of it, very very wise to have your own Spanish(and European)
private health insurance. I read it's about EUR 400-500 for a single person, per year.
It might depend somewhat on your age, but my OH and I currently pay €106 per month for private health insurance for the two of us (aged 57 and 63), if that's any use as a guide.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

thanks. that's what I found too, about EUR 800-1200 a year for a couple in their fifties.
rgds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.