Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Healthcare in Spain

Healthcare in Spain

Old Jun 7th 2013, 5:22 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare in Spain

So you automatically believe sur in English
Old Jun 7th 2013, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
So you automatically believe sur in English
Given the conspicuous absence of any concrete figures in any of the British press reports, I have seen nothing to contradict it. I wondered why none of them included the numbers (well no, I didn't actually).
Old Jun 10th 2013, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

MaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lynn R

This is of course a separate issue to tourists either presenting themselves at private hospitals for treatment, because they aren't aware of the distinction (easily done especially in the stress of an emergency situation) and where naturally an EHIC card will not be accepted, or being directed to such hospitals by hotel staff or taxi drivers who may be receiving financial inducement to send them there. There isn't much that can be done about that except raising awareness amongst tourists of the need to make sure it is a state hospital they go to.
I work in a private clinic - very small, just my husband and me. Several times a week, I get someone in with their EHIC asking if they can use it with us. They are always very surprised when i say No and that they can only use it in the Spanish state system and that the nearest centro de salud is a 15 min taxi journey away. The Uk government was very good at advertising the use of the EHIC advising everyone to get one, but use of it has caused some confusion to the traveller. People also believe that the card holds all sorts of information about them and that i can somehow use it to tap into their records in the UK
As far as financial inducements, thats the bit that annoys me and the more people can be made aware of this practice and what they should be asking for, the better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvxzJjmEhiE

Last edited by MaryJones; Jun 10th 2013 at 10:13 am.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 11:47 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I said in the original thread on this issue (Spanish state hospitals refusing to accept EHIC cards) that I would like to know some figures to demonstrate the real scale of this problem.

Well, now I know. In today's Sur in English (unfortunately I can't post a link because the story doesn't seem to be on their website yet, only in the pdf version of the online paper) is an article which states that the EC has complained to Spain about 20 such cases (that's 20 across the whole of Spain). For four of those cases they supplied supporting documentation, and three of those four related to the Costa del Sol Hospital in Marbella, where according to a hospital spokesperson 85,000 foreigners are treated each year. 3 out of 85,000 is an absolutely miniscule proportion, and I am now confirmed in my belief that (surprise, surprise) this story was greatly exaggerated by the British tabloid press.

This is of course a separate issue to tourists either presenting themselves at private hospitals for treatment, because they aren't aware of the distinction (easily done especially in the stress of an emergency situation) and where naturally an EHIC card will not be accepted, or being directed to such hospitals by hotel staff or taxi drivers who may be receiving financial inducement to send them there. There isn't much that can be done about that except raising awareness amongst tourists of the need to make sure it is a state hospital they go to.
Many thanks for finding this. It puts my mind at rest.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 3:56 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Now come on try and be serious, Stevie, even if it's just for this once.

Is anyone naive enough to believe that the EU would even bother considering a case, let alone pressing forward with it, if it only applied to those twenty cases ?

As has already been made clear the numbers in the UK alone are far, far in excess of that and then take into account that there are 27 countries in the EU many of which have also put forward their complaints.

Are you really stupid enough to believe that the EU would try to bring forward documentation and everything else involved, on every single case they have been presented with ?

I would have thought it is fairly obvious to anyone with even half a brain cell that the cases presented are simply to prove their point to the Spanish authorities.

To put forward the full documentation of every single case brought to their attention would be ridiculous even by their own standards and probably keep them busy for the next fifty years or more.

I know you prefer to live in cloud cuckoo land, but what's the point of making it so obvious ?
Old Jun 10th 2013, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Now come on try and be serious, Stevie, even if it's just for this once.

Is anyone naive enough to believe that the EU would even bother considering a case, let alone pressing forward with it, if it only applied to those twenty cases ?

As has already been made clear the numbers in the UK alone are far, far in excess of that and then take into account that there are 27 countries in the EU many of which have also put forward their complaints.

Are you really stupid enough to believe that the EU would try to bring forward documentation and everything else involved, on every single case they have been presented with ?

I would have thought it is fairly obvious to anyone with even half a brain cell that the cases presented are simply to prove their point to the Spanish authorities.

To put forward the full documentation of every single case brought to their attention would be ridiculous even by their own standards and probably keep them busy for the next fifty years or more.

I know you prefer to live in cloud cuckoo land, but what's the point of making it so obvious ?
Are they so lazy that they couldn't be bothered supplying the documentation for the other 16 cases they included in the complaint? Or could it be that there isn't any?
Old Jun 10th 2013, 5:11 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Are they so lazy that they couldn't be bothered supplying the documentation for the other 16 cases they included in the complaint? Or could it be that there isn't any?

I would have thought it only basic common sense just to supply enough evidence to the Spanish authorities to prove that it is actually happening.
Beyond that what's the point ?
To get involved in making a case and supplying whatever evidence is required on even a small percentage of the total number of complaints involved would more than likely be mind boggling.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I would have thought it only basic common sense just to supply enough evidence to the Spanish authorities to prove that it is actually happening.
Beyond that what's the point ?
To get involved in making a case and supplying whatever evidence is required on even a small percentage of the total number of complaints involved would more than likely be mind boggling.
Sorry Dick, but I hear the distinct sound of straws being clutched at in your responses.

I believe what has happened is that the British press has lumped together the two separate elements of this problem
a) the small number of people who have been refused treatment with an EHIC by Spanish public hospitals, and
b) the larger number of people who have been unable to use their EHIC at a private clinic or hospital, in some instances because they have been deliberately directed there.

in order to make a better story. It is perfectly obvious that no actual figures whatsoever were included in any of the British press reports, just vague statements like "an alarming number", "an increased number of complaints" and so on.

Mary's experience bears out the fact that many tourists still aren't aware that private establishments will not accept EHIC's, even after to my certain knowledge the British consulates have highlighted this issue every year for the past 3 years at least.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 5:31 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Laughable how the happy clappers hang on to something published in a Spanish ex-pat newspaper The official EU Commission press release talks about "an increasing number of complaints" ...not just from the UK either! Here it is:

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release....htm?locale=en
Old Jun 10th 2013, 5:40 pm
On the road again.

Not hard to see who needs the straws.

I could probably pick up on that many cases myself from my small circle of friends and acquaintances back in TF if I was still in touch with them, plus my own personal experience as well.
The mere tiniest of tiny drops in the ocean.
If you want to join Stevie in cloud cuckoo land then I wish you all the best.

As I mentioned before my concern is not only that it is happening, but why it is happening.
A coincidence maybe but strangely enough the private clinic to which myself and my friends were repeatedly being redirected was right next door to the state clinic.
Makes you think a bit eh, considering the slightly less than impecable record regarding corruption that seems to exist down here ?
Old Jun 10th 2013, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

guirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really nice

Very interesting, if I am resident in Spain and registered in its social security system can I request a EHIC card in Spain that will cover me for temporary visits to the UK, or anywhere else in Europe?
Old Jun 10th 2013, 5:52 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Laughable how the happy clappers hang on to something published in a Spanish ex-pat newspaper The official EU Commission press release talks about "an increasing number of complaints" ...not just from the UK either! Here it is:

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release....htm?locale=en
Interesting.

"The European Commission has been in contact with the Spanish authorities about this issue since 2010. The Spanish authorities have indicated to the Commission that they have taken certain actions to tackle the issue. Nonetheless, the Commission continues to receive complaints about this practice by hospitals providing public healthcare services in tourist areas."

My guess is, as I mentioned before, that the usual backhanders and corruption are involved here, otherwise why on earth would they continue to risk ignoring the rules and regulations despite at least 3 years of repeated warnings. ?

Now remind me jacky if you can, just how many times Stevie questioned the fact that the EU was taking any action at all, despite all the concrete evidence that was repeatedly put under his nose ?
Old Jun 10th 2013, 5:53 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by guirijohn
Very interesting, if I am resident in Spain and registered in its social security system can I request a EHIC card in Spain that will cover me for temporary visits to the UK, or anywhere else in Europe?
I would say so.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

elfallero is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by guirijohn
Absolutely. You can apply online and you'll have it in your hands within a week (well in Valencia anyway). http://www.seg-social.es/Internet_6/...x.htm#128573_6
Old Jun 11th 2013, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

guirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really nice

Originally Posted by elfallero
Absolutely. You can apply online and you'll have it in your hands within a week (well in Valencia anyway). http://www.seg-social.es/Internet_6/...x.htm#128573_6
Thank you, if I am taken ill in the UK I will be comforted that the costs are being recharged to Spain and that I am doing my bit for the UK economy.

Don' t skimp on the medicine and only the very best, I will say.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.