Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Healthcare in Spain

Healthcare in Spain

Old May 30th 2013, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Healthcare in Spain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22712790

It appears that the EU are going to step in to ensure to try and sort this one out.
Old May 30th 2013, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare in Spain

Am sure it happens, but have to say last year with a friend from UK the hospital at El Ejido couldnt be more helpful, registered our friend with his EHIC card and was seen and treated with upmost care. Not all bad
Old May 30th 2013, 9:06 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

The implication in that report it isn't just Brits that may have been denied but others - just not stated which countries
Old May 30th 2013, 10:15 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Well it must be true or it wouldn't have got so far in Brussels without proof! However, we had a thread on this when some seemed to be in denial
Old May 30th 2013, 10:45 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

yes, but then there are people on both sides of the EHIC who know little as to what it is for and as users try to get their lives put back together in the same way as they do in the UK (or other countries?) so the medical/support staff also are confused. Very few have any proper training and probably can't remember the "safe place" they filed the confusing document from Central Medical.

even my local medical centre seem to think I don't need an Andalucian Tarjeta Sanitaria but can get everything from my EHIC.
They don't seem to understand that EHIC is a dumb card and their Tarjeta system is actually light years ahead of what they have in the UK.
Old May 30th 2013, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

cymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura about

It certainly needs sorting, but so too does the issue of expats, living in Spain permanently, being early retirees, having no medical insurance cover and relying on their EHIC for routine medical treatment (with no care or concern that it is the UK taxpayer paying for it)....
Old May 30th 2013, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by cymruambyth
It certainly needs sorting, but so too does the issue of expats, living in Spain permanently, being early retirees, having no medical insurance cover and relying on their EHIC for routine medical treatment (with no care or concern that it is the UK taxpayer paying for it)....
I think the attitude is "I've paid for it so I'm entitled !!"

The same as some go home for their medical attention although resident in Spain.
Old May 30th 2013, 4:24 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino

Precisely, and why not ???

Judging by some of the more recent reports it appears that some of the Spanish hospitals are running some sort of a scam, which seemed to be the case from my own personal experience.

Really difficult to believe that something like that could be happening in such a corruption free country as Spain.
Old May 31st 2013, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

cymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Domino

The same as some go home for their medical attention although resident in Spain.
Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Ah right, I didn't realize we could pick and choose what rules, regulations and laws we wanted to abide by just because we live in a foreign Country, now you have put me straight I can cancel my health insurance policy - thank you
Old May 31st 2013, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by cymruambyth
Ah right, I didn't realize we could pick and choose what rules, regulations and laws we wanted to abide by just because we live in a foreign Country, now you have put me straight I can cancel my health insurance policy - thank you
well........it is my understanding that Spain seems to be at the front of the queue to sign up to every little thing that comes out of Brussels, like all good Europeans.
But they then are the last to implement things, usually getting red letters.
Old May 31st 2013, 6:52 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

Judging by some of the more recent reports it appears that some of the Spanish hospitals are running some sort of a scam, which seemed to be the case from my own personal experience.

Really difficult to believe that something like that could be happening in such a corruption free country as Spain.
According to some reports it's to get the money faster and into their own hands, so they make the customer pay, and then claim it back from either their insurance or the NHS, or they are even saying the problems are occuring because the person is going to a private hospital and not a public one.
Old May 31st 2013, 7:06 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
the problems are occuring because the person is going to a private hospital and not a public one.
I can see that happening. A foreigner calls an ambulance and the assumption would be that he didn't qualify for the NHS so they take him to a private hospital or local private clinic.
Old May 31st 2013, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

gardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nice

Surely the EHIC is for accidents and emergencies. Private hospitals do not normally have an A & E unit so why are they being taken to them unless it's not actually an emergency ?
Old May 31st 2013, 8:25 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The EHIC is not just for accidents and emergencies. It is for any treatment that may be required while you are away.

It even covers routine treatment such as dialysis.

Yes, using an ambulance would imply something serious but what about people who are not well calling a taxi or asking the hotel where they can find a doctor.

It's circumstances like these where the result could that the patient gets taken to a private facility.
Old May 31st 2013, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardner8
Surely the EHIC is for accidents and emergencies. Private hospitals do not normally have an A & E unit so why are they being taken to them unless it's not actually an emergency ?
The larger private hospitals do have Urgencias departments - Clinica Rincon in Rincon de la Victoria, for example, and their own ambulances. That's where I'd have to go if I needed emergency treatment as I'm not currently in the Spanish state health system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.