Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Healthcare in Spain

Healthcare in Spain

Old May 31st 2013, 9:29 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare in Spain

Well on BBC they were interviewing someone who had been to the CDS state hospital. The man said he handed over his health card, signed the required form, he was also asked if he had insurance. When he said not they asked for his credit card. I wonder if they have actually been charging twice as they had his completed form for the EHIC claim.

When OH worked at the hospital I saw the accounts and the income for treating other EU citizens was massive. However using the EHIC there was never a problem before. I would think the hospital charges an insurance co. more than a EU Government for a procedure.
Old May 31st 2013, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Well on BBC they were interviewing someone who had been to the CDS state hospital. The man said he handed over his health card, signed the required form, he was also asked if he had insurance. When he said not they asked for his credit card. I wonder if they have actually been charging twice as they had his completed form for the EHIC claim.

When OH worked at the hospital I saw the accounts and the income for treating other EU citizens was massive. However using the EHIC there was never a problem before. I would think the hospital charges an insurance co. more than a EU Government for a procedure.
Thinking about it, when we took my friend's daughter on to the Materno y Infantil Hospital in Malaga from our local one, the receptionist there did ask if they had travel insurance after we had handed over her EHIC. They did, and the hospital took details, but as far as we know the insurance company were not charged as my friend never heard anything from them. I wonder if some hospitals are doing this as a way of ensuring that patients are covered for every eventuality (repatriation, for example) that an EHIC might not cover?
Old May 31st 2013, 1:03 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I can see that happening. A foreigner calls an ambulance and the assumption would be that he didn't qualify for the NHS so they take him to a private hospital or local private clinic.
Yes it possibly could happen, but that is not what the complaint is all about.

It is about patients with a perfect right to treatment in a State hospital being knowingly and deliberately sent away to private clinics, as has been fairly clearly demonstrated these past few days.

As I mentioned earlier it is nothing new, because the same thing happened to me quite a long time ago, despite the fact that I'd been warned about them trying it on, as they had done with others I knew back then.

What interests me is their motives for continuing this despicable practice ?

Are they getting backhanders ?
Are they trying to reduce their workload ?
Are they trying to ease the financial strain on the State resources ?

Whichever may be the case they surely are no doubt fully aware that their actions are wrong.

You may think the term despicable to be a little harsh, however consider the patient who feels absolutely desperate for treatment and is sent elsewhere.

Under such circumstances I think their actions stink to high heaven, as little doubt they are taking full advantage of a vulnerable person whose only thought is probably to get rapid treatment anywhere, regardless of who should do what and who will foot the bill.
Old May 31st 2013, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

There really is no excuse for it ... according to today's Daily Mail, official figures published three weeks ago revealed how Britain spent Ā£247ā€‰million treating Spanish citizens last year. However, Spain spent just Ā£3.2ā€‰million treating British people.

When taking into account the fact that some younger expat residents may incorrectly use an EHIC card to obtain free treatment in Spain, it is a very small amount, considering the number of British tourists and holidaymakers who visit Spain every year.

Sort of suggests that the Spanish aren't averse to a bit of 'health tourism' themselves?
Old May 31st 2013, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noelrosie
There really is no excuse for it ... according to today's Daily Mail, official figures published three weeks ago revealed how Britain spent Ā£247ā€‰million treating Spanish citizens last year. However, Spain spent just Ā£3.2ā€‰million treating British people.

When taking into account the fact that some younger expat residents may incorrectly use an EHIC card to obtain free treatment in Spain, it is a very small amount, considering the number of British tourists and holidaymakers who visit Spain every year.

Sort of suggests that the Spanish aren't averse to a bit of 'health tourism' themselves?
What a load of b*llocks

Can you show the sources of those figures.

Given that there are half of million Brits in Spain and less than 100,000 Spaniards in the UK this cannot be true. And also given that many more Brits come on holiday to Spain than Spaniards who go to the UK
Old May 31st 2013, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cricketman
What a load of b*llocks

Can you show the sources of those figures.

Given that there are half of million Brits in Spain and less than 100,000 Spaniards in the UK this cannot be true. And also given that many more Brits come on holiday to Spain than Spaniards who go to the UK
This is the link http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-tourists.html

Have to say, I cannot understand either how the figures could be true...
Old May 31st 2013, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noelrosie
This is the link http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-tourists.html

Have to say, I cannot understand either how the figures could be true...
I see that the Daily Mail do not put a source for the figures either

The DM should be shut down, isnt it illegal in the UK now to spout off hate towards other nationalities?
Old Jun 6th 2013, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Jaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really nice

if I ever do move to spain I will definitely take out private medical insurance, I feel its the only way to be sure..........
Old Jun 6th 2013, 5:29 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaques2go
if I ever do move to spain I will definitely take out private medical insurance, I feel its the only way to be sure..........
And it is surprisingly cheap if you shop around.

Not a lot of use though if you have a load of pre-existing conditions.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Jaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fred James
And it is surprisingly cheap if you shop around.

Not a lot of use though if you have a load of pre-existing conditions.
I have high blood pressure and hi cholesterol but I had these when I joined the Benenden Health scheme here which costs meĀ£7 a month and accepts pre existing conditions, theres not much point in taking out insurance against something you already have if they wont insure you. As with all insurance, you have to read the small print and worth getting a solicitor to look through it beforehand. For the cost it would be well worth it I think.
You hear so much about people holidaying in spain, being taken ill or having an accident and the insurance companies finding a way out so its not just the Spanish - lets face it , all insurance is a big rip off............
Old Jun 6th 2013, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I would not be too upset if I read that the local hospital in Mallorca had refused to accept this guy's EHIC card:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...y-Majorca.html

Why do these idiots persist in this kind of behaviour? I bet travel insurers would not pay out if the insured person had been indulging in something so dangerous, so why should the British taxpayer have to pay? Or the resources of a Spanish public hospital be tied up in dealing with it, even if the UK picks up the bill eventually.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 6:27 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know what the attraction of balcony hopping is for British youth That is the problem with cheapie booze and sun holidays. Perhaps insurance should be made compulsory!
Old Jun 6th 2013, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Perhaps insurance should be made compulsory!
But don't travel insurance policies have standard exclusion clauses for dangerous pursuits - and you don't get many more dangerous than jumping off balconies or climbing from one to another!
Old Jun 6th 2013, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaques2go
Unless you are autonomo or a pensioner, you wouldn't have much choice if you want to be covered!
Old Jun 7th 2013, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

I said in the original thread on this issue (Spanish state hospitals refusing to accept EHIC cards) that I would like to know some figures to demonstrate the real scale of this problem.

Well, now I know. In today's Sur in English (unfortunately I can't post a link because the story doesn't seem to be on their website yet, only in the pdf version of the online paper) is an article which states that the EC has complained to Spain about 20 such cases (that's 20 across the whole of Spain). For four of those cases they supplied supporting documentation, and three of those four related to the Costa del Sol Hospital in Marbella, where according to a hospital spokesperson 85,000 foreigners are treated each year. 3 out of 85,000 is an absolutely miniscule proportion, and I am now confirmed in my belief that (surprise, surprise) this story was greatly exaggerated by the British tabloid press.

This is of course a separate issue to tourists either presenting themselves at private hospitals for treatment, because they aren't aware of the distinction (easily done especially in the stress of an emergency situation) and where naturally an EHIC card will not be accepted, or being directed to such hospitals by hotel staff or taxi drivers who may be receiving financial inducement to send them there. There isn't much that can be done about that except raising awareness amongst tourists of the need to make sure it is a state hospital they go to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.