Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Have NIE requirements changed?

Have NIE requirements changed?

Old Sep 20th 2018, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

owned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Have NIE requirements changed?

I'm in Gran Canaria right now and will shortly rent a house.

I've just been to the national police station to get an EX 15 form and was told by the immigration staff that when I bring back the completed EX 15 form that I will need my passport with some copies and proof of my address, like a tenancy agreement.

From reading a few websites on how to go about obtaining your NIE number I was aware that you had to have 2 copies of the EX 15 form and your passport copies, but have never heard about needing to show your tenancy agreement. Is this is new requirement or is this just a local Gran Canaria thing.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have NIE requirements changed?

As far as proof of address is concerned the answer is no they have always wanted either tenancy agreement or a copy of your escritura.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 11:43 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
As far as proof of address is concerned the answer is no they have always wanted either tenancy agreement or a copy of your escritura.
This is simply NOT correct.

For an NIE (via ex15) , any address in the world can be used - it doesn't even have to be in Spain. You NEVER need to prove this address.

For residency (signing on the list of foreigners) you use form EX18 and must prove that you are living (resident) in Spain
Old Sep 20th 2018, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

owned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond repute

I can fill the EX 15 form out and take it to the police station and use my air bnb address. But if they still want to see a tenancy agreement then I'll have to wait another week or so until I have rented a place, which seems the better option.
I don't really want to go to the police station and have an argument with them and tell them they are wrong as its not going to do me any favours for future contact with them.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Have NIE requirements changed?

Old Sep 20th 2018, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: Have NIE requirements changed?

Originally Posted by snikpoh
This is simply NOT correct.

For an NIE (via ex15) , any address in the world can be used - it doesn't even have to be in Spain. You NEVER need to prove this address.

For residency (signing on the list of foreigners) you use form EX18 and must prove that you are living (resident) in Spain

EU citizens:

• Passport and copy
  • Proof of address in Spain – your rental contract (in your name) would be sufficient
  • Completed EX-18 form
  • Completed Modelo 790
  • Proof of health insurance – this can be private health insurance or an EHIC card
  • Document* proving why you need a Spanish NIE number, which differs depending on your intentions. In most cases it is:
    • a contract showing that you’re going to buy a property in Spain like real estate, car, etc.
    • employed: job contract from the Spanish company
    • self-employed: a company ownership certificate
    • persons with sufficient funds: proof that you can live in Spain without working
    • students: acceptance letter from the school plus proof of payment to the school
    • job seekers: you can go only with passport, but you will be issued a temporary NIE number valid only for 3 months
  • Enough to pay the NIE fee (€10.71 at the time of writing)
Old Sep 20th 2018, 2:51 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
EU citizens:
  • Passport and copy
  • Proof of address in Spain – your rental contract (in your name) would be sufficient
  • Completed EX-18 form
  • Completed Modelo 790
  • Proof of health insurance – this can be private health insurance or an EHIC card
  • Document* proving why you need a Spanish NIE number, which differs depending on your intentions. In most cases it is:
    • a contract showing that you’re going to buy a property in Spain like real estate, car, etc.
    • employed: job contract from the Spanish company
    • self-employed: a company ownership certificate
    • persons with sufficient funds: proof that you can live in Spain without working
    • students: acceptance letter from the school plus proof of payment to the school
    • job seekers: you can go only with passport, but you will be issued a temporary NIE number valid only for 3 months
  • Enough to pay the NIE fee (€10.71 at the time of writing)
Oh dear!

This is not for an NIE but for residency (which may include NIE) - quite different! In fact, the list is very confused between residency and just an NIE

The OP mentioned EX15 not EX18.

Also, don't know where you got that list but it is incorrect as it mentions an EHIC as being valid proof of health care cover which it isn't.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree with Snikpoh, for our NIE we used the address of our estate agent. Residency is different matter all together.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 4:15 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree. Needing a tenancy agreement or escritura is complete rubbish. Many people come to Spain to buy a house and need an NIE and clearly are not renting. They are most likely in a hotel for a few weeks. Estate agents and lawyers addresses are frequently used. You can get an NIE in the UK without ever setting foot in Spain.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 5:26 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Oh dear!

This is not for an NIE but for residency (which may include NIE) - quite different! In fact, the list is very confused between residency and just an NIE

The OP mentioned EX15 not EX18.

Also, don't know where you got that list but it is incorrect as it mentions an EHIC as being valid proof of health care cover which it isn't.
Unfortunately if you Google NIE the list that Chrisjolly has copied appears on several other forums. So this misinformation multiplies and multiplies.

Rosemary
Old Sep 21st 2018, 6:28 am
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Unfortunately if you Google NIE the list that Chrisjolly has copied appears on several other forums. So this misinformation multiplies and multiplies.

Rosemary
Oh I agree, and it will now come up on this forum.! Obviously they don't come up like this on official sites - everyone be warned.

We have to correct these mistakes wherever we see them.
Old Sep 21st 2018, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Lmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately people confuse, NIE, padron and residency.
most of the list is for residency, some applies for padron.
NIE requirements are fairly straightforward
Old Sep 21st 2018, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

With the advent of digital translaters this problem is increasing as it makes non Spanish speakers believe they are experts on all aspects of Spanish law culture etc. The problem is that many things are not equal concepts. How problematic it becomes when people talk about council tax and think there is a Spanish equivalent. Or mistake NIE por Nacional insurance nnumbers. From there more errors occur. I like nota simples. Simple note.
Old Sep 21st 2018, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Lets's see what happens when I go in with my ex15 soon.

I'll pretend I don't have proof of my address and see what they say. It could have been that the member of immigration staff was confused over what I was applying for, but I did say I want an ex15 form. It could also be that the rules are a bit different around here, but I wouldn't think so. The proof will be in the pudding on this one ha ha.
Old Sep 21st 2018, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

I guess that when copied lists of information are presented to us it would be helpful if the poster could verify the source, otherwise it could just be wild speculation on the part of the poster. In this case the latter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.