Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Grass maintenance!

Grass maintenance!

Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:04 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Grass maintenance!

Our lawn is going really yellow and seems to be dying with the sun. It was fine until this really hot weather we are having, but now it looks awful. It gets a good watering everynight and morning before the sun comes up. Is there anyone out there that knows what we are doing wrong? We have only had the lawn since January so havent had to tend to it in hot weather.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:13 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grass maintenance!

Originally Posted by sam parky
Our lawn is going really yellow and seems to be dying with the sun. It was fine until this really hot weather we are having, but now it looks awful. It gets a good watering everynight and morning before the sun comes up. Is there anyone out there that knows what we are doing wrong? We have only had the lawn since January so havent had to tend to it in hot weather.
No doubt matty boy will be along, but I know you need a lot of water to keep a lawn looking good. Maybe you need a sprinkler system to come on for an hour in the evening. Not sure if watering it with a hose for 5 mins in this heat is going to do it
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
No doubt matty boy will be along, but I know you need a lot of water to keep a lawn looking good. Maybe you need a sprinkler system to come on for an hour in the evening. Not sure if watering it with a hose for 5 mins in this heat is going to do it
We have an irrigation system, but the pipes dont pop up. Hubby thinks it could be to do with the water pressure. We do stand there for about 15 minutes morning and night giving it a good soak. I can see us having to pave it before the summers over :curse:
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:17 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

We have an irrigation system, but the pipes dont pop up. Hubby thinks it could be to do with the water pressure. We do stand there for about 15 minutes morning and night giving it a good soak. I can see us having to pave it before the summers over :curse:
Mines just one huge 45 degree rockery I have to hang glide down to the bottom of the garden
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:18 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

Our friends water theres for ages the have a hose that is attached to a sprinkler system. theres is green all year round
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:19 pm

Mines just one huge 45 degree rockery I have to hang glide down to the bottom of the garden
I bet thats fun, but dont try it when you`ve had one too many
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:22 pm
Senior Moment

I bet thats fun, but dont try it when you`ve had one too many
Trouble is if I miss my fence I'll end up in Gandia Town
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:23 pm

Trouble is if I miss my fence I'll end up in Gandia Town
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:43 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Is it English grass or Spanish ?
Only water it at night when the sun has gone down or you will scorch it.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:48 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by jdr

Yes I forgot to mention that ... our neighbour says watering in the morning or day is detrimental to plants for sure. Always waits until the sun has set
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
Portuguese grass. It does only get watered when the sun has gone down or before the sun comes up.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:55 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I forgot to mention that ... our neighbour says watering in the morning or day is detrimental to plants for sure. Always waits until the sun has set
Its a bit of a myth to be honest, otherwise plants would die every time it rains during daylight hours.
It only really applies to water soluble feeds, the minerals will kill them.

The main reason you don't water during the day is that you lose a greater percentage of it due to evaporation than is absorbed, and you should never water the foliage anyway, it causes too much top growth, not enough root growth.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:56 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Portuguese grass. It does only get watered when the sun has gone down or before the sun comes up.
Pam try and find out what type of grass you have.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:56 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Its a bit of a myth to be honest, otherwise plants would die every time it rains during daylight hours.
It only really applies to water soluble feeds, the minerals will kill them.

The main reason you don't water during the day is that you lose a greater percentage of it due to evaporation than is absorbed, and you should never water the foliage anyway, it causes too much top growth, not enough root growth.
So only water the roots?
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Pam try and find out what type of grass you have.
Like how do I do that (would put something that rhymes with your name but could get banned lol).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.