Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Granada - moving there

Granada - moving there

Old Jul 5th 2010, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Granada - moving there

Originally Posted by qwertyjjj
Is it easy enough to get 6 month rentals in the area or do the landlords prefer longer?
I think the main issue is going to be signing contracts in SPanish
Found this on one site: Granada is a good place to live, if you can find somewhere. The estate agents won´t rent you anything for less than a year so you have to try your luck with the various fly posted advertisements which is pretty tricky if you don´t time it right or speak much Spanish.
I don't know about Granada specifically, but in my city it is very difficult to get 6 month contracts. 11 months (renewable) is the standard. There are a handful (literally a handful....like about 5!!!) who offer short term holiday lets on a weekly basis.

HOWEVER, you could always sign an 11 month contract but only stay for 6 months and then do a bunk. You might lose your deposit, but then again you might not if you play it right. It is not in the landlord's financial interest to pursue you for breach of contract.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

heath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really niceheath1974 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Veleta
I don't know about Granada specifically, but in my city it is very difficult to get 6 month contracts. 11 months (renewable) is the standard. There are a handful (literally a handful....like about 5!!!) who offer short term holiday lets on a weekly basis.

HOWEVER, you could always sign an 11 month contract but only stay for 6 months and then do a bunk. You might lose your deposit, but then again you might not if you play it right. It is not in the landlord's financial interest to pursue you for breach of contract.
qwertyjjj - The two following sites might be worth having a look through.

http://www.granadainmo.com/buscador....=1&pro=granada

Using the drop-down menu tabs at the top of the page, you can select to sort by "Superficie" (surface area in square metres) and by "Precio" (price).

This site is totally in Spanish, so for ease of use if there's anything you don't understand, try using the Google Chrome browser, which can help translate pages. Never 100% accurate translations, but not too bad.

The second one is http://ing.granadasur.net/

This has the option to switch between English and Spanish text, although the drop-down boxes may not translate from Spanish.

In this case, you'll want to select "Option" > "Alquiler" (rental), then in the box below "Tipe" (their translation typo, should be "Type") > then any of "Pisos" (flats, usually small), "Apartamentos" (Apartments, usually bigger), "Casas" (houses).

Both should give you a good idea of what's available and price guidelines. If you're not sure about particular areas, one good way to look is to use Google Earth and the street view option. Granada is very well mapped in Google Earth and pretty up to date. Helps to better know localities and actually visualise areas better. You can pretty much take a virtual tour of the surrounding areas in street view. Very good tool for prospective buyers and renters, though there's clearly no substitute for visiting in person.

My final tip, would be to print off copies of anything you like the look of. This way, when you come to actually visit estate agents (inmobiliarias), you've got something on paper, that you can compare to anything else they show you. You've also got prices on paper that you can refer to or use as a negotiating tool.

I think you'll be fine with the plenty of options available and it certainly makes sense to look around before you buy and stay, if that's the intention.

Finally, in the current climate, I've no doubt that you might be able to sort out a six month contract to suit your needs. Use that as a bargaining tool to get what you want, but also get an abogado (solicitor) to check through any details if you're not sure.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Is there some kind of residence permit scheme in Granada or are there places to park for free?
Old Jul 12th 2010, 2:08 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

There are streets where you can park for free. We left ours in one for nearly two weeks while my husband was in hospital. I don't know about any other parking areas, so can't comment.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Lecrin Valley any good or too isolated?
Old Jul 21st 2010, 6:11 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Lecrin valley is very beautiful and is very accessible to Granada, Malaga and the Costa, but if you want city life you won't get it like you do in Granada as it cosists mainly of villages and small towns.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

May I politely suggest that as you obviously dont appear to know the area that you actually come over and actually look, you may prefer Lecrin valley, it is beautiful, but really I think you should spend a few days looking.

That is exactly what anybody thinking of moving over should do

Then you could speak to agents, view property, check the parking, cant say when I have been to Granada I found any free parking, but that has just been a visit or three.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pwwm
May I politely suggest that as you obviously dont appear to know the area that you actually come over and actually look, you may prefer Lecrin valley, it is beautiful, but really I think you should spend a few days looking.

That is exactly what anybody thinking of moving over should do

Then you could speak to agents, view property, check the parking, cant say when I have been to Granada I found any free parking, but that has just been a visit or three.
Of course, it's just that I wanted to shortlist a few areas first
Speaking of which, I've heard a lot of dodgy stuff about English estate agents charging UK customers more because they think they can - perhas not with rentals as much but things like agreeing minimum sale prices with Spanish residents and then charging the UK customer 1.5x more and then the agent pockets the difference.
With rentals, are there any fees to pay on behalf of the tenant or is that illegal?
Old Jul 21st 2010, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by qwertyjjj
Of course, it's just that I wanted to shortlist a few areas first
Speaking of which, I've heard a lot of dodgy stuff about English estate agents charging UK customers more because they think they can - perhas not with rentals as much but things like agreeing minimum sale prices with Spanish residents and then charging the UK customer 1.5x more and then the agent pockets the difference.
With rentals, are there any fees to pay on behalf of the tenant or is that illegal?
Yes, if you rent a property through an agency it is usual to pay half the agency commission, which is usually 1 months rent.

However, in these times where there are lots of properties on the market you may be able to negotiate the landlord into paying all this commission. You may also have to pay for the contract, which will be no more than 100 euros.