British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Goodbye Sky TV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/goodbye-sky-tv-779691/)

Fredbargate Jan 11th 2014 10:35 pm

Re: Goodbye Sky TV

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 11074666)
It doesnt matter any more, as it won't be happening again ;):)

Has the BAT been bowled out ???

Domino Jan 12th 2014 7:15 am

Originally Posted by BAT7311 (Post 11074111)
blimy ... lets break this down
1. criminal is criminal you get arrested and put in prison i am 100% against all criminal acts and i am happy to report to the police any such action ...
2. going on what you say (and i totally disagree) a sky contract is just a civil contract between two parties . no one of the 20,000,000 people who have had one has ever been arrested or put in prison,well certainly not during my five years working at BSKYB head office ...
3.SKY GO is sold under ECJ C-403/08 and C-429/08
4.al-jaz football is sold by their agents in the magreb to anyone with a maroc telecom SIM card - its their rules not mine ..

i think you are getting 3 and 4 confused as you cant buy SKY in Casablanca
they speak French

SKY in the UK is owned by BSKYB
SKY ITALIA is owned by 21st century fox..their contact states that it is to be used at the address on the contract (and as it conforms to ECJ rulings has no mention of geographical location )

this idea of cant watch past dover is so old now ... just look at what the real world is doing ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Euroregions

i hope i am being less ´´aggressive´´ in my posts and will purchase some hush puppies for here in CC instead of my standard jackboots

well, it doesn't matter so far as many people are concerned - they would be absolutely horrified to find they have been sold a contract that is actually illegal.
they think they are getting full and unhindered access to something that has been sold to them and they have accepted.
why do you think so many pick up the phone and call Sky when they have a problem? They think they have a legal and binding contract with the company and are horrified to find out that they have been paying out good money to a third party for something that isn't "kosher"
most people are by nature honest - and they trust people who make what appears to be an offer that meets all their needs. That those not making the offer are telling the truth is way over the heads of the majority of customers. They have their own worlds, their own lives, and just want to watch the latest from the UK as they did back in Scunthorpe, Runcorn, or wherever, with a name they know and have perhaps used for years with no problems.

So you shouting about ECJ doesn't actually fill anyone with confidence, especially when you are flogging Moroccan sim cards to allow people to circumvent "restrictions" on IP - such as being able to watch English League football that has been sold as a package in various slices around the world.
And why someone in Hong Kong (your previous statement) should want to use your services rather than more official ones readily available leads me to believe that that contract is also "dodgy".

Oh, and in case you have forgotten, I know lots about broadcasting to specific areas, about propagation of RF (even at the high freqs used by satellites) and what constitutes a contravention of an agreement - including torts.
:zzz:

Fred James Jan 12th 2014 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 11074681)
Has the BAT been bowled out ???

Yes.

cleverdic Feb 4th 2014 7:38 pm

Warning for folk in the Ayamonte area and beyond.

It looks likely that BBC channels will move to the new Satellite Astra 2E and the new spot beam tomorrow.

The move ".... will take place in the early hours of Thursday 6th February 2014. Care has been taken to ensure the minimum of impact to UK viewers both during and after the change, such that no viewer actions should be required."

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/news/news_item25.html

Be prepared for some significant changes !!

tommy.irene Feb 4th 2014 9:00 pm

We got Sky News and Pick tv back today in the Canarie Isles on a small dish.

duffer Feb 4th 2014 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by cleverdic (Post 11114111)
Warning for folk in the Ayamonte area and beyond.

It looks likely that BBC channels will move to the new Satellite Astra 2E and the new spot beam tomorrow.

The move ".... will take place in the early hours of Thursday 6th February 2014. Care has been taken to ensure the minimum of impact to UK viewers both during and after the change, such that no viewer actions should be required."

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/news/news_item25.html

Be prepared for some significant changes !!

Fingers crossed also here in Italy!! I've upgraded my dish once, from 90cm to 130cm but cannot go larger than that.

The Pope Feb 5th 2014 6:41 pm

BBC Stands for Bye Bye Channels.... All BBC Channels have gone...

MikeCol Feb 5th 2014 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by The Pope (Post 11115797)
BBC Stands for Bye Bye Channels.... All BBC Channels have gone...

Not all bad, still got QVC, wohoo ;). Regards Bryony

The Pope Feb 5th 2014 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by MikeCol (Post 11115891)
Not all bad, still got QVC, wohoo ;). Regards Bryony

Apparently ITV goes tonight.... :thumbdown:

MikeCol Feb 5th 2014 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by The Pope (Post 11115897)

P.S everything available on-line :-))

Fredbargate Feb 5th 2014 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by The Pope (Post 11115897)

Thats it then a mass retreat back to the UK where TV and WFA are guaranteed:rofl:

MikeCol Feb 5th 2014 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 11115936)
Thats it then a mass retreat back to the UK where TV and WFA are guaranteed:rofl:

If you have an iPad/Phone you can buy Apple TV (about E100) and watch all your beloved channels by streaming them through your IOS device.

tommy.irene Feb 5th 2014 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by MikeCol (Post 11115943)
If you have an iPad/Phone you can buy Apple TV (about E100) and watch all your beloved channels by streaming them through your IOS device.

Or you could get Internet TV in .. like we in the Canaries did last year when we lost BBC and ITV channels..

Fredbargate Feb 5th 2014 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by MikeCol (Post 11115943)

Originally Posted by tommy.irene (Post 11115953)
Or you could get Internet TV in .. like we in the Canaries did last year when we lost BBC and ITV channels..

I was an EXPAT long before Sky TV

duffer Feb 5th 2014 10:03 pm

Lot of peeps using Filmon on tablet or laptop to TV via HDMI.

jo-ann Feb 5th 2014 10:35 pm

Only if you can get a decent internet speed and with movistar and living in the campo that is impossible!!!!!

andyrich666 Feb 5th 2014 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by jo-ann (Post 11116043)
Only if you can get a decent internet speed and with movistar and living in the campo that is impossible!!!!!

Surely If you live in the Campo you can buy a bigger dish without the restrictions some urbs or community places have.

klarika Feb 5th 2014 11:06 pm

Do you mean Smart TV or via VPN?

Dxf Feb 5th 2014 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by andyrich666 (Post 11116088)
Surely If you live in the Campo you can buy a bigger dish without the restrictions some urbs or community places have.

Yes in theory we could get permission for a 5 metre dish
think Jodrell bank might not get passed the planners

Davexf

Domino Feb 5th 2014 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Dxf (Post 11116100)

Davexf

a recent ex-pat

just do what the Spanish do, put it up there and forget to tell the planners

but as a dish is a "temporary" structure planning wouldn't be needed

`

andyrich666 Feb 5th 2014 11:28 pm

Davexf

Empty the pool and hide the dish in there ;)

Fredbargate Feb 5th 2014 11:45 pm

Davexf

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 11116123)
a recent ex-pat

just do what the Spanish do, put it up there and forget to tell the planners

but as a dish is a "temporary" structure planning wouldn't be needed

`

Definately temporary until the next gale :rofl:

EMR Feb 6th 2014 1:04 am

Easyjet and Ryan flights back to the UK went up by 50% today due to sudden and dramtic increase in demand for 1 way flights !!

tommy.irene Feb 6th 2014 1:17 am

Originally Posted by klarika (Post 11116098)
Do you mean Smart TV or via VPN?

If you use Hola unblocker you can watch the BBC and ITV iplayers..or just watch Filmon.com for free UKTV.

klarika Feb 6th 2014 1:58 am

:goodpost:

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 11116308)
Easyjet and Ryan flights back to the UK went up by 50% today due to sudden and dramtic increase in demand for 1 way flights !!

irismary Feb 7th 2014 10:28 am

The first thing is to find out what size dish works now. Does anyone know?
The posts from the costas seem to say that the minimum size has gone up from about 1 metre to about 1.3m.
Here, where the signal seems to be weaker, a 1.3 m. was necessary before the changes. So we might be looking at the need for a 2 m. dish. That does not sound impossible.
I am told that in Cyprus they needed bigger ones than that.

EsuriJohn Feb 7th 2014 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by irismary (Post 11118754)
The first thing is to find out what size dish works now. Does anyone know?
The posts from the costas seem to say that the minimum size has gone up from about 1 metre to about 1.3m.
Here, where the signal seems to be weaker, a 1.3 m. was necessary before the changes. So we might be looking at the need for a 2 m. dish. That does not sound impossible.
I am told that in Cyprus they needed bigger ones than that.

It has been posted elsewhere that a 3m communal dish on the Algarve did not give any signal. I just wonder how well that was tuned and maintained since one of that size is working in Tenerife. Also all dishes are not of the same quality.

My guess would be something above 2.4m together with the finest LNB is what might work but that is a monster and might present structural problems in bad weather such as the recent gales which were described as a tornado on the 19/01. It might need to be ground mounted on solid concrete foundations so the first adopter is going to be very brave!

Dxf Feb 7th 2014 6:30 pm

Hi
My current 1.3 metre dish is firmly attached to the plinth that surrounds my house. As it is situated on the back of the house facing East, I see no problem with the winds as it is "sheltered" from the full wind by virtue of the house which is a foot behind it.

Davexf

EsuriJohn Feb 7th 2014 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Dxf (Post 11118980)
Hi
My current 1.3 metre dish is firmly attached to the plinth that surrounds my house. As it is situated on the back of the house facing East, I see no problem with the winds as it is "sheltered" from the full wind by virtue of the house which is a foot behind it.

Davexf

BUT do have any channels left? AND with such a structurally sound attachment are you prepared to be the guinea pig to fit progressively larger dishes until we know what works down here in the deep SW?

Chiclanagir Feb 7th 2014 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by jo-ann (Post 11116043)

What speed do you get with Movistar. We are on 7 now since we joined Movistar Fusion.

andyrich666 Feb 7th 2014 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 11119085)
What speed do you get with Movistar. We are on 7 now since we joined Movistar Fusion.

That should be good enough for some IPTV solutions. A decent router would help also.

jo-ann Feb 8th 2014 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 11119085)

I have been on Movistar Fusion for the last year and it made no difference to the speed, when I speak to Telefonica they say I can only get 1 mb, normally if I am lucky I get 2.56. They have no intention of upgrading, it is very annoying when I pay the same price as everyone else but get such an inferior system. I am going to be looking at other options when my year is up at the end of April. Using Film on is very hit and miss with stop start going on it gets impossible.

jo-ann Feb 8th 2014 12:04 am

Originally Posted by andyrich666 (Post 11116088)

Would you still get anything with a bigger dish, who know? and with the strong levante it could be dangerous

EsuriJohn Feb 8th 2014 3:13 am

Originally Posted by jo-ann (Post 11119165)
Would you still get anything with a bigger dish, who know? and with the strong levante it could be dangerous

We do not have the Levante in Ayamonte!

Fredbargate Feb 8th 2014 3:25 am

Originally Posted by jo-ann (Post 11119165)

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn (Post 11119350)
We do not have the Levante in Ayamonte!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hJQ18S6aag

Chiclanagir Feb 8th 2014 4:32 am

Originally Posted by jo-ann (Post 11119163)
I have been on Movistar Fusion for the last year and it made no difference to the speed, when I speak to Telefonica they say I can only get 1 mb, normally if I am lucky I get 2.56. They have no intention of upgrading, it is very annoying when I pay the same price as everyone else but get such an inferior system. I am going to be looking at other options when my year is up at the end of April. Using Film on is very hit and miss with stop start going on it gets impossible.

That is terrible. The guy who installed my Smart DNS said he worked for Alternativa and that they are getting 10. Might be an idea to have a chat to them. I can give you his mobile if you want to have a chat.

Dxf Feb 8th 2014 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 11119438)
That is terrible. The guy who installed my Smart DNS said he worked for Alternativa and that they are getting 10. Might be an idea to have a chat to them. I can give you his mobile if you want to have a chat.

Hi chiclanagirl,
La Alternativa use a Wimax system over the airwaves; movistar use copper wires from poles or sometimes underground. If you use copper wires, then the distance from the distribution point has a bearing on the speed you can get.

Mitzyboy Feb 8th 2014 5:43 am

Wimax we had with aeromax was set at 2Mb, but we could have had 6 or more if we wanted. I was interrupted by bad weather from time to time unfortunately

tommy.irene Feb 8th 2014 6:53 am

1 Attachment(s)
If you need a new dish ,,here,s one..

lutonlad Feb 8th 2014 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 11119494)
Wimax we had with aeromax was set at 2Mb, but we could have had 6 or more if we wanted. I was interrupted by bad weather from time to time unfortunately

Agreed. Wimax works well most of the time. It is not as reliable as a landline but certainly cheaper.