British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Goodbye Sky TV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/goodbye-sky-tv-779691/)

BILL AND CLAIRE Dec 5th 2012 9:50 am

Goodbye Sky TV

Today we have lost Channel Five plus a few others By the 22nd of this month
we will have lost most of the free channels if not all,
Looks like the book club is going to busy,:confused:
If you pay for sky channels Ie sky one Sports film you will still get them but all free channels ( BBC ITV etc etc ) Will be gone forever:nod:

Uncle Buck Dec 5th 2012 3:25 pm

Re: Goodbye Sky TV

Originally Posted by BILL AND CLAIRE (Post 10416915)
If you pay for sky channels Ie sky one Sports film you will still get them but all free channels ( BBC ITV etc etc ) Will be gone forever:nod:

Is this because of the rumoured Satellite move or is your dish on the blink:rofl:.

Seriously though I hear that in order to keep receiving the free UK channels you need a 2 metre dish:eek:, the sort they land planes with! Anyone else having problems or knows of a solution to the problem?

MikeCol Dec 5th 2012 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Buck (Post 10417474)
Is this because of the rumoured Satellite move or is your dish on the blink:rofl:.

Seriously though I hear that in order to keep receiving the free UK channels you need a 2 metre dish:eek:, the sort they land planes with! Anyone else having problems or knows of a solution to the problem?

We have lost channel 5, 5* and 5 USA and so have most other people due to the move to a new satellite. Bryony

EsuriJohn Dec 5th 2012 5:06 pm

All our 5's have gone and the Anglia west on our SKY box.

BILL AND CLAIRE Dec 5th 2012 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by John & Kath (Post 10417624)
All our 5's have gone and the Anglia west on our SKY box.

Hi Jon.
Most of the regional channels will disappear over the next two weeks.Thank god Spanish TV is so good:frown:

EsuriJohn Dec 6th 2012 1:58 am

Originally Posted by BILL AND CLAIRE (Post 10417886)
Hi Jon.
Most of the regional channels will disappear over the next two weeks.Thank god Spanish TV is so good:frown:

We could not find the Barca match last night despite having CH 800 to 900 tuned with several being digital HD. I am sure I have found them before on 848 TVE HD and watched second half of a match. Nothing last night though.

Steve and Pat Dec 6th 2012 7:55 pm

Sounds like Derek Trotter!

cleverdic Dec 7th 2012 7:15 am

This is a big blow. UK Television is quite important in our apartment.

Reading elsewhere, it is not absolutely definite that the rest of the Free channels will move to Astra 2F and therefore not be picked up by the relatively smaller dish of 1.3m There is a small possibility that a lot of these channels will move to a new satellite Astra 2E which will be launched early next year. Even then, the narrower footprint is likely to be used. I think you will need a massive dish of 2.4m in order to get a good chance of getting BBC, ITV, Ch4 and CH5. We would not be able to fit a dish of this size on or near our apartment.

The people that watch these developments closely say that we will have a better idea of what is happening in the next week or so.

With all this in mind, I am planning for the worst and looking at alternatives. The clear option is to receive TV through the internet. Currently we get our broadband using an Orange mobile dongle. It is $35 per month but for our pattern of usage, it is a reasonable deal. This connection would not be suitable for IPTV.

We are therefore looking at re-installing a landline back into the apartment in order to get broadband. I've had an initial look around and I've come up with a Telefonica deal which looks very attractive. $24.90 + IVA. per month

This web page gives the detail.

http://www.telefonicainenglish.com/

However, I don't think this includes the monthly line rental. I can't find any mention of that on the page. Would anyone know if it is all inclusive and if not, typically what is the monthly line rental?

Domino Dec 7th 2012 7:42 am

Originally Posted by cleverdic (Post 10420768)
This is a big blow. UK Television is quite important in our apartment.

Reading elsewhere, it is not absolutely definite that the rest of the Free channels will move to Astra 2F and therefore not be picked up by the relatively smaller dish of 1.3m There is a small possibility that a lot of these channels will move to a new satellite Astra 2E which will be launched early next year. Even then, the narrower footprint is likely to be used. I think you will need a massive dish of 2.4m in order to get a good chance of getting BBC, ITV, Ch4 and CH5. We would not be able to fit a dish of this size on or near our apartment.

The people that watch these developments closely say that we will have a better idea of what is happening in the next week or so.

With all this in mind, I am planning for the worst and looking at alternatives. The clear option is to receive TV through the internet. Currently we get our broadband using an Orange mobile dongle. It is $35 per month but for our pattern of usage, it is a reasonable deal. This connection would not be suitable for IPTV.

We are therefore looking at re-installing a landline back into the apartment in order to get broadband. I've had an initial look around and I've come up with a Telefonica deal which looks very attractive. $24.90 + IVA. per month

This web page gives the detail.

However, I don't think this includes the monthly line rental. I can't find any mention of that on the page. Would anyone know if it is all inclusive and if not, typically what is the monthly line rental?

Surely you can get the services of Telefonica direct without having to pay a company to do it for you.? ? :confused:
Telefonica in English are generally a rip-off of Brits by Brits (?)

And there are a number of companies pushing deals at the moment so shopping around will prove beneficial

`

cleverdic Dec 7th 2012 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 10420790)
Surely you can get the services of Telefonica direct without having to pay a company to do it for you.? ? :confused:
Telefonica in English are generally a rip-off of Brits by Brits (?)

And there are a number of companies pushing deals at the moment so shopping around will prove beneficial

`

Thanks for that, I was a little suspicious. You're right, I need to study this option a little closer. The headline price on this website sucks you in though.

MikeCol Dec 7th 2012 1:26 pm

A useful read about satellite changes, advice seems to be to wait http://www.astra2.org/astra2.html

V.S Dec 7th 2012 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by John & Kath (Post 10418448)
We could not find the Barca match last night despite having CH 800 to 900 tuned with several being digital HD. I am sure I have found them before on 848 TVE HD and watched second half of a match. Nothing last night though.

Sometimes you can press the red button for other match options when you are on sky sports

MikeCol Dec 7th 2012 3:52 pm

You can also go to www.filmon.com we use this when we want to watch different progs i.e. Mike the football, me something more intelligent ;) Bryony

mikelincs Dec 7th 2012 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by cleverdic (Post 10420768)

For gods sake do NOT deal with telefonicainenglish, they have NOTHING to do with telefonica and are just a private firm cashing in on the telefonica name, deal direct with telefonica you will get faster and better service

cleverdic Dec 7th 2012 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10421644)
For gods sake do NOT deal with telefonicainenglish, they have NOTHING to do with telefonica and are just a private firm cashing in on the telefonica name, deal direct with telefonica you will get faster and better service

Message heard and understood. :thumbup: Clearly this crowd sets off alarm bells. Good to be forewarned.

cleverdic Dec 7th 2012 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by MikeCol (Post 10421635)
You can also go to www.filmon.com we use this when we want to watch different progs i.e. Mike the football, me something more intelligent ;) Bryony

Bryony, do you need to use any proxy or VPN tools like eg. Expat Shield to watch filmon.com in Spain ?

Right now, I was thinking along the lines of installing a Slingbox in the UK. The pro version has Freeview built in so that all you would need to do (in the UK) is to connect it to an aerial and the internet. No need to control other boxes etc.
This would overcome blocking problems eg. trying Iplayer from a Spanish IP address.

MikeCol Dec 7th 2012 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by cleverdic (Post 10421697)
Bryony, do you need to use any proxy or VPN tools like eg. Expat Shield to watch filmon.com in Spain ?

Right now, I was thinking along the lines of installing a Slingbox in the UK. The pro version has Freeview built in so that all you would need to do (in the UK) is to connect it to an aerial and the internet. No need to control other boxes etc.
This would overcome blocking problems eg. trying Iplayer from a Spanish IP address.

Hi, no you don't need anything. Just go to the website and log on and then click on UK TV programmes and then choose what you want to watch from the drop down list. SD reception is free but if you want to watch in HD you may need to take out a subscription. Regards Bryony

mikelincs Dec 7th 2012 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by cleverdic (Post 10421678)
Message heard and understood. :thumbup: Clearly this crowd sets off alarm bells. Good to be forewarned.

Lots of Brits arriving in Spain do find them and many use them initially, we did but pulled out well before getting involved in any financial way with them. We just dealt with Telefonica, initially through one of their shops, but then via the phone. We did find a number of people who had thought they were an official telefonica site, which we did before being warned, and had got ino a lot of problems.

megmet Dec 8th 2012 12:21 am

Originally Posted by MikeCol (Post 10421767)
Hi, no you don't need anything. Just go to the website and log on and then click on UK TV programmes and then choose what you want to watch from the drop down list. SD reception is free but if you want to watch in HD you may need to take out a subscription. Regards Bryony

Another thing that you can do using filmon.com is to connect your computer to your TV set via a cable using the VGA or HDMI socket.

amideislas Dec 8th 2012 7:10 am

Saw a €79 Android TV box at Leroy Merlin last week.

As my Android phone can receive and play this stuff, presumably the Android TV box would as well?

Seems to me a separate box would be a better choice than all the complication of running cables to your TV from a PC? Especially of the PC is in a different room?

MikeCol Dec 8th 2012 7:30 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 10422763)
Saw a €79 Android TV box at Leroy Merlin last week.

As my Android phone can receive and play this stuff, presumably the Android TV box would as well?

Seems to me a separate box would be a better choice than all the complication of running cables to your TV from a PC? Especially of the PC is in a different room?

Hi, filmon.com can also be viewed on your iPad, iPhone or android device. Bryony

cleverdic Dec 8th 2012 7:34 am

Originally Posted by megmet (Post 10422384)
Another thing that you can do using filmon.com is to connect your computer to your TV set via a cable using the VGA or HDMI socket.

Yes, I'm trying to work that end of the connection out. We have a laptop which has VGA out but not HDMI. I can connect by VGA but I need to work out the sound side. We would have to get a sound system with phono in plugs and connect it to the headphone socket of the laptop.

There are other options I am pursuing. One neat technical solution is to purchase an Android device something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MK802-Androi...4955233&sr=8-1

which would give me connection from a wireless router into the TV using HDMI.

Unfortunately I'm planning for someone who is not a techy so this might be too complicated if things go wrong.

jimenato Dec 8th 2012 10:18 am

Just to reinforce what others have said about telefonicainenglish.

Don't touch them with the proverbial barge pole. It is a scam and a complete rip-off. I have no idea why they are allowed to operate. They've been at it for years.

bobd22 Dec 8th 2012 11:16 am

Originally Posted by cleverdic (Post 10422786)
Yes, I'm trying to work that end of the connection out. We have a laptop which has VGA out but not HDMI. I can connect by VGA but I need to work out the sound side. We would have to get a sound system with phono in plugs and connect it to the headphone socket of the laptop.

There are other options I am pursuing. One neat technical solution is to purchase an Android device something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MK802-Androi...4955233&sr=8-1

which would give me connection from a wireless router into the TV using HDMI.

Unfortunately I'm planning for someone who is not a techy so this might be too complicated if things go wrong.

all you need to do is get a audio jack cable attach it to the pc audio out jack i.e. headphone socket and connect to the audio in socket on TV probably located near your VGA socket that's it. You can get the cables various lengths of ebay for couple of quid.

Fred R Dec 13th 2012 2:03 am

Originally Posted by BILL AND CLAIRE (Post 10416915)

Hi Bill, Algarve Daily News feature shows:

Changes to BBC satellite transponders in 2013, from Alix Pryde, Director, BBC Distribution

The quick answer is that, as a result of SES’s fleet replacement programme, BBC services will move in the second half of 2013 (SES operates the satellites).

In February 2012, SES retired Astra 2D and BBC services moved to a new temporary home on Astra 1N. Astra 1N is due to take up its permanent position in 2013 (19°East), so the BBC’s services will move to their new permanent home on Astra 2E (28.2°East) when that becomes operational. SES expects Astra 2E to launch in Q2 2013, so we currently expect to transition BBC services to it during summer 2013.

Some of you have also noticed that we commissioned a new transponder (which we call DSat8) in the autumn. It moved from its temporary home on Astra 1N to its permanent position on Astra 2F at the end of November 2012. DSat8 is still in a testing phase but in the coming months it will be used to broadcast BBC One Scotland HD and BBC One Wales HD as we complete the programme of providing all Nations programming in HD. We’ll be publishing the details of DSat8 on our satellite reception advice page when the services launch.

I hope that clarifies the timings of moves and also that the moves relate to the SES fleet replacement programme, rather than any BBC strategy to change its footprint. That said, the new transponders do have a slightly different footprint, so I’ll explain a bit about that, and why the changes are no cause for concern for the BBC in our requirement to ensure that the BBC’s domestic services are readily accessible to people living in the UK.

What impact will all this have for the viewer?

In all likelihood the move of BBC services from 1N to their new permanent homes will have no impact on UK households. Astra 2E and 2F have the same, tighter but slightly more powerful UK spot beams which means that UK households should get a slightly stronger signal. So if you happened to be on the edge of coverage, you will hopefully get more reliable reception.

The overspill of the BBC’s services will be reduced so viewers outside the UK will find it even harder to receive them. I know that this causes unhappiness to some of you living outside the UK. However, it is entirely appropriate because the BBC domestic services are for people living in the UK only.

For viewers outside the UK, BBC Worldwide offers a number of channels which are available in various territories. These include BBC Entertainment,BBC Knowledge, BBC Lifestyle, CBeebies along withBBC World News throughout Europe and the rest of the world.

I hope the detail above helps you to understand a bit more about the changes coming in the second half of 2013 and the reason for them. Finally, thank you to SES for the lovely pictures of Astra 2F.

Jon-Bxl Dec 30th 2012 7:14 am

Originally Posted by MikeCol (Post 10421635)

That was a great find - thanks Bryony....

I also found this on investigating further.

http://www.***********/how-does-it-work

err I cant paste the link it is tvexpat dot eu

It seems that you can get a connection for TV and ALSO iplayers from BBC and ITV... and you look like a UK internet user. Without using a proxy server, whatever that is!

Any feedback if this is a good idea, please?

Thanks
Jon

MikeCol Dec 30th 2012 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 10455152)
That was a great find - thanks Bryony....

I also found this on investigating further.

http://www.***********/how-does-it-work

err I cant paste the link it is tvexpat dot eu

It seems that you can get a connection for TV and ALSO iplayers from BBC and ITV... and you look like a UK internet user. Without using a proxy server, whatever that is!

Any feedback if this is a good idea, please?

Thanks
Jon

Hi Jon, thats sounds like a streaming service similar to the one I mentioned. We have in the past used a proxy server (Expats Shield) to view iplayer but because our pc is old and slow (a bit like us) it wasn't that good. We will give your find a try, thanks Bryony

Jon-Bxl Dec 30th 2012 10:14 am

Originally Posted by MikeCol (Post 10455212)
Hi Jon, thats sounds like a streaming service similar to the one I mentioned. We have in the past used a proxy server (Expats Shield) to view iplayer but because our pc is old and slow (a bit like us) it wasn't that good. We will give your find a try, thanks Bryony

Hi Bryony

Please can you let us know how it went?

I would love to have this sort of service when in Belgium. The filmon site is great as well - but iplayer would be better....

See you around CE - we are here...

Jon

bobd22 Dec 30th 2012 11:31 am

I found this site for films and TV don't know if it will work in Spain?

http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/

notacontrathinker Dec 30th 2012 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Fred R (Post 10430579)
Hi Bill, Algarve Daily News feature shows:

The overspill of the BBC’s services will be reduced so viewers outside the UK will find it even harder to receive them. I know that this causes unhappiness to some of you living outside the UK. However, it is entirely appropriate because the BBC domestic services are for people living in the UK only.

For viewers outside the UK, BBC Worldwide offers a number of channels which are available in various territories. These include BBC Entertainment,BBC Knowledge, BBC Lifestyle, CBeebies along withBBC World News throughout Europe and the rest of the world.

"I say Curruthers, says here the BBC wallahs are going to stop broadcasting to the Empire".

"What, all of it?".

"No, still going to broadcast to the CBeeBies".

"Remind me ?".

"Small tribe, up north, near Mombasa...".

Jon-Bxl Dec 31st 2012 7:19 am

Re: Goodbye Sky TV - Techie question please

A bit of a techie question:

I think I know what a proxy server is, but I wondered if it is possible to have your own 'proxy server'. I hear that the 'public' proxy servers can be slow, insecure and have ads etc etc.

Here's the requirement, this would be similar to watching iplayer from abroad I guess.

Belgian TV is available oline, BUT as soon as you log in from abroad you are blocked.

I have an old laptop - which works fine.

Is it possible to set it up (in Belgium) so that I control it from here. Meaning IT logs into Belgian TV and can get it fine as it is in Belgium. THEN it 'squirts the signal down the line' to my PC here in Spain.

Is this possible, please?

I would also need to switch it on from sleep, from abroad, as we wont be using it all the time, and it will automatically go to sleep after a few mins.

Is there a way to do this please?

Perhaps there is an inexpensive gadget that does this instead of doing my own proxy server??

Once I have it on my PC I just connect to the HDMI socket and can watch it full screen... on the telly

Thanks in advance for any ideas....

Jon

guesswork Dec 31st 2012 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 10456651)

I think I know what a proxy server is, but I wondered if it is possible to have your own 'proxy server'. I hear that the 'public' proxy servers can be slow, insecure and have ads etc etc.

Here's the requirement, this would be similar to watching iplayer from abroad I guess.

Belgian TV is available oline, BUT as soon as you log in from abroad you are blocked.

Is it possible to set it up (in Belgium) so that I control it from here. Meaning IT logs into Belgian TV and can get it fine as it is in Belgium. THEN it 'squirts the signal down the line' to my PC here in Spain.

I would also need to switch it on from sleep, from abroad, as we wont be using it all the time, and it will automatically go to sleep after a few mins.

Perhaps there is an inexpensive gadget that does this instead of doing my own proxy server??

Once I have it on my PC I just connect to the HDMI socket and can watch it full screen... on the telly

Jon

Hi Jon

I have not used this VPN but have a look at FAQ
http://www.tunnelbear.com/

Jon-Bxl Dec 31st 2012 7:49 am

Just by chance this just popped up in my inbox

http://www.dabs.com/products/western...m_content=ce00

Looks like a gadget that would do what I want..... but will have to check

Jon

EsuriJohn Dec 31st 2012 8:22 am

Perhaps there is an inexpensive gadget that does this instead of doing my own proxy server

There is a thing called Sling Box which acts as you suggest but no idea of cost.

Jon-Bxl Dec 31st 2012 8:39 am

Originally Posted by John & Kath (Post 10456706)
Perhaps there is an inexpensive gadget that does this instead of doing my own proxy server

There is a thing called Sling Box which acts as you suggest but no idea of cost.

Funny - I was just going to post on the slingbox after spending the morning on google....

Here is the info from amazon, scroll down to the details - it looks like the thing we need.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...d_i=B0043VNGO4

THANKS

Jon

BobD Dec 31st 2012 10:10 am

Hi Jon,

If I understand your requirement correctly, you can do this at no charge, and without the need to buy any additional equipment. From CE, you can log into your home PC, using a PC service called RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol).

You need to make this service available from your home PC (Start-Control Panel-Systems-Remote Settings-Allow Connections from... {Middle Button}). From your remote PC (i,e. at CE), you run the RDP Client (Start-All Programs-Accessories-Remote Desktop Connection), and enter the IP address of your home PC (you really need a Static IP Address for this).

You are then presented with the usual login and password page you get on your home PC. When you have finished, make sure to use the Log-Off option,(not Shutdown), and then you can use it again another day. For the serious techie Users out there, you can change the RDP port on your home PC to make it more secure, but this is a bit more involved.

I use this method every time I am at CE, to connect to my home machine, and have all the facilities available I usually enjoy at home.

Another option is to use a Program called Teamviewer, but this involves always leaving your home PC logged on. I think it is available FOC for non commercial use.

Happy New Year !

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 10456651)

Jon

Jon-Bxl Dec 31st 2012 10:14 am

Originally Posted by BobD (Post 10456798)
Hi Jon,

If I understand your requirement correctly, you can do this at no charge, and without the need to buy any additional equipment. From CE, you can log into your home PC, using a PC service called RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol).

You need to make this service available from your home PC (Start-Control Panel-Systems-Remote Settings-Allow Connections from... {Middle Button}). From your remote PC (i,e. at CE), you run the RDP Client (Start-All Programs-Accessories-Remote Desktop Connection), and enter the IP address of your home PC (you really need a Static IP Address for this).

You are then presented with the usual login and password page you get on your home PC. When you have finished, make sure to use the Log-Off option,(not Shutdown), and then you can use it again another day. For the serious techie Users out there, you can change the RDP port on your home PC to make it more secure, but this is a bit more involved.

I use this method every time I am at CE, to connect to my home machine, and have all the facilities available I usually enjoy at home.

Another option is to use a Program called Teamviewer, but this involves always leaving your home PC logged on. I think it is available FOC for non commercial use.

Happy New Year !

Wow Bob, this sounds great.... and relatively simple...

I'll try it when I am back in Belgium. You can find IP address easily http://www.howtofindmyipaddress.com/ Ive noticed mine changes each time I connect with my dongle over here .... I hope that the IP address of my home PC doesnt change (wireless broadband)

Happy New Year from CE....

Jon

Fred James Dec 31st 2012 5:41 pm

I can see some problems with these options.

The Western Digital box looks interesting but it is designed to stream content from the media files on your PC. It doesn't allow you to mirror the PC screen so having a TV programme showing on the PC will not allow you to stream it.

The Internet content that you do get is similar to what you get on a Smart TV or a box like the Apple TV. Unlike some Smart TVs it doesn't seem to offer a browser option.

As for devices like Slingbox or a remote connection you need to remember that upload speeds are often very much lower than download speeds so even if you have a fast download connection the remote device may be uploading at a much lower speed with the result that the quality may be very poor and the connection probably doesn't allow any buffering which is the usual method of improving the quality to avoid start stop reception. I use LogMeIn to connect to a number of remote computers and there is no way that could handle video.

The best option I have managed to try so far is Filmon via an app on the iPad using the Airplay wireless link via the Apple TV. For some reason the quality is much better than running it on the PC. It's about the same as their expensive HD option.

Also some options such as Sky Go don't allow HDMI output from a laptop and the iPad app does'nt allow Airplay.

It's a very complicated subject but there are lots of people trying to come up with an alternative to satellite TV. At least we have another few months to sort through the options but the one really limiting factor, if you want TV quality is your ADSL speed.

We need some real user reports - the ads suggest the you will get fantastic results for free - on a cable connection possibly but on a slow Spanish connection it is less likely.

tommy.irene Dec 31st 2012 7:07 pm

A lot of people are now using Blend for their TV here in the Canaries..

Blend Telecom

www.blend.es

Blend broadband & Telephone. Offering high speed internet and telephone connections to private customers and businesses.

Saxy Dec 31st 2012 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by tommy.irene (Post 10457380)
A lot of people are now using Blend for their TV here in the Canaries..

Blend Telecom

www.blend.es

Blend broadband & Telephone. Offering high speed internet and telephone connections to private customers and businesses.

Wishing you all a "HAPPY NEW YEAR"
Near Alicante, I use Europa.com for phone, internet (8MB) and TV, with excellent results 24/7. Check 'em out!
I'm on the outskirts of Sydney, Australia, at the moment and just to show what's possible, I have a download speed of 115MB :eek:
Can't wait to move here later in the year :)

John.