British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Goodbye Sky TV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/goodbye-sky-tv-779691/)

Saxy Apr 9th 2013 4:39 pm

Re: Goodbye Sky TV

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 10649379)
Does the recording option actually download the programme to your PC? In which case, like BBC iPlayer it would be better as speed is not an issue.

If it doesn't download it and the quality is better than the SD stream then it's probably for the same reason that the iPad app gives better quality - in either case, for reasons that are not immediately apparent.

The Internet seems to offer two extremes at the moment. You have the full HD quality of an iTunes film for about €4 rental and the relatively poor quality of "free" streamed media. What would be good would be the ability to download current TV programmes in full HD for a reasonable fee. You can get the older material via iTunes or Netfix but a bit more choice would be good.

It could be a big earner for the companies involved. Not everyone is trying to get it all for free - just look at the number of people paying up to £60/mth for Sky HD+

Fred all you have to do is, download FilmOn and register. Select the channel you want, and under the small screen, you will see two arrows (left & right), with a record button. Press the right hand arrow 'till the program you want to record appears, and click on the record button. Job Done!

Saxy Apr 9th 2013 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 10649415)
My money is on the lawyers who work for the real money, the main broadcasters. If the law is not on their side then technology will be , theodd virus ( sorry encryption ) will soontake care of the re brodcasters who fail to com into line.
Copywrite law covers almost every part of the media, the written word, music., electronic transmission will just require a few tweaks to existing legislation.

:)

EMR Apr 9th 2013 4:42 pm

The terms and conditions of NowTV state that you need a SKY ID. ?

tommy.irene Apr 9th 2013 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 10649246)
how much do you get paid for advertising them ??
if its worthwhile I might get myself a similar contract

Is there a law on here about giving people information about Free TV..

EMR Apr 9th 2013 7:35 pm

If it is a site that is at the very least questionable, then if not against the law it is morally dubious.

tommy.irene Apr 9th 2013 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 10649866)
If it is a site that is at the very least questionable, then if not against the law it is morally dubious.

Ah just like Sky TV.:thumbsup:

Fred James Apr 9th 2013 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Saxy (Post 10649447)
Fred all you have to do is, download FilmOn and register. Select the channel you want, and under the small screen, you will see two arrows (left & right), with a record button. Press the right hand arrow 'till the program you want to record appears, and click on the record button. Job Done!

Yes I know that but you only get a limited amount of time before you have to pay and I am not prepared to pay their exorbitant prices.

Fred James Apr 9th 2013 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 10649460)
The terms and conditions of NowTV state that you need a SKY ID. ?

Of course you need an ID or they wouldn't know who you are but you don't need to have an existing Sky subscription.

Fred James Apr 9th 2013 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by tommy.irene (Post 10649708)
Is there a law on here about giving people information about Free TV..

It depends on the legality of it.

The site rules do not allow links to illegal sites.

3. Links to Inappropriate Content
Links to adult content, pages with links to adult content, near adult content, warez, hate sites or messages describing anything against the law is not allowed and will be removed.

The jury is out on Internet streaming at the moment as it isn't clear exactly what sites are legal or not after the ECJ ruling and some sites may obtain permission from the rights holders.

Discussion of the really illegal stuff like card sharing systems is definitely not allowed.

Saxy Apr 10th 2013 5:14 am

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 10649937)
Yes I know that but you only get a limited amount of time before you have to pay and I am not prepared to pay their exorbitant prices.

You get 10 hours of free space, so you record, watch and delete.
That space is re-usable!!!!!!!!

Jon-Bxl Apr 10th 2013 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 10649965)
It depends on the legality of it.

The site rules do not allow links to illegal sites.

3. Links to Inappropriate Content
Links to adult content, pages with links to adult content, near adult content, warez, hate sites or messages describing anything against the law is not allowed and will be removed.

The jury is out on Internet streaming at the moment as it isn't clear exactly what sites are legal or not after the ECJ ruling and some sites may obtain permission from the rights holders.

Discussion of the really illegal stuff like card sharing systems is definitely not allowed.

Hi Fred I hope (and am sure) that this ruling also applies to your advertisers too, that give you money!

This was advertised on this forum : Watch live UK channels, anywhere in the world, direct to your TV!
http://www.ex-pat.tv/

It looks something like a slingbox, but they say no PC is needed... Looks like a couple of boxes at each end one side similar to Slingbox, and a converter at the other end that you plug your TV to.

For my slingbox, I connect my TV to the PC via HDMI and watch perfectly acceptable video full screen - wherever I am.

Can anyone confirm that

1: This is legal

2: If it a good product..... at 20 quid a month - in 4 months you have a slingbox - so I am even happier I got mine!

Unless I am missing something. More info on Slingbox see my previous posts on this thread.

Jon

Fred James Apr 10th 2013 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Saxy (Post 10650573)
You get 10 hours of free space, so you record, watch and delete.
That space is re-usable!!!!!!!!

That sounds like a better deal!

You didn't answer my question about where it stores the programme -as I said, if it is stored on the PC (like BBC iPlayer does) download speed is not so important.

EMR Apr 10th 2013 6:55 am

Is,nt Expat TV one of those who hides your location ???.
Do they have rights to broadcast UK TV ?

Saxy Apr 10th 2013 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 10650648)

You didn't answer my question about where it stores the programme -as I said, if it is stored on the PC (like BBC iPlayer does) download speed is not so important.

Try it and find out, that's part of the fun. Life can be full of surprises! :)

Jon-Bxl Apr 10th 2013 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 10650648)

Hi Fred

I see you've been on this thread since I posted 411 on expat-TV.

You didn't answer my question about the legality of this product 'you' (The BE Xpat forum) are advertising. I ask only as you are a moderator - and told us the rules recently - as part of your official capacity.

Thanks
Jon

tommy.irene Apr 10th 2013 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 10650599)
Hi Fred I hope (and am sure) that this ruling also applies to your advertisers too, that give you money!

This was advertised on this forum : Watch live UK channels, anywhere in the world, direct to your TV!
http://www.ex-pat.tv/

It looks something like a slingbox, but they say no PC is needed... Looks like a couple of boxes at each end one side similar to Slingbox, and a converter at the other end that you plug your TV to.

For my slingbox, I connect my TV to the PC via HDMI and watch perfectly acceptable video full screen - wherever I am.

Can anyone confirm that

1: This is legal

2: If it a good product..... at 20 quid a month - in 4 months you have a slingbox - so I am even happier I got mine!

Unless I am missing something. More info on Slingbox see my previous posts on this thread.

Jon

I have one of them and i pay €30 a month..Dont know if its legal..

tommy.irene Apr 10th 2013 9:53 am

2 Attachment(s)
This is my setup..1 internet 2 TV box 3 TV.

scrubbedexpat095 Apr 10th 2013 10:07 am

I'm not really involved in this discussion but did nobody see the news item about Fox and its attempt to stop a small start up stealing its signal
More details here ..http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-...ave-network-TV

Fred James Apr 10th 2013 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 10650739)
Hi Fred

I see you've been on this thread since I posted 411 on expat-TV.

You didn't answer my question about the legality of this product 'you' (The BE Xpat forum) are advertising. I ask only as you are a moderator - and told us the rules recently - as part of your official capacity.

Thanks
Jon

It's just another set top box that receives streaming TV over the Internet. There are loads of them about, all overpriced.

There is nothing illegal about the principle of streaming - it just depends on whether the providers of the material have permission to use it and I have no idea whether they have or not. To my knowledge there is nothing illegal about using it either.

Incidentally I am pretty sure that all these streams come from the same source and these companies just buy the access to the stream and resell it.

Until such time as they become proved to be illegal I can see no reason why they cant be discussed.

tommy.irene Apr 10th 2013 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 10651151)
It's just another set top box that receives streaming TV over the Internet. There are loads of them about, all overpriced.

There is nothing illegal about the principle of streaming - it just depends on whether the providers of the material have permission to use it and I have no idea whether they have or not. To my knowledge there is nothing illegal about using it either.

Incidentally I am pretty sure that all these streams come from the same source and these companies just buy the access to the stream and resell it.

Until such time as they become proved to be illegal I can see no reason why they cant be discussed.

Yes this thread is helping people to find internet TV that works..they switched us of in parts of the Canary Isles... It can happen to Spain too.

Domino Apr 10th 2013 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by mfh (Post 10650996)
I'm not really involved in this discussion but did nobody see the news item about Fox and its attempt to stop a small start up stealing its signal
More details here ..http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-...ave-network-TV

Fox is owned by News International who own Sky

The Big Four television networks -- ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX -- are once again upset over a new technology that they perceive as a threat to their business model. The offender this time is Aereo, a New York-based service that uses tiny antennas to allow subscribers to watch live broadcast television on their computers, or save the content to watch later.

After a federal appeals court in New York ruled on April 1 that Aereo does not violate copyright laws, some network officials are threatening extreme action. Chase Carey, the president and COO of News Corp., threatened to move Fox from a free broadcast to cable, and others are apparently thinking the same thing.
http://www.ibtimes.com/why-aereo-suc...tworks-1180821

I note you use the word "stealing" which is what all the heated discussion in the 4 or 5 other threads has been all about.
This isn't a case of the "little man" being squeezed out. It is a case of a little man stealing their transmissions and rebroadcasting it - at the moment, for free.
But the point is that as I have said on this subject here and elsewhere that the problem is that people are "stealing" then rebroadcasting it with an access charge/subscription to unsuspecting private individuals.

If Fox have a major turnround in their business plan then so will others follow, including Sky. They will pump their wealth into the same technology others are using against them to make sure they retain the IP they have put so much money into creating.

At the end of the day it will be the man in the street who will lose out with electronic boundaries ringfenced to stop this theft of IP.

`

EMR Apr 10th 2013 1:12 pm

There is probably a 20 year old nerd who lives at home, does not have a gilrfriend and lives on takeaway Pizza who is the initial Signal Stealer. He is not worried about money or how much others are making it is just being able to break into sites that intrigues him.

amideislas Apr 10th 2013 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 10651151)

We just bought an Android TV box for €69, and I have to say, it's a brilliant little appliance - there is an app for just about all the "internet TV" providers - legal or not.

But we have satellite, and the quality is dramatically better than any of the internet TV providers, so we don't really use "internet TV" (except for our own music, photos, and videos-copied-to-hard disk). But the other features the Android TV box offers are really great - especially for the price.

But illegal, it most certainly isn't.

Domino Apr 10th 2013 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 10651317)
There is probably a 20 year old nerd who lives at home, does not have a gilrfriend and lives on takeaway Pizza who is the initial Signal Stealer. He is not worried about money or how much others are making it is just being able to break into sites that intrigues him.

sounds a bit like some of the work I used to do for the Govt.
oops, now I will have to kill the lot of you
:rofl:

but I think many of the organisations are more sophisticated than that. you would need to be able to match the adverts to see where it is being taken from as there are regional variations in their insertion.

but then there was a big shakeout in the online music streaming arena due to startups who took several streams and mixed them to alter the play order.
But they weren't paying anything to the copyright holder for performing rights.

But then many expats couldn't care less about this either.
:frown:

BILL AND CLAIRE Jul 2nd 2013 11:40 am

Hi Just received THIS Text from Mark at SKY REALM.
Just letting you know that IF we lose BBC ITV etc etc We have
a fix.:) Its by Satellite. So no internet or subscription Needed
Unquote....
:thumbsup::starsmile::thumbsup::starsmile::thumbsu p:

Jon-Bxl Jul 2nd 2013 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by BILL AND CLAIRE (Post 10781217)
Unquote....

Youre going to start a whole new set of posts with this. :) :) When you have more details pls let us know... Im sure there will be a charge too so look forward to hearing more details (hopr its not internet by sat).

But good news if the details work...

Jon

cleverdic Jul 2nd 2013 1:03 pm

Unquote....

Hi,
I looked up Sky Realm and got this but suspect I'm a little off the mark. :eek: Can you advise what or who is Sky Realm? Thanks.

(ps. I am a little sceptical at the claim, by the way. :huh:)

cleverdic Jul 2nd 2013 1:26 pm

A major event happened yesterday which could delay the potential loss of channels in the Ayamonte region.

The satellite that the current BBC/ITV/Ch4 and other channels would be (probably) moved to, Astra 2E, was due to be launched in around 3 weeks time at the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan.

Unfortunately, a rocket launch has gone badly wrong causing chaos at this facility.
More details and dramatic pictures at the BBC

First thoughts are that this event will cause a 2-3 month delay in the implementation of any changes.

jjh Jul 2nd 2013 1:29 pm

Goodness me, no UK TV. What a sad state of affairs:amen:

Domino Jul 2nd 2013 2:50 pm

OK so there has been a problem at Baikonur resulting in the loss of 3 GPS satellites. This may well mean a lengthy delay in the SES satellite launch.

But the current satellite is still in place, still working and there should be no loss in the services currently being transmitted.

`

MikeJ Jul 2nd 2013 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 10781491)
OK so there has been a problem at Baikonur resulting in the loss of 3 GPS satellites. This may well mean a lengthy delay in the SES satellite launch.

But the current satellite is still in place, still working and there should be no loss in the services currently being transmitted.

`

Just out of interest, why should the loss of 3 Russian GPS satellites affect the launch of the SES satellite? Unless the rocket crashed back into the launch site.

cleverdic Jul 2nd 2013 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by MikeJ (Post 10781565)
Just out of interest, why should the loss of 3 Russian GPS satellites affect the launch of the SES satellite? Unless the rocket crashed back into the launch site.

Basically, that's exactly what happened dropping 500 tonnes of poisonous fuel over the launch site although I believe the rocket itself missed the site. Also, the authorities will want to establish what happened before commencing any future launches.

The Guy Jul 2nd 2013 4:10 pm

and there have been a few issues with some previous Proton rockets also...so they will want to check it out before they do any other launches.
There was debris all around the launch site / base, and so they have to clear that before anything else is done. The pad that 2E is scheduled to launch from was undamaged, but it is the toxic debris that is the concern.

Unquote....

I assume they mean they are using the "freeview backup feeds" from intelsat at 27.5 west - which may not be as reliable or a good alternative as they / you think.
These feeds are encrypted, so you will be hacking into them.
And it all depends on the availability of the "keys" to "unlock" the channels - when they last changed the keys people using this system could not use it for several weeks - much to their disappointment. And once it becomes "popular" allt hey have to do is to keep changing the keys at a regular pace - a pain for clients to keep putting in the codes - a 32 digit code is not nice to input each week ! or change to a more secure encryption...rendering the equipment useless.

EMR Jul 2nd 2013 4:11 pm

I saw the news on TV last night and did wonder what effect it could have.
Astra do have the alternative European launch site so lets no get too excited .

I do feel so sorry though for those publicly minded suppliers who are lining up with their " alternative m very reasonably priced, who know if it will work , packages.
Hoefully we have hard the last of Filmon etc etc for some time.

The Guy Jul 2nd 2013 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by cleverdic (Post 10781349)
First thoughts are that this event will cause a 2-3 month delay in the implementation of any changes.

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 10781601)
Astra do have the alternative European launch site so lets no get too excited .

I think if necessary they can use Arianne / French Guiana if 2E is really needed to be up their ASAP

BILL AND CLAIRE Jul 2nd 2013 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by cleverdic (Post 10781326)
Hi,
I looked up Sky Realm and got this but suspect I'm a little off the mark. :eek: Can you advise what or who is Sky Realm? Thanks.

(ps. I am a little sceptical at the claim, by the way. :huh:)

Sky Realm is a sky sat company which operates from Portugal and Spain and has done so for the past 10 years,With a name like Clever Dick you should know this or maybe you should change your name ??
Regards Bill, (my real name );)

Fred James Jul 2nd 2013 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by The Guy (Post 10781612)
I think if necessary they can use Arianne / French Guiana if 2E is really needed to be up their ASAP

And it's a very long way to ship the satellite so it can be launched from there, even assuming that there is a spare launch vehicle.

It's not like Easyjet!

Domino Jul 2nd 2013 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by The Guy (Post 10781612)

well they moved to USSR because it was cheaper..............
but then Ariane had its problems as well
:ohmy:
although this is probably covered by some clause in the contracts I would expect a wait of a week before they can give a positive statement of intent.
it isnt as if 2E is needed to watch goings on in Syria or something

`

cleverdic Jul 3rd 2013 6:52 am

Originally Posted by BILL AND CLAIRE (Post 10781845)
Sky Realm is a sky sat company which operates from Portugal and Spain and has done so for the past 10 years,With a name like Clever Dick you should know this or maybe you should change your name ??
Regards Bill, (my real name );)

Never heard of them. I'll have a chat with Satellite Steve when I'm next over.

Guess I'm notsocleverdic then :o

Actually, Dick is my real shortened name and I have no need to change it but for clarity, I will add my real real name as a signature.

Regards, Richard (my real name) :thumbup:

(ps. still sceptical about their claim!!)

Domino Jul 3rd 2013 7:03 am

how can someone be a "official Sky installer" when the Sky is a UK service only ??