Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Good knowledgeable advise needed!

Good knowledgeable advise needed!

Old Jan 17th 2007, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

hollos is a name known to allhollos is a name known to allhollos is a name known to allhollos is a name known to allhollos is a name known to allhollos is a name known to allhollos is a name known to allhollos is a name known to allhollos is a name known to allhollos is a name known to allhollos is a name known to all
Default Good knowledgeable advise needed!

Hi,
We have just agreed an offer on ahouse near Alicante, San Vicente to be exact and I now need some advise from experienced expats. Please take the time to reply to me as any advise could save me and my children hours of hard work. Thank you.

1-Horses...Does anyone keep horses in Spain or even the Alicante area? What do I need to be most aware of? Do you know of any good places to buy horses? Or not!!!!!!
Grazing, feed, shoeing etc.

2-Health- Am I best to go private? If so who are the best providers? Do my children get free health care?

3-Child benefit- Can I still get it if living in Spain?

4-House and contents insurance. Best suppliers. Worst suppliers. Are they tied to your mortgage?

5-Sky TV..Can I just litteraly bring my box over and plus it in?(we have dishes there)

6-International Schools in Alicante? Anyone been to them, know of them?

7-Baby groups, toddler groups in Alicante?

8-Utility costs? How much are you paying yearly for electricity and water?

9-Pets- who is the best company to bring a dog over with?

10-My husband will still be working in the UK, is it best to pay tax here in Spain or in the Uk?

Thank you
Jayne & Jon
Old Jan 17th 2007, 2:35 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good knowledgeable advise needed!

Not a lot required then. ?
Just reading through quickly, you will probably get some answers, but I feel a lot of these should of been sussed out before agreeing an offer on a house.
Surely you have been to the area and had a look round at the facilities ?
The best tax advice you will get is from the UK tax office website, and also the child benefit on the Social security site.
You might find info on here also.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

hollos is a name known to allhollos is a name known to allhollos is a name known to allhollos is a name known to allhollos is a name known to allhollos is a name known to allhollos is a name known to allhollos is a name known to allhollos is a name known to allhollos is a name known to allhollos is a name known to all

In reply to......

(Not a lot required then. ?
Just reading through quickly, you will probably get some answers, but I feel a lot of these should of been sussed out before agreeing an offer on a house.
Surely you have been to the area and had a look round at the facilities ?)

I find your tone and comments rude and very unfriendly. is this how you want this site to be?

Of course we have done extensive homework. We have lived in Spain , in the area, on and off for a year now. I was looking for friendly timesaving advise from people who are actually living it! I can read a thousand written reports by officials, I can visit the townhall but speaking to individuals who know the pitfalls is invaluable. Is that not what this site is about...support?

I am realy disappointed.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 3:30 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hollos
In reply to......

I find your tone and comments rude and very unfriendly. is this how you want this site to be?

Of course we have done extensive homework. We have lived in Spain , in the area, on and off for a year now. I was looking for friendly timesaving advise from people who are actually living it! I can read a thousand written reports by officials, I can visit the townhall but speaking to individuals who know the pitfalls is invaluable. Is that not what this site is about...support?

I am realy disappointed.
No JDR is not being unfriendly, but most of the things yoiu are asking are those that most people sort out BEFORE moving to a specific area. Health, well you are moving to Valencia so it's the same as the UK, you can go private, but you will be covered by the Valencian community health service anyway, but you do need to bring an E106 and get registered. Horses, well Spain is a very horse minded country, so shouldn't have to try too ahrd to get the info you want. Utilities, depends on the size of house and where you are, do you have gas as well as electric, are you living where your water is from a well etc. without that info it is very difficult to give info.
Sky TV, you will need a specific dish that will pick up sky, not sure if your box will work, but you are not really allowed to receive SKY in Spain, so if they know you have left the UK, i.e. you stop your subs, then they will switch your card off and it won't work, but you can buy them here, if you are in an area you can receive it. Why not look on the web site of the Costa Blanca News, lots of info there.
There have been many threads on the other things you mention, so i suggest you do a search of this site for information as well.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 4:16 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

In reply to......

I am realy disappointed.
I am being far from unfriendly, I am now gobsmacked by your bad attitude, it appears from this post that you should of tagged this post onto the beginning of your first post, then things would of been a little clearer and easier to answer.
I find it rude and dissapointing that after living in the area for a year and done nothing about your questions yourself, you expect to sit back and get everyone to do the work for you.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 4:23 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah good move, piss a mod off the second your on.

The horses issue i think that if you type in horses to the search bit at the top of the page you will come up with something, there was a thread a while back about them.
In fact the same could be said for all of your questions, most if not all have been covered already. Good luck!
Old Jan 17th 2007, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

OK I am not trying to p**s anyone of and I am not trying to get someone else do my work for me. We already know all the nitty gritty, the padron , residencia, school issues, as I said you can read up on all these things and get your solicitor and agents to advise you (and we have).
I am sorry that you mistook my posting for someone who may be doing it all that niavelly (?) all I wanted was friendly advise. We have good friends in the area both Spanish and English and they have all given us tips and advise, I was only hoping for the same here.

ie. Yes I tried Cam bank but they did this etc.
Its best to feed the horse oats rather than graze etc
My son goes to newton, its great etc. etc.

I didnt expect someone to patronise me. I have been reading this site for a long time and have been on otherr forums too and I still think your tone and insinuations were unpleasant and rash when you knew nothing of my situation and I presume by the fact that the person is a moderator he is a regular, and maybe you've seen it all and heard it all before, but this is my first time!

I shall try another forum.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 5:08 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Or you could calm down and ask again but without the attitude.

I wouldnt just feed your horse oats, not there, not unless they will be working hard.
Alfalfa is available and of exceptional quality.
I have yet to find a good quality web site that covers equine issues in Spain, but they are out there, if i can remember one i will post it.
I have always found JDR to be informative and helpful, if the advice they gave seamed hard dont forget that they hear questions all the time, you just ask them once, a simple observation does not an argument make.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 5:42 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
1-Horses...Does anyone keep horses in Spain or even the Alicante area? What do I need to be most aware of? Do you know of any good places to buy horses? Or not!!!!!!

Thank you
Jayne & Jon
I have friends who keep horses here, but not in the Alicante area though. A new set of shoes costs about 40 euros a time. They pay 160 euros a month for livery which includes all food, bedding, use of the arenas and facilities. That is for a fairly middle of the road livery centre. I´m sure you could pay less or more depending on where you were.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 5:45 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Do you know of any good places to buy horses? Jayne & Jon
If you are looking for a Spanish Thoroughbred (Pura Raza Española - the type you see in the Real Escuela in Jerez) I know several breeders and trainers.

Let me know if you are interested and I can pass on contact details.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 5:58 pm
---------

Nomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond repute

OK I am not trying to p**s anyone of and I am not trying to get someone else do my work for me. We already know all the nitty gritty, the padron , residencia, school issues, as I said you can read up on all these things and get your solicitor and agents to advise you (and we have).
I am sorry that you mistook my posting for someone who may be doing it all that niavelly (?) all I wanted was friendly advise. We have good friends in the area both Spanish and English and they have all given us tips and advise, I was only hoping for the same here.

ie. Yes I tried Cam bank but they did this etc.
Its best to feed the horse oats rather than graze etc
My son goes to newton, its great etc. etc.

I didnt expect someone to patronise me. I have been reading this site for a long time and have been on otherr forums too and I still think your tone and insinuations were unpleasant and rash when you knew nothing of my situation and I presume by the fact that the person is a moderator he is a regular, and maybe you've seen it all and heard it all before, but this is my first time!

I hope to God you dont get child benefit in Spain - it would just about destroy my faith in humanity!!
Old Jan 17th 2007, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

hrothgar is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Nomad_H
I hope to God you dont get child benefit in Spain - it would just about destroy my faith in humanity!!
p.s. love the avatar.

<

Last edited by hrothgar; Jan 17th 2007 at 6:24 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

hrothgar is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=hrothgar;4294901
p.s. love the avatar.[/QUOTE]

Tried to post a smiley and look what happened! Just a HTML link, and I don't seem to be able to edit it either. Managed to edit it out.

Last edited by hrothgar; Jan 17th 2007 at 6:25 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 6:59 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
We have just agreed an offer on ahouse near Alicante, San Vicente to be exact and I now need some advise from experienced expats. Please take the time to reply to me as any advise could save me and my children hours of hard work. Thank you.

2-Health- Am I best to go private? If so who are the best providers? Do my children get free health care?

3-Child benefit- Can I still get it if living in Spain?

4-House and contents insurance. Best suppliers. Worst suppliers. Are they tied to your mortgage?

5-Sky TV..Can I just litteraly bring my box over and plus it in?(we have dishes there)

6-International Schools in Alicante? Anyone been to them, know of them?

7-Baby groups, toddler groups in Alicante?

8-Utility costs? How much are you paying yearly for electricity and water?

9-Pets- who is the best company to bring a dog over with?

10-My husband will still be working in the UK, is it best to pay tax here in Spain or in the Uk?

Thank you
Jayne & Jon

For pets take a look at this link in the costa blanca news..... http://www.costablanca-news.com/classified/animal.htm
Old Jan 17th 2007, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

helenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant future

Hi Hollos

Some time ago somebody recommended www.jets4pets.com.

Helen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.