Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Global warming??

Global warming??

Old Apr 19th 2012, 6:32 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Global warming??

Exactly right Sujee - lies, damned lies and statistics.......
Old Apr 19th 2012, 7:54 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

The views expressed on this thread convince me that we are all doomed. But that's OK - I already knew it.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
OK well how about this from another person with a degree in chemistry, and yes I did go to university.

Fact : The fossil fuels that we are burning got their carbon from the carbon dioxide that was originally in the atmosphere, so we are only putting it back where it came from in the first place!
Pete.
If you have a degree in Chemistry then I'll eat my own leg

And if you do actually have a degree then it should be taken off you
Old Apr 19th 2012, 9:53 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
If you have a degree in Chemistry then I'll eat my own leg

And if you do actually have a degree then it should be taken off you
You're not qualified to make such a childish statement!

There are plenty of well known and eminent scientists who argue the "man made CO2 Armageddon" theory. You and the rest of the population can only ever know what you're being told by the media, who will give it their own bias.

In any case, the only way we'll know who is right is to wait for the outcome rather than argue about what it may or may not be

Jo xxx
Old Apr 19th 2012, 12:11 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
You're not qualified to make such a childish statement!

There are plenty of well known and eminent scientists who argue the "man made CO2 Armageddon" theory. You and the rest of the population can only ever know what you're being told by the media, who will give it their own bias.

In any case, the only way we'll know who is right is to wait for the outcome rather than argue about what it may or may not be

Jo xxx
Well jojo - you were the one who said that the science was simple - GCSE level you said? Perhaps you would like to explain in to us in terms of the science?
Old Apr 19th 2012, 12:57 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Ok how about this then:

The earth is big it will be bloody difficult to observe accurately and take all the casual factors into account (even if we knew what they all were).

There is no control group to contrast the influence of man and other animals with our observed bloomin big planet.

There is no effective way of telling what proportion (if any) of the current climate change is attributable to the plethora of casual factors, some good guesses out there but are they even in the right order of magnitude - who knows.

We can (and do) use computer models and statistical analysis to make informed guesses as to the effect might be and construct hypothesis as to what the effect might be for example 50m rise in water but we can't test the hypothesis effectively and therefore can only speculate rather than draw scientific conclusions.

Unless something changes, we only seem to have the impirical route (as Jo says wait and see) to see what the effect really is oh and you alarmists, the sceptics and us neutrals will all be long dead by then.

Using statistics and faux science you can construct convincing arguments to prove global warming will kill us all in the next 5 years, or to prove we are heading for an ice age, or indeed both! But this is a BA/MA argument not a BSC/MSc conclusion i.e. it is an academic construction of an argument to prove a point not a scientific QED.

At some stage then sun will probably fail to send us enough heat so we are all doomed anyway (unless a Vogon constructor fleet arrives in the interim)
Old Apr 19th 2012, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond repute

Now what the hell is going on at ‘Expats dot com, a debate about global warming!
The “Cricketman’’ is one, “Jimenato” his chum, the talk is certainly not boring!
We are told the end is nigh, that there’s trouble in the sky, but are you the one who believes,
Now I don’t doubt there is some truth about with the birds, the plants and the trees,

But the country's in a tizzy the MP’s are busy, taxing us right up to our ears,
Is this the way to do it, Nah, I think that they blew it, they’re not acting like our peers.
Spending our money on flats, booze and honey, wallowing at the trough like pigs,
Hiring a chauffeur, just to be your gofer, and living in rent-free digs!

If your car makes a fart or your bins fall apart, you get slapped on the wrist with a fine,
But Mr Li Chin and his friend Ho Min are both building bloody great mines,
Now my Carbon print for a overflowing bin, certainly ain’t that large,
But if I drive my car not very far, I’m slapped with a bloody great charge.

Now I’m not getting mad, but it makes me f###ing sad, when I see what is really going on,
The ones who steer the tiller, just make me ill and iller, cos I know its all a big con,
All they want is the extras, the glory, the cash, the perks that come with the work,
All led by a liar, a Bullingdon club liar, the mans turned out a right berk!

Some logic here is needed, common sense should be heeded, stop the ones at whose feet it doeth lie,
India and China, Pakistan, Asia Minor, all the countries who want us to die,
Because they all know, the same as us all, but don’t take it as , true , right and read,
So if they don’t slow down, our world will heat up, leaving us all shrivelled- up, burnt dead!

Now if you are a sucker, a fool or a chump one who believes in this crock load of crap,
I wish you fair well, good luck with your life, you may not be a foolish chap,
Just leave me alone, let me drive the car I want, cos no matter what I decide,
The worlds growing old, times running out, soon there'll be no place to hide.

Last edited by The Beast; Apr 19th 2012 at 1:01 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:12 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Well jojo - you were the one who said that the science was simple - GCSE level you said? Perhaps you would like to explain in to us in terms of the science?
Perhaps you would like to go back to page 2 and re-read what she did write.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:27 pm
FreeThinker

Perhaps jojo and Garbatellamike would like to argue it out between themselves as to whether it is simple 'classroom stuff - GCSE level" or it is too complicated or even - not - science. I certainly agree that it is not an exact science - there are too many variables for it to be so - but the vast majority of scientists in the field of climate research are in agreement.

My feeling is that we should ignore it and get on with our lives - but then I haven't got any kids and I'm only going to be around for another 30 years at most so I'm not worried.

We could indeed wait around to see what happens - that's what I would recommend and what's going to happen - if it's true it's too late to do anything anyway.

If the world goes tits up some way down the line the people who are around them will probably say "oh well - it would have happened anyway - there's nothing anyone could have done about it".

My views on whether it is happening or not are based on simple scientific fact - junior school stuff which says it could happen (that's not in dispute) and by the vast majority of scientists who are in agreement that it appears to be happening - they know more about it than anyone else and we have little else to go on.

I should therefore be a greeny treehugger but I'm not because I couldn't give a toss.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:29 pm
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by playamonte
Perhaps you would like to go back to page 2 and re-read what she did write.
I inferred from that that you didn't need a degree to understand the issues - it was GCSE level stuff. What was it supposed to mean?
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:31 pm
FreeThinker

@ The Beast; you don't actually know very much about this subject do you?
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:41 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

None of us do. thats the point, we only hear the sensationalised versions written by journalists with an agenda and its that agenda and serious lack of real proof that makes it all pointless - read that post by.Garbatellamike, it explains it perfectly - as does the Beasts poem (very good btw)! I'm not arguing and personally I dont care either way. I have kids, but whatever it is they think will happen wont happen in the next 100 years and I'm not gonna cry for the future generations who may well have bigger problems and solutions by then - or not????!!!

Jo xxx
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond repute

Not any more than anyone else on here from what I've read Jimenato....But then again, I'm in your camp.....I don't really give a hoot!
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:58 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

1: Perhaps jojo and Garbatellamike would like to argue it out between themselves as to whether it is simple 'classroom stuff

2: but the vast majority of scientists in the field of climate research are in agreement.

3: My feeling is that we should ignore it and get on with our lives
@1 thanks you, but no, Jo and I seem to be broadly inagreement

@2 the vast majority of people with a vested interest (need for research funds) are in agreement that they need to keep researching it and to generate momentum using public opinion - what a shock
I have to say this is a bit like all the rich lawyers in the House of Lords complaining that reducing funds for legal aid to make them and other lawyers rich, is outrageous

@3 I am in your gang on this one
Old Apr 19th 2012, 2:01 pm
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
None of us do. thats the point, we only hear the sensationalised versions written by journalists with an agenda and its that agenda and serious lack of real proof that makes it all pointless - read that post by.Garbatellamike, it explains it perfectly - as does the Beasts poem (very good btw)! I'm not arguing and personally I dont care either way. I have kids, but whatever it is they think will happen wont happen in the next 100 years and I'm not gonna cry for the future generations who may well have bigger problems and solutions by then - or not????!!!

Jo xxx
we only hear the sensationalised versions written by journalists with an agenda
That's just not true although I suppose it might be all you hear about it...

What opened my eyes to The Beast's (and not only his) ignorance on the subject was the OP. I am assuming that his final line (Global warming my arse!) was to indicate that he believed the weather phenomenon he had described gave the lie to Global Warming (why else would he have added it?). It is, however, completely irrelevant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.