Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Getting rid of accumalated stuff

Getting rid of accumalated stuff

Old Mar 9th 2011, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting rid of accumalated stuff

Any information on second hand markets or car boot sales on the Costa Brava?

Thanks in anticipation
Old Mar 9th 2011, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

alig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Getting rid of accumalated stuff

Sorry, don't know of actual markets that you go to, I'm sure someone else will be along to help you with that. However, you might get rid of some things through segundamano.es if you can manage online listings.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Beast
Any information on second hand markets or car boot sales on the Costa Brava?

Thanks in anticipation
I think the further you go up the east coast the less chance of finding a really good carboot sale.

None around here and any rastro is merely a meeting place.

Theres a massive gap in the 2nd hand market.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond repute

From my limited experience of the spanish as a people they have nothing secondhand to pass on as they sell houses complete with furniture and anything else they use till only fit for firewood or dis assembling for useful parts then residue goes to the bins. Any market I have seen, most of the items are not fit for much if anything at all. I think the ex pats are the ones that want second hand markets.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
From my limited experience of the spanish as a people they have nothing secondhand to pass on as they sell houses complete with furniture and anything else they use till only fit for firewood.
OK you must live in a very poor rural area

My experience is anything of worth will be passed along the family for free. And anything else will be thrown away.

The segundamano site has been a big success though so maybe times are changing.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 9:02 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

My experience is anything of worth will be passed along the family for free. And anything else will be thrown away.

Second hand stuff is not usually sold as you say, visitors to the costas from other parts of Spain are quite surprised by carboot sales.

Most dont really like them, but think that the secondhand paperbacks is a good thing, and would buy them if they could when they go home. As there are huge savings and they would read a lot more if they could get books for 1euro each.

As for clothes, a reall no no.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond reputeThe Capitans Wench has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

Your assumption of where I live is way of the mark, it is neither poor nor rural.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 9:39 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

There are as many Spaniards as Marocs and Brits at the Torrimollinos car boot on Sundays.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 9:46 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
There are as many Spaniards as Marocs and Brits at the Torrimollinos car boot on Sundays.
If the Spanish love car boot sales as much as the Brits then why havent they caught on in other parts of Spain where there are no British.

I dont know how long ago it was when car boot sales started in the uk but about 20ish, I think, well, the Spanish would have started them by now if they were really interested, I suppose.

But they havent....so they may attract Spanish visitors, but they can take them or leave them...
Old Mar 9th 2011, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JLFS
If the Spanish love car boot sales as much as the Brits then why havent they caught on in other parts of Spain where there are no British.
Selling in Spain is much more regulated than UK. AFAIK sellers need to be registered autonomo and/or have a licence ambulantorio (spelling?)
I remember instances of cops raiding a car boot event in a field near Lliria several arrests and fines given and site closed permanantly. When I lived in France same happened and English woman and kid chucked in cells.

Apart from that and as far as my Spanish friends tell me they think its unlucky to bring a strangers second hand goods into their home.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 10:21 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Selling in Spain is much more regulated than UK. AFAIK sellers need to be registered autonomo and/or have a licence ambulantorio (spelling?)
I remember instances of cops raiding a car boot event in a field near Lliria several arrests and fines given and site closed permanantly. When I lived in France same happened and English woman and kid chucked in cells.

Apart from that and as far as my Spanish friends tell me they think its unlucky to bring a strangers second hand goods into their home.
That could be a reason for no car boot sales, I have no idea for sure.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 11:11 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I recall that one, and another in the area being shut down.
Seems they hit the ones the Brits use the hardest,... trouble was some stalls were selling new stuff as well as used, and the usual bunch of Africans were there with counterfeit goods.
They had a fairly clever sales scam, so it was difficult for the cops to nail them down.
There's a few very small local ones keep coming and going around here, but not a great deal of stuff there. They seem to be more of a social meeting point than anything else.
Used to be a cracking good one just out of Benidorm towards Aldea, but I don't know if its still going at present.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:10 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Carboots are for second hand stuff and you don`t need anything but the pitch fee, at markets you need proper licence etc.

Carboots started around 1973 in the UK, we used to run one for the local school till they decided the playground was not insured for it, the cost would of been more than the takings. ;-))
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Free enterprise dose not exist in Spain hence the economy is nose diving at a frightening rate
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jdr
Carboots are for second hand stuff and you don`t need anything but the pitch fee, at markets you need proper licence etc.

Maybe in the UK but not in Spain or parts of Spain.

Apart from the reasons already mentioned I read that the Spanish Police were concerned that goods offered as second hand were actually stolen goods.

Anyhow its all academic because the car boot concept has not caught on in Spain nor many other countries come to think of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.