Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Generators in Chiclana

Generators in Chiclana

Old Mar 5th 2007, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

steve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to all
Default Re: Generators in Chiclana

Get on e-bay in UK there are a number of companies that will send to spain cost is usually around £150 to £200 but that still works out cheaper than buying one in spain. I've looked into this as i'm in the same predicament as yourself

as previous stated, scot has an agent in the area & you can get a bank of batteries & an inverter for around 5K euros i think might even be cheaper now with all the work in the area

here are a few available on spanish e-bay

http://search.ebay.es/diesel-generad...lQ20generators

Last edited by steve in pago; Mar 5th 2007 at 11:37 am.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

sonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz
www.energiass.com are carrying out a series of installations for residents in the Chiclana area, following the recent spate of problems,

Ring Scot Walker on 0034 964 157 293, he is up to speed on what is required and supplying Generator and Battery solutions with Solar panels if required.
Living in Spain the idea is to spend much of the time outdoors, ie: in the garden-I realise the generator would be in some kind of housing, but as this generator would possibley be running for some 6-8 hours per day wouldn't the noise from it disturb one's neighbours, as many of the new properties are build on plots of approximately 500 to 800 metres?
Old Mar 5th 2007, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

mitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Big Pete
i dont understand ..why u need one ??

Is there a problem with supplies in Spain ? is it likely that i could be halfway through watching the classic " Trout Fishing from your armchair " and the power goes off ?..
If you buy a house in Chiclana its nearly a essential!!!!
Old Mar 5th 2007, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

mitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by weemac
Very long story you need to go back and stroll through the links and you will find that there are quite a lot of expats in the Cadiz area without electricity as they have bought legally property that is deemed by the local council to be illegal

Some 15000 people allledgedly live illegally and some 3000 + without electricity.

Be aware!
I was told by a respected lawyer and I hasten to add NOT one from Chiclana that there are 30,000 illegal properties in Chiclana
Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sonnyc
Living in Spain the idea is to spend much of the time outdoors, ie: in the garden-I realise the generator would be in some kind of housing, but as this generator would possibley be running for some 6-8 hours per day wouldn't the noise from it disturb one's neighbours, as many of the new properties are build on plots of approximately 500 to 800 metres?
You will find in this neck of the woods that most plot sizes for new properties are now under 500. The last one I heard about was 300
Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

weemac is an unknown quantity at this point

Nose lifted from the grindstone of work, bad weather etc.

I will look at cadiz.biz thanks.

Every other neighbours has a geni running of some description the difference is that I would like one in a deafened housing to make it a bit quieter I suppose. The petrol one really is LOUD!

Our neighbour is running a very quiet diesel geni in its own brick housing that any train enthusiast would be proud of!

many thanks for your help and may thanks for advising that my house may have been knocked down ....aarrgghh!!
Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:43 pm
Banned

Douglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really nice

Originally Posted by weemac
Nose lifted from the grindstone of work, bad weather etc.

I will look at cadiz.biz thanks.

Every other neighbours has a geni running of some description the difference is that I would like one in a deafened housing to make it a bit quieter I suppose. The petrol one really is LOUD!

Our neighbour is running a very quiet diesel geni in its own brick housing that any train enthusiast would be proud of!

many thanks for your help and may thanks for advising that my house may have been knocked down ....aarrgghh!!
Dont worry you still own the land,just put a caravan on it just like North Berwick.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Douglas jack
Dont worry you still own the land,just put a caravan on it just like North Berwick.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news re the caravan but it all depends on what colour our wonderful highly accountable council have classed the land as to what you can do with it!
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by steve in pago
Get on e-bay in UK there are a number of companies that will send to spain cost is usually around £150 to £200 but that still works out cheaper than buying one in spain. I've looked into this as i'm in the same predicament as yourself

as previous stated, scot has an agent in the area & you can get a bank of batteries & an inverter for around 5K euros i think might even be cheaper now with all the work in the area

here are a few available on spanish e-bay

http://search.ebay.es/diesel-generad...lQ20generators
I wouldn't advise buying gennies off E-bay, unless it is a seller who can guarantee and support with spares and service if necessary, This all costs extra money and therefore why you will need to pay a bit more! also shipping costs will be in the region of £100 to UK if the unit has to go back under guarantee.
Silent generators, Silence is mostly a technical definition in these cases, and refer to something like 70dba at 7 meters, which is quieter but not silent, You would have to go to the super silent range to get something that is meaningful,
However there are lots of things you can do to dumb down the noise,
IE put at back of house, with outward open to trees or similar, Leylandi types are very thick and provide excellent insulation.
Dont buy a unit that is non diesel, a few benefits here, they are cheaper to run and you may be able to qualify for Red diesel, which is currently about 60C per litre. The expected life of a diesel unit is far in excess of petrol units.
Ensure you get electric start and preferably with an Automatic electronic voltage regulator, ( these will automatically manage the voltage output and help protect your electronics as it will prevent huge jumps in voltage, and not allow power on till the unit is up to speed, producing a stable output.
If you are going to buy an inverter and battery system to reduce genny run time, ensure that you do your homework and the inverter is a quality brand, pure sine wave unit, (the modified sine wave could again kill electronics in the house ,IE SKY BOX, new plasma TV). get an inverter with a high current rated bypass switch ,so that when you want to do the washing etc, youcan just switch the genny on and the inverter will switch over and allow higher current as required. Ensure that your genny is large enuff to run the washingmachine and some other bits with enough left to charge your batteries, this again will save running costs, as the batteries can be charged at the same time as you do the heavy electric load chores, again reducing running time.
Buying the 2.5KW from Leroy Merlin is a false economy.. a good 5KVA silent runner, diesel unit with AVR will be about 2500€ and about 5 times as good.

Last edited by Solarwhizz; Mar 5th 2007 at 8:40 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Perfect Solarwhizz just what I wanted to know. If i am going down the route of inverter and batteries then I will call Scot without fail. He has been spot on with his quotes and info.

I just don't want to go the whole hog and find that we get two wires shoved into the back of the house within 3 months or so.

Very frustrating for me but worse for those living with it every day.

Off to leroy merlin on next visit then.

Caravan, North Berwick?? Far too warm around there!! Rdioactive fallout from the power station at Torness fumes from Portobello station, the smell of Kirkcaldy linoleum plant over the water!! I'll bring a tent.

many thanks
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:47 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't advise buying gennies off E-bay, unless it is a seller who can guarantee and support with spares and service if necessary, This all costs extra money and therefore why you will need to pay a bit more! also shipping costs will be in the region of £100 to UK if the unit has to go back under guarantee.
Silent generators, Silence is mostly a technical definition in these cases, and refer to something like 70dba at 7 meters, which is quieter but not silent, You would have to go to the super silent range to get something that is meaningful,
IE put at back of house, with outward open to trees or similar, Leylandi types are very thick and provide excellent insulation.
Dont buy a unit that is non diesel, a few benefits here, they are cheaper to run and you may be able to qualify for Red diesel, which is currently about 60C per litre. The expected life of a diesel unit is far in excess of petrol units.
Ensure you get electric start and preferably with an Automatic electronic voltage regulator, ( these will automatically manage the voltage output and help protect your electronics as it will prevent huge jumps in voltage, and not allow power on till the unit is up to speed, producing a stable output.
If you are going to buy an inverter and battery system to reduce genny run time, ensure that you do your homework and the inverter is a quality brand, pure sine wave unit, (the modified sine wave could again kill electronics in the house ,IE SKY BOX, new plasma TV). get an inverter with a high current rated bypass switch ,so that when you want to do the washing etc, youcan just switch the genny on and the inverter will switch over and allow higher current as required. Ensure that your genny is large enuff to run the washingmachine and some other bits with enough left to charge your batteries, this again will save running costs, as the batteries can be charged at the same time as you do the heavy electric load chores, again reducing running time.
Buying the 2.5KW from Leroy Merlin is a false economy.. a good 5KVA silent runner, diesel unit with AVR will be about 2500€ and about 5 times as good.
flippin heck , he knows his stuff
Old Mar 6th 2007, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

steve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to all

Totally agree with all above but you can still get a decent geni if you do some research on the net & use a company that carry spares etc, you will also find that most geni's only come with a short gaurantee usually 6months on certain bits of the it.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by steve in pago
Totally agree with all above but you can still get a decent geni if you do some research on the net & use a company that carry spares etc, you will also find that most geni's only come with a short gaurantee usually 6months on certain bits of the it.
HMMMMM????
Old Mar 9th 2007, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

hmmmm....quite right!

been away for a few days

thank you for your advice

cheers fi jockland