Gas conversion

Old Nov 7th 2012, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Uncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gas conversion

Has anyone changed from gas supply to bottle supply. We pay a standing charge every 2 months even when we are not there just for the boiler. Works out at around 25-30 euros per 2 months (I think) so a bottle option would be much cheaper for us even if we keep a spare bottle. We even have room on the terrace next to the utility room to build a little cupboard for the bottle in use and a spare. I guess it would have to be done by a qualified person and signed off as safe?
Old Nov 8th 2012, 6:56 am
MEL & JOHN

MEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gas conversion

Can't give you an answer BUT seems like a good idea - the standing charges for the utilities really grieve me...grrrr !
Old Nov 8th 2012, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Gas conversion

Originally Posted by Uncle Buck
Has anyone changed from gas supply to bottle supply. We pay a standing charge every 2 months even when we are not there just for the boiler. Works out at around 25-30 euros per 2 months (I think) so a bottle option would be much cheaper for us even if we keep a spare bottle. We even have room on the terrace next to the utility room to build a little cupboard for the bottle in use and a spare. I guess it would have to be done by a qualified person and signed off as safe?
Yes the gas safety is just as strict in Spain as in uk. The bottles can be bought first time at the gas shop downtown together with a regulator. If you will have any distance to carry at Esuri go for the silver bottles much lighter. A gas fitter can then fit it all together to supply your hob. The burners on the hob should be checked for compatibility with the gas in your cylinder it may be different from the mains supply butane/ propane.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

mark donna is an unknown quantity at this point

i know a few townhouses have taken the gas out and put in an electric immersion heater, the new ones keep the water hot for up to 2 days if used conservatively it is worth thinking about if you are not there often or if you have short stopovers, the heater is placed were the boiler once was and does not look out of place.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 10:46 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark donna
i know a few townhouses have taken the gas out and put in an electric immersion heater, the new ones keep the water hot for up to 2 days if used conservatively it is worth thinking about if you are not there often or if you have short stopovers, the heater is placed were the boiler once was and does not look out of place.
We did the reverse. Took out the electric boiler and fitted a gas boiler. It only uses gas as and when hot water is required.

As one draws hot water from a cylider, it gets topped up with cold
Old Nov 8th 2012, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
We did the reverse. Took out the electric boiler and fitted a gas boiler. It only uses gas as and when hot water is required.

As one draws hot water from a cylider, it gets topped up with cold
However, with mains gas there is a standing charge and with electricity you can switch it off when you're not there reducing your costs.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Uncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Buck has a reputation beyond repute

Great info. Swapping out to an electric emersion may be a better idea than the Gas bottles. Is there anyone out there who has had this done and knows roughly what the costs were and who can do it?
Old Nov 8th 2012, 10:56 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
However, with mains gas there is a standing charge and with electricity you can switch it off when you're not there reducing your costs.
I use bottled gas.

Last edited by missile; Nov 8th 2012 at 10:59 am.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mark donna
Does the emerson heater mean that there is no hot water on demand, i.e. you have to heat it in advance. The gas option provides hot water as and when you need it, so it has it's benefits I suppose.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 7:45 pm
Started off with nothing

That was my logic. There are pros and cons.
You should also consider the size of the cylinder. If you have a family who all want to have a shower in the morning, you may find you do not have enough hot water.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Hi all and thanks for your info so far. Does anyone know somebody or a company that could convert us from mains to bottled gas. We only have the boiler to connect so it should be a pretty simple job (I would have thought). Just need a qualified person to do it?
Old Nov 18th 2012, 2:22 pm
Started off with nothing

WTF are you?
I know one I would recommend on CB, Ambefeugo.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by missile
WTF are you?
I know one I would recommend on CB, Ambefeugo.
I bit of a harsh reply for a straight forward question. As this is under the Ayamonte thread, I am suprised you need to ask?

Last edited by Uncle Buck; Nov 18th 2012 at 2:53 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Lloyd2012 is a jewel in the roughLloyd2012 is a jewel in the roughLloyd2012 is a jewel in the roughLloyd2012 is a jewel in the rough

The first thing I did when I bought in CE last year was to change from the mains to bottled. I got a local guy who did a very tidy job. New pipes , jets and yew cylinders also. Saves us a fortune from the standing charges.
Old Nov 18th 2012, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lloyd2012
The first thing I did when I bought in CE last year was to change from the mains to bottled. I got a local guy who did a very tidy job. New pipes , jets and yew cylinders also. Saves us a fortune from the standing charges.
Sounds like just what I am after, would you happen to have his details. Could you PM any info you have?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.