Freeview

Old Nov 22nd 2012, 6:36 am
njf
Forum Regular

njf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Freeview

Originally Posted by njf
Many thanks, The Guy. I also had a helpful and quick response from Astrill to a ticket I raised with them.

May I pick your brains a bit more?

I already have a Sky HD 1Tb box I brought with us when we moved to Spain a couple of months ago. It connects OK to the internet but as soon as I try to view or download something from Sky on Demand, it says Failed. I assume it's because it sees it is connected to a non-UK ISP. Is that right?

I am planning on getting an Asus RT-N16, which is recommended by Astrill and seems quite reasonable at Amazon.es, and connecting it via ethernet to my existing Asus modem/router. I will put DD-WRT and OpenVPN on the N16 and then connect my Sky box via ethernet to the N16. With that setup should I be able to use Sky on Demand OK?

Thanks for your help.

Norman
This is what I posted earlier and The Guy was very helpful in responding. Unfortunately, I still have a problem and hope that he or Fred or someone else may be ale to help me.

I got the RT-N16 and have configured it on a separate subnet from my modem/router as that is what Astrill told me to do.

If I connect a PC to the modem/router, BBC iPlayer will not let me watch TV - that is as I expect.

If I connect the PC to the RT-N16 which now has Tomato and Astrill on it, I can watch BBC iPlayer. So OpenVPN must be working.

However, if I connect my SkyHD box to the RT-N16 and configure it to that subnet 192.168.2.*, it shows Local Connection as OK but Service Connection as Fail and On Demand will not work. If I connect the Sky box back to the modem/router on 192.168.1.*, both Local and Service Connections show OK but, of course, I cannot download because I am on my Spanish ISP. That suggests it is not a problem at Sky's server end but some configuration on the Tomato router.

I have been trying to sort this for 2 days now and am getting very frustrated.

Any ideas or clues, please?
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 6:51 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njf
I have been trying to sort this for 2 days now and am getting very frustrated.

Any ideas or clues, please?
Are you a Sky subscriber?
Has your account been activated for Anytime+ / On Demand?

Also, my sky+hd box is set for automatic, no need for manual configuration, and it works fine
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Loco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond repute
Default TV

We have had a 1 metre dish aimed at Astra 2ABD for years.
Suddenly we are getting BBC 1,2 ITV, Ch.4, Ch.5, 5USA, Pick, Challenge etc. either via Astra or Eurobird 1 or both.
What's happened ?
How long will it last ?
Any info would be welcome.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 12:20 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

BBC 1,2 ITV, Ch.4, Ch.5, 5USA have been available "free to air" on small dishes in spain since Feb this year, when they move from Atsra 2d (that required a big dish) to the temporary 1n, whose reception required a 1m dish in Spain.

These channels are expected to move to their permanent home astra 2f, in the next few days (so much for the "bbc confirmed 1st november" mentioned by a poster a month or so ago ) - whose reception and requried dish size is guesswork until it happens.

Pick was "free to view" and requried a sky card to view it. it has been "free to air" and not needed a card since middle of this year.
Challenge was "subscrioption" and requried a sky card and subscription to view it. it has been "free to air" and not needed a card since middle of this year.
No idea if these channels being free is permanent or a temporary tease....
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Loco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Guy
BBC 1,2 ITV, Ch.4, Ch.5, 5USA have been available "free to air" on small dishes in spain since Feb this year, when they move from Atsra 2d (that required a big dish) to the temporary 1n, whose reception required a 1m dish in Spain.

These channels are expected to move to their permanent home astra 2f, in the next few days (so much for the "bbc confirmed 1st november" mentioned by a poster a month or so ago ) - whose reception and requried dish size is guesswork until it happens.

Pick was "free to view" and requried a sky card to view it. it has been "free to air" and not needed a card since middle of this year.
Challenge was "subscrioption" and requried a sky card and subscription to view it. it has been "free to air" and not needed a card since middle of this year.
No idea if these channels being free is permanent or a temporary tease....
Thank you.
But, you do surprise me. I generally have to re-scan for channels every few months to retain something watchable and I found a few ITV channels earlier this year - which were intermittently watchable - but nothing like the selection I have now. So I'm amazed if all this has been available since February.
Hey-ho ! Long may it continue - but I doubt it !
Old Nov 24th 2012, 3:21 pm
njf
Forum Regular

njf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Guy
Are you a Sky subscriber?
Has your account been activated for Anytime+ / On Demand?

Also, my sky+hd box is set for automatic, no need for manual configuration, and it works fine
Thanks again, The Guy. I finally have it working and I hope it stays working. I changed a couple of settings for OpenVPN on my router by luck and Sky On Demand suddenly showed 'OK'.

I am thinking of replacing my old TV with one of the new good value Panasonic Vieras TX-L37E5E which will connect to my broadband router. Good value at Amazon.es. As I will be able to select a US server on the router, would I be able to get US Netflix direct on the TV or does it depend on the TV firmware? I have experimented on my computer and it does allow me to go to Netflix US.