Freeview

Old Nov 13th 2012, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of
Default Re: Freeview

Well I would like a choice of spanish channels as I am able to follow some programmes ok.I would like local news etc
I have satilite TV which I have loads of rubbish English channels/ tease me tease me / and 2 rate series and films.
I had the TV chappie out to look at my set and I also have a booster still minimal spanish programmes The Spanish television man who has a very good reputation for being honest and trustworthy told me I should have about 40 channels but I have 7 only.
Any advise folks???????????

Last edited by DENISE WALTERS; Nov 13th 2012 at 7:50 am. Reason: add
Old Nov 13th 2012, 8:17 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saxy
HD version of FilmOn is not free, but it's not expensive either, and you can download the programs to your hard drive for viewing later.
I've just bought a new TV that's 1080p, with a refresh rate of 2.1. Wow, fantastic!!!

John
So is the download option only available on the paid HD version?

How do you find the quality on your new HDTV compared to "proper" HD programmes?
Old Nov 13th 2012, 8:23 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DENISE WALTERS
I had the TV chappie out to look at my set and I also have a booster still minimal spanish programmes The Spanish television man who has a very good reputation for being honest and trustworthy told me I should have about 40 channels but I have 7 only.
Any advise folks???????????
Your lack of channels can be down to a number of things:
old aerial
aerial not on the correct polarisation (ie "wings" are left and right, ratherh than top or bottom)
your "booster" is not working - ideally a masthead amplfier needs to be installed as close to the aerial as possible, and the power supply installed inside.
poor cabling / too many "splitters"
you are in an are that has very weak reception
your tdt receiver is naff.

why not get the Spanish TV man with a good reputation to have a look at it rather than your "TV chappie"...the latter doe snot seem to be doing a good job!
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

Thanks Guy for your reply
It could be a number of things then ? MMMM
I was hoping for a easy solution
I asked the spanish TV man and he said what I can make out
.As to my my poor espanol (will have to go and see my president.) He kept saying no arial connected outside.( I think that was it )
As he could do nothing to help as everything had been done possible in my apartment.
I have already paid 80Es I did not think it would be so difficult to get Spanish Television
Old Nov 13th 2012, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Kenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond repute

We have a recent installation of new aerial and DTV and all is wonderful apart from Channel 1 which is TVE HD and looks great but has no sound. Have tried everything in the DTV setup and makes no odds. Every other channel is fine and we can get most foreign films and TV series in the original language. I'm assuming there is some quirk in our UK-purchased DTV that misses a trick on the Spanish signal.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fred James
So is the download option only available on the paid HD version?

How do you find the quality on your new HDTV compared to "proper" HD programmes?
Hi Fred,
Yes the download facility is only available on the paid version.

The new TV is excellent.
In my haste, I mistakenly said 'refresh rate' which is the speed that the frame changes i.e. 60, 120, 240 times a second (Hertz).
I should have said '2.1ms response rate', which is the speed at which the pixels switch on and off. For watching TV via. a computer, the best speed is anything 3.0ms or under is excellent.
Now back to the refresh rate.
You can't add detail beyond what is already on the source materiel. All source footage is never greater than 60Hz. (when you watch a movie on a Blue-ray disc, it's a 1080p picture at 60Hz.). What 120, 240Hz sets do is double & quadruple the frame rate speed. This is good for watching football etc. but according to those in the know?, gives a false (plastic) appearance to the background, and that's why the sets with those frame rates are able to turn them off.
Now having explained all that, the answer to your question is, that I can't see any difference between my dual core computer run TV and any other HD TV that I have seen! (and I did go to Specsavers last month ).
The signal coming down the line is HD, it's just you download speed and your equipment that would be the limiting factor!!!

John

Last edited by Saxy; Nov 13th 2012 at 9:04 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 10:40 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It's the same with BBC iPlayer. The HD stream needs a higher bandwidth than I have (3mb/s) so recording it is the only (time consuming option). I guess it would be the same with Filmon in terms of the time it takes to download but at least you get a decent quality picture.

I doubt that it will be as good as BBC HD on Filmon, although it claims to be HD, the don't show the BBC or ITV HD streams so it can't be true HD - just better than SD.

BBC iPlayer does actually stream BBC HD channels but I don't know at what definition.

It's just that if you have a large HD TV then even the satellite SD programmes look poor in comparison to HD programs.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 10:49 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

He kept saying no arial connected outside.( I think that was it )
So if you are not connected to an aerial then your reception will be very limited - hence your limited channels.

Originally Posted by Kenwoodlad
We have a recent installation of new aerial and DTV and all is wonderful apart from Channel 1 which is TVE HD and looks great but has no sound. Have tried everything in the DTV setup and makes no odds. Every other channel is fine and we can get most foreign films and TV series in the original language. I'm assuming there is some quirk in our UK-purchased DTV that misses a trick on the Spanish signal.
Yes. Some UK Freeview branded TVs are not fully compatiable with the systems used in the rest of the world. Blame the Freeview software.
Sometimes it can be with the actual "encoders".
Sometimes it can be simply you / the TV, is selecting an audio stream with no audio!
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fred James
It's the same with BBC iPlayer. The HD stream needs a higher bandwidth than I have (3mb/s) so recording it is the only (time consuming option). I guess it would be the same with Filmon in terms of the time it takes to download but at least you get a decent quality picture.

I doubt that it will be as good as BBC HD on Filmon, although it claims to be HD, the don't show the BBC or ITV HD streams so it can't be true HD - just better than SD.

BBC iPlayer does actually stream BBC HD channels but I don't know at what definition.

It's just that if you have a large HD TV then even the satellite SD programmes look poor in comparison to HD programs.
It's the response rate (the speed at which the pixels change) of the TV that is the limiting factor. Best results are obtained with less than 3.0ms . All modern televisions are different and response time is not the thing that people check when buying (some are 8.0ms). Most walk into the store, and say "that's a good picture we'll have that one".
I did a lot of research on the subject before parting with my cash, and I am very, very, pleased with the results.

John

Sorry, seem to have gone off topic

Last edited by Saxy; Nov 14th 2012 at 12:51 am.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tommy.irene
Good for you , they are selling 50" LG TV here for €450.. with 3D..
The "Experts" recommend the LG32LM6200 for computer TV.

John
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:04 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Guy for your reply
It could be a number of things then ? MMMM
I was hoping for a easy solution
I asked the spanish TV man and he said what I can make out
.As to my my poor espanol (will have to go and see my president.) He kept saying no arial connected outside.( I think that was it )
As he could do nothing to help as everything had been done possible in my apartment.
I have already paid 80Es I did not think it would be so difficult to get Spanish Television
Originally Posted by The Guy
So if you are not connected to an aerial then your reception will be very limited - hence your limited channels.

Yes. Some UK Freeview branded TVs are not fully compatiable with the systems used in the rest of the world. Blame the Freeview software.
Sometimes it can be with the actual "encoders".
Sometimes it can be simply you / the TV, is selecting an audio stream with no audio!
As Guy says, it is the aerial. ISTR at one point in the centre of Granada we only had about 7 (crappy) channels which I put down to the (crappy) communal aerial on top of the flats (a place you would normally expect to get a good signal).
Since moving 20k out to a village with our own antenna I did a restart and rescan on the TDT box and we now get 44 channels + the 4 "new" community channels that have recently started. Some subscription only and others are HD, but the TV isnt up to that standard (old stereo crt job)

What type of aerial do you have, what direction is it pointing in (the same as everyone else). But also what is on the line from the aerial (video recorders, other tv's etc all cause a signal strength reduction (dB's). The best signal comes from an antenna with a single no-break coax cable, a single connector joining 2 pieces could reduce the signal by 3dB - which is alot as you will normally be lucky to get more than 9dB out of the average terrestial aerial.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that some of the original TDT's had restrictions which limited the channels. So although a new series of TDT will cost around €25 - €30 this could also bring you a major upgrade on your channels.

The thing to remember is that on terrestial every signal comes from an individual source, therefore every signal is different. And not all may come from the same master aerial direction. This can all be exacerbated by going digital, the transmitted bandwidth is much narrower so a small difference in the antenna reducing that signal strength means far more than it used to pre-digital.
The things we have to put up with to provide more bandwidth to the mobile operators

hth

`
Old Nov 15th 2012, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Freeview

The Guy did explain some time ago that not all UK TVs can tune the full range of channels available on Spanish digital TV. We have two one a Panasonic plasma 42" about 3 yrs old full HD WITH FREESAT AND FREEVIEW tuners built in only tunes channels from 800 to 848. The other a Sony 23" just has a FREEVIEW tuner and tunes channels 800 to 900 both get digital HD on a few channels and it is very good as good as the FREESAT HD on BBC, ITV, CH4 and any other we come across.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe TDT is a pointer to why Spain is in the financial situation it finds itself in.......they can't seem to get any of the series they show in the correct order
Old Nov 16th 2012, 10:42 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daveinspain
Maybe TDT is a pointer to why Spain is in the financial situation it finds itself in.......they can't seem to get any of the series they show in the correct order
because they are in ENGLISH ??

Old Nov 17th 2012, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Domino
because they are in ENGLISH ??

You'd have hoped the production companies sold them in boxes with numbers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.