Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

FIFA hates poppies!

FIFA hates poppies!

Old Nov 9th 2011, 10:25 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default FIFA hates poppies!

How dare FIFA ban England players from wearing poppies in the forthcoming Spain game. Cameron says it's outrageous:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15643295.stm

Of course the reality is that Fifa can't change the rules on this, lest it opens a can of worms. Wearing a poppy may be traditional here, but so is burning the stars and stripes in Iran and shouting "Death to America". Once you allow this type of demonstration on the pitch (no matter how good the cause) you then have international matches descend into chaos elsewhere..
Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:44 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FIFA hates poppies!

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
How dare FIFA ban England players from wearing poppies in the forthcoming Spain game. Cameron says it's outrageous:

Of course the reality is that Fifa can't change the rules on this, lest it opens a can of worms. Wearing a poppy may be traditional here, but so is burning the stars and stripes in Iran and shouting "Death to America". Once you allow this type of demonstration on the pitch (no matter how good the cause) you then have international matches descend into chaos elsewhere..
If Cameron can whip up said can of worms, it'll hide what he's getting up to....
Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:45 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Just been overturned, and rightly so too.
Now allowed on their black armbands.
They are not a political statement in my opinion but simply a form of remembrance, though sadly we see various disident groups unable or unwilling to grasp this.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:55 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
They are not a political statement in my opinion but simply a form of remembrance, though sadly we see various disident groups unable or unwilling to grasp this.
I know what you're saying, but poppies as a remembrance symbol won't mean a lot in Iran or the Congo etc.
The British Legion are fine with alternatives to having the poppy on the shirt, and I think I'd sooner trust their judgement on this than most.

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/abou...fifa-poppy-ban

Referring to the FIFA ban on poppies being worn on England's shirts, Director General of The Royal British Legion Chris Simpkins said: "There are other ways to honour the poppy than by wearing it on a shirt. The FA has helped us explore every alternative available and we are satisfied that England will enter the competition knowing they have shown proper respect for our Armed Forces."

Working closely with the Legion, FA officials have arranged for a full Two Minute Silence during the training session and a One Minute Silence before the international match, during which a poppy wreath will be laid. Players will wear black armbands in recognition of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice in Service to the nation.

The Royal British Legion has kindly been offered space within Wembley Stadium for poppy images and messages of support. These will be visible to all supporters and viewers at home.
Good move in the end to have a poppy on the armband, methinks.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 5:12 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

There's always someone wanting to cause troble or martyr themselves because they won't be allowed to wear a cross, or a turban, or a bag over their head.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 5:23 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you're saying, but poppies as a remembrance symbol won't mean a lot in Iran or the Congo etc.
The British Legion are fine with alternatives to having the poppy on the shirt, and I think I'd sooner trust their judgement on this than most.

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/abou...fifa-poppy-ban

Good move in the end to have a poppy on the armband, methinks.
They can now wear them on their armbands..

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/091120...ompromise.html

Old Nov 9th 2011, 5:27 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

As a result of the unnecessary offence caused by mainly extremist ethnic groups who were unwilling or to stupid to accept that poppies are simply a symbol of remembrance and respect, it wouldn't surprise me to see extremist right wing groups react by latching on to it, just as they did with the Union flag.

I wonder if our man in Madrid would like to join those who wish to see Christmas banned, as I believe it already has been in one or two places of weird political persuasions ?
Old Nov 9th 2011, 5:32 pm
Not Banned (yet)

As a result of the unnecessary offence caused by mainly extremist ethnic groups who were unwilling or to stupid to accept that poppies are simply a symbol of remembrance and respect, it wouldn't surprise me to see extremist right wing groups react by latching on to it, just as they did with the Union flag.

I wonder if our man in Madrid would like to join those who wish to see Christmas banned, as I believe it already has been in one or two places of weird political persuasions ?
Ha ha ha - even the Daily Mail has had to apologise for this garbage - got this via Twitter yesterday - it's the Daily Mail corrections page. Your question again Dick? No one has been trying to ban Christmas - only in the make-believe world of the Daily Mail and their readers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/arti...rrections.html

We stated in an article on 26 September that Christmas has been renamed in various places Winterval.

Winterval was the collective name for a season of public events, both religious and secular, which took place in Birmingham in 1997 and 1998.

We are happy to make clear that Winterval did not rename or replace Christmas.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 5:38 pm
bil
Banned

Ha ha ha - even the Daily Mail has had to apologise for this garbage - got this via Twitter yesterday - it's the Daily Mail corrections page. Your question again Dick? No one has been trying to ban Christmas - only in the make-believe world of the Daily Mail and their readers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/arti...rrections.html
I assume it's quite a big page?
Old Nov 9th 2011, 6:21 pm
On the road again.

Cobblers,
Try the Telegraph then.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...er-threat.html

Not hard to fathom out who the real DM readers are.
You guys seem to be fully aware of every word they print.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 6:40 pm
bil
Banned

Cobblers,
Try the Telegraph then.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...er-threat.html

Not hard to fathom out who the real DM readers are.
You guys seem to be fully aware of every word they print.
Well, I rerad it, but I don't see anything about xmas being 'banned'.

Personally, I feel the less religion of any form is rammed down kids' throats the better.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 6:47 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by bil
Well, I rerad it, but I don't see anything about xmas being 'banned'.

Personally, I feel the less religion of any form is rammed down kids' throats the better.
Hardly ramming it down kids throats anymore than the Santa Claus stuff is.
I think it's soon generally accepted as being little more than a fairy story such as those you read yourself, but a pleasant fairy story nevertheless.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:43 pm
bil
Banned

Hardly ramming it down kids throats anymore than the Santa Claus stuff is.
I think it's soon generally accepted as being little more than a fairy story such as those you read yourself, but a pleasant fairy story nevertheless.
Oh there's a steady pressure of indoctrination with kids. Before too long they twig about santa, but the xtians have a good backup system.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:46 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

When I wear a poppy, it's a personal choice, and I even have a choice of colours although I prefer the darker one.

I think it's a dangerous step if people are forced to wear one, as appears to be the case with the England team on Saturday.

This 'forcing' is a recent phenomenon, every newsreader is wearing one, even young Murdoch when he was telling lies to the committee today. I appreciate the reason for wearing the poppy and agree with it, but not if it is a government order forced on people who may not even understand its significance.

Our footballers are not the brightest of people, they are managed by an Italian whose country was on the other side in the war which succeeded the one which lead to the poppy tradition. I think that sport should be set aside from political and national traditions, and wonder what the Spanish people will make of it.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:52 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG
When I wear a poppy, it's a personal choice, and I even have a choice of colours although I prefer the darker one.

I think it's a dangerous step if people are forced to wear one, as appears to be the case with the England team on Saturday.
This 'forcing' is a recent phenomenon, every newsreader is wearing one, even young Murdoch when he was telling lies to the committee today. I appreciate the reason for wearing the poppy and agree with it, but not if it is a government order forced on people who may not even understand its significance.

Our footballers are not the brightest of people, they are managed by an Italian whose country was on the other side in the war which succeeded the one which lead to the poppy tradition. I think that sport should be set aside from political and national traditions, and wonder what the Spanish people will make of it.
Hmmm. That's an interesting thought, and one that I heard said the other day. I too, strongly dislike being told I HAVE to wear one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.